Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Apparently Egypt has a bunch of exceptions for flood plains for building districts and wonders. Talk about niche, my question is "Why?"

Nile river theme. They wanted the Nile to be fun for Egypt, not any kind of hindrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

One thing I've noticed that with terrain being more difficult to move through, is that a hell of a lot of movement points on units end up getting wasted by units who end a turn with one movement left that they are unable to use. This really disproportionately affects melee units in particular, and makes the effective movement cost of the terrain even higher than its already large nominal value. I wonder if you'd be able to fix a lot of the issues of unit movement being a slog by simply letting units carry over unused movement points for one turn (excepting units that didn't move at all, of course). This should still let terrain be a factor in deciding where to move units, but might help the game flow a bit better

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
So, I'm not that great at Civ, even though I've played the poo poo out of them all since Civ1 back in high school on old 386's. I'm pretty sure I would have had my poo poo pushed in if I had started Prince, rather than Settler.

For some reason I really like playing the British as, well, the British. Commerce, colonialism, and throwing many ships at a civilisation to make them do what I want. Civ6 lets me do that. I kinda miss the Longbowmen and the Ships of the Line from 5, but insta-infantry in new cities (or ones that you've conquered) is pretty kickin' rad. I found it almost impossible to get other civs to like me enough to do the friendship thing unless I had the same government even though I was pretty much the nice guy, never started any wars or kept cities, and traded fairly.

I was getting late in a marathon game, huge Island Plates map closing in on a science victory ( I made a lot of mistakes) just waiting for the Mars projects to wrap up when both Arabia and America just started making GBS threads out units (mostly Mamluks and Archers respectively) taking up all the free space near my 2nd continent. loving everywhere. Ended up getting a surprise Culture victory 28 turns from my finishing my last Mars project. Neato.

So what to do about all these American units? Denounce-Casus Belli-Colonial War. As I was merrily blasting away Archers with Missile Cruisers and Helichopters, Barbarian Horsemen started replacing destroyed American units. Or they changed into them. Or something. I don't really know, only 3 of them showed up and were promptly blasted.

Anyway, I had enough of that and leveled Washington and Cincinnati with Thermonuclear Warheads. Called it a day.

A++, will be playing again.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

gently caress it. Edited the game files so I can build the Colosseum on a flood plain.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Has Civ6 once again reverted the AI to constantly loving you over for being the only human player, while holding unreasonable love fests with eachother?
I liked Civ4 because an AI state would display some actual loyalty for exceptional long-term cooperation.

Civ5 infuriated me at launch when a country would go from Friendly to Guarded in 1 turn despite stellar relations, cancel all trade deals even if it destroys their country,and denounce you every twenty turns simply because you're the player. The warmonger penalties were also atrocious; I had half the planet hating me because I invaded a city state that no one other than me had ever met

If diplomacy has been dialed back to vanilla Civ5, I'd rather wait for the inevitable expansion pack that stops the AI from foaming at the mouth and stomping my nuts when the day of the week happens to end in "y".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tenbux McGee posted:

Has Civ6 once again reverted the AI to constantly loving you over for being the only human player, while holding unreasonable love fests with eachother?

It seems like it, yeah. My last game saw a bloody war between America and the Vikings. America conquered their capital city and captured all their city state allies, and then one turn after they made peace, Harald makes a DoF with Roosevelt

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Old Balls McGee posted:

So what to do about all these American units? Denounce-Casus Belli-Colonial War. As I was merrily blasting away Archers with Missile Cruisers and Helichopters, Barbarian Horsemen started replacing destroyed American units. Or they changed into them. Or something. I don't really know, only 3 of them showed up and were promptly blasted.

those barbarians were probably spawned from american cities being very unhappy. happens alot when you siege/pillage a city.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I miss the proper actual borders. Look at that map where it actually seems like proper actual countries instead of splodges around cities.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Taear posted:

I miss the proper actual borders. Look at that map where it actually seems like proper actual countries instead of splodges around cities.

I am terrified to find myself in agreement with you on something, Taear.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Megazver posted:

I am terrified to find myself in agreement with you on something, Taear.

I swear we had an argument about this when Civ5 first game out since that was the same.

I've shelved the game for now. Since you can't win a team victory in multiplayer and that's pretty much all I play it's getting boring letting the games just...stop. Unless you want to sit around for ages until the space race completes, I guess.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tenbux McGee posted:

I liked Civ4 because an AI state would display some actual loyalty for exceptional long-term cooperation.

Civ5 infuriated me at launch when a country would go from Friendly to Guarded in 1 turn despite stellar relations, cancel all trade deals even if it destroys their country,and denounce you every twenty turns simply because you're the player. The warmonger penalties were also atrocious; I had half the planet hating me because I invaded a city state that no one other than me had ever met

If diplomacy has been dialed back to vanilla Civ5, I'd rather wait for the inevitable expansion pack that stops the AI from foaming at the mouth and stomping my nuts when the day of the week happens to end in "y".

No, the AI also hates each other pretty much as a default state now. There are occasionally friendly relations and alliances that pop up here and there but they're an exception.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Taear posted:

I hate hate hate the tile-by-tile border expansion system for this very reason. Even during the endgame, my territory often looks like one of those maps of the territory ISIS controls in Syria

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

I miss the proper actual borders.

oh god same.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Spakstik posted:

I hate hate hate the tile-by-tile border expansion system for this very reason. Even during the endgame, my territory often looks like one of those maps of the territory ISIS controls in Syria

Mechanically it also means the AI loving dropping tiny cities in your "holes". I get the slow expansion but it should level out as you go further in the game.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
It also made the culture war more interesting

the more I play the more I find myself agreeing with all you Civ4-rose-tinted-glass-wearing-old-timers

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Go back to the glory days of Alpha Centauri, where the game would auto-calculate you some borders around a big chunk of land every time someone dropped a city!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

wyoak posted:

It also made the culture war more interesting

the more I play the more I find myself agreeing with all you Civ4-rose-tinted-glass-wearing-old-timers

I really enjoy a lot of the mechanics. I even find 1UPT alright although moving a large army takes forever. But Civ6 does have a lot of really stupid problems that release Civ4 seemed to have got over.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

When is the Trump DLC coming out

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Have you had a game where it just shows the "game over" window without any warning or way to see why you lost?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Someone made it already, but it's boring and uninspired.

Something about walls giving gold and banks giving extra gold. blah, blah, blah.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

So, industrial and entertainment districts share their thing with all cities that are not more than 6 tiles apart? Any other districts that do this?

Does this also count if there is water inbetween, such as two cities on different islands?

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Das Butterbrot posted:

those barbarians were probably spawned from american cities being very unhappy. happens alot when you siege/pillage a city.

Huh, weird. Any other time war was declared on me I just ended up crushing their units and pillaging all the improvements until they offered peace. I didn't even pillage Cincinnati's tiles. The little siege icon only came up once, but that's the first time Barbarian units spawned like that.

Oh well, I'll have to watch for that next time, thanks!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

So, industrial and entertainment districts share their thing with all cities that are not more than 6 tiles apart? Any other districts that do this?

Does this also count if there is water inbetween, such as two cities on different islands?

Not the districts themselves, but the later buildings do (factories/power plants/zoos/stadiums). And it's 6 tiles from the district itself, not 6 tiles between cities (so each city center within 6 tiles of the district gets the bonuses). It crosses water as far as I know, and the only other thing I know of that does this is the Colosseum wonder. There might have been something else, but I can't think of it right now.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ok, time to start planning my games a bit better. Thanks for the info!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gort posted:

If you're planning to build Stonehenge, remember to take the policy that gives you faith in the early game, as the Great Prophet Stonehenge gives you is useless until you get a pantheon!

Right, Stonehenge, so that's 2/7. Still no way of explaining how 2 religions turned to 6 while I've had the lead literally every turn. The only other thing I could think of would be a massive GPP boost at the beginning that would allow the AI to outright buy GPs, but those buyout costs are twice (or more) of what it would cost to get them organically anyway.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

Right, Stonehenge, so that's 2/7. Still no way of explaining how 2 religions turned to 6 while I've had the lead literally every turn. The only other thing I could think of would be a massive GPP boost at the beginning that would allow the AI to outright buy GPs, but those buyout costs are twice (or more) of what it would cost to get them organically anyway.

What do you mean? The buyout uses gold or faith, which are entirely different currencies than Great Prophet points. It could be that at high difficulties, the bonuses make buying Great Prophets viable.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fryhtaning posted:

District projects? Maybe the AI had 2 holy sites running Holy Site prayers. I see Great Prophets get snatched up pretty quick and I assume it's due to a combination of the AI running Holy Site Prayers (which I tend to do early on if I want a religion) and their gold/faith bonuses.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tuxedo Gin posted:

gently caress it. Edited the game files so I can build the Colosseum on a flood plain.

Which files do you edit to make that happen?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Megazver posted:

Go back to the glory days of Alpha Centauri, where the game would auto-calculate you some borders around a big chunk of land every time someone dropped a city!

The nationalism civic would be a good time to just fill in all those border gaps within your territory. Good theming and it's after the time when tile by tile expansion has high strategic value

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I'm pretty new to the whole Civ series (I played Civ2 way back in the day as a kid). Are there any streamers/let play folks that do good commentary on their gameplay, suitable for beginners learning?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Civ V became a lot better with one of the "culture expansion rate doubled" mods. Pretty borders own, especially if the modder also decided to make it configure to mountains/rivers/coasts/equal space between cities.

The Human Crouton posted:

Someone made it already, but it's boring and uninspired.

Something about walls giving gold and banks giving extra gold. blah, blah, blah.

How about, "Gov't legacy bonuses propagate 15% faster for each missing Amenity," "Foreign Tourism upon you is halved if the other Civ follows a different gov't from you," or "+1 Amenity in each city for every 5 turns (scaling w/game speed) it spends in negative Happiness?"

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

prefect posted:

Which files do you edit to make that happen?

\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data

The specific one I edited to do this was Buildings. They're pretty straightforward. (Flood plains are a terrain feature, not a terrain type, so I added Colosseum and floodplains under valid features).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tuxedo Gin posted:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data

The specific one I edited to do this was Buildings. They're pretty straightforward. (Flood plains are a terrain feature, not a terrain type, so I added Colosseum and floodplains under valid features).

Thanks. :tipshat:

I wonder if I can make the game start me off with a million gold pieces. :swoon:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Also holy poo poo China with pyramids and serfdom civic. Builders with 7 actions that can rush early wonders. I got every single ancient and classical wonder except for Stonehenge

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

prefect posted:

I wonder if I can make the game start me off with a million gold pieces. :swoon:

That's how I used to play Civ 3 :getin:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chalks posted:

Have you had a game where it just shows the "game over" window without any warning or way to see why you lost?

:drat:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I've been playing some 4 and 5 player games with friends and it's pretty fun, but the AIs are just bad and terribly annoying (missionary conga line is the loving worst), and tech progression is both kind of nonsensical (after you grab education you are only 2 techs away from chemistry and AT crews) and spirals out of control in the renaissance era it seems.

That said multiplayer is alot of fun, I'm waging an irrational war of vengeful fury against a friend who used a spy to twice steal a crapload of gold from me, and now I am taking it back, one way or another.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

District projects? Maybe the AI had 2 holy sites running Holy Site prayers. I see Great Prophets get snatched up pretty quick and I assume it's due to a combination of the AI running Holy Site Prayers (which I tend to do early on if I want a religion) and their gold/faith bonuses.

Interesting idea - I'd need to see what kind of yields there are. They were also cranking out Wonders at the same time, but I'm guessing Emperor on a classical start gives them 3-4 cities pretty quickly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I've been playing some 4 and 5 player games with friends and it's pretty fun, but the AIs are just bad and terribly annoying (missionary conga line is the loving worst), and tech progression is both kind of nonsensical (after you grab education you are only 2 techs away from chemistry and AT crews) and spirals out of control in the renaissance era it seems.

In Civ4/5 the age changes were pretty important. In this I don't care. It doesn't tell you in multiplayer that you've changed age and until recently I hadn't actually noticed because it's so disconnected from the way the actual tech tree works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The thing that burns me in this game is religion; if you don't found one, you cannot defend yourself from the AI civs spamming missionaries at you, and you cannot stave off an religious win without conventional war.

Either they need to enable you to close boarders to missionaries, or maybe give you an atheist unit. Some guy in a trenchcoat and fedora or something.