Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol @ the idea that everyone is "hosed"

ahhhh can you imagine living life like 99% of humans that have ever existed? truly a life not worth living

white people are the worst, please don't brainwash your nephew into committing suicide

When in human history have hundreds of millions or perhaps a billion people suddenly had to migrate just to survive? When have resources, including water, suddenly become greatly restricted for much of the world?

Climate change will kill at least hundreds of millions of people in the coming decades, without even considering antibiotics resistance, resource scarcity and anything else that we are unprepared to face. This would have happened without Trump, but his election will accelerate and worsen the deteriorating conditions that we will face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We really are hosed.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Placid Marmot posted:

Climate change will kill at least hundreds of millions of people in the coming decades, without even considering antibiotics resistance, resource scarcity and anything else that we are unprepared to face. This would have happened without Trump, but his election will accelerate and worsen the deteriorating conditions that we will face.

Yeah I guess I just came to terms with that a long time ago. At this point we're just waiting for the apocalypse to hit.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CommieGIR posted:

We really are hosed.

Alarmism is now warranted.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Placid Marmot posted:

When in human history have hundreds of millions or perhaps a billion people suddenly had to migrate just to survive? When have resources, including water, suddenly become greatly restricted for much of the world?

i dont think it will make that much of a difference

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Living up to his promise to appoint the worst possible people to each position, like our angry white overlords demand. That's "greatness," apparently.

I hate everyone and everything.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mozi posted:

And yes there is hope that people go for crazy geo-engineering, it's almost guaranteed I think. Which isn't to say it's a good idea in the slightest.

Atleast we have time for science to figure out something less hosed than the current options.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Elon Musk's martian colony project does not count :unsmigghh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

Atleast we have time for science to figure out something less hosed than the current options.

Yeah except...well I have some news about science funding...are you sitting down?

It is hosed in the US.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Uranium Phoenix posted:

The same thing we needed to do if Hillary was elected. Build a coalition mass movement, win local elections, and pressure elected officials to act. The difference is Hillary would have given more lip service to the threat of climate change and probably would have done a bit more to support small (effectively meaningless) changes in energy policy, but remember she would also have been hamstrung by a congressional blockade. Under Trump, the US energy policy will be more of the status quo. Oil and gas production will increase, but production was already expanding before this election.

There's going to be a lot of people who are going to resist Trump and the Republicans on a lot of things, and are going to realize they have to get out, protest, and build an alternative. It might be local third parties, it might be based first in anti-racism, or labor, or anti-sexism. Find those people and work with them.

Yeah, it's pretty much all of this. It's time for widespread movements in pretty much every direction there is, and this is just one of them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If Trump withdraws from the Paris treaty there is no amount of organization or movement-tizing that will make up for that. Period.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My understanding of policy is that it is one of the greatest reasons we have been pushing natural gas over coal for grid generation.

Is that the right read, or an I missing something?

Also what's the over / under on a Trump Power utilities brand? I'm giving....1 chance in 5 despite flagrant conflict of interest issues.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 9, 2016

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Welp.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-picks-top-climate-skeptic-to-lead-epa-transition/

Just realized this is old news, hadn't seen this before. This is terrifying as hell though.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mr.Citrus posted:

Welp.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-picks-top-climate-skeptic-to-lead-epa-transition/

Just realized this is old news, hadn't seen this before. This is terrifying as hell though.

Science is dead. Belief is the new hotness. Hope you can pray those temperatures down.

:smith:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The temperature of the great lakes is actually increasing in November.

Its gonna snow a lot.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

squirrelzipper posted:

Science is dead. Belief is the new hotness. Hope you can pray those temperatures down.

:smith:

Post factual society, just like the Republicans demanded.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Uncle Jam posted:

The temperature of the great lakes is actually increasing in November.

Its gonna snow a lot.

Remember, more snow means it's secretly cooling.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What's the science behind a warm lake equal more snow? I don't understand that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I assume higher temperature means more evaporation of the water and it's still cold enough that it snows instead of rains.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Potato Salad posted:

Alarmism is now warranted.

fianlly

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Hollismason posted:

http://scijinks.jpl.nasa.gov/lake-snow/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Like Israel hunted down Nazi's well after the war, any chance of some climate change justice squad to go around and disappear all the worst politicians and business people and marketers and think tank staff that willfully caused the greatest harm? These people need to be brought up on crimes against humanity charges, or just straight up disappeared. Even after it's far too late to save the earth, a little justice before we go out.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Like Israel hunted down Nazi's well after the war, any chance of some climate change justice squad to go around and disappear all the worst politicians and business people and marketers and think tank staff that willfully caused the greatest harm? These people need to be brought up on crimes against humanity charges, or just straight up disappeared. Even after it's far too late to save the earth, a little justice before we go out.

Some sort of...Earth...Liberation...Front maybe?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

People are too busy bickering on the internet and playing with their toys to start killing the rich and powerful en-masse, we've been over this before.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rime posted:

People are too busy bickering on the internet and playing with their toys to start killing the rich and powerful en-masse, we've been over this before.

Until the social order completely breaks down, don't expect any large scale revolt. We're just to comfortable to do so.

With Trump in the White House, full chaos shouldn't take too long to come, albeit mostly thanks to all their "brave militiamen" he'll support.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

No, because your analogy is all kinds of wrong.

This would be like if Jewish commandoes were assassinating Nazi field commanders on the Eastern Front. Mopping up a few random villains after the war is won is not the phase we're in, and taking out a few bad actors would just make the government COINTELPRO the entire climate change community.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
This is an odd tangent.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Mozi posted:

This is an odd tangent.

Personally I find it amusing that whenever climate change comes up in the topic of federal politics the best most poster can do is contemplate suicide. Like how many more years are you going to pray for things to change? DC is not going to save you

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mozi posted:

This is an odd tangent.

No it's not. The Earth Liberation Front came out of the same sense of frustration. It just doesn't work. Terrorism, like peaceful nonviolence, needs a strong supporting community to shield and supply it. There is no such thing for people trying radical responses to protecting the climate/environment.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah except...well I have some news about science funding...are you sitting down?

It is hosed in the US.

One of the things that always gets overlooked when talking about large scale geoengineering is that it's an absolute nightmare in terms of international politics. What nation has the right to start pushing policy whose sole purpose is to alter the entire planet's climate? I can legitimately see this being an issue that wars will be fought over, especially if the potential side effects of the technology being used aren't clear. The rest of the world won't just shrug it off if we announce that we're going to dump massive amounts of SO2 into the atmosphere or begin a worldwide program of ocean iron fertilization.

I also suspect that energy generation and emissions policies will become a real point of international contention sooner rather than later. There's going to be a point where nations that are actively pursuing mitigation strategies realize that they're being hosed by people like us who refuse to acknowledge the damage that we're causing to the climate.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay so what happens if we actually increase our emissions , because we gut EPA / Carbon Tax programs, will China and other countries also follow suit.

If this happens and we actually not only not cut emissions but increase them how hosed are we.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Why would China increase its emissions just because of Trump? It's not going to make or break economic dominance of USA over China or vice versa, and China is already milking the rewards and soft power benefits of being able to claim some moral high ground over the US threatening to abandon all its international agreements.

Alternatively, hope is a lie and we are all doomed

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Why would China increase its emissions just because of Trump? It's not going to make or break economic dominance of USA over China or vice versa, and China is already milking the rewards and soft power benefits of being able to claim some moral high ground over the US threatening to abandon all its international agreements.

Alternatively, hope is a lie and we are all doomed

Because if the US isn't going to hold to the Paris Accord they'll be thinking " Well we can't let them possibly get a economic advantage".

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Because if the US isn't going to hold to the Paris Accord they'll be thinking " Well we can't let them possibly get a economic advantage".

If China thought reducing emissions would severely damage their economy they wouldn't have signed up to the agreements at all. Now they can continue what they (hopefully) believed was the correct long term decision while also being :smug: about they have surpassed the Americans as a world leader in the field.

... right? :ohdear:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I have no idea what China will do, but if we drop out of the Paris Agreement then it's almost a guarantee that international progress on climate change stops until there's a major shift in US politics. Like it or not, the US really needs to take up a leadership role on this issue and electing Trump means that we're effectively rejecting that responsibility. We've lost the ability to hold other nation's feet to the fire, so China and other countries will probably back out the instant that climate action stops making economic sense.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I have no idea what China will do, but if we drop out of the Paris Agreement then it's almost a guarantee that international progress on climate change stops until there's a major shift in US politics. Like it or not, the US really needs to take up a leadership role on this issue and electing Trump means that we're effectively rejecting that responsibility. We've lost the ability to hold other nation's feet to the fire, so China and other countries will probably back out the instant that climate action stops making economic sense.

That or they use this as a chance to forever cripple the US by excluding us from their climate mitigating markets. If China and the EU saw this as a chance to shut out US manufacturers, that could be a best case.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

If China thought reducing emissions would severely damage their economy they wouldn't have signed up to the agreements at all. Now they can continue what they (hopefully) believed was the correct long term decision while also being :smug: about they have surpassed the Americans as a world leader in the field.

... right? :ohdear:

tbh I think you are right about this. I suspect the PRC can see the writing on the wall. They literally have nothing to lose by combating climate change and investing in mitigation/green energy. It will help to quell the murmurs of discontent over the environment domestically and paints them in a very positive light on the international stage. They also have done a lot of development work/major investments in African countries (many of which will be hit hard by climate change) and I'm sure they'll want to keep up the good will as they push development (read: influence) there.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

sitchensis posted:

tbh I think you are right about this. I suspect the PRC can see the writing on the wall. They literally have nothing to lose by combating climate change and investing in mitigation/green energy. It will help to quell the murmurs of discontent over the environment domestically and paints them in a very positive light on the international stage. They also have done a lot of development work/major investments in African countries (many of which will be hit hard by climate change) and I'm sure they'll want to keep up the good will as they push development (read: influence) there.

Come on guys, you really think the only reason politicians are pushing for dirty power is because they lust for the destruction of the environment? Of course there's short-term benefit in it.

THAT'S WHY WE GOT INTO THIS SITUATION

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TildeATH posted:

Come on guys, you really think the only reason politicians are pushing for dirty power is because they lust for the destruction of the environment? Of course there's short-term benefit in it.

THAT'S WHY WE GOT INTO THIS SITUATION

Right but China needs a bunch of make work to pretend the economy can keep growing so maybe they're able to connect the dots and do a bunch of climate related make work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

That or they use this as a chance to forever cripple the US by excluding us from their climate mitigating markets. If China and the EU saw this as a chance to shut out US manufacturers, that could be a best case.

I would 100% support the rest of the world pushing forward on mitigation efforts while crippling the US economy as punishment for our failure to act. I mean I don't think there's a chance in hell of it happening, but I enjoy the idea of a Trump presidency actually leading to the greatest collective environmental action the world has ever taken.