Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

mintskoal posted:

The GOP has maintained that the post 2008 recovery wasn't a recovery at all. I don't have any faith that they'd own a second crash. They'd blame Obama's policies without batting an eye.

Either way it's all speculation at this point.
They tried to blame 2008 on Carter and got some of that to stick, so yeah. Also Obama's response to Katrina and getting us involved in Iraq.

One thing this election hasn't changed my mind about at all is that there is a substantial portion of the electorate that is just a lost cause. Some of the Trump votes can be got, but for most of them trying would be a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

If guys like Bayh and Murphy are the exact type of I-can't-believe-it's-not-Republican that turn off left wing people from the Democratic party and don't come anywhere close to winning over Republicans than what is their function in the Democratic Party?

Bayh was historically pretty successful in Indiana basically because of that. Murphy was more the Democratic party in Florida being poo poo and having a choice between him and Grayson who was even worse somehow.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Radish posted:

As I said in the election threat I've been here long enough :gibson: to remember the 2004 election and that went down pretty much the same way will initially people in the thread being stoked as polls were favorable and slowly realizing the Democrats were hosed while cling to states that might save Kerry as the night went on. The Hillary hype was pretty real and it sucks that it turned out to be a bust. Pollsters are real hosed since they were all pretty much way off. No idea how they work from here on out.

The Vindication of Nate Silver by President-Elect Donald Trump :smith:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If guys like Bayh and Murphy are the exact type of I-can't-believe-it's-not-Republican that turn off left wing people from the Democratic party and don't come anywhere close to winning over Republicans than what is their function in the Democratic Party?

The DNC is stupid like when they ran an ex-Republican against the unpoplar governor of Florida and lost because wtf. They've needed a radical shake up for a decade but no one had the will to do it.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

So how likely is Trump's infrastructure plan?

This details some of it - https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/an-americas-infrastructure-first-plan

If it actually happens it would be good.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The "Keep Peter Thiel Off The Supreme Court" bloc

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Sylink posted:

This details some of it - https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/an-americas-infrastructure-first-plan

lol if you think trump will spend money on poo poo

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Murphy was kind of an accident since the Democratic nomination was Grayson's until it turned out he beats his wife and there were no other halfway-decent candidates in the FL Dem Senate primaries.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

You. Can. Not. Appeal. To. A. Coalition. Built. On. Racism. Without. Being. Racist.
A coalition built on class consciousness and identity politics is not built on racism.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kilroy posted:

They tried to blame 2008 on Carter and got some of that to stick, so yeah. Also Obama's response to Katrina and getting us involved in Iraq.

One thing this election hasn't changed my mind about at all is that there is a substantial portion of the electorate that is just a lost cause. Some of the Trump votes can be got, but for most of them trying would be a waste of time.

I think the Trump voters are generally 100% lost but there's a lot of people that just didn't come out this year that did previously which was huge. The Democrats can win elections but they have to use a compelling candidate and sadly Hillary was not that.

Tatsuta Age posted:

The "Keep Peter Thiel Off The Supreme Court" bloc

Luckily he said he doesn't want the job.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sylink posted:

Lmao "deficit-neutral" and not a single number, "turn away from Obama-Clinton globalization plan" like what the gently caress does that mean Obama didn't even get to do infrastructure because Republicans wouldn't vote for it. This page says next to nothing substantial still.

I wonder how many poor people lose Medicaid coverage to keep this "deficit-neutral"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Radish posted:

As I said in the election threat I've been here long enough :gibson: to remember the 2004 election and that went down pretty much the same way will initially people in the thread being stoked as polls were favorable and slowly realizing the Democrats were hosed while cling to states that might save Kerry as the night went on. The Hillary hype was pretty real and it sucks that it turned out to be a bust. Pollsters are real hosed since they were all pretty much way off. No idea how they work from here on out.

You've been through this before. Will things be okay?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How did current old people vote when they were younger? Do people just get shittier and more conservative as they get older?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

The DNC is stupid like when they ran an ex-Republican against the unpoplar governor of Florida and lost because wtf. They've needed a radical shake up for a decade but no one had the will to do it.

Barack Obama was essentially an epinephrine shot into the democratic party that deluded the DNC into thinking that it was their policies, not Obama's once-in-a-lifetime charisma that people fell in love with. It wasn't sustainable.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kilroy posted:

A coalition built on class consciousness and identity politics is not built on racism.

The Trump coalition is built on racism. His platform was literally "gently caress immigrants and foreigners." White working class people abandoned the Dems for that platform.

What do you think we could do to win them back? I frankly don't think Obama could win in 2020 even if he were allowed to run.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
American has a white people problem. What can we do to fix it?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I have a plan, and some people are not going to like it.

Evangelicals voted like 78% for Trump, minorities by participation some 30% overall. This is not the LV expected. It is important to note that even now, the victors of this contest are hand crafting a narrative that perpetuates and reinforces their strongest asset:

The Culture War.

The only thing standing between hellscape and our current existence is a faith in the institutions which have failed us. We must decide which war we wish to fight, the one of collective identity or the power of the privileged. I think humanity is probably too racist for the first.

That's all for now.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Probably not do this as a start.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 9, 2016

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Headlines From 2017 posted:

President Trump's proposed bill to raise the minimum voting age to 50 quickly passed through both chambers of Congress today.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly, I think the Democrats can win 2020 if they run someone charismatic. Trump lost the popular vote most likely, and I don't think having to actually govern will do him favors.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mind_Taker posted:

How did current old people vote when they were younger? Do people just get shittier and more conservative as they get older?

I think it's more like the goalposts shift. Like, 60 years ago you would have been progressive as gently caress if you wanted to legalize interracial marriage, but also you still wanted to run them queers out of town and tell your woman to make you a sandwich.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
NYT breakdown of the exit polling: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

White college grads broke in favor of Trump 45%/49%. How.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This stream is... am I in some horrible parody?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I've always thought America would be more sexist than racist, but Jesus Christ.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

UV_Catastrophe posted:

NYT breakdown of the exit polling: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Holy poo poo lmao literally stabbed in the back by all white people.

K I take it back white working class people aren't the problem, white people are. Kill whitey.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Wait for them to die out, I guess.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

HorseRenoir posted:

On the other hand, Trump genuinely seems to like building poo poo provided that he can take the credit and use other people's money, so building a lot of bridges and stuff might actually be in his court provided we put his name across them in gold and lights.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Get a white person to fall in love with you and make interracial babies.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Wait.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

He isn't spending his money now, he doesn't need to care about it. He has always built crap, why would that change?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So... was Nate Silver right, or was he not paranoid enough?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ashcans posted:

On the other hand, Trump genuinely seems to like building poo poo provided that he can take the credit and use other people's money, so building a lot of bridges and stuff might actually be in his court provided we put his name across them in gold and lights.

Hell if it means more infrastructure spending I'll drive across a Trump bridge every day.

Mister Macys posted:

So... was Nate Silver right, or was he not paranoid enough?

All pollsters were wrong for assuming Democratic turnout would be at or near 2012 levels.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Many people in their sixties were the wave of Reagan democrats when they decided they wanted none of the social upheaval of the sixties and seventies and wanted to gently caress off to their suburbs.

People's who's first election was during the late sixties early seventies came to age during a really unique time politically and it's difficult to draw a direct parallel.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Any chance Trump U stuff becomes A Thing and Trumps gets bounced and we at least get Pence as prez?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Or, in one sentence "if the guy you grew up under was good you vote for his side, otherwise you vote against his side" - at least, when the effect exists at all.

e: and obviously this isn't 100%, look at Kennedy/LBJ.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

The Trump coalition is built on racism. His platform was literally "gently caress immigrants and foreigners." White working class people abandoned the Dems for that platform.

What do you think we could do to win them back? I frankly don't think Obama could win in 2020 even if he were allowed to run.
I don't get this post considering I just said that the vast majority of Trump supporters are too high off the smell of Bannon's farts for us to ever hope of reaching them. I don't have a problem giving up on them (and I've been flamed multiple times in USPOL for my suggestions to effect of burning rural America to the ground and salting the earth). And white working class voters abandoned the Dems a long time ago. Probably before you were born.

So to be clear: I'm not suggesting some kind of Trumpism-for-Leftists here, or whatever it is you think I'm saying. All I'm actually saying is that class issues need to be an active part of the Democratic platform and its messaging going forward. That doesn't mean identity politics are out or that they take a back seat. To the extent resources in the form of airtime and speeches are a limited resource, I guess you can argue that means identity politics gets pushed aside? They're sharing the stage though - you can have both.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

You've been through this before. Will things be okay?

I dunno. :smith: I'm old so I've seen a lot of poo poo happen since Bush I and the Bush II administration was something else entirely. The current guys are horrible but during the 2000s we had a full GOP leadership and we survived as a country. The issue is that we have no idea what Trump will be like since he doesn't really have a platform except pleasing racist middle Americans. Things got bad during Bush when the economy collapsed and we went all in on nationalism after 9/11 and wasted lives and money. I kinda think we are primed for that again with the xenophobic bent we are on and all it really needs is a spark like 9/11 to set it off again. Trump doesn't have the temperament of George Bush which is honestly really scary so who knows how he will handle international affairs.

I'm also a cis white dude so I have no business saying if minorities will be ok... It feels like we've taken a huge step back with white people equating equal rights with the reduction of their privledge and lashing out and anything they feel is a threat.

The country will survive but it's not going to be great for a lot of people living here, even white dudes since Trump isn't bringing back jobs and if anything will will make their lives worse. The under 25s voting heavily against the GOP is a good sign for the future though so go for it young people :unsmith: Say what you will about Bernie but he actively courted their vote with issues they cared about which is more than you can say for 99% of politicians.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 9, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FCKGW posted:

Any chance Trump U stuff becomes A Thing and Trumps gets bounced and we at least get Pence as prez?

Pence wouldn't be better, he's the same as Cruz but not as outwardly repulsive. He's literally an old school kill the gays ban abortion evangelical. There's nobody sane in the Presidential line of succession once Trump takes office.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

you are part of the problem

you made this happen

you are guilty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

President Pence would be worse, arguably

• Locked thread