Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

If Bobby Jindal get's ahold of the HHS we are going to see it loving destroyed, mental health services, womens services, HIV prevention, all of that is going to just die.

Things Bobby Jindal did when in charge of Louisiana Health under Mike Foster was to basically destroy the Medicaid system there with reducing the number of applicants , reduciton in womens health programs, etc..

THings are super loving bad.

loving this!!! And he merrily went about dismantling the system even more as governor. Jesus loving christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well I'm still alive. Thanks to some of you for the kind words

:sympathy: Good on you for getting help when you needed it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

OWLS! posted:

Trump was most definitely not an option for me, neither was Hillary, (and Bernie didn't make it past the primaries). So hey, I'll go vote Johnson, and extract as much comedy from the resulting explosion either on the right or on the left. This seems to be panning out so far.

drat this guys cool as heck

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
He will 100% try and build a wall. Also, he is going to absolutely use his position to benefit his sons and family. Like if he wasn't rich before the Trump empire is going to grow like crazy.

He sees what Putin has done and is like " I want that".

C2C - 2.0 posted:

loving this!!! And he merrily went about dismantling the system even more as governor. Jesus loving christ.

Yea, it's really bad if Bobby Jindal gets power in HHS.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Guy Goodbody posted:

I feel like this needs to be on every page of the thread : If you are expecting congressional Republicans to be a sane, level-headed check on executive power, you are a moron.

I more expect Trump to continue the trends of globalism, and his support to vary based on how it affects the states and interests they represent

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know its impossible, but if Trump did build a wall and got Mexico to pay for it, would it actually be that bad for America?

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

OWLS! posted:

Trump was most definitely not an option for me, neither was Hillary, (and Bernie didn't make it past the primaries). So hey, I'll go vote Johnson, and extract as much comedy from the resulting explosion either on the right or on the left. This seems to be panning out so far.

I agree with this post. This will end up becoming a comedy goldmine over the next four years, and I cannot wait.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I feel like this needs to be on every page of the thread : If you are expecting congressional Republicans to be a sane, level-headed check on executive power, you are a moron.

I expect the House to be a circus. I expect a very small handful of Senate Republicans to maintain level heads about very specific issues (primarily immigration), just enough that they can stop anything truly outrageous from going on. Lindsay Graham, for example, has already stated that he'll work with Trump, but that mass deportations are a non-starter for him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well from a logistical stand point it is a absolute nightmare. I see him doing a more realistic 15 foot wall across areas where the border is not that tall already then claiming " I said I'd build a wall and I did'.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why the gently caress are you people not taking Trump at his word on what he wants to do as President? We've been through this poo poo over and over again

Trump won't run
Trump's not gonna win a single state
This is just a stunt, he's gonna drop out
Trump can't be the Republican nominee
Trump's gonna blow up before election day
Trump can't win

and now

Trump's not going to actually do the things he said he would

Donald Trump is president. The same Donald Trump that ran for election.

Mike Pence and the Yes Man crew are going to be the ones really running the show. So they'll probably talk him out of defaulting to show his negotiating power, but they're all in on getting rid of abortion and repealing Obamacare.

Trabisnikof posted:

So Mexico will pay for the wall?

Not with the tanked value of the Peso after Trump won.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wonder what Kendrick Lamar thinks about all this.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

fadam posted:

I know its impossible, but if Trump did build a wall and got Mexico to pay for it, would it actually be that bad for America?

would destroy sensitive environments and make drug/gun runners slightly more inconvenienced but it would mean billions in spending

of course any spending would be offset from medicare/medicaid/etc

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seriousquestion: How bad did our election just gently caress the mexican economy?
SEriousquestion2: Now that the peso is tanked, are we going to get more manufacturing jobs outsourced to mexico? (Friend of mine works in manufacturing, and part of his job already went, so hey.)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Quadrapellegiance posted:

I agree with this post. This will end up becoming a comedy goldmine over the next four years, and I cannot wait.

Glad you find the prospect of LGBT and non-whites getting hosed over for four years straight so hilarious. Personally I don't see the humor in it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remember Trump is super unfavorable and won with a lower vote count than any Republican before him, he just lucked out and Clinton was even less popular. The Republicans going scorched earth like it looks like they are gearing up for is going to damage the country incredibly (the environment is mega hosed) but there's only so much they can push before there is some push back. They don't really have the mandate they are pretending they do.

I'm hoping some of it can be undone but yeah a lot of people, both here and abroad, are probably going to die which is beyond terrible. :smith:

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 9, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Quadrapellegiance posted:

If the only way you can laugh is others suffering, you need psychiatric help. No joke.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

OWLS! posted:

Seriousquestion: How bad did our election just gently caress the mexican economy?
SEriousquestion2: Now that the peso is tanked, are we going to get more manufacturing jobs outsourced to mexico? (Friend of mine works in manufacturing, and part of his job already went, so hey.)

1) depends, nafta is a thing but automation killed all the jobs in america
2) yes, theoretically

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I never bothered to look into it because it always seemed to be the comedy option but....

What would be steps required to withdraw from NAFTA and/or revoke preferred trade status with China?

Because those are two things I can see him being 100% gung-ho on

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

fadam posted:

Are we under the assumption that Mexico paid for it willingly or by force?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is a good post and I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks. It took me a while. Last night I was dealing with anxiety. What I did when I feel anxious is that I learn and knowing helps me deal with my fear of unknowns. However bad Trump will be it's not the end of the world. Dems just need to get off their collective asses and take care of peoples' basic needs before dealing with social issues. No one cares if trans people are being oppressed if they can't put food in their bellies and keep a roof over their head. Racism is a thing and it's real and vile. I can't understate it. However so is not being able to feed your children.

Hillary was a known quantity. A technocrat. You knew what you were getting from her by and large because she was all about policy. Holy poo poo so much policy. Trump on the other hand is a bullshit artist. People wanted to roll the iron dice. They did. They got Trump. Now we see what happens. Is this bullshit artist going to keep being able to spin that bullshit? And will it be worth a drat? We'll see. If it isn't worth and a drat and his bullshit flies apart you'll see what happens. The republicans are fully married to Trump now good or bad. They'll rise or fall with him.

quote:

Thanks, this was a very enlightening post. Before reading it I found it hard to imagine people brushing off issues which I considered the most important, but I guess social progressive issues have to come after more basic needs are taken care of.

You're welcome. Glad it was read and heard. The peoples' needs in the rust belt are quite simple. Jobs and job stability. Good jobs. Or at least decent jobs. They need help and they need attention. Trade deals have been loving them for decades and they made it known. Almost all of their problems come directly from job loss, neglect and despair. Address that and you win their votes if not their hearts.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

OWLS! posted:

no because apparently there is plenty of evidence that Trump totally will stop private corporations from outsourcing jobs

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Radish posted:

Remember Trump is super unfavorable and won with a lower vote count than anyone Republican before him, he just lucked out and Clinton was even less popular. The Republicans going scorched earth like it looks like they are gearing up for is going to damage the country incredibly (the environment is mega hosed) but there's only so much they can push before there is some push back. They don't really have the mandate they are pretending they do.
Who's going to stop them?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BarbarianElephant posted:

If the only way you can laugh is others suffering, you need psychiatric help. No joke.

Unironically this.

Thankfully there are many options for comedy in this world, and the comedy circuit for the next for years is going to be FANTASTIC.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

1) depends, nafta is a thing but automation killed all the jobs in america
2) yes, theoretically

Awesome.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Who's going to stop them?

No one until 2020 probably. :(

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think the people who need psychiatric help are the people in this thread who are literally suicidal because Hillary lost bud.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Clinton wasa major supporter and its effects were felt under him. Why vote for the wife of Bill Clinton if you hold him responsible for your plight?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fadam posted:

I think the people who need psychiatric help are the people in this thread who are literally suicidal because Hillary lost bud.

Let's be fair, if the only way you can laugh is when you're reading a thread about politics on a dead gay comedy forum, you need some help pretty bad too.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

OWLS! posted:

Unironically this.

Thankfully there are many options for comedy in this world, and the comedy circuit for the next for years is going to be FANTASTIC.

Finally, liberal comedy will again be infused with the Bush-era Daily Show fire of actual plucky underdoggedness and resistance, rather than dicksucking establishmentarianism and screeds about microaggressions at the coffee shop

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

I never bothered to look into it because it always seemed to be the comedy option but....

What would be steps required to withdraw from NAFTA and/or revoke preferred trade status with China?

Because those are two things I can see him being 100% gung-ho on

China doesn't really have preferred trade status, they have the same status as almost any country we're not actively embargoing, and which doesn't have a specific trade agreement. More or less.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Radish posted:

Remember Trump is super unfavorable and won with a lower vote count than any Republican before him, he just lucked out and Clinton was even less popular. The Republicans going scorched earth like it looks like they are gearing up for is going to damage the country incredibly (the environment is mega hosed) but there's only so much they can push before there is some push back. They don't really have the mandate they are pretending they do.

I'm hoping some of it can be undone but yeah a lot of people, both here and abroad, are probably going to die which is beyond terrible. :smith:

They have 2 years to go hog wild before any hope of push back can happen.

Unless you're expecting John Roberts and the Supreme Court to be visited by the 3 Ghosts of Christmas this season.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fadam posted:

People don't do well when their lives become threatened, who knew!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MechaX posted:

Are we under the assumption that Mexico paid for it willingly or by force?

Well when pressed he did talk about seizing part of all of remittances so potentially ~24bn or so. Not a lot, but enough to start. He could also seize assets and accounts owned by Mexico or Mexican citizens.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

fadam posted:

Of course they do. As do you, if you really hold those feelings. Mental help can be for anyone! (Well, could be before it becomes prohibitively expensive)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Clinton was a major supporter and its effects were felt under him. Why vote for the wife of Bill Clinton if you hold him responsible for your plight?

If you hold Clinton responsible for your plight, it's because you chose to ignore the bottom falling out during Nixon through HW is the thing. The actual damage was done by them, including Carter.

The treaty didn't take any sort of effect until 1994 but people were still blaming it before it finished being negotiated in 1992.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gyges posted:

They have 2 years to go hog wild before any hope of push back can happen.

Unless you're expecting John Roberts and the Supreme Court to be visited by the 3 Ghosts of Christmas this season.

No like I said it's going to be mega bad but I think they can only go so far into dictator territory before something breaks.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Glazier posted:

Well when pressed he did talk about seizing part of all of remittances so potentially ~24bn or so. Not a lot, but enough to start. He could also seize assets and accounts owned by Mexico or Mexican citizens.

He also said that Mexico could pay for the wall because the US/Mexico trade deficit was so big, showing that he has no idea how trade deficits work.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
God, I wish America was a puppy and would learn not to poo poo on the floor by rubbing their face in it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ice Phisherman posted:

Thanks. It took me a while. Last night I was dealing with anxiety. What I did when I feel anxious is that I learn and knowing helps me deal with my fear of unknowns. However bad Trump will be it's not the end of the world. Dems just need to get off their collective asses and take care of peoples' basic needs before dealing with social issues. No one cares if trans people are being oppressed if they can't put food in their bellies and keep a roof over their head. Racism is a thing and it's real and vile. I can't understate it. However so is not being able to feed your children.

Hillary was a known quantity. A technocrat. You knew what you were getting from her by and large because she was all about policy. Holy poo poo so much policy. Trump on the other hand is a bullshit artist. People wanted to roll the iron dice. They did. They got Trump. Now we see what happens. Is this bullshit artist going to keep being able to spin that bullshit? And will it be worth a drat? We'll see. If it isn't worth and a drat and his bullshit flies apart you'll see what happens. The republicans are fully married to Trump now good or bad. They'll rise or fall with him.

You're welcome. Glad it was read and heard. The peoples' needs in the rust belt are quite simple. Jobs and job stability. Good jobs. Or at least decent jobs. They need help and they need attention. Trade deals have been loving them for decades and they made it known. Almost all of their problems come directly from job loss, neglect and despair. Address that and you win their votes if not their hearts.

Seriously, that was an excellent essay. Right more of them for the thread. Also I think Trump may end up as the Pete Wilson of the GOP. In thirty years they will curse his name.

fishmech posted:

If you hold Clinton responsible for your plight, it's because you chose to ignore the bottom falling out during Nixon through HW is the thing. The actual damage was done by them, including Carter.

The treaty didn't take any sort of effect until 1994 but people were still blaming it before it finished being negotiated in 1992.

You are right of course but it definitely did gently caress some communities over and it because the rallying cry against Neoliberalism.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crowsbeak posted:

Seriously, that was an excellent essay. Right more of them for the thread. Also I think Trump may end up as the Pete Wilson of the GOP. In thirty years they will curse his name.

With a bit of luck we won't have a GOP in the next 30 years. (shutup, I can dream)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

JawKnee posted:

Just to be clear, you believe Donald Trump and the Republicans are going to build a wall, from coast to coast, along the Mexican border?

Hell, I barely even care about the wall at this point. The rhetoric behind the wall has always been more damaging than the actual wall could possibly be. Stripped of that, at worst, it's a Keynesian boondoggle whose funds would be more efficiently applied to an actual infrastructure project.

• Locked thread