Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If you're an Office user, Office 365 is $100/year and includes 1TB of storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Medullah posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for best deal out there of the three? Familiar with all of them so it's just a matter of picking the best deal.

I know you say you're familiar, but it's not like price is the only factor. E.g. I have an internet quota so Dropbox's delta sync would be super awesome, but I'm too deep into the MS ecosystem to swap. OneDrive doesn't have file history except for Office documents IIRC. And so on.

Still... all the accounts go pretty much from free storage straight to 1TB, unless you really want drastically worse value for a fraction of the space ($2/mo for 50GB, etc.).
  • Onedrive is $70/yr for 1TB including up-to-date desktop Office apps for one person, $100/yr for five people (each getting their own 1 TB). It's more like a $70 yearly subscription to Office with 1 TB of space that only a minority of Office users will touch, let alone fill, but whatever. You also get one hour of free Skype and free live chat/phone support... meh.
  • Dropbox is $100/yr for 1TB with the normal Dropbox benefits.
  • Google Drive doesn't have an annual plan, but works out to $120/yr for 1 TB. Plus infinite free storage for photos and videos if you're willing to let it resave them with slightly-lower quality. It's the only one that lets you buy more than 1 TB of storage right now, and OneDrive just shrunk from unlimited to 1 TB, so they'll probably be the only choice if you plan to take up digital hoarding any time soon.

Honestly, didn't realise the OneDrive/Office deal was so cheap in comparison. I'm still coasting on grandfathered free bonuses though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Microsoft was/still is insanely generous with cloud storage stuff. My free Personal OneDrive account somehow has 100gb of storage associated with it, because I think I clicked some promotional link a year or two ago.

Meanwhile, I've done plenty of DropBox promotions and have like 6gb of storage.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Awesome, thanks guys. I've been a Dropbox user as my primary and have about 8gb which is perfect for my day to day but looks like Onedrive is the best fit for my needs. For some reason I thought they had gone to 100gb for $99 but a terabyte is perfect. Perhaps I'll even take advantage of Office 365 instead of using my 2010 promo copy I won't, I'm lazy

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
If you can tolerate a barely serviceable official client, Amazon Cloud Storage is unlimited for $60/year with a 3 month trial.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I can't wait for the day that gets set up as a viable Windows Backup target.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bobfather posted:

Microsoft was/still is insanely generous with cloud storage stuff. My free Personal OneDrive account somehow has 100gb of storage associated with it, because I think I clicked some promotional link a year or two ago.

I don't know if generous is a word I'd use to describe a company that offers a lot of storage and then takes it away in less than a year.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Last Chance posted:

I don't know if generous is a word I'd use to describe a company that offers a lot of storage and then takes it away in less than a year.

As much as I love OneDrive, I agree. Rather than hamfisting the thing, they should have just grabbed the small number of people storing hundreds of TBs of VMs and told them to cut that poo poo out.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
I'm trying to purchase Windows Server 2016 Standard. I contacted Microsoft but they don't seem to want my money.

Is this what I need?
Windows Server Standard 2016 - 16 core - OEM
Windows Server 2016 - 5 User CAL - OEM

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

For me, Dropbox is the only way to go because they do differential sync for larger files. I have a couple VM disks I store there (not regularly used but every once in a while), and syncing a full vmdk for minor changes would be insane.

OneDrive and Google do not do differential sync, at least when I looked into it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got a new NVMe drive for my laptop and I want to clone the old drive's data to the new drive, but I don't have another NVMe drive or adapter to plug the new drive into and just do it from the system and swap the drives. What would be the easiest way of getting my old data onto my new drive without plugging them both in? Create and image of the old drive?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Depends what your idea of easy is.

I'd probably plug in an external drive and use it as an intermediate copy. But this assumes you're just copying folders, not trying to preserve an OS.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Create and image of the old drive?
Yes. That's the same thing as cloning, but with an intermediate dumping of the data into a file.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Hey thread. I'm having big problems with OneNote suddenly: every time I try to create a new entry it crashes, and it seems to be unable to sync. This is on desktop, and it's been going on for at least a week. The only suggestions I can find online seem to relate to older versions. Anyone have any bright ideas how I might be able to salvage it? I actually need some of the stuff I've got on there, and I'd like to be able to use it again anyway.

e; wait - I just found 'OneNote 2016' that has also appeared, unannounced, on my machine. We'll see if that can sync. It seems to be trying a bit harder. e2; yep, that one's working. Panic over!

Flopstick fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 9, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes. That's the same thing as cloning, but with an intermediate dumping of the data into a file.

What software would you recommend to do this easily? I've only ever used Samsung's software that does drive-to-drive and comes with their SSDs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

What software would you recommend to do this easily? I've only ever used Samsung's software that does drive-to-drive and comes with their SSDs.
Macrium Reflect came up a lot in the SSD thread. For cloning, but I've used it for disk images as well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Flipperwaldt posted:

Macrium Reflect came up a lot in the SSD thread. For cloning, but I've used it for disk images as well.

Awesome, thanks!

Good lord, $70.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

s.i.r.e. posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Good lord, $70.

FYI - If you are just looking to clone a drive the free version is all you need.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

s.i.r.e. posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Good lord, $70.

Look for Macrium Reflect Free.

It's great software. On my system takes about 20 minutes to image 100+ gigabytes, and about 25 minutes to restore it. Was really helpful in helping me decide what OS to run on my HTPC.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Whats the cheapest way to get Win10? I have a win8 license from back in the day, and I can manage an edu discount if they offer one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Whats the cheapest way to get Win10? I have a win8 license from back in the day, and I can manage an edu discount if they offer one.

Install Windows 8 and upgrade it to Windows 10. Or install Windows 10 and put in your Windows 8 license key.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you don't mind lying to the button on this website, then this is the cheapest (read: free) way https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I thought that if you got Windows 10 media it would still take an 8 key.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mr. Fix It posted:

I thought that if you got Windows 10 media it would still take an 8 key.

It will.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

For now. We don't know when Microsoft will actually shut that off, but they can do it at any time. It especially seems likely that it'll go away with that next huge update that's due early next year.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I like that the situation is exactly as someone predicted (I can't remember the goon, sadly!), as in, the free upgrade deal would stop, but it actually wouldn't stop, and there would be no clear message about it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can someone recommend a windows CD cataloging software that will work with barcode readers and get all the info from barcodes etc.

Bonus points for:
- open source
- ability to act as a borrowing system so you can loan things in and out

My father in law is an anal bastard and a nerd and likes to believe he's "up to date" so i figure I could help him automate some things.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
My wife and I are preparing to start digitizing a bunch of documents going back years and years. What are our options for encrypted storage beyond just a big rear end zip file or something like that?

I'm kind of debating just using OneNote with password protection since it says it actually encrypts them but not sure if there's a better one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
7zip has strong encryption if you want to go down that route (a regular zip file doesn't), but it would be a pain in the arse to extract the archive and then recreate it every time you want to access it. You could use bitlocker if you have the pro version of windows, but otherwise for a free, very strong encryption option just use veracrypt - it's the successor to truecrypt, and has recently been through a security audit. You can encrypt a flash drive, or just create a crypt file on your PC. You could also create a crypt file and stick it on onedrive or Dropbox, if you want a cloud backup but don't trust a third party with the documents.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Zip uses AES these days doesn't it? That's as good as any other. But for an encrypted container to put stuff in, I'd use Veracrypt as suggested. It's quite slow to open the container file so keep that in mind if your usage case will require that to happen a lot, but I don't see why it would.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
7zip and winrar can do AES, but I don't think you can do it with the built in zip tool that comes with windows.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Standard Zip files don't support encryption, digital signatures, split files, or any compression methods other than plain deflate. Those are all proprietary extensions that other vendors might or might not support (although they are documented by PKWARE).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Falcon2001 posted:

My wife and I are preparing to start digitizing a bunch of documents going back years and years. What are our options for encrypted storage beyond just a big rear end zip file or something like that?

I'm kind of debating just using OneNote with password protection since it says it actually encrypts them but not sure if there's a better one.

I like the idea of using onenote as it'll let you search and organize better.

IIRC, MS says that they use AES-CBC (which is legit and good encryption)...but being closed source you're just taking their word for it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wouldn't Bitlocker be the most painless solution? Even if you have to upgrade to Windows Pro, it would probably still be worth it so you don't have to worry about weird third party encryption tools

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Depends on your threat model, Bitlocker is very good if you're worried about your hardware getting stolen but pretty much worthless if you're worried about bits getting stolen in transit or off a cloud provider or having your "My Documents" folder uploaded by some malware (and yeah that ignores whether or not the malware is keylogging or otherwise watching for decryption keys)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Am I just imagining this, or did previous versions of Windows allow me to pan audio sources left and right? Was this a thing back in XP or Vista, or did I just imagine it?

And more relevantly, is there any method tool which will allow me to do that? I'd love to get to a point where I can pan an audio source hard left or right. Is this even possible?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Am I just imagining this, or did previous versions of Windows allow me to pan audio sources left and right? Was this a thing back in XP or Vista, or did I just imagine it?

And more relevantly, is there any method tool which will allow me to do that? I'd love to get to a point where I can pan an audio source hard left or right. Is this even possible?

I don't think you can pan particular audio sources or applications, but the option to pan your speakers should still be there, buried in "Playback Devices" select the desired device, click Properties, Levels tab, then click Balance.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

On the surface it looks like Voicemeeter might allow you to pan different sources around.

Last Chance posted:

I don't think you can pan particular audio sources or applications, but the option to pan your speakers should still be there, buried in "Playback Devices" select the desired device, click Properties, Levels tab, then click Balance.
That's balance, not panning :spergin:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If that's my best option, then that's where I will look, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm looking for a bit of help. I've got a Asus Zenbook UX305 and i'm pretty sure the windows 10 Anniversary update has broken my touchpad.

It still works in basic functionality but the tracking feels a little off (when i click, the cursor moves) and the entire set of gesture abilities aren't working.

Anyone else had this issue or know how i could fix it (save for waiting on Asus to roll out some kind of update)?