Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

Speaking of rentals, is there a way to tell Avis to stop upgrading me to SUVs? Half the lot is loving Mustangs. Give me one of those.

National is good in this regard since you actually get to pick. I hate driving SUVs.

You can just ask them, I think, but then you have to switch around each time you get a car which is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They ask you to put your favorite car type on your profile. Then they promptly ignore it. I'll ask them about it Sunday when I fly out to California since I have nowhere in particular to be.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I have a 5h25 layover in EWR on a Saturday, from 14:35 to 20:00. Enough time to take the train in to the city and have a late lunch and a few beers with some friends? Domestic flights on United, bags (if any) will be checked through.

I've never had any issues with security at EWR, or taking the train to/from Penn station, so I can't see why it would be a problem, but I haven't traveled in the US enough to know if I just got lucky the few times I've dealt with EWR..

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is the new Sentra a CVT? Even if it is it's not that bad but the sport mode is awful.

Once I get status I'm going for BMWs and Maximas.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KillHour posted:

Speaking of rentals, is there a way to tell Avis to stop upgrading me to SUVs? Half the lot is loving Mustangs. Give me one of those.

Depends entirely upon the staff and/or management at the particular Avis location in question. If you're a frequent customer, having a chat with the manager is not the worst plan.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kreez posted:

I have a 5h25 layover in EWR on a Saturday, from 14:35 to 20:00. Enough time to take the train in to the city and have a late lunch and a few beers with some friends? Domestic flights on United, bags (if any) will be checked through.

I've never had any issues with security at EWR, or taking the train to/from Penn station, so I can't see why it would be a problem, but I haven't traveled in the US enough to know if I just got lucky the few times I've dealt with EWR..

Should be fine. I've had a few times where there's a random spike at security at EWR, but never a multi-hour thing.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

National is good in this regard since you actually get to pick. I hate driving SUVs.

You can just ask them, I think, but then you have to switch around each time you get a car which is a pain in the rear end.

I love (small) SUVs because getting surrounded by SUVs in a rainstorm driving in some unknown place is a smaller car is terrible.

It has poured the last two times I went to LA, I have terrible timing.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Though driving a Cadillac escalade on the highway to Hana counts as one of the worst rental car experiences of all time. Why that thing is even allowed there blows my mind.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Uncle Jam posted:

Though driving a Cadillac escalade on the highway to Hana counts as one of the worst rental car experiences of all time. Why that thing is even allowed there blows my mind.

Hahahahahaha. I literally just pulled into Hana (work not pleasure) and yeah driving an Escalade there is about the worst possible idea.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What kind of work takes you to Hana?

I was driving a wedding party there trying to keep the car sickness emergency stops to a minimum while the side crash warning kept buzzing my rear end the whole time for hours because the mountainside wall, and the loving insane school buses.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

pig slut lisa posted:

London Heathrow question:

In about a month I will be flying into LHR on Virgin Atlantic landing at 0700. I will have a checked bag. I need to book a connecting flight to Madrid and it's looking like my best choices are Iberia flights at 0915, 1040, and 1145. What would you all choose? I expect I need to leave time to (1) clear immigration, (2) claim my checked bag, (3) hop the Express to T5, (4) check in to my Iberia flight, and (5) clear security. Anything I'm missing in that sequence? First time ever going through LHR. Thanks.

The best way to do that is to check your bag through on the same itinerary, since it eliminates the need to clear UK immigration and the need to re-check your bag. Ideally you transfer terminals internally, definitely clear security, maybe go through a passport check and end up in T5. The bag shows up in Madrid. LHR has no problem transferring a bag with two hours between flights, but I would not count on clearing customs and checking in from scratch in that time.

If you booked through an agency you might be able to get them to set that up for you still, otherwise ask at the check in desk when you board your Virgin Atlantic flight.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Uncle Jam posted:

What kind of work takes you to Hana?

Third party for Maui Electric doing some relay work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have shockingly clear visibility for the rest of the year, how's everyone doing?

DTW this week
PIT, YUL next week (separate trips)
PVG the week after (everything after this assumes I don't die on China Eastern)
??? the week after that, if anything likely somewhere in Switzerland
AMS the week after that
MEM the week after that

Then two weeks of blessed vacation with only a short bump to Detroit to see relatives. Should come in right around 210 MQM for the year, total about 250k rear end-in-seat miles across all airlines which would be a new record for me (the bad kind of record).

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I had an ultra efficient travel year this year (ie almost none) 62k MQM plus 10k non delta across 4 trips.

2 car rentals. I think like 10 nights in Marriott and the rest across a bunch of no name asian hotel chains.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just stayed at the Savoy and the peninsula with complimentary multiple upgrades at both. Status and travel policies are dead to me. Everywhere normal is poo poo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Question for you guys: I did a moderate amount of flying this year, and was targeted for 6 months of Delta Gold which ends in February of 2017. It's been pretty nice, to be honest, and the ability to switch my flight whenever I want is pretty great and convenient. I'm going to end up finishing the year with 52 segments on Delta (although can probably push that to 56 with another trip I have planned). I'm not sure exactly, but I'm probably going to fall a bit short of the dollar goal of $6k (probably less than $1k). Is it worth it for me to try to hit gold for next year instead of settling for Silver? I only really started flying a lot in August of this year and will have a similar schedule next year, with the caveat that I may move to a city where it's better for my to fly American, which I should know within the next few weeks. If that's the case, should I try to match status over at American?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Irvine, Boston, Chicago, Israel, Canton OH, Irvine.

:( :hf: :(

I'm really starting to realize that flying for work is a miserable existence.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 7, 2016

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have shockingly clear visibility for the rest of the year, how's everyone doing?

Done traveling for the year due to having a kid. My travel is so spread out, and my volume was a little thin this year, so I didn't get any higher than gold on any one carrier. I'll be hitting it strong next year.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Residency Evil posted:

Question for you guys: I did a moderate amount of flying this year, and was targeted for 6 months of Delta Gold which ends in February of 2017. It's been pretty nice, to be honest, and the ability to switch my flight whenever I want is pretty great and convenient. I'm going to end up finishing the year with 52 segments on Delta (although can probably push that to 56 with another trip I have planned). I'm not sure exactly, but I'm probably going to fall a bit short of the dollar goal of $6k (probably less than $1k). Is it worth it for me to try to hit gold for next year instead of settling for Silver? I only really started flying a lot in August of this year and will have a similar schedule next year, with the caveat that I may move to a city where it's better for my to fly American, which I should know within the next few weeks. If that's the case, should I try to match status over at American?

I personally wouldn't value the benefits of Gold over Silver at a grand but if you're flying routes that you do SDC a lot and actually get upgraded regularly as a Gold then it might be worth it. I probably wouldn't bother. If it was more like $200-$300 then it would start to become a tougher call.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

DTW this week
PIT, YUL next week (separate trips)
PVG the week after (everything after this assumes I don't die on China Eastern)
??? the week after that, if anything likely somewhere in Switzerland
AMS the week after that
MEM the week after that

Then two weeks of blessed vacation with only a short bump to Detroit to see relatives. Should come in right around 210 MQM for the year, total about 250k rear end-in-seat miles across all airlines which would be a new record for me (the bad kind of record).

Baring a change of plans I only have one trip left. It'll be nice to actually be in my own bed for more than a couple of nights in a row. I'm likely to finish with about 90k BIS miles and with some rollover I'm probably going to end up one trip shy of hitting Diamond. So I actually probably won't complain all that much if something comes up that causes me to make a second trip.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
End of my year is almost all travel. Been in Maui since Oct. 26, head home on Nov. 22. Then fly back out to Maui on Nov. 28, head home roughly around Dec. 19. Then out to the Bay Area Dec. 26 - Dec. 31.

Not gonna make much for status this year since I've been all over the map on airlines and lodging. Just barely gonna eke out Silver on MileagePlus merely by dint of four trips to Maui, and then I'll easily blow past Executive Elite on National. Bay Area trip should be juuuuust barely enough to maintain Platinum Elite on IHG.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 7, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
IHG's rewards credit card gives Platinum status and a free night at just about any IHG property for $49/year. I keep it just for the random one off nights I end up at an IHG brand.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

American may not status match you but you may be able to do a status challenge. It costs like a hundred bucks and is worth it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I just took my first United flight since they switched to revenue based earning. ORD to PEK to ORD in Economy. $732 ticket price.

3660 award miles for about 13.2k BIS miles. Holy poo poo is that ever hot garbage.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I get similar treatment when I fly for work, since we usually have deeply discounted fare classes. It sucks.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In PDX this week. 1 trip left to DTW/GRR in December.

I already hit executive for National but won't make it to exec. elite. Renewed Spire Ambassador for IHG properties for another year with a few rollover nights. I'll finish the year as platinum on Delta with about 20k rollover miles since there is no way I'm doing a mileage run for diamond again.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

DJCobol posted:

In PDX this week. 1 trip left to DTW/GRR in December.

I already hit executive for National but won't make it to exec. elite. Renewed Spire Ambassador for IHG properties for another year with a few rollover nights. I'll finish the year as platinum on Delta with about 20k rollover miles since there is no way I'm doing a mileage run for diamond again.

glad you learned your lesson on that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The new revenue based mileage has its ups and downs for me. It is quite advantageous on business-class trips but it sure does suck when you're budget conscious.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Going to Korea next year. Managed to book a rewards flight with Delta for only 120k miles that gets me seat 1A on a 747 DTW-ICN and then business class on a Korean Airlines Airbus A380 ICN-JFK.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The new revenue based mileage has its ups and downs for me. It is quite advantageous on business-class trips but it sure does suck when you're budget conscious.

What's it like having a company that pays for business class?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Good, overall. It really depends on what the client is willing to approve.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm based out of the midwest so for me it is good for East coast trips since they are short hops and bad for West coast trips since they are longer flights.

I travel a lot more to the West coast. :smith:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KillHour posted:

Its like a 3 hour conversation with the travel agent trying different routes to get the price down to a certain percentage and then you, a person who lives 15 minutes from an international airport, drives 2 hours to some podunk jetport just to fly back to said international airport and make your connection and get into business.

Sometimes the 14 hour direct in economy is better than a 24 hour hell trip in first punctuated by dashing to connections hoping your baggage makes it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
allegedly on international flights longer than six hours we "may" book business class but it virtually never happens because the salespeople never price it into the proposals and/or management weasels out of it because technically the wording in the policy manual gives them wiggle room to say NOPE.

that said, i dared to book P/T/Z/Z on my current trip to maui and i'm hoping i can slide it under everyone's nose on my expense report since united's receipts only list fare by code (and also somehow this trip was cheaper than my last trip despite that one being economy on every leg)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
My previous job had a blanket flights > 8 hours are ok to book business. Naturally, I never flew over 8 hours. For my new job, my first flight was to Beijing and since we have a Chinese parent company that is frugal to a fault, absolutely everyone flies economy.

Luckily it was a totally smooth flight and really not all that terrible (besides the food, jesus United has bad food) and faster than expected. But taking econ and getting poo poo mileage earning doesn't exactly have me jumping out of my shoes to come here all that often.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

DJCobol posted:

Going to Korea next year. Managed to book a rewards flight with Delta for only 120k miles that gets me seat 1A on a 747 DTW-ICN and then business class on a Korean Airlines Airbus A380 ICN-JFK.

/bows to the master

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

My previous job had a blanket flights > 8 hours are ok to book business. Naturally, I never flew over 8 hours. For my new job, my first flight was to Beijing and since we have a Chinese parent company that is frugal to a fault, absolutely everyone flies economy.

Luckily it was a totally smooth flight and really not all that terrible (besides the food, jesus United has bad food) and faster than expected. But taking econ and getting poo poo mileage earning doesn't exactly have me jumping out of my shoes to come here all that often.

Did you bring instant noodles?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

DJCobol posted:

1A 747 TPAC is great and my preferred way to burn 120k skymiles.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caberham posted:

Did you bring instant noodles?

I knew I was forgetting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
ahhhh gently caress me, we just migrated to a new Oracle system for time & expenses in preparation for the sale of our business group to a PE firm and it requires filling out a drop-down field for fare class. justifying business class on a :airquote:domestic:airquote: flight without any legs over 6 hours (albeit short by literally minutes) is gonna be an annoying as hell convo.