Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

given that you functionally have the same outcome then, do you not move on to other deciding factors?

But I in the hypothetical situation remember losing that jo and my friends losing their jobs to NAFTa why do I vote for the white fe of the architects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

OWLS! posted:

Call it a hutch. Back in reality any measure to repeal will be filibustered to gently caress and back by the Dems. And if it isn't, then your party really has abandoned the gently caress out of you.

Oh wait what was that, weren't the Dems discussing getting rid of the filibuster? This is a dumb idea and this is exactly why the filibuster needs to stay.

The Republicans can and will get rid of the filibuster ASAP. They've completely abandoned any sense of political decorum.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OWLS! posted:

Call it a hutch. Back in reality any measure to repeal will be filibustered to gently caress and back by the Dems. And if it isn't, then your party really has abandoned the gently caress out of you.

Oh wait what was that, weren't the Dems discussing getting rid of the filibuster? This is a dumb idea and this is exactly why the filibuster needs to stay.

The Republicans will get rid of the filibuster, they don't need a supermajority to do it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

treu posted:

Difference between believing and giving the opportunity to do so, pal.

Why would you give the opportunity to someone you don't believe is going to do it? How loving stupid are you?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

The Republicans will get rid of the filibuster, they don't need a supermajority to do it.

The dems were talking about doing it before they even got there.

So I don't want to hear any crying about it, ninnies.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

OWLS! posted:

Republicans have the ability to get rid of the filibuster now. My guess is they'll do it since the Democrats can literally not do anything to stop it, and it will allow them to pass everything easily.

So, relying on the filibuster to prevent horrible stuff is not going to help.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OWLS! posted:

Obamacare =/= Insurance. Whatever plan we get, it'll probably be lovely, but in my scientific experience, bet you that the amount of people screwed over probably won't change in any significant way.

Except for the people with pre-existing conditions who are likely to be hosed over, not to mention the millions of Americans who will be paying for garbage health plans with zero care standards. You have got to be willfully ignorant to think that electing Trump will not kill people via the health care poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Republican's are not going to repeal and replace Obamacare. They're going to repeal it and there is a good chance they are going to drop restrictions on insurance companies not being able to operate out of state lines which means there is going to be a race to the bottom.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

treu posted:

Difference between believing and giving the opportunity to do so, pal.

And you think that chance is worth the damage to Michigan and America from furthering climate change?

quote:

The Midwest’s agricultural lands, forests, Great Lakes, industrial activities, and cities are all vulnerable to climate variability and climate change. Climate change will tend to amplify existing risks climate poses to people, ecosystems, and infrastructure. Direct effects will include increased heat stress, flooding, drought, and late spring freezes. Climate change also alters pests and disease prevalence, competition from non-native or opportunistic native species, ecosystem disturbances, land-use change, landscape fragmentation, atmospheric and watershed pollutants, and economic shocks such as crop failures, reduced yields, or toxic blooms of algae due to extreme weather events. These added stresses, together with the direct effects of climate change, are projected to alter ecosystem and socioeconomic patterns and processes in ways that most people in the region would consider detrimental.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/MICHIGAN_NCA_2014.pdf

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

OWLS! posted:

I'm not an american - so the Dems aren't 'my party', what does your hunch lead you to believe Obamacare will be replaced with?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OWLS! posted:

He can't exactly just executive order everything away, you know. He can try, but with a bit of luck we'll get some reduction of presidential powers and things will be back to what they should be.

I believe they were discussing getting rid of the filibuster for judicial appointments, not for everything.

Also, I'd like to introduce you to a thing called reconciliation, which is how Republicans are going to repeal Obamacare without having to worry about a filibuster.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OWLS! posted:

Republicans are talking about getting rid of the filibuster now that they have more power.

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

JawKnee posted:

Given this, then, you could not have made a decision based on what Trump was saying, yes?

Excellent, now we're getting somewhere - what research did you do? Would you mind sharing it?

Am I seriously going to dig up various news sources/articles/journals over the past 18 months? I don't have that kind of time to post a litany of discourse over an internet forum.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OWLS! posted:

The dems were talking about doing it before they even got there.

So I don't want to hear any crying about it, ninnies.

I shouldn't have to explain to you why that's a false equivalency.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crows Turn Off posted:

Republicans have the ability to get rid of the filibuster now. My guess is they'll do it since the Democrats can literally not do anything to stop it, and it will allow them to pass everything easily.

Yep, and if the dems were doing it, you would all be cheering, my point is either side doing is dumb and both can get hosed.

DrNutt posted:

Except for the people with pre-existing conditions who are likely to be hosed over, not to mention the millions of Americans who will be paying for garbage health plans with zero care standards. You have got to be willfully ignorant to think that electing Trump will not kill people via the health care poo poo.

Yep, here's another thing, people eventually all die, sad but true. Also electing trump was stupid but for a lot of reasons, but it's not going to cause the end of the world as we know it.

Unfortunately.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

:laffo: it's going to get so much worse under a full Republican government though.

We're going to start seeing cops murdering people every other day.

People are really underestimating how many people will die during the mass deportations

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

I shouldn't have to explain to you why that's a false equivalency.

My party removes the filibuster = good
Their party removes the filibuster = terrible

Lol, what a bunch of hypocritical ninnies.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OWLS! posted:

Yep, here's another thing, people eventually all die, sad but true.

"Your honor, people eventually all die, sad but true. That's why I should be let go for shooting all those folks."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Bobby Jindal get's ahold of the HHS we are going to see it loving destroyed, mental health services, womens services, HIV prevention, all of that is going to just die.

Things Bobby Jindal did when in charge of Louisiana Health under Mike Foster was to basically destroy the Medicaid system there with reducing the number of applicants , reduciton in womens health programs, etc..

THings are super loving bad.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy Goodbody posted:

People are really underestimating how many people will die during the mass deportations

Hey, can you tell me, how many died in the mass fema camps?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
<<<<<<<<< AW YISSSS THANK YOU.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

But I in the hypothetical situation remember losing that jo and my friends losing their jobs to NAFTa why do I vote for the white fe of the architects?

So simply - the one is a (supposedly) known outcome; the other is unknown, but can be inferred from the individuals personal actions - and as such, nostalgia and anecdotal evidence wins the day? That's distressing.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

The Republican's are not going to repeal and replace Obamacare. They're going to repeal it and there is a good chance they are going to drop restrictions on insurance companies not being able to operate out of state lines which means there is going to be a race to the bottom.

Wouldn't this then require federal oversight since interstate commerce is a federal power?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ryan is losing his speakership so that makes Senator Turtle the most liberal powerbroker.

OWLS! posted:

My party removes the filibuster = good
Their party removes the filibuster = terrible

Lol, what a bunch of hypocritical ninnies.

Boring, come back when your act/thought distinction develops

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OWLS! posted:

Hey, can you tell me, how many died in the mass fema camps?

I see where you're coming from on this, and I suspect one is as likely as the other, but I feel it's important to point out that one of these things was a fantasy dreamed up by opponents of a presidential nominee, while the other is a thing a presidential nominee said he wanted to do.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

treu posted:

Am I seriously going to dig up various news sources/articles/journals over the past 18 months? I don't have that kind of time to post a litany of discourse over an internet forum.

Well I guess we're at a standstill then - I've asked for evidence, you've assured me it exists but will not share it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

And you think that chance is worth the damage to Michigan and America from furthering climate change?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/MICHIGAN_NCA_2014.pdf

no but see there are complexities :downs:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trabisnikof posted:

Boring, come back when your act/thought distinction develops

Back to gently caress either party for even trying. Shoulda had Johnson, shoulda had Bernie, coulda shoulda cry cry cry.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lightning Knight posted:

I've not once been hyperbolic about how utterly hosed we are.

I mean myself.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ornamented Death posted:

I see where you're coming from on this, and I suspect one is as likely as the other, but I feel it's important to point out that one of these things was a fantasy dreamed up by opponents of a presidential nominee, while the other is a thing a presidential nominee said he wanted to do.

Fortunately, said president-elect has the consistency of mashed potatoes, and is more flipfloppy than my flipflops. He could say that the america would blow up the moon tomorrow, and I would be completely unsurprised. Chances of it actually happening though?

I mean, you nerds are seriously taking this moron at his every word?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ornamented Death posted:

The fear that Obama was going to take away guns from gun owners was dumb. The fear that Trump is going to take away health insurance from millions of Americans is not, since that's a thing that will almost certainly happen in three months or so.

Obama didn't run on a platform of taking guns from gun owners. In fact, he denied it. Trump did run on a platform of taking away Obamacare. The two things aren't even remotely equivalent. Apparently Trump voters have a problem with logic. All the things in Trump's platform they like, he will do. All the things they don't like, he will not do.

There's going to be a bit of screaming from Trump voters here soon when they realise the fact they are on their parents insurance at 25 is due to Obamacare, not the kindness of the insurance companies, and now they will have to pay full price.

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't disagree that climate change is an issue. However, you can argue what to focus on. Something that is currently killing your quality of life and has been for the past decade, or something that will kill your quality of life in the next decade.

It was fun posting, I normally just lurk here. If I missed any of your questions it's because there are just too many to go through and address. But, I think spending 2 hours on here was enough for me today, pretty tired out.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

fadam posted:

Did Republicans get this sad and butthurt when McCain and Romney lost?

I get being bummed but people on my twitter are talking about how to use TOR and how Trump is going to have roaming deportation squads and its like LMAO you sound like the militia guys from that MoJo piece.

They were saying the same stupid crap Democrats are saying right now.

"OMG he's going to ruin/steal/destroy the country!" "I'm so scared! He's going to get me!" "Obama is going to round us up in FEMA camps!" etc, etc.

It's all dumb.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

OWLS! posted:

Reading the crying in this thread is like reading gun forums after Obama won the election twice.

The level of sheer stupidity is staggering.

Welcome to the sighing anime girl club

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

OWLS! posted:

Fortunately, said president-elect has the consistency of mashed potatoes, and is more flipfloppy than my flipflops. He could say that the america would blow up the moon tomorrow, and I would be completely unsurprised. Chances of it actually happening though?

In my opinion this is a frightening thought for the leader of the most powerful country in the world.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy Goodbody posted:

Welcome to the sighing anime girl club

She's not sighting, :smugdon: just grabbed her pussy, and you know it.

(Thank you)

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

JawKnee posted:

Well I guess we're at a standstill then - I've asked for evidence, you've assured me it exists but will not share it.

You asked a blanket question to share research pertaining to no subject in particular. Be more specific and I'd try to answer it. There is a time commitment involved, I don't have the free time to defend myself against non-stop internet warriors asking vague questions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The republican replacement for Obamacare is hahaha gently caress you and also immigrants and black people are stealing all the health care I guess. Probably the gays and hell, why not, the Jews, too. Now go overdose and die on your pain pills, poors. Thanks for being useful.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawKnee posted:

In my opinion this is a frightening thought for the leader of the most powerful country in the world.

It's equal parts pathetic, hilarious, terrifying, and curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OWLS! posted:

I mean, you nerds are seriously taking this moron at his every word?

Nah I'm more worried when he's spouting crazy conservative poo poo I've heard before. That means some interest group will yes-man him and congress into doing it.

The congress is as spooky as trump.

• Locked thread