Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

steinrokkan posted:

I want a candidate who can explain why those positions are ineffective, and who can also precisely name and describe the issues paining people in terms that resonate with them, while rhetorically leading into a progressive policy solution (that's what Sanders was doing). A candidate who can't communicate is worse than useless, and Clinton is a terrible communicator.

If the electorate is stupid, it's because so are their leaders.

Sanders was anti-trade and had at points been anti-immigrant so I disagree with this assessment.

People aren't smart enough in the aggregate for that poo poo. It's way easier to give them dumb racist bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I have a dim, vain hope that the sheer backlash from a ruinous four years of the Trump administration will bring a wave election in 2020 that will allow democrats a shot at favorable redistricting.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

rudatron posted:

It's what i think about you, dipshit.

You only think about race, you have this one-dimensional mind.

Now ye shall reap what ye have sown

This is a reckoning. Trump would not have won without your incredible support for him, which you created through antagonization.

Everyone will love each other, one day. But that day is not today. Thanks to you.

GET OUT

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

rudatron posted:

Do you believe your actions are in a vacuum? Do you think other people do not listen when you speak? Look at this election, and then tell me that that rhetoric meant nothing, did nothing, had no possible effect.

You're right, I simply didn't listen to white nationalists well enough. Mhm

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

corn in the bible posted:

julian castro is on the cabinet thanks to a nod from hillary.

poo poo I forgot. Kamala Harris?

Lightning Knight posted:

Sanders was anti-trade and had at points been anti-immigrant so I disagree with this assessment.

People aren't smart enough in the aggregate for that poo poo. It's way easier to give them dumb racist bullshit.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Black people and other minorities asking for equal rights (and sometimes just not to be killed in the street by police) isn't saying "all white people are bigoted and we are smarter than you." That's what white people who vote Trump hear and that's not the fault of people asking to be treated equally that they have a persecution complex.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

FourLeaf posted:

The liberal focus on loving stupid celebrity crap instead of real policies that affect people is why we are here today.

Am I being whooshed? Celebrity candidate just beat policy candidate.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

double nine posted:

I'm seeing a lot of scared people worrying that the ACA and other progressive achievements will be wiped out in the next 4 years. My question: can't the democrats filibuster that type of legislation?

Much of the ACA was passed via reconciliation, so the bill wouldn't be subject to a filibuster. A repeal of much of it can be accomplished the same way. The GOP tried to get it through that way already, and the only thing standing in the way was Obama's veto.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I have a dim, vain hope that the sheer backlash from a ruinous four years of the Trump administration will bring a wave election in 2020 that will allow democrats a shot at favorable redistricting.

I do think the Democrats could win 2020 if they run someone charismatic. I can't imagine Trump's popularity will be better after actually having to govern, especially since the GOP is probably going to basically turbofuck the poor.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
But really, I was expecting white men to be awful--that's this country's history. I am shocked that white women are so determined to prove they're just as bad. That's the real takeaway from the election: you can treat white women like poo poo so long as you defend their white privilege.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sylink posted:

Try empathy, it might get votes. People ultimately subscribe to the heirarchy of needs and when thats not met they start to lash out. Exactly how depends.

Lmao this is still such a dumbshit talking point.

WE HAD poo poo IN THE PLATFORM FOR THESE PEOPLE. We had increased minimum wage, free college, infrastructure funding. We can debate whether that is enough but we had poo poo that would help people left behind by globalization.

They want racism and anti-immigrant rhetoric. That doesn't deserve empathy.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Well, it's been proven to be unequivocally true so

Identity politics is a winning battlefield for the GOP as the election has just proven, you are never going to have equality for all if you make the melanin levels and breeding history of people the government's business, at best you scare the racists into believing that when they're the minority they're going to be hosed so they'll fight progress at every turn.

I do not suggest an economic revolution, for those considering my words, I suggest the key to hope and long term progressive victory is institutions that are immune to bigotry through systems resistant to corruption.

We can salvage the country if we hold nothing sacred that perpetuates human suffering.

Lightning Knight posted:

WE HAD poo poo IN THE PLATFORM FOR THESE PEOPLE. We had increased minimum wage, free college, infrastructure funding. We can debate whether that is enough but we had poo poo that would help people left behind by globalization.

I know you're hurting and maybe even scared but minimum wage won big last night. The message should be clear.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 9, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

But really, I was expecting white men to be awful--that's this country's history. I am shocked that white women are so determined to prove they're just as bad. That's the real takeaway from the election: you can treat white women like poo poo so long as you defend their white privilege.

I'm curious what's going to happen when they try and roll out making abortion illegal nationwide.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i predicted a while ago that rudatron would go hard reactionary, and im glad to see him making good progress along that path

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

If we expect people to have to read we have already lost. Kanye 2020!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Glazier posted:

poo poo I forgot. Kamala Harris?

deliberately defended false confessions in court and got into a fight with the innocence project

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gorelab posted:

I do think the Democrats could win 2020 if they run someone charismatic. I can't imagine Trump's popularity will be better after actually having to govern, especially since the GOP is probably going to basically turbofuck the poor.

Counterpoint: Kansas is an unredeemable shithole that's cut their education and infrastructure maintenance to the bone, then started breaking and removing bones. Brownback and his cronies still get reelected comfortably.

GOP voters would rather die than vote otherwise. Even if it's what's killing them.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

deliberately defended false confessions in court and got into a fight with the innocence project

Kanye West/Kendrick Lamar?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Benevolent AI-1/Benevolent AI-2 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Radish posted:

I'm curious what's going to happen when they try and roll out making abortion illegal nationwide.

it'll be piece by piece via allowing states to fully ban

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The very last votes came in for New Hampshire.

Maggie Hassan (D) has beaten Kelly Ayotte (R) by 716 votes to be the next Senator.

Dems hold onto the two House seats.

Republicans win the Governorship.

Republicans win the State House I think.

Edit: I find it very interesting how the votes split Federal/Local. Democrats winning the federal elections. Republicans wins the local elections.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Benevolent AI-1/Benevolent AI-2 2020

i've heard ai-1 is hosted on a private email server

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

OhFunny posted:

The very last votes came in for New Hampshire.

Maggie Hassan (D) has beaten Kelly Ayotte (R) by 716 votes to be the next Senator.

Dems hold onto the two House seats.

Republicans win the Governorship.

Republicans win the State House I think.

So what's the Senate at now? 49-51?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

maybe people got antagonized by poo poo like this

Boo-loving-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Counterpoint: Kansas is an unredeemable shithole that's cut their education and infrastructure maintenance to the bone, then started breaking and removing bones. Brownback and his cronies still get reelected comfortably.

GOP voters would rather die than vote otherwise. Even if it's what's killing them.

Yeah GOP voters are totally lost and crossing the aisle is a stupid waste of time. There are voters willing to go Democrat but you have to get them to the polls and nerdy policy stuff isn't going to do it. I'm not sure if they can do it by 2020 but they better loving try.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Do you really think that after 2 years (probably 4, let's be honest) with all three branches of government that the GOP won't have created the most oppressive voter suppression system since Jim Crow to keep Hispanics and other minorities away from the ballot box? That's not loving happening.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Just because it's stupid for white people to feel marginalized more than minorities does not make their perception of reality any less real.

Like try one single session of therapy, guys. People's feelings are valid and they have the agency to act on them. When you ignore them or invalidate them because "they're wrong," you make the problem worse.

Would you tell a depressed person that they shouldn't be sad and they're wrong for being so? That a guy grieving over a dead child should stop feeling what he feels because it's not helping him? That a girlfriend upset over someone telling her to "cheer up!" is overreacting to an innocuous comment?

Even if you were right (debatable in those examples), that's not how you address someone feeling a loving feeling unless you have zero loving emotional intelligence. Be an adult: listen, understand, find common ground. You can't claim intellectual and moral superiority on one hand and act like a spooked guard dog every time someone disagrees with you on the other.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

rudatron posted:

This is a reckoning. Trump would not have won without your incredible support for him, which you created through antagonization.

No. gently caress that. You're either too ignorant or too young to have grown up under 8 loving years of the Bush administration being a liberal and being called anti-american and communist for just having different opinions. They never once tried to win anyone over, and we all suffered for it.

Coddling diseased conservative brains just gives them way too much loving time to justify all the regressive bullshit they're going to pull anyway.

gently caress them.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

parasyte posted:

Much of the ACA was passed via reconciliation, so the bill wouldn't be subject to a filibuster. A repeal of much of it can be accomplished the same way. The GOP tried to get it through that way already, and the only thing standing in the way was Obama's veto.

Yeah that's what I'm most worried about. My mom was buying steroid shots from Canada before the ACA allowed her to get two total hip replacements because she couldn't get coverage due to a pre-existing condition. She's a psychologist and runs her own practice so she didn't have access to employer provided coverage.

Trump's plan is to repeal the ACA and replace it with health savings accounts. Let that sink in.

e: ^ that's not directed at you, more of a broad statement.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Hope it will work out better for you guys, for everyone's sake: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/20/donald-trump-silvio-berlusconi-italy-prime-minister

The Guardian posted:

We keep being told that the Donald Trump phenomenon means we have entered the era of post-fact politics. Yet, I would argue, post-fact politics has been tarnishing democracy for some time. Twenty-two years ago a successful businessman sent a VHS tape to Italy’s news channels. It showed him sitting in a (fake) office. He read a pre-prepared statement via an autocue.

The man’s name was Silvio Berlusconi, and he was announcing that he was, in his words, “taking the field”. The first reaction was derision. Opposition politicians saw his political project (the formation of a “movement” called Forza Italia – Go for it, Italy – just months ahead of a crucial general election) as a joke. Some claimed a stocking had been put over the camera to soften the impact of Berlusconi’s face.

But Forza Italia soon became the biggest “party”. In the working-class Communist citadel of Mirafiori Sud in Turin, an unknown psychiatrist standing for Berlusconi’s movement beat a long-standing trade unionist. Berlusconi had not just won, he had also stolen the left’s clothes and some of its supporters. That first government was short lived, but Berlusconi would dominate Italian politics for the next 20 years – winning elections in 2001 and 2008 and losing by a handful of seats in 2006. In terms of days in office, Berlusconi ranks as Italy’s third longest-serving prime minister, behind Mussolini and the great liberal of 19th-century Italy, Giovanni Giolitti.

The parallels between Berlusconi and Trump are striking. Both are successful businessman who struggle with “murky” aspects linked to their companies – tax, accounting, offshore companies. Berlusconi was convicted of tax fraud in 2013, which effectively put an end to his political career. But business success and huge wealth was part of his political appeal, as they are for Trump. Beyond wealth, Berlusconi, like Trump, always painted himself as an outsider, as anti-establishment, even when he was prime minister. And, like Trump, Berlusconi’s appeal was populist and linked to his individual “personality”.

Berlusconi’s personal-business political model has since been followed by others in Italy. It could be argued that both Beppe Grillo’s populist anti-political Five Star Movement and Matteo Renzi’s insider-outsider appeal (until recently) have been created very much in Berlusconi’s image. One could go so far as to say Berlusconi transformed politics. The mass parties of the postwar period had become increasingly irrelevant, but he didn’t need a party just as Trump doesn’t really need the Republican party.

So-called gaffes were a frequent part of Berlusconi’s political strategy – a dog-whistle strategy that included frequent recourse to sexist, homophobic and racist stereotypes, and reference to his belief that he was irresistible to women. He flaunted his Don Giovanni image, but also attempted to keep a parallel reputation as a family man, whose main concern was the welfare of his five children.

His electoral campaigns were all about him. Nothing else mattered. He dominated the agenda from start to finish. When the former mayor of Rome Walter Veltroni tried to run a campaign against Berlusconi by not mentioning Berlusconi, he was heavily defeated. Silvio’s “gaffes” would usually be followed by claims that he had been “misunderstood” or was the victim of a “hostile media”. He was also reluctant to accept the verdict of the electorate as final when he lost. He would make frequent (and unsubstantiated) claims of electoral fraud and ballot-stuffing. Remind you of anyone?

He also created a set of enemies against which he could mobilise his followers: the judiciary, the media (despite owning much of it), politics itself, Communism, women (he often commented on the appearance of female opponents) and the EU and the euro. He presented himself as a victim of political correctness gone mad, an ordinary/extraordinary man speaking his mind. He promised the world, and it mattered little if he was quickly proved wrong, or had no intention of fulfilling any of his promises. Berlusconi knew that many of the electorate had short memories indeed.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

i've heard ai-1 is hosted on a private email server

Guess that's 0 1 0 0 more years for Trump!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Radish posted:

I think their plan was to get Hillary elected then hope another Obama (Booker?) surfaces by 2024. Now they really have nobody since the DNC is rightfully done and anyone tied to Clinton can't be counted on to win. They needed to start grooming new blood yesterday but nope.

We were saying this exact same thing about Republicans and W. Bush back in 2008? The GOP seems to have bounced back well enough from that crushing defeat then. The Democrats will bounce back in time.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Butts posted:

No. gently caress that. You're either too ignorant or too young to have grown up under 8 loving years of the Bush administration being a liberal and being called anti-american and communist for just having different opinions. They never once tried to win anyone over, and we all suffered for it.

Coddling diseased conservative brains just gives them way too much loving time to justify all the regressive bullshit they're going to pull anyway.

gently caress them.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Captain Magic posted:

Just because it's stupid for white people to feel marginalized more than minorities does not make their perception of reality any less real.

Like try one single session of therapy, guys. People's feelings are valid and they have the agency to act on them. When you ignore them or invalidate them because "they're wrong," you make the problem worse.

Would you tell a depressed person that they shouldn't be sad and they're wrong for being so? That a guy grieving over a dead child should stop feeling what he feels because it's not helping him? That a girlfriend upset over someone telling her to "cheer up!" is overreacting to an innocuous comment?

Even if you were right (debatable in those examples), that's not how you address someone feeling a loving feeling unless you have zero loving emotional intelligence. Be an adult: listen, understand, find common ground. You can't claim intellectual and moral superiority on one hand and act like spooked guard dog every time someone disagrees with you on the other.

How the gently caress are you supposed to listen, understand, and convincingly retort when they're just screaming at you about immigrants?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
What did we get last night that was better? I know weed got legalized in a lot of states, but...

I got sexually assaulted when I was younger. This morning is really, really loving hard for me, and the only real thing I can think to do right now is focus on the smaller victories. Is there like a master list, or...?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it'll be piece by piece via allowing states to fully ban

I actually think the Republican base is really going to hold the party's feet the the fire on all the social issues they've been dangling in front of them for years. There's no longer an excuse for holding off and Obama doing something previously isn't going to cut it when there's always some nut willing to primary.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Imagine if there were two Republicans who cared more about the country's well being than keeping their jobs.
We'd still obviously lose the ACA, which will be terrible, but it would be nice if there were two R senators who went "gently caress no we're not gonna try to build a wall."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Do you really think that after 2 years (probably 4, let's be honest) with all three branches of government that the GOP won't have created the most oppressive voter suppression system since Jim Crow to keep Hispanics and other minorities away from the ballot box? That's not loving happening.

Excuse me, but we have to stop illegals from committing vote fraud in historic amounts. Or do you want a rigged system!?!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

They don't mostly, the message is wrong. They aren't going to jerk off over policy, you have to phrase and market to them in terms they understand.

Blue collar workers/rust belt/whatever you think these people are, were raised to believe in a company town and company environment, on the backs of the spirit of WW2. Now yes that was all a big scam, but it was a patriotic point of pride for them, and they on the whole, weren't taught or raised to think critically.

And they suffer from the same confirmation bias bubble as the rest of us, you can't start trying to rationalize people out of a situation they didn't rationalize themselves into. Its like coaxing an injured animal out of a crawl space.

Bumwillickers Smith the 4th isn't going to college at 36 after the auto plant shut down, ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

48-51 + whatever Louisiana turns out (so, 48-52).

If there's a small ray of light, it means that two defectors - whether a moderate who's not in favor of the "kill all Mexicans" bill or a Freedom Caucuser who doesn't think it goes far enough - would be enough to stall in the Senate.

• Locked thread