Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

negromancer posted:

I mean, its pretty much on the "good" white people to spend the next 4 years REALLY forcing the issue on the terrible white people they come across, and not just ignoring them or recounting the tales of their awfulness to black people for brownie points.

Yall should have the verbal boot up the rear end of white people 24/7 for the next 4 years. They shouldn't be able to have a polite discussion about poo poo until they explain why they think being hateful bigots is okay and why they believe white nationalism is okay, and until they rescind those beliefs, that will be the only topic of conversation.

Us minorities can't do that for you. They LIE to us in our faces about how they vote, who they voted for, what they believe.

What reality are you living in, right now?

Do you sincerely believe that a plurality of Trump supporters, or American citizens, are WHITE NATIONALISTS? Donald Trump outperformed Romney with Latinos here in Fl my own home state. As a first-generation minority, I can promise you my bisabuelos do not post on Stormfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Except that Obama won. Twice. So it is possible to overcome that core-rot

Yeah problem being we don't have another Obama in the wings at the moment. I would gladly welcome being proven wrong by it literally being Michelle in 2020 though. As excellent an orator as Barack has been, I have to agree with the man, I love hearing her speak.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

So if I'm reading this right, Trump basically got the same support as McCaine/Romney, it was just a massively depressed turnout for Democrats? Did the voter suppression poo poo have an appreciable effect?

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

It did if the voter suppression was called being Hillary Rodham Clinton

just to point out ground zero for voter suppression this year north carolina, statewide democratic candidates are either slightly ahead or within recount range for a bunch of offices, and a longtime republican incumbent supreme court judge lost to a black candidate flipping control over to dems

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

joeburz posted:

Rip planet earth, thx rural white voters

I used to have sympathy for their economic fears, now I just want a supervolcano to appear in Kansas and bury the corn states under 50 meters of ash.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

negromancer posted:

What's most entertaining about this "Hillary ignored the working class whites" is that Trump won white people on every socioeconomic level.

That means it was a ton of racist loving white people that lied openly about supporting Clinton and got in that voting booth and voted to keep the white boot on the neck of everyone else.

I don't think so - turnout was so far down this year that the numbers we see could have come from "Meh, Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich, I guess I'll just stay home." - after telling pollsters "Yea, I guess Hillary is a better choice."

What we're really seeing is that the RNC has incredible structural advantages (Supporters who are used to voting, are retired/can get time off to vote, are not so overworked that they can follow politics, etc) that can only be overcome by a rockstar candidate. Hillary would have been a great president, but she's no rockstar. Obama was a fluke.

Of course, one of those structural advantages is "has a base of racists, outspoken or otherwise, that can be convinced to vote via either dogwhistles or clear racial language."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nurabsal posted:

Do you sincerely believe that a plurality of Trump supporters, or American citizens, are WHITE NATIONALISTS? Donald Trump outperformed Romney with Latinos here in Fl my own home state. As a first-generation minority, I can promise you my bisabuelos do not post on Stormfront.

A majority of Trump supporters are willing to tell a pollster they are racist. So it doesn't seem that far of a stretch when they're supporting the same candidate the white nationalists are calling a savior to the white race.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

nurabsal posted:

Oh those guys? All bigots I know this in my guts.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alright, So a lot of people have been saying "Who could the democrats run in 2020?" and I think I've come up with a few good choices:

Tammy Duckworth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Duckworth#Political_positions

Kate Brown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Brown

Kamala Hariris: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris

Catherine Cortez Masto: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Cortez_Masto

What do you guys think?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

PKJC posted:

Yeah problem being we don't have another Obama in the wings at the moment. I would gladly welcome being proven wrong by it literally being Michelle in 2020 though. As excellent an orator as Barack has been, I have to agree with the man, I love hearing her speak.

Cory Booker is probably the most charismatic guy they have waiting in the wings. His economic policies will piss the left off but let's be real here, Trump didn't win because people loved his actual policies

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oracle posted:

You realize you just took Donald J Trump, serial liar, at his word. The man who changed his mind about WHO TO HAVE FOR VICE PRESIDENT because the last person to talk to him said no, choose Pence and he was like 'fine, whatever.'

Let me have some hope about one of the weird little side issues he likes to repeat himself on, okay? That's as close as he will ever come to having an opinion beyond Trump Is The Best.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

Cory Booker is probably the most charismatic guy they have waiting in the wings. His economic policies will piss the left off but let's be real here, Trump didn't win because people loved his actual policies

Doesn't he have some lovely scandal following him?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Drunkboxer posted:

Doesn't he have some lovely scandal following him?

He's pro charter schools. Among other things.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nurabsal posted:

You just got here.

Maybe you should study American History and race relations before you try talking this nonsense.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how Trump won white women by 10 points. We can talk about minority turnout or whatever, but those have reasonable answers that don't excuse the fact that white women up and down the socioeconomic ladder voted for a rapist, and the only, ONLY thing more important than womanhood to white women is whiteness.

Ask any WoC feminist that's had to deal with white feminists.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm worried about Pence. He has the power to undo all the LGBT and women's rights advances made in the past few years, and nothing can stop him from it. I'm scared that we'll go back to the 80s and hate crimes will rise. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I really hope that Trump gets the right people stroking his ego and getting him to do non-terrible things. He said some stuff that was liberal (like not caring about trans people using the bathroom) during the primaries so maybe the last few months has been him huffing and puffing for his base. Apparently he doesn't listen to Pence, so all might not be lost.

Maybe if the right people get his ear he can do the big things that prissy liberals could never do like rebuild the national infrastructure, dismantle corrupt election systems by instating automatic voter registration and election day being a holiday to make sure that liberals can never rig another election, and make sure that a bi-partisan coalition sets congressional boundaries so that the nasty liberals with never gerrymander again.

None of this is realistic. :smith:

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Trabisnikof posted:

A majority of Trump supporters are willing to tell a pollster they are racist. So it doesn't seem that far of a stretch when they're supporting the same candidate the white nationalists are calling a savior to the white race.

I can accept that Racism was a factor in this race, as it certainly was in 2008 when our first African-American President lost every mid-western and east coast swing state that Hillary lost this year.

Give me a break, dude. Obviously dogwhistles and race and gender play a role, but crying "white nationalism" is not constructive.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Just loving disband and put all the party's money behind Kshama Sawant, shoot a few people as an example at the DNC if the gnashing of oligarch teeth becomes too loud.

quote:

Cory Booker
Castro is about the only vaguely populist dem who hasn't been mentioned yet. Booker would get eaten alive with his economic policies and would lose the union vote again. This is basically the Walker recall all over again where the dems pushed again for a milquetoast neoliberal.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

nurabsal posted:

So, are you at odds with the contention from an earlier post by a Latino that racism isn't something that exists within certain Latino populations and, if it somehow does, it's not something that'd sway their vote?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

I think Cory Booker is a bad idea. The Democrats really need to try getting back to appealing to workers instead of financially connected guys.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Alright, So a lot of people have been saying "Who could the democrats run in 2020?" and I think I've come up with a few good choices:

Tammy Duckworth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Duckworth#Political_positions

What do you guys think?

My money is on Duckworth running.

e: I swear I'm not making a pun!

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
Bernie Sanders is unelectable, says the campaign that lost against a reality tv cheeto with a hairpiece.

Blame racism or bigotry if you want, but the democratic party lost this by pushing the only candidate that could have possibly lost against Trump.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's impossible. The majority of Seats up in 2018 are Democrats who won by riding Obama's coat tails. Republicans will gain Senate sets in 2018
Yeah. I know we now live in topsy-turvey world, where up is down, polls are wrong, and Donald Trump bends reality to his will, but if anyone can construct a narrative where the Dems pick up three seats from this map, please share it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Why are you guys making GBS threads on Warren's statement? It's absolutely the correct thing to say and on the chance that he wants to pursue some good policies like, say, non-wall infrastructure spending, she should be willing to work with him.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Agnosticnixie posted:

Just loving disband and put all the party's money behind Kshama Sawant, shoot a few people as an example at the DNC if the gnashing of oligarch teeth becomes too loud.

Castro is about the only vaguely populist dem who hasn't been mentioned yet. Booker would get eaten alive with his economic policies and would lose the union vote again. This is basically the Walker recall all over again where the dems pushed again for a milquetoast neoliberal.

The only rational solution is to roll out the tanks. Unfortunately we are a little short on tanks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

nurabsal posted:

I don't know how many times this thread can explain to people that you don't need to wear a swastika armband or white hood and spend your Saturday nights at cross burnings to support a white supremacist.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I do find it extremely interesting that years and years of efforts to make racism not okay resulted in a situation where open racism wasn't okay, but rather than stop being racist people just started to feel like they were being prevented from expressing themselves by powerful forces beyond their control. It makes me wonder what can possibly be done to address racism.

The right-wing media grooms its supporters and has been doing it since Gingrich's years, to create a right-leaning identity that makes these people believe that problems aren't all that complicated. This gives such people more of a feeling of agency and understanding. Terrorism can be fought if we just say the word "Muslim" and target certain people. The economy can be fixed by cutting taxes to give people more money to spend. Crime can be fixed if we go out and buy more guns. Simple problems, simple solutions, and anyone who tries to make it more complicated by talking about underlying issues of culture, economics, or other factors is just waffling or being politically correct or something. I have a neighbor who genuinely believes he is personally more capable of defeating ISIL than the president or his generals, despite getting discharged from the army for drunkenly crashing two Humvees in 2004.

Everyone made a stink about certain things Jon Stewart said on his infamous Crossfire appearance, but one of the most telling parts of that episode was when the hosts and audience kept bringing up the idea of "Why can't politicians give us straight answers?" It was fairly obvious it was meant to be a circle-jerky moment that groomed the viewer by making them feel smart and superior to anyone in public office (courtesy of your dutiful hosts at Crossfire). There was even this cringey moment when an audience member got up and asked the question several times. And my thinking is "because we don't know what a straight answer is." If a politician goes on describing the underlying problems of a major issue, and parts of that issue that we can focus on to come to a resolution, he will be shouted down by a television host or audience member for not "giving a straight answer." And when we shut those out, we get President Trump stealing the show by saying we gotta kill civilians related to terrorists, build a big wall, and cut taxes in a way that will most likely add around 6 trillion dollars to the national debt.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

So, are you at odds with the contention from an earlier post by a Latino that racism isn't something that exists within certain Latino populations and, if it somehow does, it's not something that'd sway their vote?

Nah, I can agree with that point. The best example being Cuban-Americans who perceive themselves as White Hispanics. Its fair.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pollyanna posted:

I'm worried about Pence. He has the power to undo all the LGBT and women's rights advances made in the past few years, and nothing can stop him from it. I'm scared that we'll go back to the 80s and hate crimes will rise. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Depending on SC outcomes it'll be farther back than the '80s.

Note: LGBT people? If you can, move. You're likely the only minority group who might escape the worst of it in Canada. If you're also black you're still probably hosed but yeah, if you can, move to Canada.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Apraxin posted:

Yeah. I know we now live in topsy-turvey world, where up is down, polls are wrong, and Donald Trump bends reality to his will, but if anyone can construct a narrative where the Dems pick up three seats from this map, please share it:

Nevada, Arizona, Texas... assuming Trump is terrible enough to scare people shitless about voting red again.

Otherwise we're right hosed until 2020 at least.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Harry Joe posted:

Bernie Sanders is unelectable, says the campaign that lost against a reality tv cheeto with a hairpiece.

Blame racism or bigotry if you want, but the democratic party lost this by pushing the only candidate that could have possibly lost against Trump.

i'm sure chafee or o'malley would've found a way to lose just as easily

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nurabsal posted:

I can accept that Racism was a factor in this race, as it certainly was in 2008 when our first African-American President lost every mid-western and east coast swing state that Hillary lost this year.

Give me a break, dude. Obviously dogwhistles and race and gender play a role, but crying "white nationalism" is not constructive.

Why not exactly? We have the Klan rallying already, the Trump effect is widely documented in schools and now the federal government, the last vestige of protection against voting discrimination and racial discrimination by law enforcement left in red states, now they're in the pocket of the "put the white in the White House" people?

White Nationalism is now again part of the national political climate and gently caress yes we should be ashamed it is true, but we can't defeat it if we deny it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/jtemple/status/796450691661185024

:smithicide:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

nurabsal posted:

Nah, I can agree with that point. The best example being Cuban-Americans who perceive themselves as White Hispanics. Its fair.

The weird assumption that the demographic change to minority majority will change anything in and of itself is a bit strange. I am pretty sure it will just slightly change the power dynamics and tribalism a bit.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Yeah, Duckworth is my top pic too. I think she could get people excited in the same way that Obama did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbWVUXNF9c

If she could get Bernie Sanders (or someone as equally socialist) as a running mate she might be a shoe in.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

e: I swear I'm not making a pun!

I'll be watching her with interest.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Why are you guys making GBS threads on Warren's statement? It's absolutely the correct thing to say and on the chance that he wants to pursue some good policies like, say, non-wall infrastructure spending, she should be willing to work with him.

This, worry if it turns out she's serious and not saying the politically expedient thing in the wake of election results that came as a surprise to so many, including those in the winning campaign.

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

The Shortest Path posted:

Who voted for Obama in 2012 that also voted for Trump yesterday? Please tell me where these unicorns exist.

This thread moves too fast. I'm right here from Michigan.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What do you guys think?

Tulsa?????

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
Please let Ammon Bundy be interior secretary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dreylad posted:

I can see Trump being an incredibly lazy and pretty corrupt president who doesn't do much. unfortunately the republicans also control everything else.

Yeah this wouldn't have been so bad if he was in Reagan's situation having do deal with Tip O'Neal.

• Locked thread