Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
TonOWNS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This shouldn't have even been possible.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm not surprised, motherfuckers

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I didn't watch did tonon win the whole thing yet? Any particularly cool matches I should check out?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

the weed backpacks are pretty good tho

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gay Horney posted:

I didn't watch did tonon win the whole thing yet? Any particularly cool matches I should check out?

I just watched all of tonen's matches and he is just loving ridiculous. He won via overtime vs Vinny.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Too tired to watch it all last night so caught up to the last few matches today.

Tonon is an absolute monster. Really great EBI this time as have been the others.

I gotta get my rear end back to class and train one of these days. My 1 month off (due to injury) has now turn to like 2 1/2.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Fell asleep during the quarterfinals and caught the rest today. Really enjoyed any matches with Tonon, Vinny, or APE but some of the other less so. But its light heavies so that was kinda expected I guess.

Was really impressed to see Garry win it despite giving up so much weight, he really rises to the occasion.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What? You didn't like watching the 10 minute tiebreaker inning?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Lmaooooo 'Vinnie lookin a little nervous. He has put on a lot of weight. Lot of water weight, but also fat'

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That tournament has motivated me to go drill armbar escapes a billion times. Well probably more like a couple times and then :effort: but goddamn Garry's escapes are good

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Gif of the spinning toehold escape: http://imgur.com/JTJ2SbH

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That owned

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Any opinions on Midtown MMA in Houston? Asking for a complete beginner friend. Also any alternatives?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I liked the hand to foot high 5.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

Too tired to watch it all last night so caught up to the last few matches today.

Tonon is an absolute monster. Really great EBI this time as have been the others.

I gotta get my rear end back to class and train one of these days. My 1 month off (due to injury) has now turn to like 2 1/2.

I miss you dude.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Question for you advanced BJJ guys

I've started playing with a few spider guard positions in the last month or two - double bicep control or bicep/hip, mostly using it to set up arm drags and sweeps, though I'm also scooping ankle locks off of it. I'm having great success with it on the ground at judo, even when totally outsized, and this week, because I'm training for a tournament this weekend, I went to a BJJ gi class (I usually only do BJJ no gi because gi conflicts with judo) and had just as much success with it there, too. In this time it has basically become my favourite bottom position, though I'm not sure how much of that is because the people who I've tried it on tend to react like "what the poo poo is this?"

So the first thing I'm wondering is "I find spider guard interesting" one of these things that lower belt people say that makes upper belts roll their eyes, like the blue belt who wants to master the berimbolo instead of spending time refining more basic positions?

Second, I'm starting to look up more info on how people really play spider guard. I'm getting the impression that it might be a pretty good bottom game for smaller guys like me, as it provides a nice way of keeping all of my limbs in play and making up for any significant strength deficit, and it can help to prevent me from ending up squashed under a big guy, but at the same time it doesn't require the gumby hips that are needed for other kinds of bottom guard play. Is this accurate?

Last, do you have any "so you're interested in learning about spider guard" suggestions for me?

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

CommonShore posted:

spider guard

We encourage all our white belts to start playing open guards early so they can get used to staying active and keeping the hips loose. My instructor plays a ton of spider, which probably helps as well. He uses classical double arm/ lasso controls fairly rarely though, a lot of his game is using those controls to establish De La Riva hooks in combination with the spider hooks, and flowing in and out of control grips. This is especially true vs stand up passing.

The crux of all open guards is flow and reaction, this applies doubly to spider guard since once your uke's start to understand what you're doing to them it will be come extremely important to keep them constantly off balance or else they can set up to pass. Spider guard is usually considered one of those highly technical bottom games that light weights excel at. 10-15 years ago guys like Royler, Robson, and Draculino were pioneering the spider guard sort of the way guys are pioneering honey hole attacks and de la riva inversions now. Much the same way, that doesn't mean it's limited to smaller weights though. Romulo Barral is a student of Dracs and would be worth looking into as a high level example of spider. For tips beyond that... learn to tape your fingers. Years of Judo and spider grips have hosed my instructors fingers up pretty good.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

CommonShore posted:

Last, do you have any "so you're interested in learning about spider guard" suggestions for me?

If you like to learn jiu jitsu on your phone Stephan Kesting and Elliott Bayev did a ridiculously thorough five part spider guard series a year or two back, including some dlr and reverse dlr and related stuff.

Gloria De La Riva 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Decades posted:

If you like to learn jiu jitsu on your phone Stephan Kesting and Elliott Bayev did a ridiculously thorough five part spider guard series a year or two back, including some dlr and reverse dlr and related stuff.

Gloria De La Riva 2016

Radddddd. I've liked the few DLR techniques I've learned, too. Those limb-entanglement approaches to grappling tend to feel good to me. I had already found a couple Kesting vids (when I'm looking for BJJ youtube reference he's my first go-to as he makes good videos) but I hadn't yet figured out how comprehensive it is.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah it's total information overload and the first two installments will probably keep you busy for a year. Bayev is detail oriented arguably to a fault.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Radddddd. I've liked the few DLR techniques I've learned, too. Those limb-entanglement approaches to grappling tend to feel good to me. I had already found a couple Kesting vids (when I'm looking for BJJ youtube reference he's my first go-to as he makes good videos) but I hadn't yet figured out how comprehensive it is.

Leandro Lo has some good DLR/Spider Guard play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Yaos8lbQI

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a future in learning bottom turtle as an attack position vs learning it as a back to guard position? I've been working on thread the needle/transitions to knees from different positions recently, and it seems to work well. I go to turtle, they try to seat belt me or something and I hit a peek through to take back, or lay back to a sometime butterfly/open/closed guard or sometimes top guy backs off and we get neutral.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I wish I was invincible from under side-control so much so that if i presented it for free to black-belts they would shy away from me.

Can't remember his name right now but I thought it was cool as gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pooned posted:

I wish I was invincible from under side-control so much so that if i presented it for free to black-belts they would shy away from me.

Can't remember his name right now but I thought it was cool as gently caress.

Werdum has offered side control to multiple fighters in the cage.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Grappling Industries posted:

Blue Belts & Purple Belts
Grappling Industries will now allow toe-holds and knee bars from blue belt and intermediate No-Gi competitions.

Brown Belt & Black Belts
Reaping the knee will be legalised, heel hooks, twisters, and scissor takedowns will all be legal for these belts and above.

booya

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After action report from my tournament.

Gi - win loss loss in a division of 6. Got a ball-crushing triangle in a scramble, gave up an arm bar in the second fight, and then in the third a guy dropped heel on my nose really hard and stunned me while he was going for spiderweb so I tapped because I thought I had a broken nose at first. I iced it and I was fine but I'll have a shiner. People kept coming up to me for the rest of the day saying that they had seen me take the shot to the head.

No gi - win loss loss in a division of 6 (but not all the same guys). After the gi division I was feeling a bit messed up and so I decided to just go and treat no gi like a light roll and have fun. In my first fight I flipped a guy while he was going for a double, took s-mount, and triangle-armbarred him. In my second bout I was getting owned on the scorecards, and my opponent somehow snapped me down and smashed the back of my head on the mat while going for an armbar. Again, I tapped before it was extended. Third fight I got progressively, though not egregiously, outpointed by the guy who I triangled in gi, but I couldn't pass his closed guard because he was better at breaking my posture than I was at recovering it. With 30 seconds left and no real textbook path to victory, I handed him a kimura, figuring that I could roll forward to escape and if things went well I could turn around and go for an anaconda choke or something like that. I tapped to the kimura :v:

I was kinda seeing spots on the drive home for a bit, after taking the shot to the back of my head. I don't think I'm going to do a tournament without a masters division again - I just feel too banged up after scrapping with all of these guys who are basically (and in one case literally) half my age. I didn't hit my goal of getting a medal, but my team did really well considering that we're a small-town satellite gym. (the best guys who train with us occasionally are Joe Doerksen, who comes about once every month, and a c-league Canadian MMA journeyman and current champ who does his fight camps at AKA, meaning I've been Oliveria-style calf slicered by a guy who sometimes trains with Khabib)

Also question - is it annoying when I post about my lovely bush league tournaments? I know I like reading about others', but like :shrug:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Also question - is it annoying when I post about my lovely bush league tournaments?

Nah, I like reading 'em.

Sucks about the head shot but at least you got some subs. Also beasted through a lot of matches, I'm always gassed by my third.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

CommonShore posted:

Also question - is it annoying when I post about my lovely bush league tournaments? I know I like reading about others', but like :shrug:

I'm always interested in reading tourney write-ups

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

CommonShore posted:

a c-league Canadian MMA journeyman

Eric from outlaw?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yes to tourney write ups

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

Eric from outlaw?

Curtis Demarce

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Judo Tournament this weekend!

I'm heading out as a coach so our black belts can referee. Sending 4, maybe 5 athletes: our 6-foot 140 pound 16 year old green belt, a highly athletic 170 pound military yellow belt (who I would have promoted already but it's not my call), a viking-like heavyweight yellow belt (again, probably should be promoted), and a freshly-minted yellow belt, also military, probably in the 180 pound range, going to his very first tournament. All four of these guys love their big throws.

Should be fun!

Our "maybe" is a freshly-minted 11 year old female yellow belt who right now seems to have a very high ceiling in judo.

(side note - in my region a yellow belt is the minimum rank necessary for tournament participation, so we sometimes promote people because they want to fight and we feel that they can participate safely. In my mind the yellow belt has become a tournament license. I like when ranks and promotions have specific meanings beyond a vague sense of "is better than...".)

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sprecherscrow posted:

I miss you dude.

I actually went back last night for the first time! And you weren't there.

Yea, finally got to my first class in over 2 1/2 months. Was awesome to be back.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Local Judo Tournament debriefing!

Our youth green belt had a tough time out. The people who he fought at the last tournament made some adjustments and were able to beat him. He was pretty crestfallen but so it goes. His fights were all extremely exciting and aggressive, even in loss, and he seemed a bit mollified when I told him that I'd rather see him lose in an aggressive well-fought match than see him pick up a yuko lead and kill the clock for a win.

Our three yellow belts had a good time. One of them weighed in at 1 kg into the bottom of a weight class - after drinking 2 litres of water, having a large breakfast, and apparently a comically large supper the night before (so the classes are 73kg and 81kg, and he weighed in at 74kg). The weight class didn't matter, because he took gold and manhandled everyone in his division, including nailing a huge Ushiro Goshi in which he lifted a green belt above his head:

This is a ushiro goshi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_2mR7mGG10

Sadly, he didn't get credited with an ippon for it because of a refereeing snafu - the ref thought she had seen an illegal bear hug grip and called mate, but the other judges disagreed about the legality and forced her to award an ippon, but because the mate was called before the throw was completed, the opposing coach argued (rightfully, imo) that the ippon shouldn't stand. It didn't matter, because my guy just smashed him in 20 more seconds for a waza-ari plus a pin. I don't really blame the ref, either, because I asked four people for clarification on the bear hug grip rule afterwards, and I got four different answers. poo poo happens sometimes.

Yellow belt #2 (who was promoted on Wednesday) was in the same -81kg division, and he ended up getting bronze after beating an orange belt, losing to his team mate, and then losing to the green belt who ultimately got silver, all in good bouts.

Yellow belt #3 was 100kg+, having weighed in at about 105kg. He fought a 135kg brown belt, and he could have won, but my guy still isn't cognizant enough of what his opponent is doing with grips, and ended up giving up a throw that I know he could have avoided. The brown belt was so... heavy, that he was seriously winded after a 60 second bout. He ended up with silver, having beaten an older, recreational judoka in his second match.

One gold, one silver, one bronze, one fourth place. There was some fun judo for us to watch, too, once it was over. Some of these 16-17 year olds are crazy. I thought I saw a girl from a neighbouring club dislocate her shoulder in some kind of smashing entanglement, but when I asked her about it she hadn't even noticed.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Between judo names and the metric system that was a heavy cognitive load for this early in the AM. :haw: Seriously though, congratulations on what sounds like an awesome outing! Totally agree that I'd rather see someone lose going for it then win by stalling (at lower levels at least) and lmao at the dude feasting and getting bumped up to the next division.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Garry Tonon has the best Facebook and if you're not following it/friends with him I don't what to tell you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I figure he needs his own wikipedia page soon.

Also does anyone know if he's got any interest in MMA? It seems like he's running out of options grappling.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I figure he needs his own wikipedia page soon.

Also does anyone know if he's got any interest in MMA? It seems like he's running out of options grappling.

Yeah, he has plans for MMA based on what he's said in interviews etc. I imagine its next to impossible trying to find an ammy opponent for him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Garry's been participating in team MMA practices for ages and has eventual plans of fighting at 155, but I don't know what his current timeline for that is.