Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Our only hope is that even if Trump is a Putin wanneabee...

... two Putins in a room will immediately get to hating each other out of prideful jealousy.

For all talk of further decline in US-Russian relations in the case of Clinton presidency, Clinton would have been a predictable politician with a button.
Even Putin is a comparatively stable figure - everyone knows his goals and mission statements: no NATO in Eastern Europe, expensive oil, a seat at the big table.
Trump is a wildcard with severe ego problems - Russia is going to change its tune once he calls Putin a bald midget on a G7 summit after some Russian partner kicks him on a business deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Does this mean in the eyes of all the pro-Assad, pro-Putin, conspiracy theorists who supported Trump and accuse me of taking money from the US government that it's now okay to take that money?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

president le pen will let the russian tanks parade on the champs elyséees

Doesn't seem so bad, the previous presidents have invited pretty much everyone for the 14 juillet. We've had every single EU country, most Francophone African countries, the USA, Morocco, Brazil, India, Australia and New Zealand, so why not Russia?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

So, will the next ambassador to Russia be Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal or that dude from limp bizkit?
Certainly not Seagal, he is Russian citizen now.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

rear end struggle posted:

I'm so sorry for all the Baltic and Polish goons.

At least they have NATO.

I'm from Finland. We have rejected NATO membership and opted for some fantasy "we'll join when situation calls for it". Once situation changed in mid-2000s we decided to stay and wait.
Once it became clear that no such option existed in early 2010s, we decided to count on European Union. Then Brexit happened. Then we consoled ourselves with having special relationship with USA. Then Trump happened.

I do not look forward to live under corrupt pro-Russian kleptocracy for the rest of my life, because even though pro-Russian governments are not necessarily horrible, wriggling away from Russia's sphere of influence has historically required blood.

Thankfully, our administrating coalition has a) corrupt Area Party people who vehemently deny any and all political dimensions of Russian nuclear power plant they support and openly wish for less EU and more Russia and b) STRONG PEOPLE VOLK PARTY of neo-nazis and right-wing demagogues who repeatedly implicitly call for Russia to invade to "teach these leftists some manners".

:suicide:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

alex314 posted:

So, will the next ambassador to Russia be Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal or that dude from limp bizkit?
gently caress you. I hadn't really realized that Trump was going to be appointing people to ambassadorships and they're all going to be rubber-stamped by the Senate. What the gently caress kind of people is he going to appoint?

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 9, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

El Perkele posted:

At least they have NATO.

I'm from Finland. We have rejected NATO membership and opted for some fantasy "we'll join when situation calls for it". Once situation changed in mid-2000s we decided to stay and wait.
Once it became clear that no such option existed in early 2010s, we decided to count on European Union. Then Brexit happened. Then we consoled ourselves with having special relationship with USA. Then Trump happened.

Hey France still has an independent nuclear deterrent.

You might want to look into sucking up to France in the coming years. You've got a good opportunity to do so. Just saying. :wink:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

It's going to be a very interesting transition period with Trump facing fraud lawsuits.

A popular president, unemployment under 5 percent, deficit reduced lower than its ever been, and we're replacing that with a foul-mouthed sex predator whose already made stock market futures drop 800 points.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

You might want to look into sucking up to France in the coming years. You've got a good opportunity to do so. Just saying. :wink:

I wonder how many nations saddled with F-35 white elephants in exchange for US security guarantees are now desperately trying to find some exit clause in their contracts.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I think I'm trapped in some sort of nightmare and can't wake up. This has been the worst year politically that I can remember. Time to start learning Russian I guess.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Well, he also said at the end of September

quote:

As president I will honor Poland’s sacrifices for freedom. We’re committed to a strong Poland, very committed, totally committed, and a strong Eastern Europe as a bulwark for freedom and security." Along with stating: "We want NATO to be strong which means we want more nations to follow the example of Poland
So it might not be as bad as it seems?
Maybe EE governments will finally start building defenses (not that it would matter much without collective defense). If they're already not Putin lovers and wannabes.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 9, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think his point has been to make sure that Europe pays for its own defense, which can mean lots of different things to lots of different people, including turning smaller countries into glorified US tributaries through coercion in procurement, but what is disconcerting is that he seems he would be fine with Russian meddling in European affairs as long as it didn't involve direct military action.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Cat Mattress posted:

Finland bought the "previous" nuclear reactor before the Russian deal from a French company. "Previous" in quotes because it was supposed to start producing energy in 2009 or so. Current estimate is that the construction may finish this decade. :v:

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 9, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Valiantman posted:

Finland bought the "previous" nuclear reactor before the Russian deal from a French company. "Previous" in quotes because it was supposed to start producing energy in 2009 or so. Current estimate is that the construction may finish this decade. :v:

Yeah but the Rafale actually works (and is probably the best fighter on the market right now, even), contrarily to the EPR.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

El Perkele posted:

At least they have NATO.

I do not look forward to live under corrupt pro-Russian kleptocracy for the rest of my life, because even though pro-Russian governments are not necessarily horrible, wriggling away from Russia's sphere of influence has historically required blood.

Thankfully, our administrating coalition has a) corrupt Area Party people who vehemently deny any and all political dimensions of Russian nuclear power plant they support and openly wish for less EU and more Russia and b) STRONG PEOPLE VOLK PARTY of neo-nazis and right-wing demagogues who repeatedly implicitly call for Russia to invade to "teach these leftists some manners".

:suicide:

How is there a strong pro-Russian Finnish nationalist movement? I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering there are so many Russian neo-Nazis, but isn't 90% of modern Finnish flagwaving patriotic history based on fighting Russians?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
99% of modern Russian patriotism was centered around beating the Nazi Germany in "the great war", but that never stopped Putin from making russia into a fascist dictatorship shithole, did it.

Patriotism, and especially nazism are targeted at people who aren't very smart in the first place. They're very much the modern version of old religions, intended to herd people into obedient armies, and them wanting to do it out of their own will, because "it'll be better for *us* if we poo poo on them/take their poo poo". Because the world is a zero sum game, duh

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

How is there a strong pro-Russian Finnish nationalist movement? I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering there are so many Russian neo-Nazis, but isn't 90% of modern Finnish flagwaving patriotic history based on fighting Russians?

I think we are seeing more and more that modern day "nationalism" is really quite internationalist. It's about broad internationalist goals like keeping muslims out of europe and such rather than an actual revivification of traditional ethnic values peculiar to each nationality.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

99% of modern Russian patriotism was centered around beating the Nazi Germany in "the great war", but that never stopped Putin from making russia into a fascist dictatorship shithole, did it.
Yeah, well, that's just the good old saying A "We beat Hitler!" and tactically not mentioning B "Stalin was the same".
Modern-day nationalism is about whom it is currently fashionable to hate.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

It's complicated.

Finnish nationalistic right operates inside a parachute of several partially overlapping organizations, as well as one major and several minor political parties. Parts of the far right are your standard Russian propaganda tools, parts just love what Russia does to minorities, parts have pathological hatred for minorities/women/gays, parts hate Russia with a passion and some parts are completely opportunistic or pragmatic.

The largest faction for all sorts of far right opinions is currently a ruling coalition party, True Finns. Their leader is your standard right-wing populist (ACRE in EP) which is also the foreign minister. He's surprisingly good as foreign minister, but absolutely horrible domestically. He hates the fringe right in his party, but cannot rule without them and gives them power inside the party. The regional True Finns organizations range from unapologetic neo-nazis to left-wing populism. Most of True Finns are by no means pro-Russia, but they are consistently anti-EU. Even more than that, they consider EU sanctions against Russia an economic hardship that does not suit Finland's interests.

Edit: As posters above me have stated, the far-right believes Russia currently shares their political goals and they don't necessarily consider liberal democracies real countries anyways. For majority of Finnish voters the idea of Russia getting more involved in Finnish politics falls firmly into "bad thing" category, but reasons for that range from Russophobia to general independence movement to land deals to Winter War or whatever.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 9, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U52Rtd8Bbc4

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012
Not sure if already posted
https://twitter.com/errnews/status/796341217290293248

edit: bad copy/paste - fixed

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
It's kind of neat to be a citizen of a little chicken shaped country, which no one ever bothers to notice and then through sheer insanity of the election, now has possible influence on the most powerful country on the planet.

It's going to end badly, of course, but it's still kind of neat.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cat Mattress posted:

Doesn't seem so bad, the previous presidents have invited pretty much everyone for the 14 juillet. We've had every single EU country, most Francophone African countries, the USA, Morocco, Brazil, India, Australia and New Zealand, so why not Russia?

I mean sure whatever, it's just an expression.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 9, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pajser posted:

It's kind of neat to be a citizen of a little chicken shaped country, which no one ever bothers to notice and then through sheer insanity of the election, now has possible influence on the most powerful country on the planet.

Thanks to you, I discovered this.
http://twentytwowords.com/what-european-countries-look-like-to-one-creative-cartoonist-23-pictures/

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Croatia is a dragon!?

Why do they always get all the cool stuff, like sandy beaches and good healthcare?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pajser posted:

Croatia is a dragon!?

Why do they always get all the cool stuff, like sandy beaches and good healthcare?

Filthy batman talking to an old ghost while being licked also have that.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Enjoy the US pulling out of NATO and europe being too chickenshit and cowardly to actually fund any sort of european military and putin bullying or outright invading a big ol' sphere for him self.

you mean "enjoy being part of russia again" right :)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Zudgemud posted:

Filthy batman talking to an old ghost while being licked also have that.

Denmark is definitely the best.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pajser posted:

It's not really a thing. Melanija even changed her name, to be less Slovenian. Neither she nor trump give a poo poo.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Truga posted:

Patriotism, and especially nazism are targeted at people who aren't very smart in the first place. They're very much the modern version of old religions, intended to herd people into obedient armies, and them wanting to do it out of their own will, because "it'll be better for *us* if we poo poo on them/take their poo poo". Because the world is a zero sum game, duh

Did you mean to say 'nationalism', not patriotism?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

Did you mean to say 'nationalism', not patriotism?
Given that Truga is from Eastern Europe, I can understand the rather blurry distinction between the two.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Truga posted:

It's not really a thing. Melanija even changed her name, to be less Slovenian. Neither she nor trump give a poo poo.

lol our esteemed politicians and journalists are slobbering all over Sevnica.

There hasn't been an immigrant first lady in over two hundred years.
He needs friends for his foreign policy and we don't have any real ones.

You don't get this kind of chance in politics.

Pajser fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 9, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pajser posted:

lol our esteemed politicians and journalists are slobbering all over Sevnica.

There hasn't been an immigrant first lady in over two hundred years.
He needs friends for his foreign policy and we don't have any real ones.

You don't get this kind of chance in politics.

Slovenia could audition for the role of fifth column now that the UK is out.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Speaking of the former Yugoslavia, who else is hyped for Republika Srpska's independence referendum in 2018? :thumbsup:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

AceRimmer posted:

Speaking of the former Yugoslavia, who else is hyped for Republika Srpska's independence referendum in 2018? :thumbsup:
I'm suddenly imagining Donald Trump chomping on the Balkan states as they get tinier and tinier - like corn flakes.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-pUHYXRvIk

BREAKING: Putin says Russia now 'ready and willing' to restore full relations with the USA

quote:

Trump has done more for Global peace within 24 hours, than Obama has in 8 years...

quote:

Trump already doing more than Clinton and Obama and hasn't been in office yet. #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
:downsbravo:

It will still be two months until Obama's presidency ends. Also, I don't think anybody is exactly sure how Trump would handle this, seeing as he has said one thing, then the other...

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im worried that as a Ukrainian American, most of my fellow Slavs are pro Trump, despite the fact he has little love for NATO or care for Ukraine. When I point this out they go silent. This is one of the leading Ukrainian fraternal sites on the east coast http://www.soyuzivka.com/ . They still have black face Halloween parties and are basically a Slavic Bohemian Grove, but poor and with cocaine. These are the white folk who are the decedents of war refugees and are now saying the Muslims shouldn't be let in because they cant be trusted (like the communists). This is basically a moneyed middle class white demographic that is whole FYGM.

Whats hosed up is that "we" have charities in open street fairs in NYC raising money for the war effort in Ukraine, but they all support someone who is mostly likely to prohibit such activities. Ive heard gay Ukrainians say they support Republicans, and are comfortable with with the status quo because "I wont allow others to dictate my life".

Gaj fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 10, 2016

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gaj posted:

Im worried that as a Ukrainian American, most of my fellow Slavs are pro Trump, despite the fact he has little love for NATO or care for Ukraine. When I point this out they go silent. This is one of the leading Ukrainian fraternal sites on the east coast http://www.soyuzivka.com/ . They still have black face Halloween parties and are basically a Slavic Bohemian grove. These are the white folk who are the decedents of war refugees and are now saying the Muslims shouldn't be let in because they cant be trusted (like the communists). This is basically a moneyed middle class white demographic that is whole FYGM.

I've had the exact same experiences with US Poles. Embarrassing, depressing and disgusting.