Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

I think were going to be hearing about this one for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

my broke rear end got so close to throwing what i figured would be easy money on predictit

there's the one upside i guess

even if she won this still would have been a bad choice

not being rude, its just good stock market sense; you dont pay lots of money for the already successful in the hopes that they get more successful, you flick pennies at beggar companies and wait for one of them to make that penny worth a grand

if the former fails you lose everything, if the latter fails who cares, you just lost a penny

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

RadicalWall posted:

The democrats are finally out of talent. Who is even left? O'Malley?

serious answer: I'd start looking into all the downballot candidates Bernie pointed out

it's clear that's the direction dems need to take going forward

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Covok posted:

Which government type will exist in this region after America falls in 8 years? I say monarchy.

make sense that Emperor Trump will work with his Inner Circle to establish the First States of Trump as his term nears its end.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Charlz Guybon posted:

Biden or Warren might have won. I don't think Bernie had a chance.

Jim Webb would have won.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/796232068535459840?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Sanders was not more likeable than Hillary. No. He lacks charisma. But the fact that he spoke about the poor at all would probably have kept some (enough?) of the people who ended up voting for Trump at home so there could be four more years of this whole thing we have going on trundling along.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Biden or Warren might have won. I don't think Bernie had a chance.

bernie would have crushed it. hillary lost with the working class whites, as expected 1000 times over, she just did so about 50% worse than most thought was possible. would not have happened with bernie, period. he would have made trump look like the elitist bossman fucker . easy win, as has been explained a billion times.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Haystack posted:

I could give two shits about trump. Our foreign policy was already 9/10ths hosed up, and he's too in love with putin to trigger the apocalypse on that front at least

Every other branch of the gov being in republican hands, though... that's keeping me up tonight. Say goodbye obamacare, hello federal right-to-work, just as the appetizer.

the supreme court :(

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nonsense posted:

Thanks Obama
Ffffff-

dropped more than just the mic

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Sanders was not more likeable than Hillary. No. He lacks charisma. But the fact that he spoke about the poor at all would probably have kept some (enough?) of the people who ended up voting for Trump at home so there could be four more years of this whole thing we have going on trundling along.

seriously, it would have been agonizingly easy relative to this stupid bullshit song and dance. flagellate yourself.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nonsense posted:

Goldwater thumbs upping Hillary for her massive win today

turns out hillary never actually changed her views from goldwaterism, it was all a long con to get a white supremacist elected

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

team overhead smash posted:

I would be really interested to have a list of which posters were really adamant about things that turned out to be really wrong. Like not just the election result, but things like Nate Silver being an idiot and 538 being wrong while Bayesian models which predicted a 100% certain victory for Clinton were right.

i made fun of nate silver a lot in the trump thread and thought clinton was the overwhelming favorite going in

wrong, of course

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
What lesson can the Republicans take away from this except that they obviously hadn't been going right wing crazy enough with their tea party flirts. My brother is absolutely thrilled Trump won, and STILL refuses to believe Obama was born here.

Everyone was ready to declare the Republican party dead but now its clear that the Democratic party was the one driving an empty bus.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The question comes to mind: did we do too much satan hailing, or not enough hailing of satan?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
gently caress you also Utah, Trump almost grabbed 50% and McMuffin lost to even Hillary. I didn't even get the chaos EVs I wanted.
Utah is the worst state, in part because they think they are the best state. At least Mississippi is self aware.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Montasque posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/796273905233252352

Well at least I still get my GOP civil war....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDQjtCfUhPw

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As a political cartoonist this is good news

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

if you voted for hillary in the primary, start with 1000 hail marys then report back for personalized instructions

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/796257437175025664

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jBrereton posted:

being likable isn't entirely about charisma

jBrereton posted:

But the fact that he spoke about the poor at all

things like that also have a lot to do with being likable, especially with a demographic that the party has basically been failing for years

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
LoL, at the fact that statistics, polling, ground game, and money meant jack of all poo poo in the end. Chaos reigns and we're all the lost and the damned.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Oh yes, the guy who had a worshipful and enraptured following in love with his grumpy eccentricity has no evidence of likeability.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
President Trump, the last President.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You mean NAFTA which Bush signed and put in place?

It was negotiated by GHWB but not in force until 1994. Clinton (the one with a personality), was elected with support from trade unions under the understanding that the deal would not be enacted. This was in the Democratic platform at the time.

It turns out that minor coalitions in parties don't get policies in their favor because their support can be taken for granted! See: the religious right, trade unions, LBGTQs, etc.

It also turns out that no one gives a gently caress about poor people because they're poor and the whole point to being a politician is to get money and gently caress bitches. That said, you need those poor people to vote for you so you should probably do a little pandering if you want to win.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Well this kinda sucks. In retrospect I've known enough black and hispanic people to realize that chunk of them would be down for trumps rabble rousing as well and ill be banned for forgetting that. The worst part though will be another decade or so of a conservitive supreme court unless barack gets tricky or Trump does something dumb enough to get himself impeach before even taking office.

On the bright side im a middle class white male with solid finances, so at least I should be able to ride this poo poo out v:v:v

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

even if she won this still would have been a bad choice

not being rude, its just good stock market sense; you dont pay lots of money for the already successful in the hopes that they get more successful, you flick pennies at beggar companies and wait for one of them to make that penny worth a grand

if the former fails you lose everything, if the latter fails who cares, you just lost a penny

yeah see this is why i didn't do it

i had a vague sense that it was a dumb idea even if i couldn't articulate it like this

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RadicalWall posted:

What lesson can the Republicans take away from this except that they obviously hadn't been going right wing crazy enough with their tea party flirts. My brother is absolutely thrilled Trump won, and STILL refuses to believe Obama was born here.

Everyone was ready to declare the Republican party dead but now its clear that the Democratic party was the one driving an empty bus.
Technically the republican party is dead, Trump killed it, and is wearing it's skin.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

seriously, it would have been agonizingly easy relative to this stupid bullshit song and dance. flagellate yourself.
I'm not a hillary fan or anything but I think Sanders would honestly have been crushed in the debates and by a media that was probably even more hostile to him than Trump (who it at least pandered to with attention).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thundercracker posted:

LoL, at the fact that statistics, polling, ground game, and money meant jack of all poo poo in the end. Chaos reigns and we're all the lost and the damned.

It's just incredible how much everything has consistently not mattered, and possibly never will again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I would be really interested to have a list of which posters were really adamant about things that turned out to be really wrong. Like not just the election result, but things like Nate Silver being an idiot and 538 being wrong while Bayesian models which predicted a 100% certain victory for Clinton were right.

check out my post history my dude. I will be the first to admit I hosed up real hard

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The correct lesson to take away is that saying your presidential election is rigged, and the laughing stock of the world for months & racist frogs really does help GOTV far more than any inside-baseball OH I REMEMBER THOSE LBJ POLITICAL ADS! ME! I REMEMBER THAT AD!

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

actually terrified at the ramifications of this election regarding journalism in the next few years

jBrereton posted:

don't think any objective measure agrees with that

Walka Blocka Shame
Apr 30, 2006

This is fine
Doctor Rope
I'm gonna try to get in on the ground floor of the Duckworth 2020 campaign. Lordy, 20/20 is apt for oh poo poo we elected a fascist in 2016.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

jBrereton posted:

I'm not a hillary fan or anything but I think Sanders would honestly have been crushed in the debates and by a media that was probably even more hostile to him than Trump (who it at least pandered to with attention).

nope, he was likeable, which is 90% of the fight. the other 10% was identifying with alienated workers. it's literally his entire angle, my god you folks are dense

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How I feel right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0VxGRWPh28

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

well this is a real hosed up thing to wake up to

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nonsense posted:

The remaining cuddly parts of the internet will be torn to shreds.
Oh, undoubtedly. But you listed Reddit and Tumblr as the same, which isn't accurate.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
With this Hillary loss, I'm starting to get the idea you need some kind of, I dunno, charisma to become President. It could be nothing, but I think the rise of all these Talking Picture Machines really ups the need for some Moxie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Pick posted:

Anti-semitism has in no way gone away and it was going to become an issue, among other issues. I wanted a female president more than anything but Dems should have followed one of their own with a face that communicated "stability in more of that", which to the average dipshit is a straight white guy.

you continue to miss the point completely. when people's concern is their jobs are going away and they're sick and poor and desperate and your only response is "it's time for a female president/#ItsHerTurn" and "America is already great" that's not gonna cut it. even if you delete the first part and have a white guy say it, they will still reject you

they don't want stability they want radical change

• Locked thread