Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Remember when Solid Snake had to deal with the ape crisis?

E: poo poo, I mean Big Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Minidust posted:

Thanks all for the Bloodborne DLC info! I'm actually sitting on a sealed copy of Bloodborne. I'll probably return that and buy the complete digital version instead, since it now comes out to slightly cheaper than what I paid for physical + the sale DLC price.

Any thoughts on Grandia or Legend of Dragoon? I'm kinda fully loaded on portable JRPGs, but these are cheap enough to have me curious.

I liked Grandia enough (2 is the best, and 3 is a game that I liked, yes), so I could recommend it, if only for the battle system and the wonderfully HORRIBLE PS1 dub.

LoD put me to sleep more than once. I genuinely think it's a bad game, but I mght be willing to try it again now that I'm older.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Minidust posted:

Thanks all for the Bloodborne DLC info! I'm actually sitting on a sealed copy of Bloodborne. I'll probably return that and buy the complete digital version instead, since it now comes out to slightly cheaper than what I paid for physical + the sale DLC price.

Any thoughts on Grandia or Legend of Dragoon? I'm kinda fully loaded on portable JRPGs, but these are cheap enough to have me curious.

LoD was considered superb at release and has aged extraordinarily badly. Steer clear.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sefal posted:

I grew up playing the metal slug games back in the arcades. I want to recommend the anthology. but i cannot. The slowdown or framerate in metal slug 1 is unforgivably bad. 2-4 seem to be better but I still feel some lag.

But it is deff acceptable for a casual. You can select the difficulty from easy , normal to hard and you have infinite credits.

Gotcha, maybe I'll wait for the standalone version of 3 to go on sale, I have enough in the backlog.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Legend of Dragoon had an interesting take on its battle system. It's Fantasy Power Rangers, and I feel it's somewhat generic these days as far as narrative. that said, I haven't tried to play it in 7+ years.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is the greatest wrestling game ever made, at $4 it's an absolute steal. Had no idea it was ported until now.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

morallyobjected posted:

did you buy the year recently, and are you sure that the one year left wasn't pending while they were trying to charge for the auto-renewal?

a week ago, I would have considered getting this, because I've enjoyed Bloodborne a lot (last time I played, I had just beaten The One Reborn), but World of Final Fantasy is taking up all my time now, and with FFXV coming out this month, I don't know if I'll get back to Bloodborne any time soon.

Nope, I added it to the account in 2014. For the past two years my PS3 has properly displayed the end date as November 2017 but now my PS4 is saying November 2016. Sony!!! :argh:

Some people on Sony's support forums are saying that this is a known issue and should correct itself. That would have been small consolation had Sony successfully charged me.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Guw posted:

This is a pretty great sale. Picked up a lot of psx games, Ape 2 and Heavy Rain + Two Souls (the latter which I may never play despite loving HR).

You should definitely play Two Souls. It's a lot of fun to play the ghost as a gigantic rear end in a top hat and gently caress with people. Choose to fly into a rage and burn everything to the ground when it gives you the option. Playing the ghost as a nice guy is super boring.

...! fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 9, 2016

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

How is Ape 2? I never played the Ape Escape games when they were new--do they still hold up for some quick fun today?

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

I love Ape 1 and 2 dearly to this day.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I still like Legend of Dragoon but that may be the rose colored glasses, that was like one of my first PS1 games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxxidation posted:

LoD was considered superb at release and has aged extraordinarily badly. Steer clear.

It was considered a subpar FF7 rip off at release

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hey, if you're looking for a virtual world to plug into to forget about the real world, the Vita deluxe launch bundle of the new SA:O game seems to also give you the PS4 equivalents, at least on the Canadian store. The store page says it's over 20 gigs, even. A fuckup, I'm guessing?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Sakurazuka posted:

It was considered a subpar FF7 rip off at release

I remember liking the timed hits aspect of the combat and the Power Rangers mechanic when it came out (when I was a dumb high schooler) but I remember absolutely nothing about its storyline which is probably not a good sign.

univbee posted:

Hey, if you're looking for a virtual world to plug into to forget about the real world,

Why what happened did Hillary do a faux pas during her acceptance speech?? *starts sipping water*

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
axiom verge on sale for ten euros, worth it? I've been eyeing that game for a while.

edit: there's also a sale on heavy rain and beyond two souls but i haven't always heard good things about those games. (15 euros for both)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 9, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it was a pretty bad Metroid clone but lots of other people seem to like it so :shrug:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I felt like the kid in the Emperor's New Clothes while playing it - it's just so dull.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I was also wondering about PS2 classics, since a bunch of them are on sales. They have a lot of rpgs on there, Wild Arms 3, Arc the Lad, Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicles, Okage...

Any of those must haves? I already played Rogue Galaxy.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I was also wondering about PS2 classics, since a bunch of them are on sales. They have a lot of rpgs on there, Wild Arms 3, Arc the Lad, Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicles, Okage...

I love Wild Arms 3, and if Dark Cloud 2 is the same thing as Dark Chronicle (which google says it is), that game is fantastic.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
If I log into my friends PS4 can I download games and play them as long as I'm logged in or do I have to make that console the primary for that?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you are logged in it will be fine. primary means you can play without being logged in

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

Okage is cute as gently caress.

Wa3 has a bad crash bug if you use magic lol

Dark cloud is charming as hell

Arc the lad is really slow

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WA3 only crashes in a couple of specific areas and it's relatively rare, still sucks it hasn't been patched though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Truspeaker posted:

I love Wild Arms 3, and if Dark Cloud 2 is the same thing as Dark Chronicle (which google says it is), that game is fantastic.

Real hurthling! posted:

Okage is cute as gently caress.

Wa3 has a bad crash bug if you use magic lol

Dark cloud is charming as hell

Arc the lad is really slow

Thanks, you don't need to play dark cloud before dark cloud 2?

How's Gravity Rush HD?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks, you don't need to play dark cloud before dark cloud 2?

How's Gravity Rush HD?

grav rush is awesome. some people are dissappointed because its a handheld remaster for console but its still awesome.

dark cloud 2 is an entirely different game from dark cloud one. it shares similar themes and mechanics but is so much more complicated in every way and is drawn out by the story (which has some great characters and amazing moments btw) that it plays and feels completely different and both games are good in their own right if you can put up with annoying early ps2 annoyances.

the orginal just has a simple charm to it that really only dragon quest builders has recaptured for me since.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
How are Suikoden III, Broken Age, Towerfall Ascention?

I keep hearing from RPGphiles that I should get Xenogears, but is it that good?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

xenogears is pretty good, although the second disc falls off and is sorta weird and scattered. suikoden 3 is like the slowest rpg of all-time, i enjoyed it back then but tried to replay a few years ago and couldn't handle that. it's not as good as the first two games but still pretty decent, especially if you like suikoden games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anora posted:

Suikoden 2 is better
Broken age is skippable for any of the real classic LA adventure games on psn
Towerfall is fun if you have a willing coop partner to play with
Xenogears is really sweet but also an old long rpg you probably will not finish ever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anora posted:

Broken Age starts off real good but then takes a nosedive in the second half because they amp the difficulty up to an annoying degree.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Also I don't like the direction the story took in the second half. It's a good premise but the execution was flawed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xenogears is a weird game because once you get to a certain point in the story the devs basically throw up their hands and go "We ran out of time and money, sorry!" So a big chunk of the end game story is narrated to you by characters sitting on a chair, with light cutscenes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well they had their budget funnelled away to prop up the struggling FF8 development so sort of.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Well they had their budget funnelled away to prop up the struggling FF8 development so sort of.

They pulled money from a big, ambitious RPG so they could finalize two mediocre ones. I liked Xenogears. :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Real hurthling! posted:

grav rush is awesome. some people are dissappointed because its a handheld remaster for console but its still awesome.

Is there a problem with the port? Or is it a matter of principles?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I love Xenogears for being the Ur-90s anime JRPG, it's so ambitious and tries to do so much but just falls short in some aspects. It's not really that long of a game, like Dragon Quest 7 is a long-rear end 90-hour JRPG but Xenogears' big deal is that it has slow text speed, no cutscene skips, and near the end likes to stick boss battles at the end of long dialogue sequences. It's such a bizarre game, but I love it warts and all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The port of GR is really good and honestly it's better to play than the original because it gets rid of all the gyro and touch screen bs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

Its just an open world game with a smaller scope than most modern console games. The vita quirks give it a lot of great character that wouldnt have existed without experimenting on the unconventional hardware and its port it excellent with a solid new control scheme thats better than on the vita. If you havent played it i would get it, just dont expect a huge adventurre

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kurtofan posted:

It just feels slightly barebones, because it was a game that pushed the Vita to its limits instead of feeling like a AAA blockbuster title. It's still fun and charming and delightful, but there are some people who expected it to feel like an immersive living world or something like that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gravity Rush 2 is gonna be awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Gravity Rush 2 is gonna be awesome

Hell :yeah:

• Locked thread