Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

legoman727 posted:

Oh god Planned Parenthood is gone too.

Absolutely loving toast. If congress takes longer than a month to pass a bill criminalizing abortion, I'll be stunned.

e. That is, a month after a new justice is confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

chumbler posted:

Yes. Democrats frankly have no option but to take the high road here. The party is in shambles and will wipe out what little remains of its chances to fix anything if they try to be obstructionist.

We all just imagined there was a democratic coalition, and now it's dissolving into infighting and purity battles without homophobia, racism, and misogyny to hold it together like the GOP had.

Obstructionism worked absolutely fantastic for the GOP, though. The last twenty years have demonstrated extremely well that obstructionism gets rewarded by the voters, while cooperating with the majority just pisses them off.

Harry Joe posted:

It's incredible really, being condescending and insulting towards ~50% of the population didn't work leading up to the election and in fact could probably be pointed to as to being one of the reasons Clinton lost the election to an overgrown oompa-loompa, yet here this thread is still doing the same thing as if that's going to convince anyone.

I'd be willing to bet a small but significant portion of the population voted Trump out of spite towards this kind of attitude from the left. It doesn't matter how wrong someone is, you won't convince them of that fact by calling them names or insulting their intelligence.

This is self-evidently stupid, because being condescending and insulting toward 60% or so of the population worked just fine for Trump. Where the hell did you hear this talking point from, anyway? I'd really like to know who's sowing the seeds of racism in idiot white progressives.

Ice Phisherman posted:

4. Trump isn't going to be able to pass laws. At least not the laws he wants. End of story. Why? Well it's the beauty of our democracy that the president can't introduce laws. The current republican establishment hasn't changed overmuch and still largely is bought and paid for. They also hate his rear end. He can stamp his feet all he wants but without congress' help he won't be able to get any of his platforms passed. Furthermore the democrats can still filibuster. Until that gets done in it's still a 4-4 supreme court and will probably stay that way until someone loving dies. Imagine a large amount of lower court decisions until someone dies. If there's anything the dems have learned from the republicans is that while you can't create political change, you can sure halt it by being obstructionist. At best he'll be able to roll back executive action and gut already existing federal institutions. Bad, but not as bad as it could be. He can also push for executive actions as well. The dems might actually push back. You never know.

5. Trump is going to have a magnifying glass on him for four years. All of his secrets are going to come out. He's probably going to be a scandal plagued mess of a president. Unless he can't actually "Make America Great Again", whatever the gently caress that means, is that the people who backed him years ago will reject him. He has impossibly large shoes to fill because he has promised people everything, often conflicting. Maybe people will be placated if he raises wages by driving away predatory trade agreements and by deporting illegal labor, but he's going to run into serious problems by not being able to fulfill basic promises.

I wouldn't be so sure. Look at how much the Republican establishment went to go fall all over Trump? Now that he's won, the party establishment is going to be putting the screws on Republicans to whip them in support of whatever Trump proposes. The GOP doesn't quite know how the hell he managed to pull off that win yet, but they're determined that whatever he did, they're going to let him keep doing it and follow his lead.

As for the magnifying glass, so what? He's already scandal-plagued; hasn't hurt him yet. When he doesn't accomplish anything, he'll just bust out his best con-man voice, give some speeches about how much he cares and how any failings are all the Democrats' or the RINOs' fault, and voters will go overwhelmingly for him in 2020 because Supreme Court justices, and also because he and Bernie managed to break the coalition of the left so thoroughly that whoever the Dems put up in 2020 will make Romney look exciting and fresh by comparison.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but Paul Ryan was on CNN just now giving a speech somewhere and he looks pale as gently caress. Like he done seen a ghost.

He is on the list. He knows this, he will be out as House Speaker. Also lets celebrate that Ayotte is gone.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well, it's a good thing the Republican Party is also wholly against comprehensive sex education that would teach young students about IUDs, and they're also against easily accessible (sometimes free) birth control that would help the lower class afford birth control!

Wait, that's not good at all.

On the plus side, there will soon be an oversupply of adoptable infants for infertile couples. On the negative side, we will need to rebuild the orphanages.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

On Terra Firma posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of organizations that people can volunteer with across different states? I refuse to just bitch about this on the internet. I just don't know where to go and my local dem party is in disarray right now.

Yeah, the organization is "Find Trump Voters and Ostracize The Living gently caress Out of Them Wherever They Are"

You don't have to sign anything, just go out, find them, and let them know every chance you get how much they are loving idiots and that they owe literally everyone that isn't a straight white male a loving apology, and don't back down.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

negromancer posted:

Yeah, the organization is "Find Trump Voters and Ostracize The Living gently caress Out of Them Wherever They Are"

You don't have to sign anything, just go out, find them, and let them know every chance you get how much they are loving idiots and that they owe literally everyone that isn't a straight white male a loving apology, and don't back down.

I meant like actually do something other than be angry. This isn't helping.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So who is going to Replace Paul Ryan? Cause he is out.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

disjoe posted:

Trump supposedly internalizes and parrots the most recent thing he's heard from someone else he works with.

Paul Ryan will be in the Oval Office every day.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but Paul Ryan was on CNN just now giving a speech somewhere and he looks pale as gently caress.

Wormtongue

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

On Terra Firma posted:

Yes, because it's not like it worked before.

That's what needs to be done. They need to be shown utterly and completely that their views and people like them are not acceptable in society. Period.

Coddling racists and sexists is what got us here. How about trying something different.

fadam posted:

Good luck in 2020 mate.

LOL if you think I'll still be living in this country when 2018 rolls around.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 10, 2016

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

negromancer posted:

Good luck in 2020 mate.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

On Terra Firma posted:

That's not the liberal way, see the anti-war movement 12 years ago. It did nothing, and translated into little more than dashed hopes when it hit the DNC's unwillingness to run anyone but a neoliberal cardboard cutout. Or the Walker recall, which again ended up with the DNC trying to run a neoliberal cardboard cutout (while the Dems were pushing similar poo poo to Walker in other states).

Obama is about the only thing the DNC didn't manage to gently caress up and it wasn't for lack of trying.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 10, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Paul Ryan is definitely 100 percent out. Anyone who shows disloyalty will be out in 2018.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

He can quit his job and then there will be one more job opening that the uneducated rust belt voters aren't qualified to fill and yet do nothing to actually better their situation like pick up a loving book or go to college or a trade school.

Ah yes. If only they had more college education milions of high paying jobs would magically appear.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

We lost the election because we treated white people like poo poo so what we're going to do is treat white people like poo poo until 2020.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

negromancer posted:

No one cares.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

fadam posted:

We lost the election because we treated white people like poo poo so what we're going to do is treat white people like poo poo until 2020.

white people are poo poo

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

fadam posted:

We lost the election because we treated white people like poo poo....
How did we treat white people like poo poo?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

fadam posted:

Please try to separate lovely white people from white people in general.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Crowsbeak posted:

8 million people who voted in 12 didn't vote in this election. This wasn't old Obama voters going Trump this was them sitting out.
How much of it was them sitting out and how much of it was the dismantling of the VRA?

Er, that wasn't rhetorical. I'm genuinely interested if that has been quantified at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but Paul Ryan was on CNN just now giving a speech somewhere and he looks pale as gently caress. Like he done seen a ghost.

I imagine there are a fair number of operatives on the right freaking out over Hillary losing. Their goal was to get the most damaged version of Hillary elected, not to actually empower Trump.

Hollismason posted:

So who is going to Replace Paul Ryan? Cause he is out.

Louie Gohmert

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

fadam posted:

Oh word, was that when we sent them all to FEMA camps beneath Walmart as part of Operation Jadehelm?

No but seriously, lets break this down. What have "we" done that constitutes treating white people like poo poo? Is it a phenomenon that expresses itself anywhere outside of tumblr and far left political discourse websites? Furthermore, who is "we"? I'm all ears.

Tell me about the oppression of the white man.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

joeburz posted:

white people are poo poo

Nah.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fadam posted:

Because if there's anybody in this country who's got the short end of the stick, it's white people.

Oh wait.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

fadam posted:

Thank goodness someone is finally thinking of the white people.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

fadam posted:

If only the feelings of racists and misogynists had been considered.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Dirt posted:

They will garnish your wages.

I mean if you don't work, yeah you can stick it to them I guess.

I'm cool with IBR for 25 years. That won't even touch the principal.

Trump could get rid of that too I suppose but I doubt it, worst case he would get rid of IBR for new borrowers (I think)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
white people are a reverse medusa by which if you take your attention from them for one second you immediately turn into stone

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

fadam posted:

Only white people are big enough bitches to think this was being treated like poo poo. Didn't get blown all day every day? The MONSTERS!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Ah yes. If only they had more college education milions of high paying jobs would magically appear.

Yeah, not like my field in particular isn't literally hurting for workers. Those 10 emails a day I get from recruiters nationwide must all be one elaborate prank.

fadam posted:

Yes, telling people voting for and supporting a white nationalist that they were being racist fuckgoblins is why we lost.

Maybe we should coddle their racism instead?

How about we assign them all a black person that does nothing but do all the work in their life for them! I'm sure they would love that!

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
One thing I think we all need to do is stop talking like 2020 is our next shot at doing something. 2018 is going to be a bloodbath as it is and right now in the wake of this hot mess of 2016 is the time to reinforce a message of "Remember this in 2 years, and get off your rear end and vote to stop it from getting worse"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bhaal posted:

How much of it was them sitting out and how much of it was the dismantling of the VRA?

Er, that wasn't rhetorical. I'm genuinely interested if that has been quantified at all.

That angle still isn't getting much attention, partially because people are reluctant to speak out about it while the various challenges and cases go through the system, partially because they don't want to seem like sore losers by criticizing the system after they spent months castigating Trump for claiming the system was rigged, partially because there's a distinct unwillingness to give the GOP any credit at all for this result, and partially because all obstacles to going hog wild with voter suppression have been completely removed so things are going to get a LOT worse from here on. The Voting Rights Act is dead, and the Democrats are going to pay dearly for letting the Republicans control the states.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

Yes, because it's not like it worked before.

That's what needs to be done. They need to be shown utterly and completely that their views and people like them are not acceptable in society. Period.

Coddling racists and sexists is what got us here. How about trying something different.

Let me help you out since you seen to be having some trouble. I'll admit that say 20% of Trumps supporters are actual racist white supremacist. The rest of them are people who got hosed by the government letting companies use free trade to suck wages and jobs out of this country. That includes a few million hispanics and blacks who voted for Trump. The fact that you can't seperate the two groups in your mind and insist on insulting as racist people who want structural economic reform is bizzare. People like you are the reason the Dems are going to lose again in 4 years.

And yes, its true that Donald is unlikely to provide any of that reform, but HIllary and the dems never even offered to try, and furthermore insist that anyone who asks for it must be a retarded racist.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Hollismason posted:

Paul Ryan is definitely 100 percent out. Anyone who shows disloyalty will be out in 2018.

I think all the disloyal Republicans could be back in with sufficient bootlicking. Watch Ryan crawl.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

Yeah, not like my field in particular isn't literally hurting for workers. Those 10 emails a day I get from recruiters nationwide must all be one elaborate prank.

Yes, telling people voting for and supporting a white nationalist that they were being racist fuckgoblins is why we lost.

Maybe we should coddle their racism instead?

How about we assign them all a black person that does nothing but do all the work in their life for them! I'm sure they would love that!

poo poo that didn't happen ect ect. What field are you in? Can it absorb a few million people after they go out and get their degrees? Will that glut of new talent drive down wages in the field? I would almost believe you've a republican with you attitude of "those poors just aren't trying hard enough"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Main Paineframe posted:

Obstructionism worked absolutely fantastic for the GOP, though. The last twenty years have demonstrated extremely well that obstructionism gets rewarded by the voters, while cooperating with the majority just pisses them off.

This is self-evidently stupid, because being condescending and insulting toward 60% or so of the population worked just fine for Trump. Where the hell did you hear this talking point from, anyway? I'd really like to know who's sowing the seeds of racism in idiot white progressives.

I wouldn't be so sure. Look at how much the Republican establishment went to go fall all over Trump? Now that he's won, the party establishment is going to be putting the screws on Republicans to whip them in support of whatever Trump proposes. The GOP doesn't quite know how the hell he managed to pull off that win yet, but they're determined that whatever he did, they're going to let him keep doing it and follow his lead.

As for the magnifying glass, so what? He's already scandal-plagued; hasn't hurt him yet. When he doesn't accomplish anything, he'll just bust out his best con-man voice, give some speeches about how much he cares and how any failings are all the Democrats' or the RINOs' fault, and voters will go overwhelmingly for him in 2020 because Supreme Court justices, and also because he and Bernie managed to break the coalition of the left so thoroughly that whoever the Dems put up in 2020 will make Romney look exciting and fresh by comparison.

or you could have voted for bernie sanders

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

chumbler posted:

If only the feelings of racists and misogynists had been considered.

I'm not saying its right or anything, but racists and misogynists vote.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bhaal posted:

It was down for both parties but more for the democrats. Black support was down, but Hispanic support was up, Whites down by 2%. HRC was not an inspiring candidate and sucked at getting people to vote.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
We are in the worst timeline.

quote:

individuals familiar with the Trump campaign’s thinking tell Foreign Policy the real estate tycoon’s cabinet is likely to include a mix of outside-the-box iconoclasts and establishment Republican allies, including even Bush-era foreign policy hawks.

Trump’s preference for political outsiders, especially those with private sector experience, has been reflected in his reported consideration of Forrest Lucas, co-founder of the oil products company Lucas Oil, as Interior secretary, and Steven Mnuchin, a Goldman Sachs alum, for Treasury secretary.

For secretary of state, a variety of names are under consideration, including Newt Gingrich, who loyally defended Trump through a range of controversies and gaffes during the campaign.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Let me help you out since you seen to be having some trouble. I'll admit that say 20% of Trumps supporters are actual racist white supremacist. The rest of them are people who got hosed by the government letting companies use free trade to suck wages and jobs out of this country. That includes a few million hispanics and blacks who voted for Trump. The fact that you can't seperate the two groups in your mind and insist on insulting as racist people who want structural economic reform is bizzare.

There's a big difference between white supremacists and people who are willing to scapegoat ethnic minorities for their economic problems. There are plenty of the latter even among black and Hispanic people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Let me help you out since you seen to be having some trouble. I'll admit that say 20% of Trumps supporters are actual racist white supremacist. The rest of them are people who got hosed by the government letting companies use free trade to suck wages and jobs out of this country. That includes a few million hispanics and blacks who voted for Trump. The fact that you can't seperate the two groups in your mind and insist on insulting as racist people who want structural economic reform is bizzare. People like you are the reason the Dems are going to lose again in 4 years.

And yes, its true that Donald is unlikely to provide any of that reform, but HIllary and the dems never even offered to try, and furthermore insist that anyone who asks for it must be a retarded racist.

Interesting, I was unaware that these forums functioned as a gateway between mirror universes.

Hillary and the Democrats repeatedly talked about bringing back good paying jobs, but were honest that they would be in different sectors. I mean, it's wasn't EMAILS, so maybe it's understandable you didn't hear about it while watching an empty Trump podium for half an hour.

• Locked thread