Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, generic pulpy alien worlds are automatically cooler than metal-walled military complexes, especially if they're actually bright and colorful!

Also, drat, I'm fighting the liberals? Where's the option to join up with them?

Yeah interesting worlds are important in exploration games, I just think the idea of a secret ultra liberal uprising is especially hilarious right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

The idea of an ultra liberal shadow army hiding in a high tech bunker with a gigantic airship underneath a lake is weirder than anything in metroid

not so surprising when you have Orson Scott Card as the writer though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CJacobs posted:

http://puu.sh/sd22I/4f2c174dfb.webm

Made lots of progress today and yesterday. Implemented a working dialogue/text popup system, buying and equipping new weapons, and boss enemies. Next up is working on locking rooms, adding keys and switches, and making the boss' death open doors. Then I'll have all the mechanics for the dungeon crawler part of the game in place!

(Debug stuff is usually gonna be colored red, the game will stick 100% to the 4-color palette I'm using when it's all done. The red is just so I remember to change/remove it later)

Now that looks pretty cool and functional! I got worried that the big skeleton had the same sword of debug as you did, so whenever he'd hit you you'd die.

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah interesting worlds are important in exploration games, I just think the idea of a secret ultra liberal uprising is especially hilarious right now

Axiom Verge may have had the stupidest story I've ever seen, but the worlds you explored more than made up for it. What a cool game that was.

Also I admit it, I was super, mega-bummed when I discovered that I wasn't playing as the girl rescuing the dumb guy from being mistaken as a spy. That would have been cool, but instead we got generic mcyawnface in a boring world and I guess I'll play more, but I'm glad I got it for a dollar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Now that looks pretty cool and functional! I got worried that the big skeleton had the same sword of debug as you did, so whenever he'd hit you you'd die.

Thanks. Nah, the red sword he has is just a test of using the same sprites for different enemy types. The big skeleton uses the exact same sprite as the normal guys, but sized up 2x at runtime. That way I save on space and memory by not having to actually make 45 sprites that are just the same as the little guys but a different size!

edit: Also the player doesn't have health yet so they can't die. I'm implementing that one last because I'm sure creating a death state for the player and what to do after that is gonna be pretty hard.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 10, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
CJacobs your video was cool. Good on you for opening up like that, good on you for having a positive attitude.

I did not in fact have time to play the Witcher this afternoon and now I have a strange urge to play some modded to all hell Skyrim.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm watching a documentary called Beep. It's about game audio and its history. It's really interesting and has a ton of different interview subjects.

So add it to the small but growing list of good video game documentaries. Snooze says you won't snooze when watching it!

Well you might because it's a bit dry but seriously its cool stuff.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm probably going to be reinstalling Windows 7 soon. Got a weird registry bug that means I can never install my favorite Sims 3 expansion again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought Axiom Verge had an interesting world but felt awful to play and while Shadow Complex looked generic it came closer to nailing the feel of Metroid games than anything else I can think of, so I much preferred that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm playing Shadow Complex for the first time and the relatively grounded military sci-fi feel is still fairly unique as far as metroidvanias go, I'm enjoying it.

Looper posted:

not so surprising when you have Orson Scott Card as the writer though

That's why I love the Humble Bundle and its ability to choose where you your money goes. It's the only reason I own Shadow Complex, Fez, and Borderlands 2.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought Axiom Verge had an interesting world but felt awful to play and while Shadow Complex looked generic it came closer to nailing the feel of Metroid games than anything else I can think of, so I much preferred that.

I thought Axiom Verge was great as long as you ignored the Metroid voice in your head that said "bombdrill all the bloooocksssss"

100%ing AV looked godawful but just playing through it was Aces

(e) I suppose gameplay's a different concern from the aesthetic tho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually I can say the same thing about Environmental Station Alpha, the game was aces too but uh holy poo poo that obscure rear end post-game and 100%+ requirements :stare:

Thank god for Smite's LP on that one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

same. progression was hosed and you get all the movement upgrades worth a drat way to late. grapple hook is garbo. bosses are garbo. sound design is horrible.

game is very obviously a one man job that could have used some extra input

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I enjoyed Axiom Verge one time through as a janky Metroid NES love letter but there is no desire for a second play.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I enjoyed Axiom Verge one time through as a janky Metroid NES love letter but there is no desire for a second play.

Yeah, same. My interest died pretty much when I learned that there are randomly placed glitch areas with random items.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ciaphas posted:

Actually I can say the same thing about Environmental Station Alpha, the game was aces too but uh holy poo poo that obscure rear end post-game and 100%+ requirements :stare:

Well shiiiiiiiiiit. I was thinking of finishing ESA off my backlog. haha.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anyone else enjoy a rousing game of Sims 3 up in here?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Lizard Wizard posted:

my favorite thing about the sims is when my sim has a more successful and rewarding life than I do.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I do! Even if it gets annoying trying to juggle the fun activities with sending your sims off to work/keeping them alive.

It's a good game to read books to, with all the load screens.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leper Residue posted:

my favorite thing about the sims is when my sim has a more successful and rewarding life than I do.

Even though tons of people have done funny stuff with The Sims, the funniest will always be that episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Malcolm plays a knockoff Sims game and simulates his family, and the whole family is unbelievably happy and successful but the Malcolm Sim is miserable, friendless and takes up cutting and drug abuse.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Even though tons of people have done funny stuff with The Sims, the funniest will always be that episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Malcolm plays a knockoff Sims game and simulates his family, and the whole family is unbelievably happy and successful but the Malcolm Sim is miserable, friendless and takes up cutting and drug abuse.

Sims can self-harm? :stare:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Axiom Verge for a while but the bosses get really terrible and exploring becomes really not fun, even after you get the cool traversal abilities. I really wanted to like that game but it just becomes sort of bad as it goes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sims can self-harm? :stare:

Considering Malcolm's older brother's Sim became "the king of China", I don't think it was a fully accurate representation of the real life product.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also the Odin Sphere remake continues to be amazing and it's nice that while I'm playing it I'm mostly not thinking about how Trump is now president elect.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Considering Malcolm's older brother's Sim became "the king of China", I don't think it was a fully accurate representation of the real life product.

Oh.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I enjoyed Axiom Verge for a while but the bosses get really terrible and exploring becomes really not fun, even after you get the cool traversal abilities. I really wanted to like that game but it just becomes sort of bad as it goes.

Agreed. I kind of felt like I was done after I did the entire temple area, got a new ability, and discovered I was plonked back on the giant map with no clue where to go next. There's the wonder of exploration, and then there's the frustration of jamming my new guns against walls until I find the way to progress to new stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also the Odin Sphere remake continues to be amazing and it's nice that while I'm playing it I'm mostly not thinking about how Trump is now president elect.

Did you get to Mercedes part yet, she's the funnest character to play as and turns it into RPG Contra/Gradius/2D anime Max Payne.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Did you get to Mercedes part yet, she's the funnest character to play as and turns it into RPG Contra/Gradius/2D anime Max Payne.

That's where I am now. I've always been more of a hack n slash person so I did like the other sections better but that isn't to say playing her isn't loads of fun. Also she has the lightest of the stories, so it's good on a day like today.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

i loved every character except oswalt. he felt like a huge step backward after all the other characters had changed things in interesting ways

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Sims Medieval is my favorite version of Sims 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

i loved every character except oswalt. he felt like a huge step backward after all the other characters had changed things in interesting ways

Yeah same, felt like they deliberately made his normal damage to suck so berserk mode seemed better, didn't help that I hated him as a character too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkeV8bp6sT8

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Lizard Wizard posted:

The Sims Medieval is my favorite version of Sims 3.

If I recall correctly, the Knight can just like straight up murder dudes

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Me, last night, coming home from work and seeing the election results:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This cheered me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onzu_r-O7YA

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

This actually looked like a really fun game but it would always crash on my system so I had to get it refunded

Wonder if they fixed that

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's been patched a ton since it came out so maybe. he's still adding stuff to it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yo, in case you needed another reminder that goons are good, there's now an Activism thread over in C-SPAM.

This looks like....horizontal scrolling Touhou, but with a rabbit girl? Wha?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

It's so goooood I'm excited to see what Vanillaware does next now that they've finally gotten a handle on good gameplay

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

This looks like....horizontal scrolling Touhou, but with a rabbit girl? Wha?

Rabi-Ribi, it's on steam and eventually ps4 and vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looper posted:

It's so goooood I'm excited to see what Vanillaware does next now that they've finally gotten a handle on good gameplay

It felt kind of repetitive and meh to me on the vita

But maybe that's because by the time I bought it my eyes had stopped not responding to portables with horrid headaches so I could only play a bit at a time anyway

(ed) Actually now that I have a PS4 I can just play it there with the same license I bought already for the Vita, right?

• Locked thread