Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Jazerus posted:

yeah real talk is that as much as a trump presidency is inconceivable, on a domestic policy perspective it's worlds better than a ted cruz presidency. trump's going into the presidency almost the way a third party candidate would, ready to use both parties for his own advantage, which is probably going to be 70% bad 30% good but ted cruz would have been 100% bad, so...

There won't be a difference between a Trump and Cruz presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Homework Explainer posted:

there's potential in black lives matter but if they don't get mass support the state will crush them

hey remember occupy and how the democrats treated them

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I don't know, man. It really did seem like somebody like zoux would post some screenshot from Reddit of a crazy Berner, a circlejerk of "lol, Berners sure are crazy!" would start, some people would push back about how representative redditors are and then the people pushing back would get hit with 6'ers for "starting a flamewar" or whatever, despite it being the Abuela cirlcejerk initiating things. I mean, ultimately, getting 6'ers for disagreeing with Tatum and Deteriorata isn't a big deal but whew the moderation was kind of bad for a while there. Last Girl is cool and Baloogan (who knew?) is actually pretty good but, lol, zoux was an IK for a while, 6'ing anybody who didn't love Abuela.

Zoux was an exception and I agree 100% that he was bad. That's why he was banned and cast out, forever. But otherwise we are honestly working towards making C-SPAM a good place to post for everyone and the wide range of political positions helps us keep this fair.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jazerus posted:

yeah real talk is that as much as a trump presidency is inconceivable, on a domestic policy perspective it's worlds better than a ted cruz presidency. trump's going into the presidency almost the way a third party candidate would, ready to use both parties for his own advantage, which is probably going to be 70% bad 30% good but ted cruz would have been 100% bad, so...

this is assuming fema death camps are not in the cards, that would be worse than ted cruz

republicans control congress and trump has the attention span of a goldfish. he'll sign whatever mcconnell puts in front of him

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i, for one, think calming down and being reasonable, thinking of our future with a sense of tranqil, collected hope, and enjoying the beauty and perhaps overall insignificance of our curious lives, is incredibly loving booj, eat poo poo.

you still dont have to be on the internet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i, for one, think calming down and being reasonable, thinking of our future with a sense of tranqil, collected hope, and enjoying the beauty and perhaps overall insignificance of our curious lives, is incredibly loving booj, eat poo poo.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

:allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Every few hours the weight of what just happened hits me afresh. Can't quite escape the state of disbelief.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

2018: Trump pours billions to fund "the Ant computer thing"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

republicans control congress and trump has the attention span of a goldfish. he'll sign whatever mcconnell puts in front of him

you are still underestimating idiot cheeto hitler

i expect a few things trump actually wants are going to be anathema to a wide swathe of republicans at some point

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Just of the top of my head,

Sheng-ji: Bernie to Stein
Maclaine: ???
logikv9: Clinton
Lastgirl: Bernie to Clinton
Baloogan: Trump to Clinton/chaos
Nonsense: Bernie to ???

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

logikv9 posted:

The poll data failed. All meaningful metrics of data failed. The only metric that saw this coming was this ear-to-the-ground highly anecdotal evidence that floated around, and that is functionally indistinguishable from your standard echochamber-repeat.

I still trust polls and data collection. It will simply adjust to compensate for the new reality.

Metrics are only useful if you're measuring the right things, and if those things are more stable as individual data points than the combined influence of any uncontrolled factors. The data to predict this result was out there, it just wasn't viewed as significant. Evangelicals deciding en masse that "moral character" was no longer important in a candidate was internalized by the left as "lol, hypocrites" instead of "oh gently caress a rapist is more palatable than a Mormon." Aggressive police action against minorities and the responses of minority communities to them left a majority of whites annoyed at the inconvenience rather than repulsed. The rallying cry of the GOP (pro and anti Trump) was curiously cohesive - "vote your conscience." And rather than trying to figure out exactly what that meant - and the questions to illustrate an accurate answer WERE being asked, just not connected - the DNC made an ultimately fatal assumption.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Had to comfort my wife. Had to comfort people having panic attacks. Nearly punched a higher rank NCO because 'well, Hillary committed something kinda like treason.'

My only solace is the ability to tell people 'I told you so' while I ride out the storm. And hopefully make some loving progress in the coming years.

Just...gently caress.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Every few hours the weight of what just happened hits me afresh. Can't quite escape the state of disbelief.

Uhoh you are caught in a grief cycle

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jazerus posted:

you are still underestimating idiot cheeto hitler

i expect a few things trump actually wants are going to be anathema to a wide swathe of republicans at some point

the president doesn't propose laws he can hem and haw all he loving wants but at the end of the day mcconnell, pence and maybe, maybe ryan are running the show

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Man Musk posted:

Are there any meme's yet in a Trump America

reality is the meme now

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm in the middle of a liberal city on the west coast and I feel like shiiiiiiiiiit today. I can't even begin to think how this feels if you're in some area where you're getting stunted on in real life or are justified in being fearful in a non federal way.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

GrimGypsy posted:

oh my god if he wins re-election I'll be in my loving 40s before Trump is gone forever

Ivanka!

ThndrShk2k posted:

Hahahaha nice.

No-confidence spoiled more than 3rd party.

Is this blame game really going on? Gary Johnson is a former Republican governor, and only one of five former Republican presidential candidates voted for Trump. Other than Stein, who got like three votes, shouldn't the "neither" options break against Trump?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nmHymgM7Y

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Raskolnikov38 posted:

at the end of the day mcconnell, pence and maybe, maybe ryan are running the show

A comforting thought, to be sure.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah I almost forgot how Ted Cruz betrayed Trump

so at least we have 4 years of ted cruz getting owned to look forward to

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

After long consideration I have decided -of all the people to blame- we should blame white people

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Thank you to the goon(s) that kept posting "death is certain" last night....you got me through the worst of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wonder if Lindsey Graham realize that he's probably kind of hosed, and not in the Fun way, and go down loving because of what happened to McCain and whatever, or at least just own the antagonism

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

After long consideration I have decided -of all the people to blame- we should blame white people

specifically white women

specifically this white woman

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Harald posted:

oh yeah I almost forgot how Ted Cruz betrayed Trump

so at least we have 4 years of ted cruz getting owned to look forward to

He came back at the end. Cruz knew . He saw the Halloween mask futures

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jazerus posted:

this is assuming fema death camps are not in the cards, that would be worse than ted cruz

Honestly a Trump presidency is probably preferable to any other GOP candidate. Almost all of the things that a progressive fears would have come true under any one of them but at least with Trump there is an intra-party power struggle that will make enacting policy more difficult. Plus I'd argue that from a policy standpoint Trump is not an ideologue which is something you can't say about any other GOP candidate. You might not like the things he believes in, but he isn't a party shill--he's actually a true believer. That means that he'll be unwilling to compromise on those things, which is basically the enemy of actually getting them through.

Granted this is glass-half-full talk.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

specifically white women

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

specifically white women

Aye she is one of many

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Get me Salman Rushdie

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm in the middle of a liberal city on the west coast and I feel like shiiiiiiiiiit today. I can't even begin to think how this feels if you're in some area where you're getting stunted on in real life or are justified in being fearful in a non federal way.

Anyone who lives in a state that doesn't have state human rights laws and an economy strong enough be ranked as a country is screwed

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Winkie01 posted:

2008 : The GOP is dead and will never win anything again
2016 : The Dem's are dead and will never win anything again.

2024: my loved ones are dead and will never vote for anything again

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

we've failed the people we should care most about because we ceased being willing to fight for them, to even fight against them for their own sake

we've let their minds be destroyed and their livelihoods be taken away from them

they voted for the rich on the assumption that they were voting to eat the rich and we let it loving happen

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
we joked how fast the right turned on Romney but man, it's pretty drat therapeutic now that the shoe is on the other foot

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

euphronius posted:

agreed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-AMYos0Js

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So after all this we are the ones considering violent revolts.

Great, good to know that we got this far...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Winkie01 posted:

2008 : The GOP is dead and will never win anything again
2016 : The Dem's are dead and will never win anything again.

Now: I want to die and never do anything again

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not clicking what is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyLtMPuWRA

LastInLine posted:

Honestly a Trump presidency is probably preferable to any other GOP candidate. Almost all of the things that a progressive fears would have come true under any one of them but at least with Trump there is an intra-party power struggle that will make enacting policy more difficult. Plus I'd argue that from a policy standpoint Trump is not an ideologue which is something you can't say about any other GOP candidate. You might not like the things he believes in, but he isn't a party shill--he's actually a true believer. That means that he'll be unwilling to compromise on those things, which is basically the enemy of actually getting them through.

Granted this is glass-half-full talk.

This is the-glass-of-ebola-acid-is-only-half-full talk.

• Locked thread