Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

El Grillo posted:

The one real complaint I have about my Rift is rubbish black levels. They seem to be fine in some situations (e.g. the loading screen of Farlands) but terrible in others (Chronos). Has anyone else experienced this? I had a search and it seems people have managed to effect the problem through driver/OS reinstalls, but not permanently: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/34368/cv1-screens-grey-not-black

I haven't been using my rift enough to notice. That sounds like either driver issues or something to do with the Rift SDK messing up / software developers figuring out how to make the games look better.

I distinctly remember reading an article about how black was a problem especially with how they're driving the LCD panels and that not going full #000000 but like #010101 would help the picture look better. (like less ghosting or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thor-Stryker posted:

Haven't seen it but I know the Inception effect would be a scary concern for VR, never knowing if you've truly returned to reality until you die.

It's also a hot topic for the animes and mangas.

lol all you need to do is pour acid on your face bro

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

The Walrus posted:

lol all you need to do is pour acid on your face bro

But.... Which face are you pouring acid on?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mordaedil posted:

Articles like this just reminds me of how early in human development and science we are at.

Yeah, and with how fast we seem to be moving it's really exciting. My lifetime started in 1984 and compare what sort technology we were at then vs now. poo poo is going to go bananas real fast and it is going to own.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

McGiggins posted:

Only a matter of time now:

I don't see any Doritos or Mountain Dew in this picture, so it's complete inaccurate.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Heads up, Humble Bundle has an "Unreal Engine" bundle right now:

https://www.humblebundle.com/unreal-engine-bundle

For $4.11 you get Adr1ft, which works for Vive and Rift, as well as the base game for The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Once you redeem the Ethan Carter base game, it's $10 on Steam to get the VR DLC that'll mke it work on Vive/Rift.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Roadie posted:

I don't see any Doritos or Mountain Dew in this picture, so it's complete inaccurate.

Because they're in VR, duh!

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Oculus First Contact seems like a really neat demo. I've really enjoyed everything that Oculus Story Studios has put out so far so i'm happy to see that they're bundling another thing for free with this one.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-closer-look/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I finished Obduction but not in VR. The game was good but will need some performance optimization before I can go through the whole thing in VR. There are parts where you just can't move anymore and you don't know if it's because you're in an animation, you're just stuck on a lip or if it's loading. Until you look for the loading symbol, wait, or try to move another direction. It also gets frustrating when the game expects you to do something that you already tried to do and it didn't work. It doesn't make it obvious enough why you can't do something when it isn't time yet and it's never really clear when it will be enabled. By the time motion controls are added, hopefully I will have forgotten enough of the puzzles that I can play it again.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Finally got around to playing Edge of Nowhere. Definitely a cool experience and some points where they were quite inventive - the hallucinations/dream sequences especially. Sound and some of the visuals were really good, though there are definitely rough spots and visual inconsistencies (the outdoor landscapes especially).

w00tazn posted:

Oculus First Contact seems like a really neat demo. I've really enjoyed everything that Oculus Story Studios has put out so far so i'm happy to see that they're bundling another thing for free with this one.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-closer-look/
They say in that post they've now 'launched' ASW - does that mean it's been enabled, no need to mess about with .ini files or whatever?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I believe it's been active automatically for a few weeks now, since they released the 1.9 update (1.8 enabled it only if you did some registry stuff).

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

El Grillo posted:

They say in that post they've now 'launched' ASW - does that mean it's been enabled, no need to mess about with .ini files or whatever?

quote:

ASW is available with the release of the Oculus 1.10 runtime. It will be enabled across all ranges of hardware and systems that support the feature, and activated for all applications. ASW will automatically engage whenever the application needs extra time for rendering. For developers the Oculus Debug Tool will provide support for controlling ASW for development purposes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Daydream officially launched today. YouTube VR is their first big app, of course.

Most of the articles are saying "launching for Daydream first"; is this an initial exclusive, and will be later made available to cardboard users? YouTube Cardboard mode seems to work well enough on most phones.

Or is this the mobile VR watershed; daydream functionality will never be back ported to "legacy" phones?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Most of the articles are saying "launching for Daydream first"; is this an initial exclusive, and will be later made available to cardboard users? YouTube Cardboard mode seems to work well enough on most phones.

Or is this the mobile VR watershed; daydream functionality will never be back ported to "legacy" phones?

I can't see much chance of back-porting; Daydream is intended as a cardboard replacement, after all. A port to PC VR or PSVR seems more likely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Since there's only a couple daydream compatible phones, I'm guessing not much is going to be backported. Basic things like video and photo viewers will probably get ported. I doubt any kind of games or anything will.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess my two main concerns are

1) netflix/amazon prime
2) youtube

Other titles, not as concerned about. Amazon Prime has already had offline viewing support for some time (watched an entire season of GoT on an intercontinental flight last month), but not yet VR; Netflix has announced firm plans for offline viewing, but have been coy about which markets.

Youtube VR seems like an obvious choice to backport.

Oh, of interest, the Daydream View headset has a hand controller/wand; that device charges via USB-C. That makes it the first non phone, non-laptop, non-display device I've seen with USB-C out of the gate.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm excitied about touch. Will be nice to get into some dynamic VR without Vive's clunkiness. Actual modern graphics will be nice too.

Is there any indication of being able to extend the rift cable?

Fooz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 10, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The MSI backpack PC is now a thing you can purchase with money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154391

Zotac and other manufacturers are expected to have theirs available soon.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rastor posted:

Is this actually better than the cable? Unless you want to spin in a lot of circles I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fooz posted:

I'm excitied about touch. Will be nice to get into some dynamic VR without Vive's clunkiness. Actual modern graphics will be nice too.

You can extend the rift and the camera cable with the right extensions.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Fooz posted:

There are a variety of USB and HDMI extensions that can increase the distance by ~10m or so. You might need to dig around Reddit to find the compatibility lists people have made, though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fooz posted:

Is this actually better than the cable? Unless you want to spin in a lot of circles I guess.

These are not intended for the Rift, they are intended for the Vive because Lighthouse stations don't plug into the PC. With the Rift, the cameras still have to be plugged into the PC so you'd be tripping over those instead of the headset cable.

Edit: Also did they just seriously call a backpack PC with no display a "Pro Gaming Laptop"?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 10, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fooz posted:

It's better than the cable if you have a huge play area. So it's for a niche of VR, which of course is already a niche.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Rastor posted:

Based on those specifications, that thing's battery life probably won't reach 30 minutes.

e: maybe I'm reading the battery thing wrong, then it could last up to less than an hour.

BMan fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 10, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BMan posted:

Based on those specifications, that thing's battery life probably won't reach 30 minutes.

e: maybe I'm reading the battery thing wrong, then it could last up to less than an hour.

It's supposed to be "up to" 45 minutes per battery, and has 2 batteries.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm thinking about hitting up the Microsoft Store and Best Buy to demo the Vive and Rift. I've been interested in VR for a while but haven't been able to try it out.

What should I be looking out for or experimenting with during the demos? I want to get an idea of VR as an experience but I also want to check out the pros and cons of the two headsets beyond the stuff I can read about online.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is each 8 cells 90Wh for a total of 180? Or are both combined to reach 90Wh? The jump from idle to full tilt for my computer is about 160 watts. Adding in whatever it takes to idle, that doesn't look good for battery life. I doubt you can charge 90 watt hours (or 180) very fast.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Also did they just seriously call a backpack PC with no display a "Pro Gaming Laptop"?

Sounds like someone at Newegg just took their best guess at what product category that thing would fit in. I mean, it's not exactly a desktop, is it?

And had MSI recently done anything to advertise it? I had heard of Alienware showing off a backpack PC several months ago, but nothing from MSI.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"backtop"? :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

"backtop"? :v:

I was going to post this but didn't want to stoop so low. Thanks.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

FBS posted:

What should I be looking out for or experimenting with during the demos? I want to get an idea of VR as an experience but I also want to check out the pros and cons of the two headsets beyond the stuff I can read about online.

Mostly just how comfortable you find the straps and weight distribution, I guess? There are slight visual differences between the headsets in terms of FOV and pixel density, but I don't think they'll be set up to let you play the same thing on both headsets so you won't be able to compare them meaningfully. If you're slightly short- or long-sighted you might want to see if you can get a clear picture in either headset without corrective lenses.

If they have Touch demos (are those a thing yet?) it'll be worth doing those so you can compare the feel of the controllers to Vive's.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

FBS posted:

I'm thinking about hitting up the Microsoft Store and Best Buy to demo the Vive and Rift. I've been interested in VR for a while but haven't been able to try it out.

Primarily I'd say you're really just looking at how the visual quality hits you, if you feel the FOV is substantially better on one or the other, and how comfortable the headsets feel to you. The last one is probably more important than you think -- having something strapped to your head that isn't comfortable goes from minor annoyance to "I can't wear this loving thing anymore" pretty quickly.

I'm not sure if anyplace has the Touch controllers in to demo yet, if not you might want to wait a month to be able to compare that as well.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

None of us are going to live long enough to experience that.

I'm in my 20s. 60 years is a long time at the rate we're iterating. We had chimps moving prosthetic limbs with a brain implant in 2008.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Rastor posted:

It's supposed to be "up to" 45 minutes per battery, and has 2 batteries.

That would imply a total power consumption of PC + HMD of 120 watts... I don't buy it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Is each 8 cells 90Wh for a total of 180? Or are both combined to reach 90Wh? The jump from idle to full tilt for my computer is about 160 watts. Adding in whatever it takes to idle, that doesn't look good for battery life. I doubt you can charge 90 watt hours (or 180) very fast.

Well, if they can charge faster than they discharge, you could keep things going indefinitely.

However, there's something called the "Peukert's law", which basically means the faster you pull energy from a battery, the less energy you get out of it overall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law. For instance this backtop might last for 4 hours at 50 watts, but only a 1 hour at 100 watts.

I would definitely wait for some real-world testing there.

Edit: it's really dumb that they went to market trying to cheap on the batteries, yet I knew they would. 18650 battery cells are what this thing is using and they could have doubled the amount they used for a much more practical product at hardly any gain in weight.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BMan posted:

That would imply a total power consumption of PC + HMD of 120 watts... I don't buy it.

Mobile versions of CPU and GPU?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Fooz posted:

Check my post history if you want to see what not to buy. Basically if you're going for passive cables don't buy ones that are too long (more than 3m) - and google for preferred types of HDMI extension. I have 3m passive extensions now and it works great, except for occasional times when I boot up and the headset can't be recognised so I have to reboot (hasn't happened for a while though).

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Electromax posted:

I'm in my 20s. 60 years is a long time at the rate we're iterating. We had chimps moving prosthetic limbs with a brain implant in 2008.

We don't understand how the brain works.

We know a bunch of stuff about it, but still far too little to have any overall understanding. We don't know how consciousness works, how memory works, how personality works, how emotions work, how psychological disorders work, and so on. Furthermore, even if we did figure out how to implant some sort of socket into someone's brain to override all their sensory input, this sort of unnecessary brain surgery would still be fundamentally dangerous.

You will never experience virtual reality via some sort of wire into your brain. Future people might, but not you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NRVNQSR posted:

If they have Touch demos (are those a thing yet?) it'll be worth doing those so you can compare the feel of the controllers to Vive's.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm not sure if anyplace has the Touch controllers in to demo yet, if not you might want to wait a month to be able to compare that as well.

The Best Buy near me has Touch, and yes you definitely should try to find it if you're going to try Rift. VR without tracked controllers is incomplete. Touch makes Rift a complete package finally, so if you decide you like Rift more you definitely want to wait for it to start shipping properly.

As a Vive owner and Oculus Inc disliker, the Rift platform has caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

We don't understand how the brain works.

We know a bunch of stuff about it, but still far too little to have any overall understanding. We don't know how consciousness works, how memory works, how personality works, how emotions work, how psychological disorders work, and so on. Furthermore, even if we did figure out how to implant some sort of socket into someone's brain to override all their sensory input, this sort of unnecessary brain surgery would still be fundamentally dangerous.

You will never experience virtual reality via some sort of wire into your brain. Future people might, but not you.

Agree to disagree I spose. Still think 60 years is a long time at the rate we're iterating. We had only just figured out what a double helix was 60 years ago, and now we have machine learning techniques and HPC resources at our disposal. I don't know that we need to understand emotions and personality to simulate sensory signals, but when stuff like this is happening:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/robotics/medical-robots/autonomous-robot-surgeon-bests-human-surgeons-in-world-first
...hard for me not to think the dominoes will be falling faster than century scale.

I don't even want a wire into my brain, but I'm not about to say it's impossible. I'm a technology optimist at this point.

More weirdness:
https://www.wired.com/2016/01/phil-kennedy-mind-control-computer/