Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

I think you're also giving cooperation between Trump and rank-and-file Republicans way too much credit here. He's going to try to govern like a megalomaniac CEO and that's not going to go over well with the non-tea party wing of the Republican party - who already weren't exactly thrilled with Trump being their standard bearer.

Regardless, EPA is gone. Heavy cuts to Education. Heavy cuts to Science funding. Anti-LGBT Laws.

These are all things that both Trump and the rank-and-file agree on, despite their clashes. And all things Trump has promised to sign instantly, on day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't remember trump ever saying he wanted to repeal gay marriage, although tbh I wasnt paying too much attention to the campaigning

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What's the chances that the republican party splits?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

I don't remember trump ever saying he wanted to repeal gay marriage, although tbh I wasnt paying too much attention to the campaigning

He basically wants to leave Domestic Policy to Pence.

Who is notorious for, in his state, pushing bills for "Religious Freedom" and a bill to jail gays who applied for Marriage Licenses.

That and both The Donald and Pence courted the hard Right Evangelical crowd hard with promises of repeals and "Religious Freedom"

And none of these things are things that mainline Republicans and Trump disagree on. So there will be little to no infighting to get that passed.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Well the vice president believes that if you shock and torture gay people, they'll find God and stop being gay. So there's that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Just picked up my rental car at the Buffalo airport. They took the time to ask me if I was going to Canada today. LOL.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

really stuck up there posted:

as an australian who cant be arsed doing household tasks i am offering up a spare bed in exchange for household tasks, there is also a 5cyl volvo in it for you.

Go on..... Is it a wagon?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rdb posted:

Just picked up my rental car at the Buffalo airport. They took the time to ask me if I was going to Canada today. LOL.
Welcome, and sorry!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

So no, forgive me if even without a true super-majority if I'm still concerned. As it is, most of the Gay Rights groups are encouraging couples to get married RIGHT NOW before he takes office.

You have plenty of reason to be concerned. I'm very concerned and I'm a straight white male. I was just saying that they do not have a supermajority in either house. You may be right that it doesn't matter.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

All the Rust belt support is going to put some mega pressures to try and force manufacturing.

Wonder if the Auto Industry will be legit bent over by tariffs in the coming years.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Welcome, and sorry!

Haha. The Buffalo airport is actually really nice tho :shrug:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

keykey posted:

My wife was all about watching the election google live update last night and was a "with her" person and even she had a hard time swallowing this screen shot we grabbed last night:

This was taken when they called Washington state in her favor. Her exact words were "hahaha.. What. The gently caress. This is the type of poo poo why she won't win."

That was taken before King, Pierce, and Snohomish County were counted. They gave more than half a million votes to Hillary, most especially King County which is the most populous and the most "blue".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ilkhan posted:

On the plus side, we just might get another couple judges who have actually read the constitution once or twice.

I keep telling myself this as it seems to be the only positive.

angryrobots posted:

What's the chances that the republican party splits?

Very high.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

And none of these things are things that mainline Republicans and Trump disagree on. So there will be little to no infighting to get that passed.

Except without a supermajority the democrats can stop such legislation in the senate.

And if the Republicans didn't do away with the filibuster during the Bush years - when they were seriously suggesting a permanent right-wing majority in both the house and senate was possible - they sure as hell aren't going to do it now.

Also regarding marriage equality - unless the SCOTUS rehears Obergefell v. Hodges (highly, highly unlikely this soon after it was decided) or 3/4ths of the states sign off on a constitutional amendment prohibiting marriage equality there's literally nothing else they can do to overturn or hinder it - especially given how broad the language of the decision was.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

And if the Republicans didn't do away with the filibuster during the Bush years - when they were seriously suggesting a permanent right-wing majority in both the house and senate was possible - they sure as hell aren't going to do it now.

We'll see, but I'm not going to be shocked if they do away with it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Geoj posted:

Also regarding marriage equality - unless the SCOTUS rehears Obergefell v. Hodges (highly, highly unlikely this soon after it was decided) or 3/4ths of the states sign off on a constitutional amendment prohibiting marriage equality there's literally nothing else they can do to overturn or hinder it - especially given how broad the language of the decision was.

I mean this in the best way possible but I'm sick of the left absolutely demanding that social issues be the front and center fighting point of every election while not giving a poo poo what happens to all workers.

My generation is flushing down the toliet every economic right and benefit that the generations before us had to fight tooth and nail to get for workers. We don't have good pensions, we don't have good job security, we don't have good benefits and nobody brings that up. I'm all for equal rights for all but we just let this poo poo slip away without notice because everyone on both sides acts like the west is going to turn into the UAE every election cycle unless we make the primary dialogue in the campaign about social issues.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rotten Cookies posted:

Well the vice president believes that if you shock and torture gay people, they'll find God and stop being gay. So there's that.

Charming

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Cage posted:

Welcome, and sorry!

This is my 7th week in a row flying here for a meeting. First time they asked for some reason...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

dude's, last night did not go the way anyone expected. It is a little soon to decide that the world is coming to an end. I think that it is important to look that not everyone who voted Trump are bigot/racist/everything-ists. The people had to determine between two candidates that likely did not reflect their entire ideals. Turns out things like the 2nd amendment and abortion rank pretty high with a majority of people that are motivated enough to get out and mark their ballot. HRC failed to inspire her group to get out and vote, with a budget astronomically larger than her competitor. I am hopeful we can come together as communities and a country to show love and respect with one another. I have close friends and family that are LGTB, immigrants, people of other faiths etc. and I will be sure that they know I love and support them.

I think after all the hot takes are had the real thing that should be on everyone's mind is that the liberal media is so far off base they don't even know what to do with themselves.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Haha. The Buffalo airport is actually really nice tho :shrug:
Sure but the farther away you go...:derp:

edit: and dont mind the smoke

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 9, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think after all the hot takes are had the real thing that should be on everyone's mind is that the liberal media is so far off base they don't even know what to do with themselves.

Most media is Centrist-Right. Even NPR, which is considered 'Liberal' is largely Centrist.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

:smugdon:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

dude's, last night did not go the way anyone expected. It is a little soon to decide that the world is coming to an end. I think that it is important to look that not everyone who voted Trump are bigot/racist/everything-ists. The people had to determine between two candidates that likely did not reflect their entire ideals. Turns out things like the 2nd amendment and abortion rank pretty high with a majority of people that are motivated enough to get out and mark their ballot. HRC failed to inspire her group to get out and vote, with a budget astronomically larger than her competitor. I am hopeful we can come together as communities and a country to show love and respect with one another. I have close friends and family that are LGTB, immigrants, people of other faiths etc. and I will be sure that they know I love and support them.

You're right, there's a lot of unknowns. Next month my relatives from South America finally are immigrating to the states. After electing a presidential candidate that's so anti immigrant, it concerns me. It's hard to be positive about that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think people are really over reacting about this stuff.

First off, Trump does not have a supermajority in the Senate. That requires 60 seats to break filibusters.

He really hasn't made ending abortion and electrocuting LGBT people a centerpiece of his campaign. Don't forget he was pro choice until the primary. The republicans have had a staunch anti abortion president, congressional majorities and a conservative Supreme Court in the past and have done nothing. They would lose a huge carrot to dangle in front of people's face and they know it. At this point, to end abortion they would need an amendment. Pence was just a nod to evangelicals suggested by his son, otherwise I am fairly sure Christie would be veep. Pence also signed the bill that neutered RFRA after massive public outcry.

And for those saying it's worse than Brexit, keep in mind that the EU is more than a free trade agreement. It let citizens work in other countries, removed border checkpoints, had mutual defense agreements, money flowing from one government to prop up another, etc. Ending free trade with a developing nation is way different. Scrapping a free trade deal with a dozen more is even better.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The jar of wee and smug Trump go together majestically.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Not an attack on you, but what media is the liberal media? Are they as bad as the right-wing/conservative media? I mean, the ones who outright lied about loving everything? Just like everything in Trump's campaign?

I just don't get it. Thank gently caress I'm north of the border, but I'm legitimately worried about our already fragile economy. Trumps poised to flush the world down the shitter. I'm just hoping he doesn't.

And if anyone wants to loving touch abortion rights, womens rights, etc I hope they get put in front of a firing squad. Let people be people and be happy. The simple fact of the matter is that the reason the left pushes social issues so much is that the right is so loving adamant about taking away what people have fought for. What's next - women not being allowed to vote? Oh, wait, Trump supporters were already calling for that.

This whole election was a giant shitshow, and the fact that a highly qualified woman lost to a loving reality-show cheeto with anger management issues who had to have his twitter account revoked just shows how goddamn badly religion is loving this world. Sorry to the actual proper Christians who give a poo poo about other people, but most Christians seem to be FYGM, electrocute the gays and shoot the colored people.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Siochain posted:

This whole election was a giant shitshow, and the fact that a highly qualified woman lost to a loving reality-show cheeto with anger management issues who had to have his twitter account revoked just shows how goddamn badly religion is loving this world. Sorry to the actual proper Christians who give a poo poo about other people, but most Christians seem to be FYGM, electrocute the gays and shoot the colored people.

I don't think it is so much that as it was that the working class are so god drat desperate for a voice that a rich billionaire could basically come in and con him by saying he was going to "make it happen" and they all went along with it. Both parties have largely abandoned that segment and chased the money over the past thirty years and those people so desperately wanted a voice they just believed whatever Trump said because he was "on their side". I feel sorry for the Trump supporters because ultimately they've been conned but hopefully a real movement that actually wants to change things comes out of this.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Everyone take 10 minutes out of their day freaking out or celebrating and watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhFGO8R7aU

Everything will be okay, I promise.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

My thing with Trump winning is that theres c so much he can gently caress up:

Environmental issues are all pretty much done for the next 4 years. And the window in which we can prevent catastrophic failure is closing.

Forget have any kind of gay rights issues for the next 4 years. Let alone trans rights.

Plus Trump has allowed open rasicm to come back into vogue, so that's just making things extra lovely for anyone who isn't a straight white guy.

And of course now he gets to pick Justices. So he can continue loving things over for generations to come.

But honestly now the answer isn't to pack up and leave. That does nothing but make it worse for those who are powerless. Now is the time to start rebuilding, getting involved, and ensuring that Trump's damage can be contained until the next election.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The term 'Liberal Media' only makes sense using Mao's definition of Liberal.

And RE: Social Issues taking precedence over other ones, I'd say it is because, it is the only one thing that can be pushed through by centre aligned parties to seem progressive, anything else and suddenly you are skewered as a dangerous and unelectable communist / tree hugger / peacenik / whatever. We might as well take the easy social issues wins while we wait and hope for the seas to change on other issues.

stump fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 9, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm just sad that giant meteor didnt win. :(

Honestly, didnt give two shits who ended up in office. my house is on tires. poo poo gets too bad I'll just fire that mother up and find a new trailerpark to defile.

CommieGIR posted:

Regardless, EPA is gone. Heavy cuts to Education. Heavy cuts to Science funding. Anti-LGBT Laws.

Hows about you and I move to Baja and build things in the sand

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 9, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

So, GM announcing 2 plants closing next year.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wistful of Dollars posted:

:smugdon:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Not closing plants, cutting third shift.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Id' just like to say, Not My Fault, I voted for Bill and Opus:

redgubbinz posted:

So on the choice for a War Rig, should I be looking at diesel? I figure the extra range plus the unpopularity in the U.S. would mean I could find supplies for longer and stay on the move. That gives me the base, but I'm thinking either Volvo 240 wagon or Mercedes S-Class for the topper, just in case of retaliatory strikes. This is a lot of work...you think 14" and crew are accepting neophytes out there in Kansas?

Diesel unpopular? You must not be in Texas, where every third pickup is diesel.

General_Failure posted:

What? No. It's just we went first is all. The U.S. did what it does best and set out to one up us with the election.

For now I've stopped caring what happens in Aussie politics, because who cares who's driving when you've already crashed and burned. Over there in the Land of the Free(TM) it will be interesting times. I just can't even grasp what will happen. There are safeguards in place to stop the POTUS from doing anything really retarded though, right?

In theory.

really stuck up there posted:

so should i crowbar my neighbour now and steal his xb or do you think i'll have to wait a few days?

I've got a start - I own a '70 Olds Cutlass (V8! Praise him!) that's already dented and flat black, AND a Crown Vic cop car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm just sad that giant meteor didnt win. :(

:agreed:

cursedshitbox posted:

Hows about you and I move to Baja and build things in the sand

Not who it was directed at, but if I could somehow convince my job to let me work remote 100% of the time, I'd seriously consider Baja. People down there are really nice in general, and the taco's are amazing and less than 20 peso's each. Mmm....

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think that it is important to look that not everyone who voted Trump are bigot/racist/everything-ists.

Yes they are.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

:agreed:

Not who it was directed at, but if I could somehow convince my job to let me work remote 100% of the time, I'd seriously consider Baja. People down there are really nice in general, and the taco's are amazing and less than 20 peso's each. Mmm....

hell yes. Baja is on my to-do list for 2017. Gonna be so happy to get outta the poo poo show known as the bay area next month. gently caress densely populated areas and wild weather patterns. Give me heat, give me sun. nothing. loving. else.

Diesel war rig best war rig. FYI.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Not closing plants, cutting third shift.

CBC wrote it wrong. V:shobon:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yes they are.

I hate him as much as possible, but I agree. That kind of thinking is in large part why Trump exists at all, and why he's going to be president. Identity politics is cancer.

• Locked thread