Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Three Olives posted:

Like I said before, the dog has caught the car. While the ACA is incredibly unpopular the majority of the provision are very popular and the rest of the stuff is just to make those provisions possible. I think reform is much more likely than repeal and replace because they all know it will be almost impossible to replace but when people start getting rescission letters it's going to be very, very bad for Republicans.

ACA is wired into the economy in a lot of ways now. The actual "repeal" is going to be a lot more than what they've been doing and a whole hell of a lot more complicated.

e: or they'll just leave it to the bureaucracy and the states and it will turn into a giant clusterfuck.

actually they'll probably do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

also you're going to have idiot kings like marco rubio trying to look important all the time to pad their resume for 2024

i think the senate is going to be way more of a mess than people believe

It's a Senate that includes Ted Cruz.

My god.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol if you think Senate dems have the balls to threaten a shutdown even if there wasn't a mad dash to kill the filibuster

We're hosed

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Hey, I did the math and RBG has a 71% chance of living to the 2020 inauguration!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

White woman in our parking lot with a trump sticker on her broken down car getting helped by a friendly black man who stopped with jumper cables.

America.
Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself. Even if our national institutions are all hosed now it's still possible to be a good American at an individual level. It's the only way we can get through this.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

theflyingexecutive posted:

He attached the jumper cables to her heart hopefully?

He was out front, the sticker was on the back, I was thinking of stopping and showing it to him and telling her that in Trump's America she's on her loving own, but my heart is not completely empty yet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Schnorkles posted:

ACA is wired into the economy in a lot of ways now. The actual "repeal" is going to be a lot more than what they've been doing and a whole hell of a lot more complicated.

e: or they'll just leave it to the bureaucracy and the states and it will turn into a giant clusterfuck.

:lol: like Republicans care

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol if you think Senate dems have the balls to threaten a shutdown even if there wasn't a mad dash to kill the filibuster

We're hosed

the calculation here isn't actually the dems, who i would expect to gracefully find a hill on and die, but the republicans. I'm not sure Flake, Cruz, Rand, Sasse, McCain, or Collins [as has been said] will actually want to get rid of the fillibuster. And good luck threatening a primary on any of them.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Party Boat posted:

didn't one volunteer to do it and after five seconds went "Jesus gently caress that's the worst holy poo poo I go back on everything I said about it"

also if it's no big deal why would it be effective in gaining intel, assuming we're now in the universe where any torture works???

Christopher Hitchens, at least.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Iron Crowned posted:

If you write a bill that says "We repeal this in the most expedient way possible, kthx" you leave the entire process and timing to the actual bureaucracy who will probably dig their heels in. It gets complicated.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

the calculation here isn't actually the dems, who i would expect to gracefully find a hill on and die, but the republicans. I'm not sure Flake, Cruz, Rand, Sasse, McCain, or Collins [as has been said] will actually want to get rid of the fillibuster. And good luck threatening a primary on any of them.

Trump is going to make Flake into literal flakes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah the only thing to look forward to now is how Republicans explain exploding HC costs and a zillion people dropping coverage aren't their fault immediately afterwards. Sooooooooo hosed.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/796479490213998593

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

this is smart imo

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i voted for idiot fascism because gbs was shut down

:eng101: against. See, when it gets down to brass tacks, Trump is the same pro-business center right New York City Democrat he's been for forty years. It's the Party that went fascist ideologue.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

this is smart imo

Of course it is. They have an obligation to work in the best interest of their members. Refusing to work with the president would not be meeting their obligation. That's a non-story. Clickbait headline.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Captain Internet posted:

Blame specialty drugs being incredibly expensive to develop and produce, insurance companies, through PBMs, negotiate the shittiest deals for both customers and pharmacies/doctors offices. Reimbursement rates are awful and the only ones making money are the insurance companies.

I'm most of the way through a biochem degree, currently work for a bank in a sensitive role, and take all sorts of weird prescription meds. You're only wrong about the very first bit; drug synthesis is pretty cheap most of the time - the big cost sink is research, which is still basically just alchemy with a pinch of real science sprinkled on at the end. We usually find exciting new molecules waaaaay before we figure out what they're good for. "Designer drugs" are bespoke little things that get built ground up after identifying the biological substrate you want to simulate or inhibit, but they're only an option when we actually understand the protein functions we're messing with first. That's still almost never.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Schnorkles posted:

The fillibuster is really tricky, and I'm not sure with the current make-up of the senate that there are 50 votes to get rid of it on the GOP side. It's useful, even for the majority party, in a whole lot of cases.

they'll go nuclear on scotus though.

They don't need to filibuster the Supreme Court, you need 60 votes to confirm (same for all fed. judges). The Republicans NEED Dem voters to get anyone.

I think this will be the thing the Democrats trade (if anything) in exchange for a "less than repeal" of Obamacare (rather than filibustering that vote).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Well, now I am nauseous in an exciting new way.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

oh yeah that's what I was thinking of

got a hearty laugh from this line

quote:

wondered whether I should tell them about the 15,000 cigarettes I had inhaled every year for the last several decades

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Schnorkles posted:

i cant help but think they'll find the stupidest possible way to do it that will tie the whole country up in uncertainty and court cases for years

like nothing, technically speaking, is preventing them from just saying "this law is now repealed lol". obviously in practical terms it'd be a loving nightmare hellscape but

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Schnorkles posted:

If you write a bill that says "We repeal this in the most expedient way possible, kthx" you leave the entire process and timing to the actual bureaucracy who will probably dig their heels in. It gets complicated.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah the only thing to look forward to now is how Republicans explain exploding HC costs and a zillion people dropping coverage aren't their fault immediately afterwards. Sooooooooo hosed.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

WMain00 posted:

Its great watching Babylon 5 happen in real life.

Who is Mr Morden in this version?

Roger Stone

for fucks sake mate

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Where is Cody 2?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

They don't need to filibuster the Supreme Court, you need 60 votes to confirm (same for all fed. judges). The Republicans NEED Dem voters to get anyone.

I think this will be the thing the Democrats trade (if anything) in exchange for a "less than repeal" of Obamacare (rather than filibustering that vote).

The senate is close, and when the senate is close, the senate is a shitshow.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/DanAmira/status/771716569818865664

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Party Boat posted:

didn't one volunteer to do it and after five seconds went "Jesus gently caress that's the worst holy poo poo I go back on everything I said about it"

also if it's no big deal why would it be effective in gaining intel, assuming we're now in the universe where any torture works???

yeah that was Mancow
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/archive/Mancow-Takes-on-Waterboarding-and-Loses.html

quote:

Turns out the stunt wasn't so funny. Witnesses said Muller thrashed on the table, and even instantly threw the toy cow he was holding as his emergency tool to signify when he wanted the experiment to stop. He only lasted 6 or 7 seconds.

"It is way worse than I thought it would be, and that's no joke,"Mancow said, likening it to a time when he nearly drowned as a child. "It is such an odd feeling to have water poured down your nose with your head back...It was instantaneous...and I don't want to say this: absolutely torture."

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

mormonpartyboat posted:

i cant help but think they'll find the stupidest possible way to do it that will tie the whole country up in uncertainty and court cases for years

like nothing, technically speaking, is preventing them from just saying "this law is now repealed lol". obviously in practical terms it'd be a loving nightmare hellscape but

doing anything, even repealing a law [actually especially repealing a law when the bureaucracy has spun up] in the american system is real hard and takes a real long time.

trump winning has not magically changed this

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/644338075527696384

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

no its not

the defining clip is the its always sunny cut of that clip

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cephalocidal posted:

I'm most of the way through a biochem degree, currently work for a bank in a sensitive role, and take all sorts of weird prescription meds. You're only wrong about the very first bit; drug synthesis is pretty cheap most of the time - the big cost sink is research, which is still basically just alchemy with a pinch of real science sprinkled on at the end. We usually find exciting new molecules waaaaay before we figure out what they're good for. "Designer drugs" are bespoke little things that get built ground up after identifying the biological substrate you want to simulate or inhibit, but they're only an option when we actually understand the protein functions we're messing with first. That's still almost never.

You should probably wait until you get that biochem degree before weighing in here. He was clearly talking about biologics, which are expensive as all hell both from a R&D perspective, and downstream processing costs per batch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr.Shadow posted:

I am just amazed that the Republicans did nothing but obstruct and pull useless crap like all the appeal attempts for the ACA, Obamas supreme court nominee, and they end up getting rewarded for it. Why is the average American voter so stupid?

The average person considers government to be ineffective, but lets elect the party that has been making it ineffective for these past 8 years, maybe they will do something....what the hell.

That's the thing, the GOP holds every branch now so they're going to do a lot of awful and right wing poo poo, which means they can also crow about how they make government work unlike useless Dems and Obama. Their idiot voters will lap it up too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

christ that laughing.

thats why white people who voted for obama voted trump.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
So is there a term for arzying but actually being correct the whole time?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SpRahl posted:

So is there a term for arzying but actually being correct the whole time?

berning

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Intel&Sebastian posted:

drat Obamacare! (Seriously this is what they will say)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

doing anything, even repealing a law [actually especially repealing a law when the bureaucracy has spun up] in the american system is real hard and takes a real long time.

perhaps you don't understand

bing bing bong bong, law repealed

pretty fuckin' easy

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You should probably wait until you get that biochem degree before weighing in here. He was clearly talking about biologics, which are expensive as all hell both from a R&D perspective, and downstream processing costs per batch.

biotech costs are absolute lunacy and i'm part of the problem~

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Agronox posted:

perhaps you don't understand

bing bing bong bong, law repealed

pretty fuckin' easy

poo poo

*corncobs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm surprised I'm not probated for how hard I was melting down earlier, and how hard I plan to continue melting down if any Hill Shill looks at me the wrong way.

• Locked thread