Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Super Slash posted:

If we can grow so much food why do we still have world hunger?

Because I eat when I'm stressed and I'm always stressed? :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

:( Here's some unexpected behaviour in your software.
:phone: Thanks for the report. Looks like it's a bug.
:( Happy to help.
:phone: We will now reduce functionality to fix the bug.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Tonight the full team is on call thanks to the election. We have at least five clients running live election coverage tonight so here's hoping it's quiet and I can enjoy my $1 beer at World Of Beer :patriot:

Or someone's Elemental transcoder will poo poo the bed :smith:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

pr0digal posted:

Tonight the full team is on call thanks to the election. We have at least five clients running live election coverage tonight so here's hoping it's quiet and I can enjoy my $1 beer at World Of Beer :patriot:

Or someone's Elemental transcoder will poo poo the bed :smith:

Not IT related, but a friend of mine works at the local crisis center in their support call center and they asked people to work extra shifts today because of the elections.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Today's election day and since I found a new job a few weeks ago, I don't have to work 7AM to 9 or 10 PM supporting a polling place. Instead, I just need to work til 5, go to the liquor store, probably wait 15 minutes in line to just get the one thing I forgot last night, and then go dark until I can't avoid hearing the results.

On the other hand, I'm probably going to be getting up at 6 AM to get ready to work with a killer hangover, so there are some downsides.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh hey. Didn't larches old station do a big thing for election day that was his big pride and joy?

Wonder what they'll have instead.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh hey. Didn't larches old station do a big thing for election day that was his big pride and joy?

For the primaries, yeah.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah, I think it was something with Excel? I was just thinking I'd love to see how bad a shitshow that station airs today.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
He never did tell what station it is did he?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Trastion posted:

He never did tell what station it is did he?

Nah, if you wanted to be an internet detective, it's possible to figure out, but that's not really worth doing.

I assume it's about as bad as every other tiny news station.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
We support three TV stations (video team, not live thank god). I can only image what issues are going to crop up tonight as most of them have rather outdated equipment.

We had another client (also doing election coverage) who wanted to do a SAN upgrade last night. We managed to convince them that doing a massive SAN upgrade the night before election day was a Bad Idea.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Today's election day and since I found a new job a few weeks ago, I don't have to work 7AM to 9 or 10 PM supporting a polling place. Instead, I just need to work til 5, go to the liquor store, probably wait 15 minutes in line to just get the one thing I forgot last night, and then go dark until I can't avoid hearing the results.

Just quoting this cause this is very me, also.

The Excel through Sharepoint system I set up was mostly meant for local elections. I'm not sure what they're going to be doing tonight. I never worked there during a big presidential election.

I just texted the IT guy:

:v: Y'all still using OneDrive for election coverage?
:downs: I'm not sure. No ones said anything to me about it.
:v: You mean you haven't been anticipating, planning, and testing for election night?
:downs: No one told me anything.
:v: Oh, how fun for you tonight.

Jesus, how much things have changed for me. I just submitted a proposal for how to replace every piece of classroom technology we own using grant money and the station still doesn't have wifi or an election coverage system that wasn't developed by a disgruntled, underpaid employee at the last minute because it was free.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
No new CE stories?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I see him outside smoking sometimes when I drive through on my way to or from work, but not really. Apparently, after I quit, he just got really withdrawn and started spending money like crazy on new stuff because there wasn't anyone to maintain his house of cards.

The whole place is circling the drain, though, from what I hear.

Morek
Nov 23, 2006

Sefal posted:

I'm glad to hear that. I was legit pondering if I should have just kept my mouth shut.

This is unfortunately more of a political question than a right v wrong deal.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I see him outside smoking sometimes when I drive through on my way to or from work, but not really. Apparently, after I quit, he just got really withdrawn and started spending money like crazy on new stuff because there wasn't anyone to maintain his house of cards.

Wasn't that the case before you even started there? Not when you quit, but literally before you even came along.

I'm getting told we're migrating our DB from a shared DB server without enough resources (148GB on SQL 2014 standard install for one) to.....a new server with explicitly not enough resources (32GB sql server) for the apps I manage. How does "not enough" turn into "let's give you less but dedicated! that should work! :science:!"

:negative:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

Much like the United States of America.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Much like the United States of America.

Nah man. The show has just begun.

I should get some popcorn.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Office notifies me of a printer with a paper jam. I remote in, login to printer's interface, still says there's a jam. Discuss with office manager, they've all taken a turn searching for this paper jam but can't find it. Finally I decide they'll need a tech to visit, and get the serial number to look up its warranty status.

Expired yesterday.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Larches, I had a dream last night that I took a job doing IT Admin for a school. I sat down at my desk and realized I had no idea what I was supposed to do.
What are my responsibilities? Am I supposed to order stuff? Where are the vendor numbers?!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

Larches, I had a dream last night that I took a job doing IT Admin for a school. I sat down at my desk and realized I had no idea what I was supposed to do.
What are my responsibilities? Am I supposed to order stuff? Where are the vendor numbers?!

This is me every morning for the past eleven months

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
We just released a new version of our software, so everyone is doing upgrades!

Since we still use flat file databases in TYOOL 2016, there's tons of utilities to do simple poo poo (like... indexing) that have to be run with all users logged out. The hot new feature for this version was supposed to be a service that would run on the "database server" (read: file server holding dbase files) and do a bunch of the maintenance work overnight with no user input. Except our devs couldn't get it working, so they ripped that function out and went back to the old system - but oops, in making the utilities work with the service, they broke the ability to run them manually. That's on top of all the other broken new features that no one asked for and that break functions people really do use.

The release was two weeks ago, and we already have 3 hotfixes. Our hosted customers are all getting upgraded this weekend. Hopefully I will be dead of alcohol poisoning by Monday.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Hopefully I will be dead of alcohol poisoning by Monday.

I tried that last Friday.
Don't gently caress up because it sucks if you don't die. Then you spend the entire weekend wanting to drink but heaving anytime you smell alcohol.
And you'll go back to work on Monday wishing you had just died, but instead struggling to get through the rest of the week so you can try again next Friday.

I had a head start because I played hookie last Friday. This Friday is a holiday so it's going to be a similar situation, but at least I've had practice and I know not to make the same mistakes twice.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

We just released a new version of our software, so everyone is doing upgrades!

Since we still use flat file databases in TYOOL 2016, there's tons of utilities to do simple poo poo (like... indexing) that have to be run with all users logged out. The hot new feature for this version was supposed to be a service that would run on the "database server" (read: file server holding dbase files) and do a bunch of the maintenance work overnight with no user input. Except our devs couldn't get it working, so they ripped that function out and went back to the old system - but oops, in making the utilities work with the service, they broke the ability to run them manually. That's on top of all the other broken new features that no one asked for and that break functions people really do use.

The release was two weeks ago, and we already have 3 hotfixes. Our hosted customers are all getting upgraded this weekend. Hopefully I will be dead of alcohol poisoning by Monday.

Henry Schein employee spotted.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A request to update pictures of all students in our database with their school ID pictures came in. We're located on a college campus so we use a lot of their facilities and IDs are handled by campus security.

Spoke with the campus IT department and they said to speak with security. Spoke with security and they said to speak with IT. Long story short, the police chief just pointed me to his computer and said "have fun." :wtc:

Anyways, ended up finding the pictures I needed and sent them to myself. I assumed it would take me the better part of the day to match pictures with students and upload them into the database one at a time so I blocked off the whole afternoon.

Except, the pictures were labeled by their ID numbers. Exported a list of students with their ID numbers, appended .jpg to the numbers, and then imported them into the database. Took all of 15 minutes.

Then I had the whole afternoon worry free to catch up on stuff. It was nice.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

A request to update pictures of all students in our database with their school ID pictures came in. We're located on a college campus so we use a lot of their facilities and IDs are handled by campus security.

Spoke with the campus IT department and they said to speak with security. Spoke with security and they said to speak with IT. Long story short, the police chief just pointed me to his computer and said "have fun." :wtc:

Anyways, ended up finding the pictures I needed and sent them to myself. I assumed it would take me the better part of the day to match pictures with students and upload them into the database one at a time so I blocked off the whole afternoon.

Except, the pictures were labeled by their ID numbers. Exported a list of students with their ID numbers, appended .jpg to the numbers, and then imported them into the database. Took all of 15 minutes.

Then I had the whole afternoon worry free to catch up on stuff. It was nice.

Holy poo poo. If anyone deserves an easy win, it's you.
You should take a second day and claim "they just grow up so fast. This is hard."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

This is me every morning for the past eleven months

me, every moment of my adult life

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

Henry Schein employee spotted.
gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

On Nov 10, 2016 @ 12:34 pm, Chris Smith wrote:
[Description:]:
Could I have Visio installed, and borrow John's license for the afternoon?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

nexxai posted:

gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix. gently caress Dentrix.

Amen. I hate dealing with this piece of poo poo program

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ConfusedUs posted:

Amen. I hate dealing with this piece of poo poo program

Did you guys have to deal with it on SCO UNIX back 20 years ago? :argh:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Well, at least they're aware of licenes. That's progress, maybe.

My place has decided to move towards only providing Visio and Project through our poorly-managed Citirix environment because of cases like this. Our Citrix setup doesn't allow access to the host PC's drive because of security concerns. So that'll be fun, since half our users don't understand network drives.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bob Morales posted:

Grab him by the chair and wheel him over to John's desk for the afternoon.
Tell John to take the rest of the day off.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A user can't figure out how to convert an ajax example to a curl command. Cmon bruh why are you using my API if you aint able to P?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"We need this software to convert pdf'a from the bank to excel"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Excel is pretty good about intelligently pasting from a table.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

Excel is pretty good about intelligently pasting from a table.

It's a fancy statement from the bank in a bunch of columns and poo poo. They need to just export the data from the banks website

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

It's a fancy statement from the bank in a bunch of columns and poo poo. They need to just export the data from the banks website

IDEA is actually pretty sweet if they're going to be doing a bunch of stuff like that, but holy poo poo is it expensive for just a single license.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bob Morales posted:

As dumb as this sounds it's actually a thing.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/how-to/pdf-to-excel-xlsx-converter.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

In my experience, this never works well.

Not because there is anything wrong with the converter, but because of the amazingly bad tables that users create for their documents.

Its only when you try to extract from them that you find all the hidden, 1pixel-wide cells and odd merged rows & columns

• Locked thread