Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

Good for you, that level of state sponsored murder is still something unseen in this country in generations.

Not since the Civil War, if we're going to get that technical. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

treu posted:

I am given the choice of a person who supported NAFTA who's husband caused the problem, or someone who took advantage of the trade situation to enrich himself.

I am all for using the system to your advantage as allowed by law. I am not in support of those who create the problem

JawKnee posted:

This doesn't really answer my question, though? Why do you believe Trump - given his personal enrichment as a product of that system - will suddenly turn on it?

Legitimately interested in your answer

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MechaX posted:

So in all of this craziness, I just have one question:

Exactly when was America great, decade wise, that we need to go back to it to make America great again?

Whenever the voter asked was a child, usually.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

treu posted:

Pretty sure in 2 years when the midterm election comes up. Was this some sort of trick question?

Well you're acting as if it's next week and that nothing bad will happen between now and then.

Which, I mean, if you're a white person who isn't poor might be the case, but if you aren't...

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Butts posted:

Democrats may or may not have a strong bench in the next election. Bad poo poo Trump and his cronies do may or may not have terrible effects in the long term and could realistically be overturned. The effect Trump will have on the Supreme Court, however, is something I feel will have very long lasting damage to the nation- and we'll be stuck with its legacy for generations.

Yeah it's probably gonna require court packing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

negromancer posted:

This right here is the proof that it wasn't the uneducated hicks out there that support racism and sexism, it was voters up and down the socioeconomic and educational spectrum.

They don't care about any of the hypocrisy of their positions. You're not telling them anything about Trump and Pence they didn't already know.

It was straight up FYGM, and whether that was motivated by racism, sexism, etc, is your guess.

But it was definitely motivated by being a deplorable bastard.

almost all people vote based on their own self-interest, and in fact do most things based on it - this is hardly a revelation. It's more interesting to find out whether there is actually any evidence that their own self-interest is being served by their choices

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

negromancer posted:

This right here is the proof that it wasn't the uneducated hicks out there that support racism and sexism, it was voters up and down the socioeconomic and educational spectrum.

They don't care about any of the hypocrisy of their positions. You're not telling them anything about Trump and Pence they didn't already know.

It was straight up FYGM, and whether that was motivated by racism, sexism, etc, is your guess.

In fairness, our narrative is wrong. Somebody posted a poll elsewhere that I can't find right now that said that white people at and below the poverty line actually went majority for Clinton, barely. That doesn't tell us much about urban/rural but, yeah.

OWLS! posted:

Not since the Civil War, if we're going to get that technical. :eng101:

That's not really what I meant and you're being an rear end in a top hat about this.

Just because it's worse elsewhere doesn't mean it's not unacceptable here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

treu posted:

Pretty sure in 2 years when the midterm election comes up. Was this some sort of trick question?

Lol we were talking about Trump right? So you're even wrong about this.

Hint: the house doesn't have treaty authority and any senators you voted for won't be up in 2 years.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

That's not really what I meant and you're being an rear end in a top hat about this.

Just because it's worse elsewhere doesn't mean it's not unacceptable here.

Just because it happens elsewhere, doesn't mean it's going to happen here, calm yo tits.

Also false equivalence in your original post, eeeeeey.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

negromancer posted:

Well, if we join hands with Russia and China, we might get that one world government that the racists that voted against ironically enough.

Ooh, I like this one. It's so beautifully dystopian.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OWLS! posted:

Just because it happens elsewhere, doesn't mean it's going to happen here, calm yo tits.

It currently happens here. It's going to accelerate now.

Like for real the mass incarceration and murder of black people by the prison-industrial complex is a travesty and essentially amounts to state sponsored terrorism.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

NAFTA is the new gay marriage. Progressives need an answer for it because we like the peace and stability trade brings. Unless we address it however it's going to be used to ram every other regressive policy through the Government for Trump, the GOP and the indefinite future.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Radish posted:

I'm skeptical that there are tons of Obama voters that went Trump especially when he didn't get Romney level of popular support. It seems more likely that Obama voters in those districts just didn't show up while the Trump guys did. It's more of the absurd "how can this country be racists, we elected Obama TWICE" said by people that voted for McCaine and Romney.

Given how much lower turnout was this year, this seems correct. I really can't see people that voted for him twice actually supporting Trump, but can totally see them sitting this one out.

porfiria posted:

Nate Cohn has Hillary up over 2 million in the popular vote. Jesus. Heartbreaking.

Where'd you see that, NYT is showing a 200k lead.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

Cory Booker is probably the most charismatic guy they have waiting in the wings. His economic policies will piss the left off but let's be real here, Trump didn't win because people loved his actual policies

You assume they care.

They might but the hot memes right now say "Oh hey, another cool black guy(that might be gay).

super fast edit: It's kinda like how people really like Biden but don't know he's just as much as a corp. Dem as Clinton or Booker.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ooh, I like this one. It's so beautifully dystopian.

The sky is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel...

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

Obergfell v. Hodges is easy. You have a marriage clerk or probate judge refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, and then have that state's AG appeal the inevitable lower court rulings against up to SCOTUS. The only thing though is that Obergfell was ruled 5-4 while Scalia was still alive, so simply filling his seat with a conservative justice wouldn't suffice. We'd also have to lose a sitting liberal justice to swing the court.

Roe v. Wade would just be a matter of conservative states getting cheeky and pushing more and more restrictive abortion laws until somebody finally sued them, at which point it could get appealed up to SCOTUS.

What are the chances that they get tired of waiting and decide to pack the Supreme Court by increasing it to 11 or 13 justices, like how FDR threatened to do? They were already contemplating leaving it 8, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to go in the opposite direction.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

It currently happens here. It's going to accelerate now.

Like for real the mass incarceration and murder of black people by the prison-industrial complex is a travesty and essentially amounts to state sponsored terrorism.

Hahaha oh wow, if you seriously believe that the way that the US system is hosed and the way that, oh IDK, the USSR was hosed are in any way equivalent, holy poo poo.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Crows Turn Off posted:

Trump has stated that he wants to get rid of the Department of Education and the Environmental Protection Agency. The Republican Party is generally on board with both of these things.

So, whoever it is, they'll just be there to dismantle it.

and what is the point of scuttling either??

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
It's incredible really, being condescending and insulting towards ~50% of the population didn't work leading up to the election and in fact could probably be pointed to as to being one of the reasons Clinton lost the election to an overgrown oompa-loompa, yet here this thread is still doing the same thing as if that's going to convince anyone.

I'd be willing to bet a small but significant portion of the population voted Trump out of spite towards this kind of attitude from the left. It doesn't matter how wrong someone is, you won't convince them of that fact by calling them names or insulting their intelligence.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OWLS! posted:

Hahaha oh wow, if you seriously believe that the way that the US system is hosed and the way that, oh IDK, the USSR was hosed are in any way equivalent, holy poo poo.

Please tell me more about the minimization of the problems of people of color.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

OWLS! posted:

The sky is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVekJTmtwqM

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

How can you claim to understand the impacts of climate change and then ignore them in the politicians you pick?

You can't just pretend that because you only voted for some litmus test that you didn't endorse the candidate with these other reprehensible and dire policies.

Why is trade policy more important than the impacts of climate change?

Everyone has a certain priority in their agenda that they would like accomplished. Do I want America to be 100% clean energy? Sure. But I have to focus on things I want completed in the short or near term as well, and unfortunately that makes the well-being of the financial situation of my community a top priority.

negromancer posted:

Uneducated? I still actively read the NYT, WashPO, and watch MSNBC regularly.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Meme Culture lost this election

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

Legitimately interested in your answer

It is simple. They don't vote.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, but... what the hell do we do about it? I'm mostly concerned, as a journalist, because I'm beginning to suspect that reporting might be meaningless in the modern age. I started a thread to this effect a while back and everyone was like "yeah, it's probably hosed."

I don't exactly have a lot of answers as a guy who ran out of money 3/4 of the way through his Poli Sci degree and works as a freelance chef, but identifying Democratic problems might help. This is only my opinion, but I feel that the DNC perceives that we're just on a gradual slope to true progressivism and that we shouldn't rock the boat. That's how we end up with Kerry, Hillary, McGovern, Dukakis, Schulz, and Gore. And the best that any of them ever came up with is as media figures and/or with designated Executive roles (I'm not counting Gore's VP ticket as people weren't exactly electing him). But then look what happens when we roll out people like Sanders, Obama, Warren, Ellison, and hell even an un-chained Gore. People actually want or at least support nationwide pot decriminalization, economic regulation, gun control, gay marriage, legal abortion, etc. by pretty decent margins. The Democrats unfortunately are useless and have no reason to be supported if they're too afraid to actually go for it, which is why their safe bet candidates receive no support and the people who actually say "we're gonna give you the things you want," get substantial momentum. Get those names out there for leadership positions, or we get dipshits like Debbie Schulz into office.

So I guess as a journalist, the left has to find some way to rile people up like the right does. Show people that the last 8 years weren't the meek cowtowing to Facebook Dads like you think they were, and that out of the blue we got things like nationwide gay marriage, Federal Health Care, an exposure of police violence, drastic drops in crime rates, and other things that weren't part of a gentle sliding slope but because we put the right people in office. We also have to learn how to talk to people. For example, don't say "the fascist racist police gotta stop killing people" when your argument can be framed by your detractors as reverse-racism, hating all police, and supporting criminals who kill police. Don't call people racist and say "yeah my job is done here" when we've learned a thousand times that things like that can be flipped around and made worse with words like "political correctness" or hiding behind the dog whistle. Don't do that stupid poo poo that we did during Bush's years where we were just going "hurr hurr Bush is dumb and looks like a monkey hahahaha" while he was doing things like lying about WMDs, handing out contracts to friends of his VP, and instituting the most disastrous education plan ever. As for influencing the parties themselves, keep out the reminder where the actual majority stands and throw names behind disastrous decisions to keep in peoples' minds for the next election. Remind everyone just how obstructionist a minority Republican Congress was. If Republicans can block nominees for any appointed position for months or force out cabinet members for stupid reasons, we can sure as gently caress keep Sarah Palin from getting a position.

And again, I don't actually know, but I can tell you that we did something seriously, seriously wrong this time.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

Please tell me more about the minimization of the problems of people of color.

Nobody's minimizing the problem, it's a loving big one, just a mass execution it ain't.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

treu posted:

Everyone has a certain priority in their agenda that they would like accomplished. Do I want America to be 100% clean energy? Sure. But I have to focus on things I want completed in the short or near term as well, and unfortunately that makes the well-being of the financial situation of my community a top priority.

Climate change will likely significantly hurt the financial stability of your community, especially thanks to Trump. You sacrificed our future generations for a pocket full of promises.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

It is simple. They don't vote.

I don't understand, this doesn't appear to answer the question I asked?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

chumbler posted:

The decade after a massive war devastated Europe.

Fingers crossed we'll see Russia attempt to annex Finland with American support, precipitating another Great War that results in over one billion dead.

Interesting times indeed!

I wonder what a new NATO-style arrangement between America, Russia, China and North Korea would look like. I'm envisioning a throne of skulls

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

happyhippy posted:

They have passed laws to not name officers involved, passed laws to withhold video evidence, passed laws not to need body cameras.
Now they can just pass a law to not mention cop caused deaths from now on.
Problem solved!

You should explain to him how, as a white male, any of that affects him.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
GUYS GUYS WASN'T OBAMA SUPPOSED TO PAINT THE WHITE HOUSE BLACK?!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
GUYS GUYS OBAMA ISN'T EVEN AN AMERICAN!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OWLS! posted:

Nobody's minimizing the problem, it's a loving big one, just a mass execution it ain't.

America has always been a very individualist country after all!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
#TEXIT

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol we were talking about Trump right? So you're even wrong about this.

Hint: the house doesn't have treaty authority and any senators you voted for won't be up in 2 years.

The question was "When do you think the next time you get to cast a ballot is? Do you understand what can happen between now and then?"

Not when do I get to vote for the next President. Reading comprehension, please.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Oh stop trying to reason with Trump voters. They've already proven they don't have any meaningful ability to judge the future.

"I'm a climate scientist worried about the future of my community. ~votes for candidate who claims global warming is a Chinese plot~"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Doctor Butts posted:

Democrats may or may not have a strong bench in the next election. Bad poo poo Trump and his cronies do may or may not have terrible effects in the long term and could realistically be overturned. The effect Trump will have on the Supreme Court, however, is something I feel will have very long lasting damage to the nation- and we'll be stuck with its legacy for generations.

Maybe he'll gently caress up and give us Souter 2.0. :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

treu posted:

Hahaha, you literally stopped reading that post at the word "uneducated".

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dubious posted:

and what is the point of scuttling either??
Republicans view the EPA as a huge hurdle to big businesses. It costs money to not pollute the environment as much as you want. It costs money to not destroy communities with fracking. This is perfectly in line with Trump's climate change denial.

The Department of Education will get the axe because it stands in the way of private and charter schools (even if it really doesn't). They want to sweepingly teach creationism, abstinence-only education, and "homosexuality is a sin" stuff in schools. So, just to be safe, remove any chance for oversight.

It's really, really awful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

I don't understand, this doesn't appear to answer the question I asked?

8 million people who voted in 12 didn't vote in this election. This wasn't old Obama voters going Trump this was them sitting out.

• Locked thread