Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Max posted:

Yeah I had the literal same thought this morning.

I haven't gone to bed yet so I still have that waking nightmare feeling, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I went to bed dosed up on NyQuil and a single glass of white wine and woke up a few minutes ago and just... stared at my hand in the dark. It was very cinematic.

Hi Ec wish you were back under better circumstances:(

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Love you, Ecco. Welcome back. Sorry we're nightmare world now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I see

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Flying Leatherman posted:

I woke up and last night wasn't a dream.

drat it.

Yeah same I took a long nap and it just sank in really again what this means and what that man represents. gently caress. gently caress trying to be hopeful before. It's really going down the drain.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oh, hey, Ecco is here.

I had a whole thing where I was going to take a really extended break after the games I am in wrapped up (they are both going on for quite a while) for reasons that may or may not involve how I saw things happen, but now it feels like I don't even remember or care about that anymore. I'm glad Ecco is back, I like chatting with them, and I like chatting with you all, even if it seems like or looks like I actively don't sometimes. I'd much rather spend my time arguing with you all than just forcibly removing myself.

Anyway, I may still take a break anyway, but it won't be as dramatic as I first envisioned it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah same I took a long nap and it just sank in really again what this means and what that man represents. gently caress. gently caress trying to be hopeful before. It's really going down the drain.

My wife gets pretty annoyed with me whenever I start doomsaying about anything in the world, like climate change and insane gun people, but she woke up this morning and told me she understood the feeling for the first time and that actually made me more upset than anything else.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Max posted:

Oh, hey, Ecco is here.

I had a whole thing where I was going to take a really extended break after the games I am in wrapped up (they are both going on for quite a while) for reasons that may or may not involve how I saw things happen, but now it feels like I don't even remember or care about that anymore. I'm glad Ecco is back, I like chatting with them, and I like chatting with you all, even if it seems like or looks like I actively don't sometimes. I'd much rather spend my time arguing with you all than just forcibly removing myself.

Anyway, I may still take a break anyway, but it won't be as dramatic as I first envisioned it.

Ecco's great as are the rest of you. I don't play much these days but the community's fine.

Max posted:

My wife gets pretty annoyed with me whenever I start doomsaying about anything in the world, like climate change and insane gun people, but she woke up this morning and told me she understood the feeling for the first time and that actually made me more upset than anything else.

Yeah each time I try to think it's not going to be that bad. But his policy points, few as they are, are pretty catastrophic. And then I remember who he is and what he's going to be and it's unbelievable. Him? I ask. And that's that. I wasn't necessarily enthusiastic for Clinton, but she seemed like someone who can be president. He doesn't by any stretch of the imagination.

4 years at the least and then what.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Max posted:

Dear lord that's loving depressing. Sorry America.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I am honestly, seriously looking into moving to Australia on a student visa.

gently caress the people who voted for that bloated bigot or third party

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Man, I felt better on 9/11.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

CCKeane posted:

Yikes

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
They're still counting in New Hampshire, and Clinton is ahead. I hope it stays irrelevantly blue.

Live free or die, bitches.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Chic Trombone posted:

I am honestly, seriously looking into moving to Australia on a student visa.

gently caress the people who voted for that bloated bigot or third party

Australia's worst! One time their PM disappeared.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

how

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Mr. F! posted:

Australia's worst! One time their PM disappeared.

I have family in aussieland so its probably easier for me to get a visa there than other places is why I'm looking at Australia specifically

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

wouldn't be much of a disappearance if we knew what happened

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

uh

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I don't think it's nearly that bad but I am seriously looking into my irish citizenship lol

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

wouldn't be much of a disappearance if we knew what happened

It's such a weird story. What was it like to live during that?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not joking. The evening of 9/11 I was with my family and we were trading the phone off arranging ways to volunteer and help. We all knew it was awful but we all knew it was one day and we could get through it.

How do we get through this?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

I don't think it's nearly that bad but I am seriously looking into my irish citizenship lol

I haven no idea what one could do there for work but I love that country.

I get you Keane.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Does Ireland need professional dodgeballers because if so do I have a deal for them.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

CCKeane posted:

I'm not joking. The evening of 9/11 I was with my family and we were trading the phone off arranging ways to volunteer and help. We all knew it was awful but we all knew it was one day and we could get through it.

How do we get through this?

I know it looks negative right now, but Trump has multiple times in the race said that he was playing the extremes in order to win.

His campaign team listened to right wing radio shows and distilled the callers fears into their campaign strategy. His entire plan and everything he's said so far has been a ploy to get in the White House.

Look at the stances he took in the primaries. He was pretty drat moderate then.

Hillary ran a poor campaign.

I don't like that trump won more than anyone else, but I'm oddly hopeful that a lot of the worst stuff he's said is just exaggerated rhetoric

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

I know it looks negative right now, but Trump has multiple times in the race said that he was playing the extremes in order to win.

His campaign team listened to right wing radio shows and distilled the callers fears into their campaign strategy. His entire plan and everything he's said so far has been a ploy to get in the White House.

I don't like that trump won more than anyone else, but I'm oddly hopeful that a lot of the worst stuff he's said is just exaggerated rhetoric

It don't matter when that's enough to get elected. People think that's okay.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

He's been given a mandate to be as racist as he wants, even if he doesn't go through with it. What does that say about our country?

CCKeane posted:

Does Ireland need professional dodgeballers because if so do I have a deal for them.

Could make you a good rugby man.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
don't blame me, I voted for memes

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

CCKeane posted:

The weirdest thing that I've seen so far about this election is that 7 million fewer democrats voted this year

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

He's been given a mandate to be as racist as he wants, even if he doesn't go through with it. What does that say about our country?

Could make you a good rugby man.

I've got thighs like tree trunks.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

CCKeane posted:

I'm pretty sure that's illegal

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the problem is that Trump could walk back on literally every single bad thing he has said and be Jesus incarnate as president, but the damage of spewing that rhetoric and managing to get elected goes far far far beyond the oval office

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I haven no idea what one could do there for work but I love that country.

I get you Keane.

They have a robust tech sector

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

You must have Irish heritage. Keane is super Irish.

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

They have a robust tech sector

Well there you go. It's a country that suffers from population drain for sure. And while Dublin is becoming a mini-London (though it has 30 years to go probably) the rest of the countryside is void of people but absolutely amazing.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
:(

:glomp:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You must have Irish heritage. Keane is super Irish.

Well there you go. It's a country that suffers from population drain for sure. And while Dublin is becoming a mini-London (though it has 30 years to go probably) the rest of the countryside is void of people but absolutely amazing.

Yep, half Irish, grandfather was an immigrant.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Mr. F! posted:

The issue isn't this mags. It's hearts and minds. The problem is all around us. It's our friends and family. The people who bought into the bullshit. What we, the rational people, believed were a crazy fringe minority.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Yep, half Irish, grandfather was an immigrant.

I'm pretty sure they have a grandfather clause. Like you could get citizenship. Italy does that for you Italo-Americans, and they're dying for young white blood. But then again they had Berlusconi before it was cool.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 9, 2016

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Moatillata posted:

The issue isn't this mags. It's hearts and minds. The problem is all around us. It's our friends and family. The people who bought into the bullshit. What we, the rational people, believed were a crazy fringe minority.

Well I don't believe every person who voted for trump was a racist piece of poo poo. Democrats have largely ignored working class people for a loooong time.

The American working class sees the divide between them and the middle and upper class getting wider and wider and no one is trying to fix anything.

To them, Hillary was an entity owned by special interests and lobbyists. Hillary had many plans to help those groups out and she would have if she was made president. But her campaign, and the media in general, was too busy slamming trump to explain any of the ways she could help those groups.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm pretty sure they have a grandfather clause. Like you could get citizenship. Italy does that for you Italo-Americans, and they're dying for young :spoiler:white:/spoiler: blood. But then again they had Berlusconi before it was cool.

I have Irish and German heritage. How does the grandfather clause work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mr. F! posted:

Well I don't believe every person who voted for trump was a racist piece of poo poo. Democrats have largely ignored working class people for a loooong time.

The American working class sees the divide between them and the middle and upper class getting wider and wider and no one is trying to fix anything.

To them, Hillary was an entity owned by special interests and lobbyists. Hillary had many plans to help those groups out and she would have if she was made president. But her campaign, and the media in general, was too busy slamming trump to explain any of the ways she could help those groups.

a good and correct post. there are many people who have rightfully felt left out by the political game and this was their chance to try to reenfranchise themselves. it might seem like lunacy to suggest it, but the same voting bloc probably would have voted left (maybe not to the same degree in absolute value terms) in a hypothetical Sanders vs Cruz race as it was the same divide of washington insiders vs someone they can identify with as on the outside

we can still be our best and improve ourselves and take this as another challenge for an already resilient people.