Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Evil Fluffy posted:

You have a better chance of seeing Trump appoint one of his own lawyers or some rear end in a top hat like Guilani, Christie, or Roy Moore.

Giuliani is widely seen on tap for attorney general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

euphronius posted:

Probably collective bargaining.

This is absolutely hosed. Prepare for national right to work, as well as some laws/rulings that effectively make unions impossible to survive. There's also a non-zero chance at repeal of Federal Minimum Wage laws, OSHA, and a lot of other things.

The GOP have wanted to bring back the Gilded Age and there's nothing that can stop them from doing so at this point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lots of trump voters are in unions so who knows .

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

euphronius posted:

Then they will reap what they sowed. The GOP is not known for being gracious, in victory or defeat.

If nothing else, when Trump fails to accomplish anything he's promised and millions lose their healthcare, then maybe we'll do better at the ballot box.

Probably not in 2018 though, seeing as the Obama 2012 class is all up. It was always going to be a bloodbath, but we couldn't even come close to stemming the tide this year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trump still has to sign the bills.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Giuliani is widely seen on tap for attorney general.

I thought that was Christie's gig

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Christie is getting a pardon for bridgegate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Christie is getting a pardon for bridgegate.

President can't pardon state crimes.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

euphronius posted:

President can't pardon state crimes.

nice

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

euphronius posted:

And boy do they never stop bitching about being in one.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

duz posted:

And boy do they never stop bitching about being in one.

Yeah they seem like the crowd that wouldn't be particularly happy about their union.

GlyphGryph posted:

Comedy option: republicans gently caress up so bad they lose the senate in two years, democrats actually grow half a spine instead of tepidly refusing to play by the rules of the game and claim that a President should not be able to appoint a justice if the public sentiment has shifted

Very much the comedy option :( Democrats couldn't bother to show up in a presidential year, and they almost never do for the midterms :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cops love their FOPs and they are as much unions as anyone other.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Then it might work out like Wisconsin where police and fire unions are exempted so they won't mind. That'd probably be a legislative rather than judicial carve out though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

MrBond posted:

Very much the comedy option :( Democrats couldn't bother to show up in a presidential year, and they almost never do for the midterms :(

There was 2006 after the GOP screwed the pooch sufficiently.

It does require the GOP to gently caress the country over thoroughly within a few years, which is not a great scenario at any rate.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Antti posted:

There was 2006 after the GOP screwed the pooch sufficiently.

It does require the GOP to gently caress the country over thoroughly within a few years, which is not a great scenario at any rate.

It's not just that, it also requires the Democratic party to be replaced with competent individuals capable of winning elections. No matter how much the Republicans mess up, the Democrats aren't going to win unless they build a vision of a better alternative. They managed to do that in 2006 thanks to Dean's guidance and a decent slate, but it's not like he's coming back, and he might not even be enough anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it's more likely that the union spending on campaigns will be curtailed against collective bargaining being infringed directly.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

euphronius posted:

I think it's more likely that the union spending on campaigns will be curtailed against collective bargaining being infringed directly.

Unions were already barely hanging on thanks to institutional inertia. Now they're dead, until the next violent labor revolution.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Unions were already barely hanging on thanks to institutional inertia. Now they're dead, until the next violent labor revolution.

Public sector unions are ok in many states still .

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

euphronius posted:

Hey, that's true, we still have blue state public sector. I guess that's something.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

here's to hoping RBG's heart holds out 4-8 more years

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

euphronius posted:

Only until the next 5-4 ruling. Which you can be drat sure is going to happen very soon since there'll be 5+ justices ready to rule broadly.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

euphronius posted:

Depends. TX Justice Willet has written on how Lochner was Cool and Good and he's on Trump's list. Dude could appoint 3 or so Bork level nuts if he wants.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Anyone else thinking Trump is going to appoint Donald Trump Jr to the Supreme Court?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

euphronius posted:

Cops love their FOPs and they are as much unions as anyone other.

Police unions have always escaped the republicans fatwas against public unions for some reason.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Anyone else thinking Trump is going to appoint Donald Trump Jr to the Supreme Court?

He is going to appoint some Ted Cruz dream pick (probably not Actual Ted Cruz, someone younger) and that'll be the end of that.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

here's to hoping RBG's heart holds out 4-8 more years

We get more of those sweet sweet RBG rebuttals. Full of sick burns on how the majority voted/reasoned their decision.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

GlyphGryph posted:

Comedy option: republicans gently caress up so bad they lose the senate in two years, democrats actually grow half a spine instead of tepidly refusing to play by the rules of the game and claim that a President should not be able to appoint a justice if the public sentiment has shifted

That is definitely the comedy option when you look at the map of Senate seats that are up in 2018.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Police unions have always escaped the republicans fatwas against public unions for some reason.
They tend to side with Republicans

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I take solace in the one silver lining of a Trump Presidency is (probably) preventing the Court from going liberal. But who the hell knows what he's going to do.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Historically speaking, law enforcement unions tend to err rather heavily towards the conservative side of things. This is only growing as more and more ex-military people become police officers (and as police forces become more militarized).

In Wisconsin, Walker and the Fitzgeralds expected that exempting police and firefighters from the union-busting bill would mean that any protests would be smacked down quickly; they didn't anticipate "Cops for Labor" being a thing and wound up activating the National Guard and the Capitol Police deputized members of the Highway Patrol.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 9, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arkane posted:

I take solace in the one silver lining of a Trump Presidency is (probably) preventing the Court from going liberal. But who the hell knows what he's going to do.

I too blithely post about threats to human rights in the States.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is it well established in this thread that voting, reproductive, and marriage rights are elementary human rights, or is that a front for discussion now?

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Potato Salad posted:

Is it well established in this thread that voting, reproductive, and marriage rights are elementary human rights, or is that a front for discussion now?

No, they are absolutely rights. But so is access to Healthcare and we fail that test. So why not fail some more?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm thinking Justice Santorum.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Potato Salad posted:

They are now a perfectly justiciable topics, not rights, that will come to SCOTUS repeatedly in the next decade or two.

If it's not explicitly enshrined in the literal text of the Constitution, I wouldn't count on anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm thinking Justice Santorum.

Oh god

He's too old tho

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

euphronius posted:

Oh god

He's too old tho

5 years younger than Garland.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Supreme Court Justice Christopher James Christie

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ComradeCosmobot posted:

They are now a perfectly justiciable topics, not rights, that will come to SCOTUS repeatedly in the next decade or two.

If it's not explicitly enshrined in the literal text of the Constitution, I wouldn't count on anything.

So when Arkane posts poo poo like "thank god no liberal scotus"

its legit posting

because human rights are now on the chopping table

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The #1 pick for Trump Whacky SCOTUS Nominee is his older sister who is a judge on the third circuit of appeals. Sure she's old but that's no obstacle to The Donald.