Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trump doesn't get to claim he was outspent when he got effectively billions in free advertising from the media covering him constantly and smoothing his edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FourLeaf posted:

Huh. You're absolutely right.

Perhaps so, but in another way, this election was bought with the blood of millions of African-Americans, Muslims, Latinos, and poor people who are going to suffer mightily from four years of a unified Republican government with a white nationalist agenda.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Radish posted:

I mean the people who claimed Hillary was basically going to walk into the White House. Like I said I bought into it too eventually, it got pretty strong.

Oh, I getcha.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

mintskoal posted:

Post-hangover thoughts:

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:same:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah besides showing the results what were you trying to prove? The GOP having a second crash under its watch would get blamed on it.

The GOP has maintained that the post 2008 recovery wasn't a recovery at all. I don't have any faith that they'd own a second crash. They'd blame Obama's policies without batting an eye.

Either way it's all speculation at this point.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Pakled posted:

Perhaps so, but in another way, this election was bought with the blood of millions of African-Americans, Muslims, Latinos, and poor people who are going to suffer mightily from four years of a unified Republican government with a white nationalist agenda.

This election proves why PoC should never trust white people. We showed up but our white allies left us high and dry.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I honestly thought Trump couldn't win because the fact of him being Donald loving Trump would make people pour into poll locations to vote against him. Guess I thought too highly of the 7mil that didn't show up to do that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Now is the time for someone to camp beside Trump and remind him that state's rights means less work for him, so he can leave a lot of things to the states to decide and he can focus on making big speeches about things.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Hello USPol. You might remember me from previous threads and only making dumb joke posts. Or you might not. Whatever. The point is politics isn't funny anymore and I need a break from it.

Your posts were great and I thank you for your service

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Lightning Knight posted:

You're such a jackass. No it's not racist to be mad about being poor, it's racist to blame Mexicans and Chinese people instead of rich white people who actually did it. Guess which option we just voted for, smart one.

You seem to forget that the unions almost exclusively went for Sanders last year.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
hilldawg is dragging her feet on this speech. Sad!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

As I said in the election threat I've been here long enough :gibson: to remember the 2004 election and that went down pretty much the same way will initially people in the thread being stoked as polls were favorable and slowly realizing the Democrats were hosed while cling to states that might save Kerry as the night went on. The Hillary hype was pretty real and it sucks that it turned out to be a bust. Pollsters are real hosed since they were all pretty much way off. No idea how they work from here on out.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Lightning Knight posted:

Trump is also a rich white dude. Hm. What is the difference again? Was it hateful rhetoric against minorities?

Dude, turn this around. "If its rich white people that caused all minority problems, then why do minorities vote for a rich white person like Hillary". It's a meaningless statement. They voted because their only choices were two rich white people and they saw Trump as the one most sympathetic to them. Talk to a Trump supporter and this is the first and last thing out of their mouth. A "blue collar billionaire".

You don't seem to understand because you insist on painting Trump '16 voters as an inhuman monolith. The Democrats don't need to make the worst Trump supporters to vote for Dem '20, they need to appeal to the ones who have in some cases literally voted Democrat in the past. Who in some cases voted Obama, for chrissake. They need to split off Trump's coalition, and they need to work on positioning themselves for that in 2020.

The Democrats need to win the vote of poor people better. They need to appeal to the best of the Trump coalition, and you can't do that if you pretend Trump supporters are all inhuman monsters.

quote:

I legit think PA and MI are lost causes and the Dems are hosed for a generation dude. We're not gonna win mid terms and they'll have incumbent advantage in 2020. They're also going to rip the VRA into shreds. We're really hosed dude. Really really hosed.

Then please step aside for people with a plan when the time comes, I guess?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm bummed about SCOTUS more than anything else

Scalia wins again

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
On the plus side for me; now that I know nothing matters and we're dead at like 80 years tops from Global Warming, my depression has cleared up.

Who cares about how bad you're doing or whatever when the world's gonna end in your lifetime?

I'm gonna drop out of PHD program, get a nice job somewhere with a cooler climate, preferably somewhere that isn't America just in case, and relax and play video games until we all die.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
The media deserves to hang for this. As much as Clinton was a pretty lovely candidate, this *still* should've been in the bag for her. But no, Horserace motherfuckers. I hope they're proud of their ratings as Trump destroys the press.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

You seem to forget that the unions almost exclusively went for Sanders last year.

Yeah, and? White Sanders supporters who decided they'd rather have Trump than Sanders are racists lmao like that's his whole platform.

Periodiko posted:

Dude, turn this around. "If its rich white people that caused all minority problems, then why do minorities vote for a rich white person like Hillary". It's a meaningless statement. They voted because their only choices were two rich white people and they saw Trump as the one most sympathetic to them. Talk to a Trump supporter and this is the first and last thing out of their mouth. A "blue collar billionaire".

You don't seem to understand because you insist on painting Trump '16 voters as an inhuman monolith. The Democrats don't need to make the worst Trump supporters to vote for Dem '20, they need to appeal to the ones who have in some cases literally voted Democrat in the past. Who in some cases voted Obama, for chrissake. They need to split off Trump's coalition, and they need to work on positioning themselves for that in 2020.

The Democrats need to win the vote of poor people better. They need to appeal to the best of the Trump coalition, and you can't do that if you pretend Trump supporters are all inhuman monsters.

Then please step aside for people with a plan when the time comes, I guess?

You. Can. Not. Appeal. To. A. Coalition. Built. On. Racism. Without. Being. Racist.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

I think the brogressive plan of emphasizing white working class grievances will fail because a) white liberals and progressives would jettison PoC and women's issues in a heartbeat if they could and b) white working class grievances include "gently caress Mexicans."
a) As a white liberal (or leftist, I think after this election) and progressive I think you're really not being fair. I am especially loving furious about the treatment of PoC by police and the hypocrisy in portrayal of BLM, and have yelled at people in my social circle (and trimmed people from my social circle) as a consequence of this. White liberals will probably not always be as dependable an ally as you want or need, but they are an ally nonetheless. They won't and shouldn't lead the fight or anything, but they will fall in line, and have fallen in line. And yes, I have read the quote from MLK and while he was not wrong he was also not speaking about white liberals in 2016.

Finally, for what it's worth, right now I guess I'm mainly telling you this because you seem to have lost all hope for the future as a result of this election. I can't say that's irrational or anything, but anyway you're not alone.

b) Yeah well that's not going to fly. We're all going to be doing a lot of thinking re: where to go from here, but the Democratic platform going forward will certainly not be anything that could be said to resemble that, and if it is I won't vote for them and neither will a lot of other people.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Look at how poorly minorities respond to Bernie, a candidate who dismisses BLM and has advocated for keeping Mexican immigrants out in the past. If the Dems run on that platform minorities start abandoning them in droves and white working class people will stifle all race issues with "no war but the class war."

Racism is still very real and minorities still experience uniquely racial problems. You can't fix that with just economic policy.

White Obama voters in WI/MI/PA didn't not vote for Hillary because they disliked her policy proposals. They just didn't like Hillary Clinton as a person. I don't think you don't need to pander to racism/anti-trade rhetoric to win enough of them to keep those electoral votes, you just need to be likeable*. Obama did it by pretty large margins, and heck even Kerry carried them, so I think you could take a charismatic person with basically the exact policies Clinton ran on in this election and have a pretty good shot at it, even if you're not as uniquely good at campaigning as Obama was.

Whether the Dems will be able to produce someone like that is another question though, I guess. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head right now, and without positions from which to groom new blood, it could be pretty rough for a while. It's also assuming the Republicans don't enact some truly horrific voter suppression policies, which is a stretch at this point.

*I like Hillary a lot, but I recognize that a lot of people just have a strong visceral dislike of her. I think I mostly blame it on the constant Republican attacks on her character since basically forever, which while unfounded, have sunk into a lot of people's unconscious as "Hillary's a corrupt liar who's hiding all sorts of nasty secrets", and the media has consistently played right into that portrayal.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Anchor Wanker posted:

The media deserves to hang for this. As much as Clinton was a pretty lovely candidate, this *still* should've been in the bag for her. But no, Horserace motherfuckers. I hope they're proud of their ratings as Trump destroys the press.

I can identify with this sentiment. Hillary wasn't great but if the media was constantly explaining why the emails were bullshit and that Trump's scandals were REAL on a daily basis (so the inverse of what how they treated the candidates) it might have swung differently. I mean they bitched endlessly about her not giving press conferences while Trump not only didn't do them but openly mocked them. From the beginning they treated her like a real candidate and Trump like some amusement and welp here we are.

They've already lost conservatives and I hope left leaning people tell them to gently caress off with their trash polls and clickbait garbage. Worthless.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Lightning Knight posted:

You. Can. Not. Appeal. To. A. Coalition. Built. On. Racism. Without. Being. Racist.

And we're back full circle. Delusional oversimplifications that led us to '16. You can't defeat something you refuse to understand.

It's like some Fog of War Robert McNamara poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Radish posted:

Trump doesn't get to claim he was outspent when he got effectively billions in free advertising from the media covering him constantly and smoothing his edges.

Blame Hillary for not being able to come up with a media (counter)strategy despite virtually all journos favoring her. You can't blame the media for being unbalanced if only one candidate is actually showing signs of life.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm bummed about SCOTUS more than anything else

Scalia wins again

Don't feel bad, with what we know now almost any of the GOP candidates would have won just as easily.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm gonna drop out of PHD program, get a nice job somewhere with a cooler climate, preferably somewhere that isn't America just in case, and relax and play video games until we all die.

Finish your degree, or at least stick around for another year to wait for things to settle.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pakled posted:

I could possibly see this passing if it comes in a president's second term and the expansion takes place during the next presidential term. That seems like a fine compromise.
Nope it's going to be a fully partisan move done while one or another branch has control of government. The Right doesn't mind politicizing nominally-impartial institutions anymore, and I suspect the Democrats' desire for decorum is going to evaporate soon as well (this is really bad of course).

The GOP might do it next year if they think of it and have the balls.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Radish posted:

I can identify with this sentiment. Hillary wasn't great but if the media was constantly explaining why the emails were bullshit and that Trump's scandals were REAL on a daily basis (so the inverse of what how they treated the candidates) it might have swung differently. I mean they bitched endlessly about her not giving press conferences while Trump not only didn't do them but openly mocked them. From the beginning they treated her like a real candidate and Trump like some amusement and welp here we are.

They've already lost conservatives and I hope left leaning people tell them to gently caress off with their trash polls and clickbait garbage. Worthless.

They did exactly what you were asking, what should they have done more, call Trump a dumb baby poo poo head and order people not to vote for him, lest they face their wrath? And play straight into Trump's cards?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

65 million people voted for Obama in 2012

50 million voted for Hillary

I hate Dems
That really is insane.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I just can't get over all the poo poo that didn't stick.

I mean poo poo he broke an embargo with another country and the story didn't last a day.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I don't know about the other states, but for Florida here it looks like the deciding district was Jacksonville area. That area combined with the rest of rural Florida gained Trump the majority he needed to win this state. Now comes the introspection and hard work to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Morrow posted:

Finish your degree, or at least stick around for another year to wait for things to settle.

PHDs actually make less money then Masters so I'm technically doing the Financially Correct option.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think above all the media is to blame for low turnout. No poo poo one candidate is going to seem more likeable when the media coverage was so consistently one-sided.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Radish posted:

Yeah. As with Brexit the media was the kingmaker. Though overall yours seems more like idiots than actively malicious like the British media is. Which doesn't really help, though.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

They did exactly what you were asking, what should they have done more, call Trump a dumb baby poo poo head and order people not to vote for him, lest they face their wrath? And play straight into Trump's cards?

Not act like emails are the same as all the poo poo Trump did? Not take a vague letter by Comey and turn it into open season again?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Hillary was really a smart and talented candidate, she should run again in 2020.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
https://mobile.twitter.com/EByard/status/796317753749729280

You can still have a little hope for the future.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

z0glin Warchief posted:

White Obama voters in WI/MI/PA didn't not vote for Hillary because they disliked her policy proposals. They just didn't like Hillary Clinton as a person. I don't think you don't need to pander to racism/anti-trade rhetoric to win enough of them to keep those electoral votes, you just need to be likeable*. Obama did it by pretty large margins, and heck even Kerry carried them, so I think you could take a charismatic person with basically the exact policies Clinton ran on in this election and have a pretty good shot at it, even if you're not as uniquely good at campaigning as Obama was.

Whether the Dems will be able to produce someone like that is another question though, I guess. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head right now, and without positions from which to groom new blood, it could be pretty rough for a while. It's also assuming the Republicans don't enact some truly horrific voter suppression policies, which is a stretch at this point.

*I like Hillary a lot, but I recognize that a lot of people just have a strong visceral dislike of her. I think I mostly blame it on the constant Republican attacks on her character since basically forever, which while unfounded, have sunk into a lot of people's unconscious as "Hillary's a corrupt liar who's hiding all sorts of nasty secrets", and the media has consistently played right into that portrayal.

Yeah I think the hope for the Democrats is that Trump didn't beat Romney. Obama's Democrats stayed home despite literally everyone stumping for Clinton. Those people aren't neccesarily so far gone as they didn't actively vote for Trump. The DNC needs to actively get those people back and not treat them (like they treat everyone) as something that is their's.

I remember Democrats on this forum (and in real life) telling leftists that they were the traitors for not voting Democrat and that their vote was basically owned or they were worse than Republicans and that young people are irrelevant since they don't vote strongly enough so their concerns are meaningless. That sort of poo poo does not build long term allegiances, just gets people voting long enough until they feel that they don't care enough as we saw yesterday. The party should be giving people a reason to vote. Hillary admittedly tried to do that with a better platform but all the messaging that got out was an indictment of Trump's character which while accurate and valid didn't work.

Yeah the Democrats need to nurture this instead of just assuming young people will vote for them and then blowing off their concerns. Young people are not going to be fans with how the GOP is going to go in the near future.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 9, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Donated to the ACLU and SPLC today. Maybe it won't solve our problems, but I hope that every little bit will help over the next several years. And if you're like me and wondering what the hell to do right now, donations are something you don't even have to take time off work to do!

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
So has anyone seen an analysis of what effect the voting rights act decision and all those polling places vanishing had yet?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
If guys like Bayh and Murphy are the exact type of I-can't-believe-it's-not-Republican that turn off left wing people from the Democratic party and don't come anywhere close to winning over Republicans than what is their function in the Democratic Party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

z0glin Warchief posted:

Whether the Dems will be able to produce someone like that is another question though, I guess. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head right now, and without positions from which to groom new blood, it could be pretty rough for a while.

He's probably hanging out wherever Obama was from 2000-2006 I guess.

• Locked thread