Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cubs parade jackets are back in stock and available for preorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Again, gently caress every last one of you who is even joking that a trump presidency was a "worth it" trade. I just woke up today in a world where I literally have no idea whether I'll be permitted to use public bathrooms, whether my family will be permitted to adopt children, or whether my health insurance will even be required to cover my healthcare anymore. My entire world just turned into a cloud of uncertainty. Please don't perpetuate the intense whiteness of baseball by saying a loving game's championship title is worth Donald Trump as president of the united states.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Poque posted:

good thing the two aren't at all related then

No but many of us are still at the bargaining stage

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Gardy winning a Golden Glove means at least one voting process went right last night I guess?

bad boy in the boy band posted:

How hard is it to learn 1B?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvu1nWjOlI&t=118s

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress Jake Arrieta too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TMMadman posted:

How appropriate is it that the W flag I've had hanging on my sliding glass door had one side fall down overnight?

Depends, was it the left side?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Depends, was it the left side?

Surprisingly it was the left side that fell down. :eyepop:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Dexo posted:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Again, gently caress every last one of you who is even joking that a trump presidency was a "worth it" trade. I just woke up today in a world where I literally have no idea whether I'll be permitted to use public bathrooms, whether my family will be permitted to adopt children, or whether my health insurance will even be required to cover my healthcare anymore. My entire world just turned into a cloud of uncertainty. Please don't perpetuate the intense whiteness of baseball by saying a loving game's championship title is worth Donald Trump as president of the united states.

Illinois was heavily blue and also the only state that ousted a Republican incumbent in the senate (NH pending) so this isn't Chicago's fault. :mad:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Let's all just agree that Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida suck rear end.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

TMMadman posted:

Let's all just agree that Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida suck rear end.

Poque's been saying this for years. IF ONLY WE'D LISTENED! :negative:

Pretty funny that once again it was Green Bay that hosed up Chicago's chances at happiness.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Illinois was heavily blue and also the only state that ousted a Republican incumbent in the senate (NH pending) so this isn't Chicago's fault. :mad:

Illinois really only went blue because of Chicago. Cardinals fans in Illinois appear, by and large, to be Trump voters. :sigh:

Anyone have a handy resource to show outspoken liberals among MLB? I assume it must be a small list.

TMMadman posted:

You just lit Poque's Bat Signal.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I have been loving warning you people for years.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Poque posted:

This goes excellent with Javy pointing right at us.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
What if the Cubs just said F it and committed like 50MM/year in payroll to Chapman/Jansen/Melancon and put together a three headed monster to compliment their great offensive core while their pitching staff is still in tact? Would 50 get it done? Or would it be more like 60MM?

I mean honestly, they have the money, not sure what the precedent is for length on RP contracts, but would 4 years per do the trick? Then even as their pitching staff gets more questionable in the next couple years, they still have a dynamite offense and a ridiculous bullpen, the Royals won with less....

I think it would be pretty funny to see the Cubs just go Yankees style now that they have such a good core and some money to spend.

Screw it, throw Holland in there too.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 9, 2016

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

There were as many first time Cubs fans as first time voters it seems.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Explosionface posted:

This goes excellent with Javy pointing right at us.

I was about to do that "emptyquote with avatar" thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TMMadman posted:

This is how I've been living my whole life, no reason to change now!

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Pancakes posted:

Illinois really only went blue because of Chicago. Cardinals fans in Illinois appear, by and large, to be Trump voters. :sigh:

If it gives you any solace, one of my aunts is what I hate about cardinals fans (arrogant blowhards who cannot fathom being happy for any other team because the cards have rings). She and I don't see eye to eye on sports teams, but she and I agree that Trump needs to gently caress off, and we're both distraught that he won.

So, Back to the Future is the new reality, right? Cubs win the WS and Biff is the leader of the free world.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Pancakes posted:

Anyone have a handy resource to show outspoken liberals among MLB? I assume it must be a small list.

You just lit Poque's Bat Signal.
Brandon McCarthy is, as far as I can tell, one of the best people in baseball (and extremely funny to boot)

edit: Got myself a jacket, thanks for the heads up

wyoak fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 9, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lots of guys from the 08 Rays were big Obama supporters. That's all I've got.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
MLB will destroy the Indians World Series gear instead of donating it to overseas charities. MLB says it is being done so the merchandise does not end up being sold.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

MLB will destroy the Indians World Series gear instead of donating it to overseas charities. MLB says it is being done so the merchandise does not end up being sold.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the gear having the Chief Wahoo branding on it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CubsWoo posted:

oh no, poor people might receive money in exchange for goods

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Wonder if it has anything to do with the gear having the Chief Wahoo branding on it.

If this is the case they should have come right out and said it because...

oh no, poor people might receive money in exchange for goods

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

If this is the case they should have come right out and said it because...

I mean there's not much to be optimistic about today so I'd like to harbor a secret hope that this is the first sign of the wheels turning to finally remove that racist as gently caress symbol.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I said for years that if the Cubs ever won the World Series, it would be a sign of the end of times.

I wish I could take more satisfaction in being right.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

"Some poor kid could end up making $10 off our shirt that he could use to feed his family for a week. We can't have that poo poo! BURN THEM ALL!!!"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Not like this

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Would literally root for the Cardinals for the rest of my life if I could change this outcome.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Dexo posted:

Would literally root for the Cardinals for the rest of my life if I could change this outcome.

Seconded, Lion's Choice is ok in a pinch

At least I got to see one before heading to the camps.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I said for years that if the Cubs ever won the World Series, it would be a sign of the end of times.

I wish I could take more satisfaction in being right.

Just for clarification, I'm not saying "worth it," I'm saying the Cubs win was the sign of the impending apocalypse (hence the suicide/death of all life on Earth implication.) Believe me, I'm ideologically aligned with you more than you know.

Dexo posted:

For reference:

https://twitter.com/JArrieta34/status/796372720015523840

TMMadman posted:

Wisconsin and especially Florida have always sucked.

Pancakes posted:

It's always been like that though. Chicagoland is Democratic, downstate IL is Republican. An island of sanity in a sea of retardation. :(

I'm assuming many of the younger, non-white, non-Southern MLB players are more liberally inclined. I don't get too surprised when I learn a Texan supports Trump. :rolleyes:

DoctaFun posted:

What if the Cubs just said F it and committed like 50MM/year in payroll to Chapman/Jansen/Melancon and put together a three headed monster to compliment their great offensive core while their pitching staff is still in tact? Would 50 get it done? Or would it be more like 60MM?

I mean honestly, they have the money, not sure what the precedent is for length on RP contracts, but would 4 years per do the trick? Then even as their pitching staff gets more questionable in the next couple years, they still have a dynamite offense and a ridiculous bullpen, the Royals won with less....

I think it would be pretty funny to see the Cubs just go Yankees style now that they have such a good core and some money to spend.

Screw it, throw Holland in there too.

I think they should absolutely pursue as much talent as possible (because why would you build a championship-winning team and then let it languish?) It'd be great to have Jansen and Chapman (all three of those guys are probably unnecessary) but it sounds like they aren't going to spend big on a closer. :saddowns:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

I love the new Javy moon, even if I feel like the Kyle moon right now.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

you realize the cubs world series had literally nothing to do with the election right?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Seconded, Lion's Choice is ok in a pinch

this is the worst thing ive ever seen posted in the baseball threads

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

you realize the cubs world series had literally nothing to do with the election right?

It's just extremely unfunny to me, as a queer person, to see people making jokes about trading a Donald Trump win for their team to have a world series victory. If you mean to imply that I'm literally dumb and so god drat crazy that I think baseball actually affects elections, you're being a disingenuous dick. But when you literally have people in here going "I would have accepted this for an Astros win" or "it was worth it to see the cubbies win", yes stop that loving poo poo. It's not funny. It's not a joke. This poo poo loving happened and now a lot of people are going to have their lives altered in ways that your average baseball fan cannot possibly relate to.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

God dammit, Jake :eng99:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Atomizer posted:

It's always been like that though. Chicagoland is Democratic, downstate IL is Republican. An island of sanity in a sea of retardation. :(

:mad:

Champaign-Urbana is pretty liberal, given our location and the general attitudes in the surrounding area. Urbana definitely more than Champaign, though, but we're still pretty cool here. :(

Also Peoria, sort of, but Peoria sucks so gently caress them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pancakes posted:

Some of the Red Sox owners are big money backers of the Democratic Party. I seem to recall Theo, Tom Warner and maybe John Henry made appearances at Kerry rallies after the 04 World Series

Ortiz lit into Trump earlier this year for badmouthing immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

It's just extremely unfunny to me, as a queer person, to see people making jokes about trading a Donald Trump win for their team to have a world series victory. If you mean to imply that I'm literally dumb and so god drat crazy that I think baseball actually affects elections, you're being a disingenuous dick. But when you literally have people in here going "I would have accepted this for an Astros win" or "it was worth it to see the cubbies win", yes stop that loving poo poo. It's not funny. It's not a joke. This poo poo loving happened and now a lot of people are going to have their lives altered in ways that your average baseball fan cannot possibly relate to.

You realize Kevlar is gay as well right?

• Locked thread