Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

My Linux Rig posted:

More bitching about the poor lower class, whatever will they do now???

Surprise motherfuckers, their the ones who supported the Trumpster the most

Yeah thinking the poor don't like him is crazy, in the general he was the only one talking about how they've been screwed over. I don't think he has a plan to actually help them, but he at least looked and talked to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
From my perspective, this is looking like the beginnings of a train wreck or house fire. And I'm hoping it would be huge. The schadenfreude I will get from it would be delicious. After all America, you chose him, didn't you?

(The wall's going to be great. I really want it to be built, just to see how ineffectual it is.)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

plushpuffin posted:

Everyone saying that this has happened before and we survived slavery and Jim Crow and Nixon is refusing to acknowledge climate change. We weren't facing the horrible effects 40-50 years ago. We are now, and it's going to get worse. Much worse. Every single year. There's been a low-level extinction event ongoing since we killed off the Mastadons, but it's accelerating right now into a very rapid mass die-off. Just try agitating to preserve our social progress as our government becomes ever-more authoritarian and we're losing a New Orleans-sized city every few years while running out of fresh water for drinking and irrigation.

This is actually my biggest fear at this point. I don't care what Trump does to the social politics of this country (and yes I am a straight white male) because, as horrible as rolling back gay marriage and re-banning abortion are, we can FIX those later.

We CANNOT fix climate change later. Hands down. We had to fix it twenty years ago, but we didn't, so the best we could have done was fix it now. Now we won't. gently caress, I wanted to live to see space travel become slightly more routine in my lifetime! I have a shirt that says "Too late for tall ships, too soon for star ships!" I guess I'll wear that ironically after KSC floods due to climate change now!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cheesus posted:

I'm genuinely curious; what makes you thinks either part of this is true and/or will happen?

Not that person, but it'd probably be better ratings. Who doesn't want to be Woodward or Bernstein?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

65 million people voted for Obama in 2012

50 million voted for Hillary

I hate Dems

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

More bitching about the poor lower class, whatever will they do now???

Surprise motherfuckers, their the ones who supported the Trumpster the most

Yeah because he promised them the nice paying factory shop jobs back. Well I have a news flash, their not coming back and their wallmart jobs will die when the recession hits. Now who do you think they'll blame? Oh yes the guy who is in power when they lost their jobs.

You see I love that people in this thread think that a man who lost the popular vote and mostly had Hillary being the wife of Bill Nafta Clintoon to thank for his victory is somehow magical, and will just initiate a thousand years of Republican darkness. I swear you are all worse then Freep.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Crowsbeak posted:

Trump lost the popular vote and he'll have two percent less supporters next time.

I'd say that this will be the kick in the pants the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact needs to get to the magic 270 figure but I don't think there are enough Democratic state houses left to make it happen.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Glazier posted:

Yeah thinking the poor don't like him is crazy, in the general he was the only one talking about how they've been screwed over. I don't think he has a plan to actually help them, but he at least looked and talked to them.

Lmao this is such a horseshit talking point. Hillary ran on a platform of increased minimum wage and free college. Trump ran on a platform of blame Mexicans and Chinese people. Guess which one white people thought was better???

Edit: "oh but we didn't FEEL like Hillary's policy was sincere, but the white conman fascist? :swoon:"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mintskoal posted:

Post-hangover thoughts:

* As a solidly middle-class white dude this doesn't really affect me all that much but I'm sad for my Muslim friend who got her doctorate here and is in the process of trying to get a green card
* I am glad Trump made so many promises that are completely unfeasible and I hope his voters hold accountable to those
* I firmly believe that after 4 years of straight buttfucking the middle class will elect Trump again
* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same. I'm not white but my mother is, and I'm rich so that sadly offsets the gay thing for the most part. I will do everything I can to directly help those who are affected, but I do feel bad it won't hurt me or people like me.

Lightning Knight posted:

Lmao this is such a horseshit talking point. Hillary ran on a platform of increased minimum wage and free college. Trump ran on a platform of blame Mexicans and Chinese people. Guess which one white people thought was better???

Edit: "oh but we didn't FEEL like Hillary's policy was sincere, but the white conman fascist? :swoon:"

Feelings count for a lot in a campaign, which is after all an ad; think of it like medicine. Hillary was a prescription drug, tested, vetted, approved by the establishment and had half her ad taken up by required disclaimers and side effects; Trump was Head-On, repetitive, easy to remember and having no substance.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 9, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hate Dems

Yes people were unwise, but we can realize that running a establishment person in a year of the insurgent is also unwise.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'd say that this will be the kick in the pants the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact needs to get to the magic 270 figure but I don't think there are enough Democratic state houses left to make it happen.

True. I would say that the Democrats should defintely make that part of their rebuilding effort. Seriously I love how people here seem to think a really low voter turnout election year means most of America is nazi, rather then the candidates just turned off people.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cheesus posted:

I'm genuinely curious; what makes you thinks either part of this is true and/or will happen?

Because focusing on controversy gets more views/ad revenue than saying "he seems to be doing a good job".

jwang posted:

From my perspective, this is looking like the beginnings of a train wreck or house fire. And I'm hoping it would be huge. The schadenfreude I will get from it would be delicious. After all America, you chose him, didn't you?

(The wall's going to be great. I really want it to be built, just to see how ineffectual it is.)

Even this sort of rings hollow. America chose Clinton by popular vote. The EC chose Trump.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hate Dems

Fewer Republicans voted for Trump than Romney. It's like 59.1 vs 60.9m.

Hillary wasn't beaten by the Republicans so much as her own base totally bailed on her in spite of having infinite money and Obama Turnout Machine 3.0.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sean10mm posted:

Hillary wasn't beaten by the Republicans so much as her own base totally bailed on her in spite of having infinite money and Obama Turnout Machine 3.0.

Quit sugar coating this poo poo.

White people chose white identity politics and nationalism over progressivism. This country is hosed guys. No amount of accelerationism is going to fix that before global warming is unstoppable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Crowsbeak posted:

If he goes tariff war, they probably wont. At the moment they think he;'ll just get the police to kill the poor.

Considering the world was already on task for a huge recession within the next five years and Trump and the GOP probably accelerating that, why do you not think we'll win? Trump lost the popular vote and he'll have two percent less supporters next time. Trump will be the racist poo poo head he promised to be and piss off minorities while the countries economy goes up in smoke and he and the GOP will get blamed.

drat i didnt know Gerald Kaufman posted here

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Welcome to politics. If you are seen as inauthentic, it doesn't matter how good your policy proposals are.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

z0glin Warchief posted:

The Dems really are completely shut out at every level, outside a few stronghold states, aren't they? Does this trace back to the DNC ditching Howard Dean and the 50 state strategy?
Unequivocally yes.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

osker posted:

Outside of a few places like WNYC's On The Media, you're not going to get much real introspection about the media's failures.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance John Oliver or similar journalist does a piece on it.

DNC seems to be getting a lot of poo poo about Bernie Sanders treatment. What are the chances the DNC reforms the primary election process? Eg switching to a preferential voting system. I'm guessing slim to nil, but wouldn't something like this at the party level be relatively easy to implement and help in Bernie Sanders type situation? How would a reform process like this get started?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mintskoal posted:

Post-hangover thoughts:

• As a solidly middle-class white dude this doesn't really affect me all that much but I'm sad for my Muslim friend who got her doctorate here and is in the process of trying to get a green card
  • I am glad Trump made so many promises that are completely unfeasible and I hope his voters hold accountable to those
  • I firmly believe that after 4 years of straight buttfucking the middle class will elect Trump again
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If we're in a recession then probably not.

Lightning Knight posted:

Quit sugar coating this poo poo.

White people chose white identity politics and nationalism over progressivism. This country is hosed guys. No amount of accelerationism is going to fix that before global warming is unstoppable.

No, actually they voted even less for Trump then Romney, the election was lost due to significant numbers of Obama voters staying home.

Deified Data posted:

Because focusing on controversy gets more views/ad revenue than saying "he seems to be doing a good job".

Even this sort of rings hollow. America chose Clinton by popular vote. The EC chose Trump.

This to, also I wonder if the CIA thinks Trump is in tank with Russia if they might just decide that the FBI had the right idea.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Monaghan posted:

Welcome to politics. If you are seen as inauthentic, it doesn't matter how good your policy proposals are.

So white leftists are like yeah gently caress it gently caress minorities let's just run old white dudes for eternity, we'll totally appeal to the white racists more than the white racism party.

The Democratic Party can't win being the Republicans but more milquetoast. You guys hate Bill Clinton for being exactly that.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

As a geologist let me tell you its already too late for global warming. Mostly Asia will be affected directly in terms of death toll over the next century.

The main debate is whether it will lead to a stagnation of the climate i.e. if currents and weather patterns start to decline this could cause hydrogen sulfide bacteria explosions, thought to be a cause of past mass extinctions.

Earth warms -> weather stops -> biodiversity dies -> hydrogen sulfide gases complex land animals.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I said it last night but hillary probably just had the worst presidential loss of the modern era.

I mean my god the advantages she had

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you know i'm like 90% sure people would have been perfectly happy here if clinton won the ec and lost the popular vote

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Deified Data posted:

However it's trivial for Trump/Republican Congress to place the blame on their ineffectualness on literally any other target and based on how the electorate accepted all of the falsehoods in this campaign, why would they stop accepting them?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

sean10mm posted:

The best part about this is that Democrats are almost certainly going to learn the wrong lesson "that superior GOTV doesn't matter"

(The actual lesson is that GOTV only matters if you're Dem, and Republicans don't need it)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

sean10mm posted:

Huh, It is actually 59 million now. That jumped when I wasn't looking.

Trumps doing worse than Romney. I miss Obama

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I said it last night but hillary probably just had the worst presidential loss of the modern era.

I mean my god the advantages she had

People want a show apparently, not policy delivered as if in a PTO meeting.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheKennedys posted:

Here we go, boys (and not-boys). Strap in, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

http://in.reuters.com/article/usa-election-russia-putin-idINKBN134227

That's good, right? I mean, was anybody really wanting a war with Russia?

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
everything is terrible

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

you know i'm like 90% sure people would have been perfectly happy here if clinton won the ec and lost the popular vote

Compared to this? Of course. But I wouldn't be optimistic about her chances going forward.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Anybody who think's Trump's anti-reality field will be dispelled is deluding themselves. He's in a position now to use political favors as a currency to make any person/group he disagrees with just... go away.

It's not difficult in a connected world to mobilize any number of people in a campaign to silence somebody.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Trump got less votes because traditionally Republican areas didn't turn out as hard for him, but white people abandoned the Obama coalition in droves in Wi, Mi, and Pa and that's why we lost.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sylink posted:

People want a show apparently, not policy delivered as if in a PTO meeting.

how should we follow up popular obama and his youth vote? a 70 year old grandma who voted for the iraq war that got obama elected in the first place

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

White people chose white identity politics and nationalism over progressivism.

What about the non-white people who voted for Trump?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

What about them?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

spacetoaster posted:

A small fraction of black people and FYGM Hispanics. Your point is?

The FYGMism of Hispanics is another reason leftists are hosed lmao. Hispanics want to be white people, not show solidarity.

Y'all white leftists grave dancing on Hillary should be despondent at the realization leftism is dead in this country for the next 25 years.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Based on expectations happiness isn't what I'd describe it.

Posters would accurately predict she'd have no mandate and republicans would have even more fuel to undermine her.

Democrats of course will do the exact opposite for the reasons that have gotten to this point to begin with.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

spacetoaster posted:

Reminder that Trump really did do better with "the Hispanics" and "the blacks" (than Romney)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

No that would be preety bad. Also what do you think Trump could pull a thatcher with the Gerald Kaufman line or something? Whose the SD/LP in this scenario.

Lightning Knight posted:

So white leftists are like yeah gently caress it gently caress minorities let's just run old white dudes for eternity, we'll totally appeal to the white racists more than the white racism party.

The Democratic Party can't win being the Republicans but more milquetoast. You guys hate Bill Clinton for being exactly that.
Yeah who said that? Clinton lost in part due to her association with her husband who supported NAFTA, which to alot of rust belters was a disaster, they stayed home. Quite a few of them were not white either. Yes its unwise, but people can be spiteful in voting.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

turns out the needy bitches trump raped.... were us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

spacetoaster posted:

They weren't as decisive as the white people who couldn't care enough to get out and vote against Trump's brand of white nationalism.

• Locked thread