Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Apraxin posted:

But what some people are saying about needing to drop the racial identity politics, focus much much more on class, seems like it's effectively telling minorities 'sure, white-dominated society institutionally discriminates against you and throws obstacle after obstacle in the path to equality. and sure, you've turned out for us these past few years because we've promised to try and fix things. well, sorry, but it turns out that taking some baby steps in that direction really alienated white people, so we're gonna put your issues on the back burner for a bit while we focus on what matters to them. you're ok with that, right? I mean, it's not like you'll vote for the other side - they'll do nothing for you!'.

This is where I'm at and I don't know the answer to it. I know not every lower class rural voter is a racist, but I don't know exactly how you appeal to that general demographic while still maintaining an overall racially progressive message.

I'm on the run so I can't pull up the studies or anything at the moment, and feel free to correct me if I'm totally misstating something, but I remember a while back reading a number of pieces about in today's America, it's not enough to just offer people something -- you have to offer them something while still ensuring them that other people won't get that same thing. Sometimes it's about race, sometimes it's about class, but that sentiment is there a lot in voters from both parties.

You could see a lot of this back in the minimum wage debate last year, especially when the stuff with the Seattle airport was happening. There were a lot of people who would be demonstrably better off with a minimum wage increase, and it would be better for the economy as a whole, but they refused to support it because of stuff like "It's bullshit that I had to work my rear end off to make $12 my job and now you're just going to give that to some new kid, gently caress that" or "You seriously think a janitor or a burger flipper (or insert any low-paying job often held by non-whites) should make $15 an hour when I only make $16?" and in their minds race didn't even enter the equation, but their position still helped enforce white supremacy. And even if that's not rational, it's understandable, and you can't just handwave it away with "Ugh you greedy racist shut up and accept it."

How DO you convince a rural, or even middle class white voter, that they'll be better off with a "rising tide lifts all boats" message? They haven't bought it in the past -- how do you package it so it works?

Part of Trump's success, even for people who aren't actively racist, is that he actively combined a message of "I'm going to make YOUR life better" with "And here's how I'll make all these OTHER people's lives worse, making you EVEN BETTER off!"

How do we combat that? How do we embrace that? I don't know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

They vote for what they believe to be in their own interest, because the opposing party hasn't come up with an effective debunking yet, somehow.

Agreed. Problem is that there's plenty of debunking but they've convinced people that the media lies to them and that you can't believe anything except what the hivemind says. I'm at a loss at how the Democrats can get that messaging across because up to this point they've been completely incompetent. I'm definitely not an accelerationist but until lower and middle-class people get really hosed you're not going to see any kind of shift in how the country votes. Even then I don't really have faith that Republican voters will make the connection.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not owned! I'm not owned!

No. I'm owned. I got owned by a bunch of idiot potheads who felt that the people like me who campaigned for Bernie didn't do a good enough job shoving my tongue up their rear end, and then did nothing in either the primary or the general. Dumb white dudes owned me again by ruining my future. I got trolled hard bro. You guys did it. You got me.

<----lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SoggyBobcat posted:

Even with those reforms, white privilege (and white male privilege, specifically) was still the status quo. I don't know what's controversial about this.

White dude posters wanting to pretend they aren't the problem is what's controversial about it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Watching white people try to grasp for any reason as to why all of this isn't their and their white nationalist relatives fault when literally every other racial group is telling you "no, it is. Racism and sexism in America is on y'all", because every single reason you think of, makes no goddamn sense if you think about it for more than 5 seconds.

It's the fault of all you "good" white people that are still smiling and laughing and loving your hateful bigoted sexist and racist rear end family members instead of cutting them the gently caress off and treating them like the awful fuckin people they are.

And now here we are. Y'all didn't want to make the sacrifices that minorities have to make everyday, and you hosed everyone in the process.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Pretty much.

You say that, and what I hear is "Race is the possible reason to vote for anyone at any time. It is the only issue that has any relevance at all." which is blatantly and completely false. Your single issue may not be my single issue which may not be some other voter's single issue. You don't get to decide what is important to someone else.

I don't have an answer to that. That wasn't the election. Maybe Trump just wasn't bad enough. We won't know for another 4 years.

Also this.

I'm saying that racism, sexism, bigotry, democracy, freedom of the press, etc exist as a laundry list of things that if you choose to ignore them you're actively supporting those that do harm to our society and country.

I'm not saying everyone must litmus test on who will help women more, but that if you say "I'm not a women so I don't consider how my vote impacts women" that choice supports sexism. And so on.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Obama has really set a dangerous table for Trump:

1. Wars without authorization
2. Executive Orders that bypass Congress
3. Domestic spying with no Congressional oversight (in fact, spies on Congress)
4. DOJ going after reporters

Gonna be a lot of introspection about the Obama years in light of this victory.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
^^^Oh please, introspection only lasts as long as your team isn't the one holding the stick. We've seen this pattern a million times before.

negromancer posted:

Watching white people try to grasp for any reason as to why all of this isn't their and their white nationalist relatives fault when literally every other racial group is telling you "no, it is. Racism and sexism in America is on y'all", because every single reason you think of, makes no goddamn sense if you think about it for more than 5 seconds.

It's the fault of all you "good" white people that are still smiling and laughing and loving your hateful bigoted sexist and racist rear end family members instead of cutting them the gently caress off and treating them like the awful fuckin people they are.

And now here we are. Y'all didn't want to make the sacrifices that minorities have to make everyday, and you hosed everyone in the process.

Wanna explain why Obama had 10% higher turnout and rocked many of the precincts that Hillary lost or barely won?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have one glimmer of hope: Trump's base is hugely made up of authoritarian followers in the Altemeyer sense; whatever Trump says, they like, as long as he keeps projecting the image of an authoritarian strongman. Case in point: when Trump said Obama was born in the US suddenly his people were totally OK with that because he was the one who said it. So if Trump doesn't give a gently caress about loving awful lolbertarian austrian economics bullshit (which the base only cared about when it was framed with dogwhistles that appealed to their own fears anyway) then we may see that ideology lose credibility.

welp anyway, I voted for Bernie in the primary and Abuela in the general, I'm still sad, gently caress everything. :smithicide:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

has anyone else been getting pop ups in the corner of their browser from washington post after reading a few articles on there? And if so, any idea how to turn them off?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arkane posted:

Obama has really set a dangerous table for Trump:

1. Wars without authorization
2. Executive Orders that bypass Congress
3. Domestic spying with no Congressional oversight (in fact, spies on Congress)
4. DOJ going after reporters

Gonna be a lot of introspection about the Obama years in light of this victory.

Lol someone hasn't gotten to GW Bush in their history class yet.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

HorseRenoir posted:

I'd like to believe that the media will go hard on Trump's administration simply because the story is juicier, but lol who knows

They also have to deal with Trump suing them for anything he regards as misinformation. David Cay Johnston had to lawyer up more than any other point in his career after writing his book on Trump and that was after filling it with indisputable facts in the public record. Truth is irrelevant, the courts are an effective way of inconveniencing people into ruin if you can throw enough money and power behind your frivolous lawsuits.

loving absurd that just like 2000, the candidate with the most votes doesn't win on account of the electoral college and now Trump's ideology is going to be widespread regardless of what the majority wants. It's the sort of thing that should be causing a nation-wide, enraged political revolution but everyone is just going to grumble and move on because that's the way the system is set up, I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SoggyBobcat posted:

Even with those reforms, white privilege (and white male privilege, specifically) was still the status quo. I don't know what's controversial about this.

If you don't understand why Trump represented a massive shift in the status quo, at least on paper, then wtf are you doing talking about politics

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Schizotek posted:

Because the dumb fuckers didn't bother to vote in the primary election either. Hillary won the primaries popular vote by more than 3 million. But the stupid lazy potheads could do nothing but whine about how the election was stolen from them because they were too lazy to get off the couch to actually do anything, and then spent the entire general basically being republicans for all the good they did the election. Berniebros are garbage who hosed over every gay person and minority in the country with their selfishness and apathy.

Yeah let's keep thinking those Berniebros are the reason she lost. It's not like they still voted in numbers in line with the past of supporters of the 2nd place primary loser.

Hillary was a garbage tier candidate. She was never able to control an narrative about herself or her opponent.

Her "classic campaign skills" had almost nothing to do with her. She had a poo poo load of money since like 2008 building up to the run. Of course you can take an early lead when you start the race with full party support and tens of millions of dollars already raised. Her surrogates performed well and did heir jobs, but Clinton could never rally public support.

As a "Berniebro" myself I spent the last months publicly telling people to vote for Hillary and talking about all of the terrible poo poo Trump has done. Bernie supports did NOT throw this election, the establishment deciding it was "her turn" years ago is what lost it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

steinrokkan posted:

People are antagonized by the message "You are bigoted, because I say so, and I'm smarter than you. Also I'm not going to listen to what you are going to say in response, so don't even bother."

Who is actually saying that, outside of people on the internet? I'm tired of legitimizing this narrative.

Hillary's campaign was at best tenatively, tepidly even, pro-black. She did not bend over backwards to BLM. She did not echo extremist Tumblr screeds. So tell me, who exactly in the Democratic party is telling non-college educated whites this?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also, even if the ONLY reason trump won is white supremacy... what are you doing to do about it? What is the Democratic party going to do about it?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

negromancer posted:

You are absolutely unhinged, and never in a million years will telling people to cut their families off create the society you want.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

chumbler posted:

I'm praying they'll finally wake up and do their loving jobs for once.

I think this is the wrong expectation. Their jobs are to make money by selling advertisements. They cozy up to politicians, smile and nod because they need the access for stories that draw eyes to ads.

To corporate media, things like truth, due diligence and civic responsibility are like regulations to a business. They care about them exactly enough to not pay a cost for ignoring them, and then not a moment more.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hot take but i think the biggest failure of leftist ideology at the moment is calving off race and economics into discrete issues without overlap. this creates a Blind Men and the Elephant situation - Jacobin finds the economics facet of Trumpism and declares it to be a class issue; Slate finds the white identity politics and declares it to be a racial issue.

i think if there is going to be some form of resurgent left in America, it needs to recognize that economics and race are interrelated and that dismissing one half of that equation simply does not work.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol someone hasn't gotten to GW Bush in their history class yet.

How does GW Bush relate to my post? The only thing that applies is domestic surveillance, which Obama expanded massively.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bushiz posted:

The actions of populations are the result of those trying to influence those populations. Hillary Clinton could not convince 10 million people to get out of their houses as obama did in 2008, and it is not the fault of those 10 million.

At what point does this become infantilizing and deny the agency of voters?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Apraxin posted:

I think I get where people are coming from on this: Trump is the first candidate in a generation to explicitly court rural whites, non-college whites, etc (and boy did it pay off for him), and the Dems will likely pay a stiff price if they just write off that whole voting block as racist and not worth bothering with.

But what some people are saying about needing to drop the racial identity politics, focus much much more on class, seems like it's effectively telling minorities 'sure, white-dominated society institutionally discriminates against you and throws obstacle after obstacle in the path to equality. and sure, you've turned out for us these past few years because we've promised to try and fix things. well, sorry, but it turns out that taking some baby steps in that direction really alienated white people, so we're gonna put your issues on the back burner for a bit while we focus on what matters to them. you're ok with that, right? I mean, it's not like you'll vote for the other side - they'll do nothing for you!'.

Which seems:
a) a real lovely thing to do.
b) likely to swing the pendulum the other way, so that any gain in white vote prised from the new populist right is countered by depressed minority turnout.

I just don't see how more focus on common working class problems excludes minorities. That conclusion seems to be based on flawed premises. For one minority voters are not a homogeneous block and may be socially conservative and only democrats out of convenience.

negromancer posted:

This is an unreasonable post.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Ways Bernie ruined the election
1. Daring to run a successful grassroots campaign despite having little public presence at the time
2. Stepping out of the race without complaint or anger when it became clear he wasn't going to be the candidate
3. Campaigning for Hillary and telling his supporters that getting her elected was priority #1
4. Existing
5. Something about being Jewish?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I am very interested to see how people react to Trump when he doesn't do 90% of what he promised. Like it's pretty clear a lot of Trump's campaign 'promises' were him just saying whatever it is he thought the base wanted to hear.

Like, who the gently caress knows what Trump's actual ideologies and important goals are. When Trump doesn't build a wall, doesn't deport all brown people, doesn't bomb ISIS, doesn't put Hilary in jail; how do the Trump voters react?

We'll get the rollbacks on entitlement programs and the eventual dissolution of Obamacare (God knows how long that'll take), but that's the only one of his campaign 'promises' I can see him doing with any level of certainty.

I really don't see him being a very involved President, more just a face. The GOP senate and house will pass a whole lot of poo poo that he didn't bring up in his campaign and his base didn't necessarily expect.

BTW assuming Paul Ryan sticks around say hello to the world of block grant food stamps.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

corn in the bible posted:

Also, even if the ONLY reason trump won is white supremacy... what are you doing to do about it? What is the Democratic party going to do about it?

Nothing. Republicans will control the government for a generation.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Torpor posted:

I just don't see how more focus on common working class problems excludes minorities. That conclusion seems to be based on flawed premises. For one minority voters are not a homogeneous block and may be socially conservative and only democrats out of convenience.

Because for the last hundred years of American politics, solutions to the problems of the common working class have usually explicitly excluded minorities.

It's not an unusual thing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Squashing Machine posted:

Ways Bernie ruined the election
1. Daring to run a successful grassroots campaign despite having little public presence at the time
2. Stepping out of the race without complaint or anger when it became clear he wasn't going to be the candidate
3. Campaigning for Hillary and telling his supporters that getting her elected was priority #1
4. Existing
5. Something about being Jewish?

Bernie himself did not do anything to ruin the election, no. Some of his supporters, on the other hand, were batshit insane.

Then again I don't think there's any evidence those people would have voted blue in absence of Bernie anyways, so :shrug:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

trash person posted:

I am very interested to see how people react to Trump when he doesn't do 90% of what he promised. Like it's pretty clear a lot of Trump's campaign 'promises' were him just saying whatever it is he thought the base wanted to hear.

Like, who the gently caress knows what Trump's actual ideologies and important goals are. When Trump doesn't build a wall, doesn't deport all brown people, doesn't bomb ISIS, doesn't put Hilary in jail; how do the Trump voters react?

We'll get the rollbacks on entitlement programs and the eventual dissolution of Obamacare (God knows how long that'll take), but that's the only one of his campaign 'promises' I can see him doing with any level of certainty.

I really don't see him being a very involved President, more just a face. The GOP senate and house will pass a whole lot of poo poo that he didn't bring up in his campaign and his base didn't necessarily expect.

BTW assuming Paul Ryan sticks around say hello to the world of block grant food stamps.

Makes me wonder what's going to happen when the people who voted for Trump because they were tired of being hosed continue to get hosed.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Sad folks:

CBT warns us against "fortune telling" as it can lead to negative feedback loops in your thought processes.

It is not foregone that civil rights will be curtailed in Trump's America, but if the unthinkable occurs, please remember you have a voice and a vote. Protest, inform, and participate.

In the face of a setback, you can choose to despair or to harden your resolve.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because for the last hundred years of American politics, solutions to the problems of the common working class have usually explicitly excluded minorities.

It's not an unusual thing.

Sure but that is an easy messaging fix.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Bernie once faked the funk on a nasty dunk and i have the footage to prove it. stay tuned for my oppo dump.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arkane posted:

How does GW Bush relate to my post? The only thing that applies is domestic surveillance, which Obama expanded massively.

Right he called them "signing statements"

Torpor posted:

What specifically about that post is unreasonable?

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

negromancer posted:

did white people vote for obama over romney because they're racist

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I kind of wonder if Obama will try and play a role in Democratic Party going forward. he's still pretty young for an exiting President but I imagine he's going to retire for a bit first

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If the Democrats try and pin this on Bernie (which I have no idea if they are other than a few salty Hillary fans here) they will and deserve to lose in 2020. The problem is that we are going to pay for it like we are now.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Bhaal posted:

I'm not sure if it's posted, this thread is moving a little quickly, but speaking of moving, this is an extremely good twitter thread that is worth your time:

I had to make it a link like this so it wouldn't just embed the first tweet

Keep expanding it, there's dozens and dozens of posts in it. Hard medicine but I feel a little better for having read it.

Twitter is godawful to read and lots of people won't, so I'm going to format it here:

quote:

woke up out of my dead sleep an hour ago. I knew Trump won before I went to bed. I just thought I might have a full nights sleep first

I'm the only one awake at my place so woke up lonely and deeply sad.

So I came here. Looking for something.

Sometimes it just feels too big, too overwhelming. The deep hatred and anger in America had always been there. But sometimes

Sometimes you know a relationship has been over for years, but hearing the words "I don't love you" still cuts deeply

That is where I am

I know America hates me. I know it is full of bigotry and ignorance. I have no illusions

It still hurts to hear

This feeling I feel now is one I haven't felt in years. Not since arguing kids out of jail.

I had a girl on probation

She'd done everything we'd asked of her. The hard work, the soul searching, brought up her grades, stayed out of trouble.

She had done so well she'd been selected to represent our program in Albany.

But the case that had brought her to us a year earlier although minor, was a probation violation. But nobody had bothered to violate her.

So here we are with our model child, excited to advocate for juvenile justice.

And the police come to arrest her

I had never been an expert witness before, but I tried my best to present her case.

"She is EXACTLY what you want from us!"

I spoke of her achievements, her grades, her progress, her mentorship of others, her empathy, her dedication

She turned to me after I stepped off the stand and said "Thank you, Mister for fighting for me. Its not going to matter"

My heart broke

"They're gonna to see all you've done"

"No, Mister. They won't"

"But..."

"Its ok."

I knew she was right, but I a 20 something idealist wouldn't accept the truth this 14 year old kid didn't even question

The system didn't care about her. Didn't respect her. Didn't care if she rehabilitated or not.

I thought reason might prevail
She knew

As I watched the light go out of her eyes as she was led away something in me broke

I left the courthouse and wandered the street in tears

How could it be THIS hosed?

How was I so powerless to lose a child who should have been a model case?

How could the system be so dense?

I've never been caught off guard by the system and its hatred again.

I wasn't tonight either

But the FEELING is back

What did happen was this

I studied that case. I pored over it. Every bit of evidence, every word of testimony, every trick prosecution used

I squared off with that prosecutor five more times and sent him packing each time.

There is nothing we can do to change the outcome of this election.

Its done.

But we are not.

This is one if those times. Where we must break. To take in the overwheming reality and face it head on with all the pain it brings.

Don't put on a happy mask and pretend it's normal. There's nothing normal here.

Its ok to break.

America needs to sit here an cry it out for a moment because we are face to face with the truth of our country

We can't pretend anymore.

Its time for our illusions to come down.

That we are in a post racial society
That the crowd will do the right thing
That facts matter

We need to come out from behind our comfort zones and bubbles and look at our country without the lenses of exceptionalism

Now we know.

We are not more empathetic than Germany
More savvy than Brexiters
We are not more serious about our democracy

We're just a fallible country full of regular loving humans like everywhere else.

We. Are. Not. Immune.

So don't spend the next few weeks yelling at everyone and passing blame.

Take a deep breath.

When you exhale, realize that we are still in this together. And we have a chance. If we choose to take it, to drop our facades

I am thankful for you. All of you. For your support, for your love, for your passion.

Let this be a day of clarity.

Let today remind you to connect with others. Share in your pain. Marvel and grieve.

Trump's presidency is a result of us not really seeing each other or our country for who we are and what it is.

We can fix that.

We can fix it especially if the elevation of Trump wakes us up to the truth of bigotry.

I see a lot of surprised white people this morning.

Im talking to you now surprised white people.

I wanna bring you in for an empathy moment.

This feeling you have right now. Amazement that the country could be so short-sighted, that it could embrace hate so tightly?

Welcome.

This despair and dread you feel. The indignation, the bewilderment, the hurt, powerlessness, the fear for family and livelihood?

Welcome.

That knot in your stomach, that feeling of heartache? That uncertainty about your safety? The deep sense of fundamental injustice?

Welcome.

For many marginalized people, this spike in distress you feel this morning is what we feel EVERY morning.

That feeling of "How could they possibly...?" is precisely what we feel with every incidence of excused violence, disenfranchisement, denial

I do not say this to diminish what you feel today. What you feel is real and valid.

I'm giving you an opportunity to truly empathize.

For it is the lack of that empathy that allowed America to shrug as the marginalized shouted warnings.

Today the imaginary wall that divides your experience from ours has come down.

You have the chance to commune with the rest of us.

This needs to be a moment where you realize that you are not alone in your pain.

That there are those of us who know it intimately

Let this be the last time you are surprised by the prevalence of virulent hatred in this country.

Let it be a moment that opens your eyes

This is a time that you can move on from the childish insistence that America is #1, grow up and recognize it as gravely ill.

This can be a time for you to stop side-eying those who insist that something is and has always been something deeply wrong.

Skip the hand wringing about how you didn't see this coming and move to the part where you get on board to come down into the trenches

I see people talking about how Trump is #NotMyPresident.

Yes he drat well is.

It's really important that you get this cause its key.

Compartmentalizing this problem solves exactly nothing.

Refusing culpability for America's actions is how we GOT Trump

Trump is an opportunistic infection that America let fester and grow in an immunocompromised environment

America's neglect of its own health comes directly from its stubborn insistence that nothing is as bad as it looks

When we minimized the outrage about rape, about racism, about fascism and ignorance, about marginalization we created a space ripe for Trump

Trump is our President because we and the people who voted for him are still in the same boat as much as we'd like to deny it.

Another country didn't elect Trump. This one did. Your neighbors and relatives and co-workers and friends did.

We are inextricably bound. We cannot wish this half of America away.

But we can sure as hell challenge it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i guess it's true that democrats have no ideas and republicans have bad ideas

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kaleedity posted:

Who voted for Obama in 2012 that also voted for Trump yesterday? Please tell me where these unicorns exist.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

Makes me wonder what's going to happen when the people who voted for Trump because they were tired of being hosed continue to get hosed.

Blame the Lugenpresse probably.

kaleedity posted:

Neither Obama nor Romney was actively and openly pro-racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

If the Democrats try and pin this on Bernie (which I have no idea if they are other than a few salty Hillary fans here) they will and deserve to lose in 2020. The problem is that we are going to pay for it like we are now.

It literally doesn't matter what the post mortem says we're going to control none of the government until 2024 bare minimum.

With the filibuster gone we will literally have nothing. You guys don't seem to grasp the full gravity of how hosed we are. It's over.

• Locked thread