Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OWLS! posted:

Fortunately, said president-elect has the consistency of mashed potatoes, and is more flipfloppy than my flipflops. He could say that the america would blow up the moon tomorrow, and I would be completely unsurprised. Chances of it actually happening though?

I mean, you nerds are seriously taking this moron at his every word?

If you read my post, I flat out stated I didn't think it was going to happen. On the other hand, it's disingenuous to just assume that Trump isn't going to at least try to do some of the crazy poo poo he promised.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Obama didn't run on a platform of taking guns from gun owners. In fact, he denied it. Trump did run on a platform of taking away Obamacare. The two things aren't even remotely equivalent. Apparently Trump voters have a problem with logic. All the things in Trump's platform they like, he will do. All the things they don't like, he will not do.

I know. My post was more to point out that anyone trying to draw equivalency between the fears of Republicans in the wake of Obama's election and the fears of Democrats in the wake of Trump's election is being intellectually dishonest.

Case in point:

spacetoaster posted:

They were saying the same stupid crap Democrats are saying right now.

"OMG he's going to ruin/steal/destroy the country!" "I'm so scared! He's going to get me!" "Obama is going to round us up in FEMA camps!" etc, etc.

It's all dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trabisnikof posted:

Nah I'm more worried when he's spouting crazy conservative poo poo I've heard before. That means some interest group will yes-man him and congress into doing it.

The congress is as spooky as trump.

Congress and the potential cabinet. Dick Cheney 2.0 here we come.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ornamented Death posted:

If you read my post, I flat out stated I didn't think it was going to happen. On the other hand, it's disingenuous to just assume that Trump isn't going to at least try to do some of the crazy poo poo he promised.

Apologies.

(What can I do, I live for the schadenfreude, don't really much care who's producing it.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I was agreeing with you OrnamentedDeath.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well I'm still alive. Thanks to some of you for the kind words

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

OWLS! posted:

Hey, can you tell me, how many died in the mass fema camps?

I don't know anything about that, but I know 88 people all died in one go during the last mass deportation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-anything-but/

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I was agreeing with you OrnamentedDeath.

I know, I was just fleshing out my point a bit more.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Glad to hear it. Was unironically worried about you.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

treu posted:

You asked a blanket question to share research pertaining to no subject in particular. Be more specific and I'd try to answer it. There is a time commitment involved, I don't have the free time to defend myself against non-stop internet warriors asking vague questions.

Okay, perhaps just those pieces pertaining to Trump definitively attacking globalism in such a way that isn't undermined by his own behavior with respect to his business ventures?

e: I mean, you understand I can only take you at your word that such evidence exists, and that you actually did the research you claim, yes? And I don't know you from Adam, friend.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good. Stay Strong.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

OWLS! posted:

Apologies.

(What can I do, I live for the schadenfreude, don't really much care who's producing it.)

I'd assume this guy was a troll but actually he's pretty typical for the alt right and most of the Trumper Youth. They really do think they are cool dudes who don't care about anything while the pathetic nerds are running around like headless chickens as their country is destroyed.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Ice Phisherman posted:

The democrats are going to have to clean some rust off that rust belt. We have to take care of our own before we can push our social issues again. We can't just expect these people to vote D reliably anymore. We actually have to solve their problems.

Thanks, this was a very enlightening post. Before reading it I found it hard to imagine people brushing off issues which I considered the most important, but I guess social progressive issues have to come after more basic needs are taken care of.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ornamented Death posted:

Case in point:

I'm glad of it. :colbert:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'd assume this guy was a troll but actually he's pretty typical for the alt right and most of the Trumper Youth. They really do think they are cool dudes who don't care about anything while the pathetic nerds are running around like headless chickens as their country is destroyed.

Dude, if you think I voted for trump you're high. He's a despicable human being, and we need to find comedy for the next four years to deal with it. Hyperventilating, and offing ourselves isn't going to help the situation, yknow?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why the gently caress are you people not taking Trump at his word on what he wants to do as President? We've been through this poo poo over and over again

Trump won't run
Trump's not gonna win a single state
This is just a stunt, he's gonna drop out
Trump can't be the Republican nominee
Trump's gonna blow up before election day
Trump can't win

and now

Trump's not going to actually do the things he said he would

Donald Trump is president. The same Donald Trump that ran for election.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why the gently caress are you people not taking Trump at his word on what he wants to do as President? We've been through this poo poo over and over again

Trump won't run
Trump can't win

and now

So Mexico will pay for the wall?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy Goodbody posted:

TBPH, I'm sort of hoping that the russian honeymoon lasts until the inauguration and then we all die in a nuclear hellfire.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

OWLS! posted:

Apologies.

What a great reason to live for. Glad youre proud of it.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I am fully convinced Trump will find a way to convince his supporters that he got this one done despite reality

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just to be clear, you believe Donald Trump and the Republicans are going to build a wall, from coast to coast, along the Mexican border?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing he'll be successful, but denying he's going to try some (or all) of the crazy poo poo is bonkers.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

treu posted:

I don't disagree that climate change is an issue. However, you can argue what to focus on. Something that is currently killing your quality of life and has been for the past decade, or something that will kill your quality of life in the next decade.

It was fun posting, I normally just lurk here. If I missed any of your questions it's because there are just too many to go through and address. But, I think spending 2 hours on here was enough for me today, pretty tired out.

Before you go, I just wanted to say, from one Michigoon to another:

gently caress you, you selfish prick. You make me ashamed of my state.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Guy Goodbody posted:

Trump won't run
Trump can't win

and now

The best we can hope for is the people around him manage to convince him he really meant X when he said Y.

But then I look at the people around him and that possibility is no less terrifying.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Not only will Trump attempt to do the things he said he would but he will succeed, because the voters handed him control of the entire US government. No checks or balances.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OWLS! posted:

TBPH, I'm sort of hoping that the russian honeymoon lasts until the inauguration and then we all die in a nuclear hellfire.

Death is certain... ly going to be a relief.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Sen. Tom Cotton just said on CNN that waterboarding isn't torture because we have done it to our own troops and radio dj's have volunteered to experience it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
He 100% will try to build a wall.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phyein posted:

What a great reason to live for. Glad youre proud of it.

Trump was most definitely not an option for me, neither was Hillary, (and Bernie didn't make it past the primaries). So hey, I'll go vote Johnson, and extract as much comedy from the resulting explosion either on the right or on the left. This seems to be panning out so far.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JawKnee posted:

Just to be clear, you believe Donald Trump and the Republicans are going to build a wall, from coast to coast, along the Mexican border?

Even Trump was compromising on that towards the end of the campaign when someone pointed out there are already natural obstacles along some parts of the border

But I guarantee you, there will be a wall built on some length of the border during Trump's presidency.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Shifty Pony posted:

The best we can hope for is the people around him manage to convince him he really meant X when he said Y.

But then I look at the people around him and that possibility is no less terrifying.

They want the same things he does. He's also highly manipulable so they will use this opportunity to push through their own pet evil schemes.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hollismason posted:

He 100% will try to build a wall.

The question is not whether he will try, politicians in every country attempt to do stupid things, the question is whether he will succeed

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I kind of wonder if he will implement a media control plan similar to Putin.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So. What the hell do we do now if we want some chance in hell of reversing the coming Trumpster fire of the next two-eight years? I mean, I live in Florida, so the local DNC is already a shambles, but there's got to be some way to help fix this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

OWLS! posted:

Trump was most definitely not an option for me, neither was Hillary, (and Bernie didn't make it past the primaries). So hey, I'll go vote Johnson, and extract as much comedy from the resulting explosion either on the right or on the left. This seems to be panning out so far.

I see this ending well for you in the long run.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Even Trump was compromising on that towards the end of the campaign when someone pointed out there are already natural obstacles along some parts of the border

But I guarantee you, there will be a wall built on some length of the border during Trump's presidency.

Are there not already? This becomes a significantly different promise with that caveat.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy Goodbody posted:

We already have a wall, don't we? Well it's more of a chain link fence, but that's close enough, right?

Hollismason posted:

In which case I get to actually get off my rear end and live out my fantasy of becoming DJ Professor K from Jet Set Radio

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like this needs to be on every page of the thread : If you are expecting congressional Republicans to be a sane, level-headed check on executive power, you are a moron.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

But I in the hypothetical situation remember losing that jo and my friends losing their jobs to NAFTa why do I vote for the white fe of the architects?

Hillary Clinton was not married to George HW Bush:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-12-18/news/1992353055_1_treaty-renegotiate-clinton

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mulva posted:

I see this ending well for you in the long run.

This ends poorly, for everybody. Might as well enjoy the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Hollismason posted:

What, assassinate journalists until they are so scared they print whatever he wants?

• Locked thread