Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
and i thought it couldn't get worse after the Durant leaving stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
What's the record for a team firing a new coach, cause if the Pacers get run out of the building at home by the 6ers....

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
This is worse than losing the Finals up 3-1

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Athanatos posted:

What's the record for a team firing a new coach, cause if the Pacers get run out of the building at home by the 6ers....

Embiid isn't playing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

E2M2 posted:

This is worse than losing the Finals up 3-1

We should have known that the cavs and cubs winning meant that reality was unwinding

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Like I remember when Arnold got voted in when I was in High School and it was like how the gently caress did you vote in a body builder. And then now this.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

euphronius posted:

Embiid isn't playing

I know :ohdear:

The Pacers are in a bad place right now.

I really wanted to watch Embiid too. He's playing on Friday right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Athanatos posted:

I know :ohdear:

The Pacers are in a bad place right now.

I really wanted to watch Embiid too. He's playing on Friday right?

Yes

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Is Jerami Grant a secretly good defender I hadn't picked up on or was this obvious to everyone?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just dropping in to leave this delightful quote from here: http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-cavaliers/post/_/id/3253/pressure-gauge-how-will-cavaliers-handle-first-loss-as-champs

quote:

“Some guys were saying, ‘Mix it up,’” said J.R. Smith, who finished 2-for-10 from 3. “Some guys were saying, ‘That’s what we do.’ So it’s just a matter of, in this situation, you have to know who is right. For me, I’m going to keep shooting regardless. Some guys, you might want to mix it up and start dribbling or try to penetrate or something. But I have the ultimate confidence in my shot. I’m not going to stop shooting. I don’t care if I miss 100. I’m going to shoot 101 and 2 and 3 and 4, 5, 6, 7. So I think it’s just a matter of the confidence you have in yourself, if anything.”

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

and i thought it couldn't get worse after the Durant leaving stuff.

I'm too old for this poo poo. In addition, this shithole state passed execution by any means legal and voted down teacher raises.

I'm with Kanter

http://newsok.com/article/5526185?slideout=1

e. fixed

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm also with Kanter

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

Is Jerami Grant a secretly good defender I hadn't picked up on or was this obvious to everyone?

He and Covington were the 76ers who had good defensive plus minuses but I don't really remember anything but the crazy blocks

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The shook is spreading. I'm shook as gently caress.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
enes kanter would be a god in the chinese leagues

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Apparently Stan Van Gundy went off for six minutes about the election, unprompted.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

dokmo posted:

He was an incredible perimeter defender his rookie year, but he's put on a lot of top heavy weight so I don't know anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dokmo posted:

He can't play offense that's his issue

Defense is fine

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Apparently Stan Van Gundy went off for six minutes about the election, unprompted.

transcript: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2016/11/09/detroit-pistons-stan-van-gundy/93551178/

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

God drat

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stan loving rules

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Thank you, Stan. The man continues to rule.

edit:

Zach Lowe posted:

Man, this is the season of crazy statistical outliers. Embiid's per-36 minute averages: 30 points, 11.5 rebounds, 4.5 blocks, almost a dozen foul shots, 5.7 fouls and 7.4 turnovers. Honestly, the turnovers might be the most impressive number. No rotation guy has ever averaged more than 5.6 cough-ups per 36 minutes over a full season. The Sixers are letting Embiid do whatever he wants, and it is amazing.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 9, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
i hope someone around pop is wearing a wire today

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

pro click

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

SVG's comments are great, walls should only exist in basketball as a strategy

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the NBA continues to be the only woke sports league

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
"But you’re Christians. You’re supposed to be — at least you pride yourself on being the moral compass of our society." is one of the best things i've ever heard/read

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

This made my day

Stan loving rules and I agree with him fully. I'm impressed he just straight up said all that.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 9, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

"But you’re Christians. You’re supposed to be — at least you pride yourself on being the moral compass of our society." is one of the best things i've ever heard/read

It's about time someone called those fake rear end motherfuckers out

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The part where Stan says he doesn't want to be around people, and doesn't even want to coach tonight because of being in the same building with tons of Trump voters, that is loving real as hell

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

the NBA continues to be the only woke sports league

Compare Stan's (and also Pop's, before the election) comments about this to Bill Belichick's and Tom Brady's absolute horseshit:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/11/09/bill-belichick-says-that-donald-trump-letter-was-about-friendship-not-politics/

"Talk to my wife, I'm not allowed to talk about politics anymore." gently caress the gently caress off, Tom Brady.

The things that made me happy when I woke up today were my wife and kids, and Damian Lillard. gently caress yes, it's NBA season and and basketball is wonderful.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

That's my loving coach. So proud right now :love:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

this kinda "how dare you" moral condescension stuff is some of what lost clinton the election. people might like obama personally, he's very charismatic, but they are not huge fans of the government and social systems his democrats have overseen. Clinton was everything bad about federal government during the obama administration, warmongering, lobbying as open bribery, corruption, cronyism, media-cozy, bank-friendly, personally gaining from rising inequality, you name it, all of it without any of the personal charm plus a sheen of smug social politics to top it off. She lost because she's like the only candidate in recent history worse than Trump. That deplorables comment was the dumbest, most in-their-own-bubble elitist poo poo I'd heard from a politician since 47%.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1z2rCuC0W0

The whole "vote for me I'm better than the other guy" reminds me of teams playing "prevent" defense, or great offensive teams abandoning their identity and slowing down their game to halfcourt trying to sit on a lead while the opposition rallies for a comeback. It's less like Trump won and way more like Clinton blew the 3 point lead.

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

misdirectomy posted:

Somewhere there's a universe where Draymond DOESN'T dickcheck LeBron for stepping over him, Bogut doesn't get hurt and the Warriors win in 6 like God intended, the British don't sever their ties with the continent, the Cubs lose in the NLDS like they're supposed to, and Donald Trump isn't the Commander in Chief of the US military. Actions have consequences yo.

I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Here is some sweet dunks

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/796219402035269632

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/796210890009956352

and a block

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/796204197100273668

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

EvanTH posted:

this kinda "how dare you" moral condescension stuff is some of what lost clinton the election. people might like obama personally, he's very charismatic, but they are not huge fans of the government and social systems his democrats have overseen. Clinton was everything bad about federal government during the obama administration, warmongering, lobbying as open bribery, corruption, cronyism, media-cozy, bank-friendly, personally gaining from rising inequality, you name it, all of it without any of the personal charm plus a sheen of smug social politics to top it off. She lost because she's like the only candidate in recent history worse than Trump. That deplorables comment was the dumbest, most in-their-own-bubble elitist poo poo I'd heard from a politician since 47%.

The whole "vote for me I'm better than the other guy" reminds me of teams playing "prevent" defense, or great offensive teams abandoning their identity and slowing down their game to halfcourt trying to sit on a lead while the opposition rallies for a comeback. It's less like Trump won and way more like Clinton blew the 3 point lead.

So you voted Trump, huh.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

soggybagel posted:

So you voted Trump, huh.

haha here's u:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-23kmhc3P8U

here's me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTy1vVOapws&t=18s

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

EvanTH posted:

It's not meant to endear, it's meant to shame. And if you voted Trump for any reason other than accelerationism, you should be ashamed. He hs no cogent policy positions and no record of governance.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
A nice Lowe article on the Rockets. No radical predictions about them but he breaks down some of the more interesting stuff the Rockets are doing like having wings screen to try to get Harden switched off on their defenders and stuff.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17996143/zach-lowe-james-harden-mike-dantoni-houston-rockets-nba

Also some interesting tidbits about what they're trying to do on defense, although I fear it won't be enough to overcome personnel/D'Antoni's rotation choices to break out of the bottom 10.

quote:

Believe it or not, they are actually (kind of) trying. Before the season, Morey's crew culled video of every pick-and-roll faced by top-10 defenses in each of the last three seasons -- about 59,000 ball screens -- and crunched numbers on which strategies worked best against every variety. Bzdelik drafted a set of foundational rules based on that information.

They still start each practice with drills on transition defense, their old bugaboo, and call out breakdowns in film sessions. Coaches found mistakes on 65 percent of Houston's defensive possessions during their loss in Cleveland last week, Bzdelik said.

The massive turnovers are also probably really tanking the drtg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Lillard has been finishing MUCH better at the rim this year than any previous year. Here's a graphic. Early of course, but it's still been really nice to see.

2015-16

2016-17

He's also currently 3rd in the league in free throw attempts and makes. He's playing his mind out (on offense at least!). It's fun to watch.

• Locked thread