Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
2008 : The GOP is dead and will never win anything again
2016 : The Dem's are dead and will never win anything again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Schnorkles posted:

biotech costs are absolute lunacy and i'm part of the problem~

:same: well actually I work pretty cheap, and my company is developing platform technologies to streamline biologics processing, so maybe I'm part of the solution who knows

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hillary is Killface.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

:same: well actually I work pretty cheap, and my company is developing platform technologies to streamline biologics processing, so maybe I'm part of the solution who knows

I did quality for a long time.

why yes i do enjoy brain numbing repetition why do you ask

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Schnorkles posted:

ACA is wired into the economy in a lot of ways now. The actual "repeal" is going to be a lot more than what they've been doing and a whole hell of a lot more complicated.

e: or they'll just leave it to the bureaucracy and the states and it will turn into a giant clusterfuck.

actually they'll probably do that.

Yeah I totally agree. In addition to the well known parts there are a poo poo ton of regulatory poo poo that is already baked into the industry. Also they certain legislation got passed as a result of deals that can't be unwound.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hillary is Killface.

Fitting that Killer Mike hates her

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i miss waffle crisp and saturday morning cartoons

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I'm not discounting the idea that Trump does nothing his entire term but settle scores and try and personally enrich himself, he doesn't give a poo poo about trade deals or manufacturing or coal or anything that doesn't involve him.

Trump is a carnival barker that found a new mark, the white working class, he has no real ideology.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You had a bad day

Another one down

Sing a sad song and you turn it around

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Three Olives posted:

I'm not discounting the idea that Trump does nothing his entire term but settle scores and try and personally enrich himself, he doesn't give a poo poo about trade deals or manufacturing or coal or anything that doesn't involve him.

Trump is a carnival barker that found a new mark, the white working class, he has no real ideology.

Can Trump even unilaterally get rid of trade agreements? I figure the House and Senate would have a say, and though far right, they (even the Tea Partiers) are mostly Koch bought, and free-trade is sort of a big deal to those guys.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
how is trump going to deliver his state of the union address when twitter goes bankrupt

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Vladimir Putin posted:

Yeah I totally agree. In addition to the well known parts there are a poo poo ton of regulatory poo poo that is already baked into the industry. Also they certain legislation got passed as a result of deals that can't be unwound.

republicans having to put on their game day face as legislation stalls and their constituents begin to howl for blood will be a welcome respite.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Winkie01 posted:

November 8th, 2016: The GOP is dead and will never win anything again
November 9th, 2016 : The Dem's are dead and will never win anything again.

fixed

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Zas you are a good friend and I hope we are sent to the same salt mine

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

also unknown at the moment: how much time donald j trump and steve bannon waste on petty slap fights with paul ryan

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Schnorkles posted:

doing anything, even repealing a law [actually especially repealing a law when the bureaucracy has spun up] in the american system is real hard and takes a real long time.

trump winning has not magically changed this

it's only hard and takes a real long time if you're looking for a practical implementation that works. you need to consider a lot of poo poo and work with a lot of people and get a lot of signoffs. but when you have dogshit legislation that's being passed under moral imperative, you don't need any of that. the 9/11 aumf went from fever dream to signed legislation in what, two days? and thats a loving horrorshow of a law

the only brake on the repeal is whatever concern can be mustered by the republicans for the well-being of disadvantaged americans. even then, the whole "we will repeal every word of obamacare and replace it with ~something better~ later" is the accepted party line. then add in the "TRUMP IS GETTING BORED" timer ticking down already, and i can't see how there's any reasonable expectation of a practical drawdown and redesign

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Three Olives posted:

Like I said before, the dog has caught the car. While the ACA is incredibly unpopular the majority of the provision are very popular and the rest of the stuff is just to make those provisions possible. I think reform is much more likely than repeal and replace because they all know it will be almost impossible to replace but when people start getting rescission letters it's going to be very, very bad for Republicans.

It's going to be bad 2 months in early 2017, but by the midterms Democrats are going to be the ones getting pummeled for not supporting the repeal of Obamacare.

I'd expect a full repeal in the first 100 days, then later in the year they will pass the magic fix for all healthcare problems: getting rid of the lines around the states. Have a pre-existing condition that forces you take medications worth thousands of dollars a month? Increased competition from health insurance companies will have you covered! If they are really trying hard, they might even bend down the cost curve of prescription medications by eliminating some FDA regulations to drive down the cost of getting a drug to market.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

anime was right posted:

how is trump going to deliver his state of the union address when twitter goes bankrupt

he'll buy twitter and rename it trumper

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hillary is Killface.

Pretty apt, imo

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-nostalgic-simpler-era-18-hours-ago-54672

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

mormonpartyboat posted:

it's only hard and takes a real long time if you're looking for a practical implementation that works. you need to consider a lot of poo poo and work with a lot of people and get a lot of signoffs. but when you have dogshit legislation that's being passed under moral imperative, you don't need any of that. the 9/11 aumf went from fever dream to signed legislation in what, two days? and thats a loving horrorshow of a law

the only brake on the repeal is whatever concern can be mustered by the republicans for the well-being of disadvantaged americans. even then, the whole "we will repeal every word of obamacare and replace it with ~something better~ later" is the accepted party line. then add in the "TRUMP IS GETTING BORED" timer ticking down already, and i can't see how there's any reasonable expectation of a practical drawdown and redesign

I'm pretty okay with saying "I might be wrong here" but i just really doubt this moves quickly.

e: to be clear, they've promised ~something~, so something is gonna happen. As to what and how and what the time frame is, who knows.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

poo poo

*corncobs*

Seriously though, of the three legs of the ACA stool, two of them would be pretty easy to eliminate (guaranteed issue, individual mandate) and the remaining (subsidies) would be little more complicated, particularly in untangling and shutting down the exchanges, but still doable within a few months.

Hooray.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Hey, I did the math and RBG has a 71% chance of living to the 2020 inauguration!

Ah, so exactly the probability that Nate Silver gave Clinton in his final projection.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Seriously, this election is 100% Frisky Dingo. Bring on Cody 2.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Hillary Clinton for Hell

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Agronox posted:

Seriously though, of the three legs of the ACA stool, two of them would be pretty easy to eliminate (guaranteed issue, individual mandate) and the remaining (subsidies) would be little more complicated, particularly in untangling and shutting down the exchanges, but still doable within a few months.

Hooray.

Individual Mandate is 100% gone, so is probably guaranteed issue and lifetime maximums.

Don't get cancer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schnorkles posted:

They will absolutely push a supreme court justice through if the dems even sniff at a fillibuster, that's gone. And they'll ram through apointees in national courts.

But it's not at all clear they'll do it on everything.

If Obama had any spine he'd recess appoint every vacancy he can when Congress recesses to bring in the new class and leave on a "gently caress you obstructionist shits" note. He won't though, because at the end of the day he's a coward and a fool who believes in a political system that doesn't actually exist.

Schnorkles posted:

ACA is wired into the economy in a lot of ways now. The actual "repeal" is going to be a lot more than what they've been doing and a whole hell of a lot more complicated.

e: or they'll just leave it to the bureaucracy and the states and it will turn into a giant clusterfuck.

actually they'll probably do that.

Or they just repeal it wholesale and as everything implodes they go "yeah look see? Look at how bad Obamacare is!"

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You should probably wait until you get that biochem degree before weighing in here. He was clearly talking about biologics, which are expensive as all hell both from a R&D perspective, and downstream processing costs per batch.

Ok, yeah. Convincing e.coli to secrete cancer drugs isn't easy or cheap. I've got blinders on 'cause of my focus this semester, I withdraw my rambling objection.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Baloogan, please do the needful for me.

ATP_Power posted:

Baloogan prob me for 666hrs if trump wins TIA.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Obama had any spine he'd recess appoint every vacancy he can when Congress recesses to bring in the new class and leave on a "gently caress you obstructionist shits" note. He won't though, because at the end of the day he's a coward and a fool who believes in a political system that doesn't actually exist.

Or they just repeal it wholesale and as everything implodes they go "yeah look see? Look at how bad Obamacare is!"

:shrug: We'll see. Actually governing is a bit different from being the opposition party. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if they decide to scrap it all and just do it live.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Agronox posted:

perhaps you don't understand

bing bing bong bong, law repealed

pretty fuckin' easy

If Hillary had said bongs should be legal she would be President.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

mormonpartyboat posted:

except you're razor thin in the senate, so if a few senators like susan collins and jeff flake want something more controlled your bill goes nowhere

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Geostomp posted:

Miserable bootlicking by Fox News Sister Station. Please tell me how good you feel about the incompetent white supremacist who immediately cratered the economy.

All indicators and indexes up by the end of the day. You were saying?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The only problem with the truth that "Hey democrats will win again someday" is that every time republicans come into power they cause about 24 years worth of damage. We were actually doing really drat well at cleaning up most of Bush's mess (still got a lot of Reagan poo poo of course) and we could have gotten back to start if we had 4 more years. Who knows how much damage Trump and the shitheads are going to cause.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Montasque posted:

It was Jeb! levels.

Hillary was like the superpowered version of Jeb. Jeb was Trump's first boss and Hillary, the final boss, was a callback.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

pathetic little tramp posted:

The only problem with the truth that "Hey democrats will win again someday" is that every time republicans come into power they cause about 24 years worth of damage. We were actually doing really drat well at cleaning up most of Bush's mess (still got a lot of Reagan poo poo of course) and we could have gotten back to start if we had 4 more years. Who knows how much damage Trump and the shitheads are going to cause.

a lot

but drat the roads are gonna be pretty

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

except you're razor thin in the senate, so if a few senators like susan collins and jeff flake want something more controlled your bill goes nowhere

hopefully! but this is the year of lol nothing matters

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Schnorkles posted:

a lot

but drat the roads are gonna be pretty

Only because Mexico will pay for it, the gas tax ain't going up any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003