Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm just getting started on the trials for the DLC case and i'm getting kind of annoyed with how they always make Ema look dumb. C'mon Ema, of course the body wouldn't fall face up if he was hit from behind, why do I have to tell you this?

I haven't played the DLC case yet but I thought they did a solid job making her look good in this game. Just that usually she had some seriously conflicting feelings going on about the events at the time and actually wanted to be wrong more often than not.

Overall I really liked her character in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

TheKingofSprings posted:

I haven't played the DLC case yet but I thought they did a solid job making her look good in this game. Just that usually she had some seriously conflicting feelings going on about the events at the time and actually wanted to be wrong more often than not.

Overall I really liked her character in this game.

In the DLC case she blatantly says "I'm rooting for Edgeworth!" and is completely unconflicted about it

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I think i'm mostly just annoyed that they made her Gumshoe 2.0 instead of, you know, her own character. She was already established in older games as being really smart for her age. It's fine if they just user her opening testimony on the crime scene to make the player go "WAIT A MINUTE THAT DOESN'T ADD UP AT ALL" to get the player hyped up for the rest of the trial. I just think they could do it without having Ema go "Whaaaaat?! I never noticed that!" when it's her job to know this stuff.

This. This is the thing that annoys me most about the ghost-summoning mecha-samurai loving lawyer anime game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think i'm mostly just annoyed that they made her Gumshoe 2.0 instead of, you know, her own character. She was already established in older games as being really smart for her age. It's fine if they just user her opening testimony on the crime scene to make the player go "WAIT A MINUTE THAT DOESN'T ADD UP AT ALL" to get the player hyped up for the rest of the trial. I just think they could do it without having Ema go "Whaaaaat?! I never noticed that!" when it's her job to know this stuff.

This. This is the thing that annoys me most about the ghost-summoning mecha-samurai loving lawyer anime game.

Her testimony feels like they planned to have Gumshoe there, but didn't have the time or money to make it happen so Ema got thrown in there instead. It is a very Gumshoe testimony.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 9, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ema is on the ball for the entirety of Apollo Justice, except for case 3 where Klavier is deliberately loving with her. I don't think she goofs majorly in SoJ either, but the DLC case seems to have been written for Gumshoe, given how she suddenly makes several rookie mistakes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Plom Bar posted:

Shut up about batman you loving nerds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebI8H5nq5L4

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Finished the game a few days, overall a fun ride that ranks among the best in the series.

I did enjoy Case 5, though it kinda falls apart the more and more I think about it.

Maya, who had been kidnapped and missing for days, didn't make any attempt to contact Phoenix and let him know she was okay after she escaped and got on a plane to America. Kinda dickish.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I thought Phoenix didn't know Maya was in danger until the investigation phase of day one, and... She obviously was busy with other things at that point.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Case 5 The way I interpreted it was that Maya channeled Dhurke to break out and then just stayed as Dhurke for the next few days up until the trial. Either she couldn't stop channeling Dhurke because he didn't want to leave yet, or she just didn't really try to stop the chanelling because she wanted to respect Dhurkes wishes.

edit: wait no ..... she probably had to stop the channeling to get on the plane to America. Unless Dhurke just got on the plane like it was no big deal. :shrug:

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 10, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Case 5 Unless Dhurke just got on the plane like it was no big deal. :shrug:

I think it's just exactly that. Remember he's not actually a wanted criminal at that point, he's just widely hated.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I am excruciatingly slowly making my way through the time traveler episode, and it breaks all goodwill towards suspension of disbelief. I mean, there's just no way Sören can make a paper airplane with one hand. That's bullshit.
And since the law of conservation of detail is a thing, it's not exactly being subtle about Persnickety's deal, either. I like Emily's animations a whole lot, though, so there's that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So while I was gone I finished Investigations 1 and started Investigations 2.

Investigations 1's story is....really not good.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
It's not. Investigations 2 is far superior ( if a bit long ) and good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Investigations 2 is very better indeed. I'm at case 3, so I'm really close to one of the scenes I worked on when I was doing localization work.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
After reading most of this thread, I have a feeling that I might somehow be interpreting the games/characters incorrectly. Anyway, here are my thoughts on SoJ:

-There was no case I didn't enjoy.
-I thought Nahyuta was Franziska von Karma in disguise until the picture of him as a little kid comes up.
-I thought Rayfa was Maya at first.
-I pronounced Rayfa and Nayna as "rife-a" and "nine-a" in my head, and it threw me for a loop when Rayfa was pronounced with a long A sound in the voiceovers.
-I still don't like Trucy, and I only grudgingly tolerate Athena.
-As far as new characters go, Datz Are'bal was so loving annoying and ugly. Ugh.
-Case 1: Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin is literally the worst name in any of the games. Not in a fun way -- in a heinously stupid way.
-Case 4: I thought the multiple personality gimmick was stupid but that Patches was cute. Also, the judge's big-titted clown fetish was loving hilarious.
-Case 5: ---Amara--- is so pretty, and I love her outfit. :allears: Ga'ran's prosecutor outfit was stupid and ugly though, which is a shame, because I liked her a lot.
-Case 5: Why can't Ga'ran channel? It's established that the familial resemblance between Ga'ran and Amara is strong enough that Amara could impersonate her during Rites of Channeling, so it seems unlikely that Ga'ran is illegitimate.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

On your last point, I believe it's supposed to be a parallel to Morgan Fey, who while the eldest daughter, just wasn't as strong as Misty was at it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

After reading most of this thread, I have a feeling that I might somehow be interpreting the games/characters incorrectly. Anyway, here are my thoughts on SoJ:

-There was no case I didn't enjoy.
-I thought Nahyuta was Franziska von Karma in disguise until the picture of him as a little kid comes up.
-I thought Rayfa was Maya at first.
-I pronounced Rayfa and Nayna as "rife-a" and "nine-a" in my head, and it threw me for a loop when Rayfa was pronounced with a long A sound in the voiceovers.
-I still don't like Trucy, and I only grudgingly tolerate Athena.
-As far as new characters go, Datz Are'bal was so loving annoying and ugly. Ugh.
-Case 1: Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin is literally the worst name in any of the games. Not in a fun way -- in a heinously stupid way.
-Case 4: I thought the multiple personality gimmick was stupid but that Patches was cute. Also, the judge's big-titted clown fetish was loving hilarious.
-Case 5: ---Amara--- is so pretty, and I love her outfit. :allears: Ga'ran's prosecutor outfit was stupid and ugly though, which is a shame, because I liked her a lot.
-Case 5: Why can't Ga'ran channel? It's established that the familial resemblance between Ga'ran and Amara is strong enough that Amara could impersonate her during Rites of Channeling, so it seems unlikely that Ga'ran is illegitimate.

There are so many bad opinions here I don't even know where to begin.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Finished the 2nd case in AA:I2, and man that went on for a long time. Great breakdown at the end, too. I'm still sort of unclear on Dogen's thought process though. So, his dog dragged the corpse into the workroom once it fell to the bottom of the well, but... why? It could have just removed the chisel meant to frame him without leaving the tunnel. Dropping Knightley's body off inside the prison just made it easier for Sahwit to try and frame him.

I mean it's far from the first time a suspect in an Ace Attorney game acted illogically but it's sort of a weird oversight. Usually they concoct some absurdly complex plan to make themselves look less guilty. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AAI2-5: This dead body that is completely intact and has no visible injuries or even any signs of bleeding obviously fell from a 51-story skyscraper because I am the top agent in Interpol.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Finished the 2nd case in AA:I2, and man that went on for a long time. Great breakdown at the end, too. I'm still sort of unclear on Dogen's thought process though. So, his dog dragged the corpse into the workroom once it fell to the bottom of the well, but... why? It could have just removed the chisel meant to frame him without leaving the tunnel. Dropping Knightley's body off inside the prison just made it easier for Sahwit to try and frame him.

I mean it's far from the first time a suspect in an Ace Attorney game acted illogically but it's sort of a weird oversight. Usually they concoct some absurdly complex plan to make themselves look less guilty. :v:

Dogen is not his dog, and the dog is well trained but limited to having a dog's sense of reasoning. The dog was trained to pick up anything with a certain scent (perfume), and Knightly's body was laced to with it to frame Dogen.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

There are so many bad opinions here I don't even know where to begin.

I was reading this thread and talking to my friend about it, because I felt like every one of my opinions ran counter to the goon hivemind. :shrug:

Oh, I also should have added that case 4 inspired me to finally try soba and udon for the first time. They were both delicious but I slightly prefer soba because it's more flavorful.

Speaking of case 4, the defendant was a stupid idiot and I'm glad that his role was minimized.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was reading this thread and talking to my friend about it, because I felt like every one of my opinions ran counter to the goon hivemind. :shrug:

This particular branch of the goon hivemind also thinks black people don't exist in Japan (or at the very least if one does exist, it would be very shocking if they were at all articulate), so pay it no mind, friend.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

This particular branch of the goon hivemind also thinks black people don't exist in Japan (or at the very least if one does exist, it would be very shocking if they were at all articulate), so pay it no mind, friend.

What

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Something about Marlon?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Something about Marlon?

Bingo.

It was the single most glorious bit of :goonsay: I've ever been party to and I will treasure it always.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol marlon isn't black though

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dogen is not his dog, and the dog is well trained but limited to having a dog's sense of reasoning. The dog was trained to pick up anything with a certain scent (perfume), and Knightly's body was laced to with it to frame Dogen.
Right, the perfume! That's what I was forgetting, thanks. I mean it's still sort of absurdly complex and finicky for a murder plot, but I don't really mind that in an Ace Attorney game. Kept me wondering where it was going until the end. The culprit's motive sort of surprised me, I figured it was tied into the overarching plot stemming from the 1st case but no, it was just someone panicking.

Meanwhile we find out that one of the most pivotal cases in Edgeworth's life revolves around a singing, dancing pastry chef. I don't know why I find that surprising considering the series, I guess I just kind of expected the turning point to be more... serious? Then again, there is still a murder victim so... Dunno, I guess it speaks well of the game that it keeps me on my toes.

The most glaring oversight in the game is clearly the existance of a committee to investigate prosecutorial misconduct. Based off literally every other game in the series, they are very bad at their jobs!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Marlon may or may not be black. But for my money, he kinda looks like a younger Michael Jackson (pre-transformation obv) and with the rapping and the dreads filling the stereotype, I'm pretty sure what my guess for authorial intent would be.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In Naruhodo 5, Marlon is just your regular japanese guy on the darker side of the skintone for them. In Ace Attorney Dual Destinies he's ambiguous between tanned skin or light-skinned black man, or could be one of many races that the name Marlon Rimes could be traced to. That's my hot take before this discussion spirals down.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going 'this dude has kinda tan skin and raps so he has to be black' is really weird tbh, there's a ton of japanese rappers and marlon looks way closer to zeebra than he does to, iunno, snoop dogg

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

going 'this dude has kinda tan skin and raps so he has to be black' is really weird tbh, there's a ton of japanese rappers and marlon looks way closer to zeebra than he does to, iunno, snoop dogg

This game's based in LA Endorph it's a perfectly reasonable reaction

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

This game's based in LA Endorph it's a perfectly reasonable reaction
lol

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Whether he is or not, as long as your Case Against isn't "there are no black people in Japan" and your fallback after that is "black people in Japan are generally inarticulate so the fact that everyone isn't making a big deal about how well spoken Marlon is proves he's not black" we're doing fine.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

I thought he was meant to look like Michael Jackson

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Endorph posted:

That wasn't all I said though?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Aw, i'm just kidding. :) I like the AA games, they're silly and fun.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Aw, i'm just kidding. :) I like the AA games, they're silly and fun.

They are great. :D I'm replaying the Ace Attorney trilogy right now. It's been about 10 years (if not more) since I last played them so aside from [AA1: Mia dying ] (is this even a spoiler?) I literally don't remember anything that happens.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

They are great. :D I'm replaying the Ace Attorney trilogy right now. It's been about 10 years (if not more) since I last played them so aside from [AA1: Mia dying ] (is this even a spoiler?) I literally don't remember anything that happens.

Pretty jealous you get to revisit the Kitakis, the Feys, Jean Armstrong and hang out talking to Franziska again :coffeepal:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm a bit over halfway through my series replay that I started about this time last year. It'll be my fourth time playing the main trilogy, my third time replaying AJ and AAI1, my second time playing Layton vs., AAI2, and Dual Destinies, and I'm including my first time playing Spirit of Justice because I'm not replaying it so soon after the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

jarbv posted:

Pretty jealous you get to revisit the Kitakis, the Feys, Jean Armstrong and hang out talking to Franziska again :coffeepal:

I don't even remember who the Kitakis or Jean Armstrong are. This is going to be fun. :)

edit: also it occurs to me that Nahyuta is literally just evil Libra from Fire Emblem Awakening.