Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

2DCAT posted:

A perpetual beta wouldn't hamper a game with fun dynamics imo. What kills AO is that it's a needless grind with no payoff. The first two weeks are fun as hell. Then it feels like you're forced to grind skeltals for years on end (unless something major changed in the last testing period). If a game offered fun dynamics from the start of game until the end of game, people wouldn't care about wipes and say "welp, I don't feel like forcing myself to grind through yet another beta; i'm out guys!" The game lacks fun; it's going to be hard to fix that, without first acknowledging it. And no, adding gems back into the game isn't the answer to the 'fun' question.

I think even taking that out, the combat isn't fun.

The long GCD for what should otherwise be a twitch game and the relatively slow pace of everything because of the holdover from tablet ambitions make it kind of bullshit. Frankly, WoW is probably the only game that does the small team competitive PVP thing properly, and it's only now getting to a place where it's fun for everyone after years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ruggan posted:

Yeah but when the only fun part of your game is the first month, you can't exactly release

the genie in the bottle scenario

classic mmo blunder :ocelot::grin:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Hey look another RT meeting with the devs that's in the middle of the day. RIP US

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
are we still pretending to care about what happens next

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Blazing Zero posted:

I care about the status of gems

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Much like pokemons i will need to collect all the gems.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

In scope development:
Reactivate deactivated content
Update wipe abacus
Develop meeting scheduler (internal use)

Out of scope development:
Everything else

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Blazing Zero posted:

Maybe? Does wanting to watch a slow motion train wreck derailing itself into a dumpster fire because it's funny count as caring about what happens next?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

slow motion train wreck sounds like a great band name

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i lean strongly on sippy cvp

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Kimsemus posted:

I think even taking that out, the combat isn't fun.

The long GCD for what should otherwise be a twitch game and the relatively slow pace of everything because of the holdover from tablet ambitions make it kind of bullshit. Frankly, WoW is probably the only game that does the small team competitive PVP thing properly, and it's only now getting to a place where it's fun for everyone after years.

Twitch game? Aren't the zones haphazardly hosted in random locations throughout earth's surface - or did we fix that

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

they havent said anything about not hosting the zones across three different continents afaik

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

FireWhizzle posted:

Twitch game? Aren't the zones haphazardly hosted in random locations throughout earth's surface - or did we fix that

Perhaps I was being overly generous :toot:

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Is this stinky shithole of a game good yet?

~~~buddy blaziiin~~~

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

hobocrunch posted:

Is this stinky shithole of a game good yet?

~~~buddy blaziiin~~~

it was good, but they are trying to make it worse.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

it was good, but they are trying to make it worse.

it was bad, they made it better and then power bombed it into a flaming dumpster

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

it was bad, they made it better and then power bombed it into a flaming dumpster

lol best one sentence explaination of albion

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Well... this game is at least still better than whatever star citizen is vOv

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

2DCAT posted:

Well... this game is at least still better than whatever star citizen is vOv

By virtue of actually being a game, yeah I suppose that counts as a win. More of a 'the opponent never showed up' win by default though.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Blazing Zero posted:

yes, it's a repetitive cycle, it just depends on when you jumped in on the circle

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Offscreen nametags
With this option enabled, you will now see the nametags of approaching players at the edge of your screen as soon as they're in detection range, so you can see who's coming before they enter the screen. The distance that you can spot other players is thus the same for everyone, regardless of screen resolution etc.

Welll....

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

thank god, the fact that every decent group had people with screen resolution mods or were able to change the zoom distance with cheat engine needed to be fixed.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

thank god, the fact that every decent group had people with screen resolution mods or were able to change the zoom distance with cheat engine needed to be fixed.

i think that banning cheaters and fixing the client so screen resolution mods didnt work is a better idea but i understand the trump vote to spite hillary stance as well

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

i think that banning cheaters and fixing the client so screen resolution mods didnt work is a better idea but i understand the trump vote to spite hillary stance as well

the problem is both of those solutions would require actual competency in programming :v:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

they have no anti-cheat software, and even catching 99% of people is inadequate. making cheats worthless is better than banning cheaters.

Kimsemus posted:

the problem is both of those solutions would require actual competency in programming :v:

the fact that they didn't fix this in alpha 1 is a huge gently caress up. it's such an easy fix in so many different ways.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

the fact that they didn't fix this in alpha 1 is a huge gently caress up. it's such an easy fix in so many different ways.

Especially considering how widely reported zoom exploits were, among others.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
HEY LOOK I SEE A KIMSEMUS NAME RUN THE OTHER WAY. I can't even imagine how pvp will even happen now. As it was the one dude in baka made it so we could completely avoid people. Now you'll just be chasing a name on the side of the screen. "We'll I still see the name so he's this way somewhere".

On the flip side you don't have to channel the mount. The scales must be balanced.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

forge posted:

HEY LOOK I SEE A KIMSEMUS NAME RUN THE OTHER WAY. I can't even imagine how pvp will even happen now. As it was the one dude in baka made it so we could completely avoid people. Now you'll just be chasing a name on the side of the screen. "We'll I still see the name so he's this way somewhere".

On the flip side you don't have to channel the mount. The scales must be balanced.

Thankfully, SI is pretty good at balancing.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

forge posted:

i don't think anyone will be seeing a kimsemus name in albion :911:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Scratch the last balance.

It seems you still have a slight channel to get on the mount still. Seriously lol so really the only buff is that you get the increased mount weight while gathering.

You can see it in the faye video, the mounting bs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Luj8aKUV-g

The game does look about 3000% better.. but it's still AO.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

they're adding an arena, that basically kills the game on its own.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

they're adding an arena, that basically kills the game on its own.

lmao are they really doing this?

Because RIP game if so.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I told them they should make it so yellow zone gvgs didn't drop gear as a learning area. Then people slowly move out from there. Instead literally every single RT person disagreed and said that should be for the arena.

So now 90% of the population will be in a instance. Forsight..

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

forge posted:

I told them they should make it so yellow zone gvgs didn't drop gear as a learning area. Then people slowly move out from there. Instead literally every single RT person disagreed and said that should be for the arena.

So now 90% of the population will be in a instance. Forsight..

All of this could be solved by changing it to "Who's Gear is it, Anyway?", the HIT game show where gear doesn't matter, and the points mean nothing! That's right folks, log in kill things and have fun!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

FireWhizzle posted:

All of this could be solved by changing it to "Who's Gear is it, Anyway?", the HIT game show where gear doesn't matter, and the points mean nothing! That's right folks, log in kill things and have fun!

Why not just play a moba then, though?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Ruggan posted:

Why not just play a moba then, though?

This has literally been the running joke of the AO threads since ever :iiapa:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

FireWhizzle posted:

This has literally been the running joke of the AO threads since ever :iiapa:

Don't tell everyone

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

cant vbelieve dodgin just explained the joke. wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Blazing Zero posted:

cant vbelieve dodgin just explained the joke. wow

It's done, close thread

• Locked thread