Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelancemoth
Apr 28, 2014

https://youtu.be/79Vuee5uxY8

Here is the whole debate: https://youtu.be/RMWEF4jauy4

To believe that SVT/SR/UR is "unbiased" at this point is absurd.

freelancemoth fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Just tells me that living in the urban part of Sweden and having a journalist degree skews towards certain conclusions about society. Just like I'd expect someone with an engineering degree to skew towards policies based on rationalism and cultural students to skew towards those based on structuralism. I'm more concerned about outcome in this regard and SR is way better than anyone else (including SVT) due to their decentralized structure and at sometimes absurdly high regard for the un-partisan work-ethic. DN, SVD and Dagens Samhäll do okay in this regard as well (disregarding opinion pieces of course) but not as well.

You could use the same reasoning to explain high SD percentage in the police force, but it is still the same problematic as vital democratic functions are highly skewed in one policy direction and thus risk disenfranchising a significant part of the voter base that do not share those political leanings.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Just tells me that living in the urban part of Sweden and having a journalist degree skews towards certain conclusions about society. Just like I'd expect someone with an engineering degree to skew towards policies based on rationalism and cultural students to skew towards those based on structuralism. I'm more concerned about outcome in this regard and SR is way better than anyone else (including SVT) due to their decentralized structure and at sometimes absurdly high regard for the un-partisan work-ethic. DN, SVD and Dagens Samhäll do okay in this regard as well (disregarding opinion pieces of course) but not as well.

Sometimes I just wish you could attend a goon-meet or two Cardiac. We agree on so much but disagree so hard on the details when it comes to certain subjects. :sigh:

Yeah, pretty much.

From polls and other studies we know what journalists vote (predominantly left, but not commie-left but rather something like liberal leftish. If one studies the pdf I linked, one will see an increase among journalists for MP and decrease for VP between 1999 and 2005 polls. Schyman left/got kicked out of VP 2003 and was replaced by Ohly, a more hardline commie).
We know their socioeconomic status (above average, but considering how they are getting hosed at the moment due to the newspapers crisis maybe not anymore), education (university/college, so not really working class), where they live (in neighbourhoods on the verge of gentrification like Möllan, Majorna (?) and Söder. 40% live in Stockholm, 10% on Söder).
This is basically the definition of a class.

And of course, as for any other socioeconomic group we would assume a certain worldview in the group about the world and issues.
This is by itself not a problem, if it weren't for the fact that mass media are the main suppliers of news and thus a important player in society.
In other words, journalists should be held to a higher standard of impartiality in the same manner as we would expect from the healthcare and the police.

But what has been seen is that journalists band together, do group think, and consensus breakers are seen as bad. Just look at how upset certain journalists are about Teoderescu at GP.
This is one of the main reasons for the success of alternative news sources like Flashback, since that started as an anonymous forum where immigration and integration could be freely discussed without the public shunning that occurred in mass media prior to last year. Swedish news sources lost parts of their credibility as well as the image of being impartial.

And that is actually the big issue here.
If SVT and SR are seen as being not impartial, then they in the long run open themselves as targets for political opponents.
The culture sphere have just realised that there is a distinct possibility that SD will have influence on the budget and are getting scared about this.
Which for them is especially bad since SD is more or less immune to pressure from mass media.
I am not saying that SVT/SR are there yet, but that is one road that should be avoided.

As for goon meets, they should be in a more civilised and multicultural place down south, not in a gated community like Stockholm.

TheFluff posted:

not really, no

e: no seriously why exactly do you think SR's news reporting and general journalism is "red"? I really ain't seein' it

Considering SR have a big current thing for identity politics, which by definition is a a post-marxist philosophy (also ultimately nihilist) I would consider them to be rather red.
Since you read Tinkzorg, he have done at least 2 public debate articles on identity politics the last couple of weeks.

On the other hand, that doesn't shine through so much because there is only so much political bias you can do in short news clips, except in how you select what you consider newsworthy.
Especially within immigration, integration, IP-conflict this shines through.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

As for goon meets, they should be in a more civilised and multicultural place down south, not in a gated community like Stockholm.

That never stopped goons who were literally from other countries. :v:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
That's a great post. :allears:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Goon meets should be in Kiruna

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kiruna has too much activity and property values, drat Sami making the area attractive. :argh:

We should meet in Grums.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What about Tobo?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Good book on economy in swedish:
http://www.abounderrattelser.fi/news/2015/04/nu-finns-fem-myter-om-finlands-ekonomi-pa-natet.html

It has a simple conclusion. Basically you can only have 2 out of 3 of these things:

A deep economic integration (globalization)
Sovereign national states
Democracy

You can't have all three, you better pick the two you prefer.

EDIT:

Since the book is free online, I can copy/paste this teaser intro, you can see if it sounds like something you'd want to read:

quote:

Rent konkret betyder det här att vi igen måste göra ekonomin till ett medel som hjälper oss att
skapa det slags samhälle vi vill ha; det som mer än något annat karakteriserar det ekonomiska
”demokratiunderskottet” är nämligen att det är ekonomin, eller rättare sagt en liten elits
ekonomiska intressen, som i allt högre grad dikterar hur vårt samhälle förändras.

För att den här kursomläggningen skall vara möjlig måste den marknadsfundamentalistiska
hegemonin inom den ekonomisk-politiska debatten krossas. Det här är, glädjande nog, en
process som redan har kommit igång; som vi sett redan här i inledningen finns det i dag både
akademiska nationalekonomer och tungviktare inom näringslivet som har börjat ifrågasätta den
marknadsfundamentalistiska synen på ekonomin. Det är till den här processen jag vill ge mitt
eget bidrag genom den här boken, där jag avslöjar fem centrala marknadsfundamentalistiska
”myter” för vad de är: till hårda ekonomiska fakta kamouflerade ideologiska ställnings-
taganden. De fem myterna, som behandlas i var sitt kapitel, är

1. Myten om att marknaden fixar allt

2. Myten om att staten är problemet

3. Myten om att skatter är skadliga

4. Myten om att utbudet skapar sin egen efterfrågan

5. Myten om att globaliseringen är här för att stanna

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 19, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does ÅU still have Finn tio fel? I always liked that bit.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

His Divine Shadow posted:

Goon meets should be in Kiruna

A goon meet in an abandon mine/catacombs is very fitting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That'd be more like a goon trip.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

MiddleOne posted:

That'd be more like a goon trip.

I'd attend this trip. I'm embarrassed that in the 8 months we have lived here we have only spent two weeks out of Stockholm, and that was in Gothenburg and Malmö. But we do have Åre and Kiruna on our list this winter.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I'd attend this trip. I'm embarrassed that in the 8 months we have lived here we have only spent two weeks out of Stockholm, and that was in Gothenburg and Malmö. But we do have Åre and Kiruna on our list this winter.

There are people born in Stockholm who spend less time in the non-Stockholm parts of Sweden in their entire lifetime so I wouldn't worry quite yet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

There are people born in Stockholm who spend less time in the non-Stockholm parts of Sweden in their entire lifetime so I wouldn't worry quite yet.
I know a dude like that, he though lives in Moscow. He is 30, and has left Moscow metro area once since being a toddler, for a week or so long vacation.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

Kiruna has too much activity and property values, drat Sami making the area attractive. :argh:

We should meet in Grums.

Snacka inte skit om Grums mf

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

eightpole posted:

Snacka inte skit om Grums mf

Svårt att inte snacka skit när det luktar som det gör.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zudgemud posted:

Svårt att inte snacka skit när det luktar som det gör.

Grums doft är himmelsk tyvm

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

eightpole posted:

Grums doft är himmelsk tyvm

Äkta landsbygd luktar gödsel och blommor.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

Äkta landsbygd luktar gödsel och blommor.

Närmaste det vi kommer här är lukten på raggarbilswunderbaum :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

eightpole posted:

Närmaste det vi kommer här är lukten på raggarbilswunderbaum :(

Jag vet inte varför just min landsbygd saknade volvoraggare. Bara 7km bort på grannorten gömde sig fienden....

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

Jag vet inte varför just min landsbygd saknade volvoraggare. Bara 7km bort på grannorten gömde sig fienden....

Känns lite som att du missade halva upplevelsen.
Landsbygdsuppväxt är inte komplett utan rondellbuller i form av Eddie Meduza...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

eightpole posted:

Känns lite som att du missade halva upplevelsen.
Landsbygdsuppväxt är inte komplett utan rondellbuller i form av Eddie Meduza...

Rondeller? Vad är det för urbant helvetesskap du spenderat tiden i där korsningar inte är gud?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Rondeller? Vad är det för urbant helvetesskap du spenderat tiden i där korsningar inte är gud?

Rondeller existerar inte. I allafall om man ser till antalet nyttjade blinkers i min hemstad.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

Min hemmetropol är ett gäng hus mellan två sådana 8)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Rondeller existerar inte. I allafall om man ser till antalet nyttjade blinkers i min hemstad.
"Jag ska svänga vänster därför ska jag blinka vänster, hurp durp furp. :downs:"

:cripes:

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
no one cares, but Iceland votes today!

The Pirates were expected to come out in front but a new poll shows that Independence (the party you think of when you think "2008 financial crisis" and "Panama papers" and "breaking the law trying to deport legal immigrants") are way out in front. There's still a chance that the Pirates could pull it off, which would probably make for a Pirate-Left Green-Social Democrat-Bright Future coalition government, but that's looking less likely now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Must suck to have your election just over a week earlier than the most hyped up US presidential election of forever. I think SR did some piece about the pirate party a couple of days ago but beyond that I haven't really heard anything.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What happened to the Best Party? I liked their guy.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

eightpole posted:

What happened to the Best Party? I liked their guy.

Oh, they're still around. Bright Future (Björt Framtið) is The Best Party (Besti Flokkurinn) on the national level. Jón Gnarr is working on a sitcom about being mayor of Reykjavík. Óttarr Proppé, current Björt Framtið MP and one of the guys from the 2010 Besti Flokkurinn wave, is set to play Iceland Airwaves next week with his band HAM. He also spends his time teaching children about the alphabet. He's also showed up at Eurovision.

Meanwhile Bjarni Benediktsson, Minister of Finance and scumbag, said on Facebook the other day that taxes haven't increased for the top 20% because 70% of the country are tax cheats. Bjarni Ben got caught with a shell company a couple months ago. The Independence Party, everyone!

edrith fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 29, 2016

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Welp that was a bust. Independence (Sjálfstæðisflokkurinn) came out on top. They're probably going to form a coalition with Restoration (Viðsrein) and the Progressives (Framsóknarflokkur). Cutting of funds for education for some, miniature shell companies for others.

Oh well. We'll always have Shrieking Horse Woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93zTtJOiuNQ

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Read this article which I found interesting.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Aren't the Nordics as a whole blending up a hell of a lot more? I mean, percentage of first gen foreign born in Iceland is a bit over ten percent and that doesn't include Icelanders born abroad or first and second gen immigrants and I'd think there'd be a heckload more of them on the mainland, so it's even more flawed?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Aren't the Nordics as a whole blending up a hell of a lot more? I mean, percentage of first gen foreign born in Iceland is a bit over ten percent and that doesn't include Icelanders born abroad or first and second gen immigrants and I'd think there'd be a heckload more of them on the mainland, so it's even more flawed?

The article touches upon this, but yeah the notion of the Nordic countries being 100% white is no longer completely accurate.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Såg en man gå runt med en SD-jacka i morse. De kommer vara så jävla kaxiga de kommande åren.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Såg en man gå runt med en SD-jacka i morse. De kommer vara så jävla kaxiga de kommande åren.

Yeah, and it is going to be interesting whether our political elite will learn anything from Brexit and Trump winning.
There is an obvious discrepancy between them (for many reasons) and the so-called silent majority.
In other words, pretty please can we avoid having SD at 25% and as largest party.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Yeah, and it is going to be interesting whether our political elite will learn anything from Brexit and Trump winning.
There is an obvious discrepancy between them (for many reasons) and the so-called silent majority.
It's all an effect of neglecting the school for so long. Kids aren't taught fact checking and critical thinking any more, which has given us the fact-resistant generation who only trusts whatever their echo chamber on Facebook says. No matter how many actual truths you shove in their faces they'll ignore it if it doesn't match up with their preconceived world view.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cardiac posted:

They won't, they'll just double down on failing even harder and blame someone else. :smith:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

It's all an effect of neglecting the school for so long. Kids aren't taught fact checking and critical thinking any more, which has given us the fact-resistant generation who only trusts whatever their echo chamber on Facebook says. No matter how many actual truths you shove in their faces they'll ignore it if it doesn't match up with their preconceived world view.

Since young people don't really vote (see Brexit) but old ones do, I guess we should blame the schools in the 60-80s then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Since young people don't really vote (see Brexit) but old ones do, I guess we should blame the schools in the 60-80s then?

What we first need to do is making voting mandatory with fines handed out to people who neglect their civic duty, because people not voting due to laziness just puts democracy in the bin.