Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

KodiakRS posted:

RE: Political captain

I had to resort to the nuclear option:

"Are you ever going to call for the auto pilot on?"
"Not until you stop gloating about Trump."

...and for the next 45 minutes not a single unnecessary word was said. I'm awaiting the call from pro standards.

I ... don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

What the gently caress else are you going to talk about or do on the deck? Take pictures of your dong at FL40?

I try and find some common ground with whoever I'm flying with. Topics like books, movies, TV, food, things to do in (place name), war stories, etc... are usually enough to cover a trip, and it generally makes life easier on the flight deck. It also helps that our management have managed to piss off essentially the entire pilot group over the last few months, so their latest harebrained scheme for staffing the airline is also a common topic of conversation, since "our management are idiots" isn't controversial here.

The fact that we also run very short stage lengths (mostly under an hour) on the Q400 also helps, since a lot of our flights don't have time for much beyond checklists and briefings anyway.

vessbot posted:

I ... don't get it

At most airlines, if the autopilot is off, the pilot monitoring has to not only run the radios (which they do anyway), but also has to make all of the changes to the FMS and flight guidance (plus various other stuff), which makes their workload a lot higher than it would be with the autopilot engaged.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Edit: What that guy said^

I was flying with a captain who refused to stop talking about politics despite me asking him not to. Leaving the auto pilot off was a non-verbal form of communication saying "I don't want to engage in the conversation you're trying to start so I'm going to make us both sit here and concentrate on work."

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 10, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SeaborneClink posted:

Take pictures of your dong at FL40?

Does that violate sterile cockpit rules?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Depends. Do you wax?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Night flying is extremely good, it's so nice to not be one of six in the loving circuit.

And it turns out my first solo since 2007 will be next week, if weather holds and I don't screw up, at night!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Anybody at KVCV in SoCal? Made a quick run through to meet up with an Omega contract tanker. Pics are better than words I believe. Normally all our tanking is done off or KC130s-- we just got clearance, however, to tank off of 707s. Met up at the FBO to talk shop before we took off together.

Seems to be a huge transport boneyard here. At least five or six 747s, countless 707s, and countless DC10s.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 11, 2016

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I got no beef with you in particular. It was only a joke. gently caress, I thought we bonded over mutual hate for 1QX :confused:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Apparently I was really dense when I replied, since that managed to go right over my head.:downsgun:

Some of the really grumpy senior guys I flew with were unintentionally hilarious, since they had the exact same set of things they'd bitch about ("Skywest took our jets!", "When we flew the F-28, everything was so much better!", etc...), on every single trip, so I finally got to the point where I'd just light the fuse ("Did you hear Skywest is doing flights to (city name?))", and then see how long they'd go on ranting for.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Speaking of politics while flying...

http://www.sfgate.com/elections/article/Politically-charged-scuffle-aboard-SFO-flight-10609189.php

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

Apparently I was really dense when I replied, since that managed to go right over my head.:downsgun:

Some of the really grumpy senior guys I flew with were unintentionally hilarious, since they had the exact same set of things they'd bitch about ("Skywest took our jets!", "When we flew the F-28, everything was so much better!", etc...), on every single trip, so I finally got to the point where I'd just light the fuse ("Did you hear Skywest is doing flights to (city name?))", and then see how long they'd go on ranting for.

It's nice that my company provides a good distraction considering current affairs, you're welcome ;)

I'm also relieved that I managed to buddy bid a guy who isn't far off my political spectrum for most of my trips this month, I'd probably be in the CP's office already for mouthing off to some pro-Trumper who thinks he's Going to Make Airlines Great AgainŠ (spoiler alert: Trump isn't great with 121 service)

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
So I'm coming up on my 5th lesson later this week, and theres something I realize I should probably get...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good set of sunglasses for flying? The old nice ones I have are all scratched up these days, and the cheap plastic ones I have just fall off my face when I look around.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
-Good UV pro.
-Durable.
-Comfortable under a headset.

My Wayfarers are the best flying shades I've ever used.

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

Also non-polarized, some screens are super dark with polarized lenses.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I have a pair of oakleys since they sell non-polarized sunglasses and most are polarized which doesn't work with our fancy E175 screens.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nuggan posted:

So I'm coming up on my 5th lesson later this week, and theres something I realize I should probably get...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good set of sunglasses for flying? The old nice ones I have are all scratched up these days, and the cheap plastic ones I have just fall off my face when I look around.

I am in love with my Rayban RB3445's (non polarized). I do swap out to my Costa Tortugas (polarized) on a long cruise though

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Warby Parker's wayfarer clones, very high quality. Polarized, but I don't give a gently caress any more.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Doesn't polarisation make you less likely to spot other traffic due to the reduction/elimination of sun glint?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Doesn't polarisation make you less likely to spot other traffic due to the reduction/elimination of sun glint?

In theory. On the other hand it makes it much easier to spot traffic that is flying over sunset and water glare. For airline pilots the biggest hassle is it can make the window coating look weird and LCD's hard to read. My plane uses CRT screens, and I just tilt my head a bit when scanning out the window

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Thats great advice, I definitely would have bought polarized lenses without even thinking about it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I wear American Optical military issue sunglasses, cheap, durable, and comfortable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anyone have recommendations for low‐profile (i.e. close to the eye) shades?

I'm a SR‐71 reconnaissance systems officer. I just want a pair that works well with cameras. The closer I can get my eyeball to the viewfinder, the better.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Going on introductory flight this weekend out of Bedford, MA. Always something I've wanted to do, ridiculously excited

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
First one's free$90 for 40 minutes in the air and a tour of the flight school.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Going on introductory flight this weekend out of Bedford, MA. Always something I've wanted to do, ridiculously excited

You may end up flying over my apartment (I live under the approach to 11)

EDIT: actually, if your patterns on 11 put you over my place,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q2VKsvQEQ

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 16, 2016

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kilonum posted:

You may end up flying over my apartment (I live under the approach to 11)

EDIT: actually, if your patterns on 11 put you over my place,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q2VKsvQEQ

Very excited. Very nervous. But very excited!

simble
May 11, 2004

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Very excited. Very nervous. But very excited!

It's cake man. Relax and enjoy it.

For content:

I have my 2nd BFR coming up on Sunday. I can't believe it's already been 4 years since I got my PPL. Flying owns. Especially when your wife's grandma who we visit frequently lives 115 miles away.

Our club also recently picked up a 1997 182S with every bell and whistle imaginable. Dual aspens, a Garmin 750 and a 430 and a 660, JPI 830 engine monitor, everything. There are so many screens in this cockpit.

simble fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 17, 2016

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Had my 5th lesson today (6 hours of flying in now...). Did ground reference maneuvers which (other than avoiding all the birds) are super fun to do. Getting a really good feel now for how the wind blowing a certain way moves the plane around. Having it described to me I understood it well enough, but getting in the air and actually trying it pretty much just felt natural. Much more comfortable looking out the window now too, instead of having my eyes glued to the instruments.

We were coming in to our downwind to get ready to land and my instructor didn't notice a little ultralight ahead of us maybe 400 feet. It was right below the nose of our plane, and he's a little shorter than me, so he didn't see it. Them not having a radio didn't help either. Swung out wide to give them plenty of room and then we landed right after them. Dude gave me a dirty look as we passed him on the ground.

Also, I finally looked up airplane, hanger, insurance, etc prices today and I've realized that actually buying a plane of my own is affordable, doubly so if I split it with my friend who is just finishing up getting his license.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 18, 2016

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I'm going in a couple hours. Just thought. Am I expected to tip?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nuggan posted:

Also, I finally looked up airplane, hanger, insurance, etc prices today and I've realized that actually buying a plane of my own is affordable, doubly so if I split it with my friend who is just finishing up getting his license.

THIS IS HOW IT BEGINS :unsmigghh:

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

MrYenko posted:

THIS IS HOW IT BEGINS :unsmigghh:

Look, with the amount I pay to rent it, its even just a little bit cheaper to own my own! IT JUST MAKES SENSE OK!?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I'm going in a couple hours. Just thought. Am I expected to tip?

Welcome to aviation, where time is given freely* but everyone pays what they owe and nothing more... because who the gently caress can afford to tip when you're flying.

*except for CFIs when it comes to students, those dudes gotta eat

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

That was amazing.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

So went up today for the introductory flight...Cessna 172 with G1000. I was kind of expecting (and if you asked me before the flight, hoping) it was just going to be me riding shotgun while the instructor flew and talked. Was really expecting like a tour. But as soon as we got in the plane he had me doing everything, turning switches, starting the plane. Basically everything other than controlling the throttle. I used the pedals to get to the runway, pulled up on the yoke to takeoff once we got to certain speed (55?). Had me ascending up to 2500 and keeping it level, doing some 360* turns. Then keeping it at that altitude.

I read a ton of this thread the last few days and remembered EvilJoven talking about his intsruxtor saying it was good how he wasn't just focused on the gauges/screens and tried to consciously not focus on the Computer screen but he must have noticed I was looking at that a bit - I'm not beating myself up over it or anything but I think I was just trying to keep it at exactly 2500.

It was an absolutely beautiful day, like almost too perfect where I almost forgot about the fact wind/the air can play a factor because after about 30 minutes we got a little gust of some air and I remembered that I was actually flying and the elements can play a factor.

It's also funny because I think I was expecting it to be some sort of adrenaline rush or for me to be nervous, but in reality it was almost like relaxing and serene. Like the perfect blend of actively controlling a freaking airplane (with an instructor of course) and enjoying myself. I think my bpm heart rate was higher talking about how psyched I was to continue doing it than it ever was in the air. The instructor pretty much handled the landing completely once I descended to 1500 I think. I was kind of relieved about him doing that ALL himself at that point, but the ease with which he landed it was incredible.

Definitely want to continue. My instructor was recommending 2-3 times a week if I seriously want to do this, which isn't out of the question but will probably have to wait until after the new year. I bought a log book. Didn't proofread and I'm full of Dewars.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I think one of the "better" things I've learned in the past few months of flying again was that when you're VFR and just crusin' around, looking at the sights and having fun, just keep your eyes outside and just fly the airplane. Don't worry about your speed, your attitude or your altitude. Your eyes and senses of direction and sound (listening to the engine and airspeed) will keep you on track. Once you get comfortable in the airplane, then you can start to worry a little more about holding altitudes and all that stuff but there's no rule* that says "you must stay at 2500 feet" when training and VFR; SKY POLICE ARE COMING OMG.

*When in class G airspace or not getting directions from ATC blah blah blah.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 20, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You're likely spending most of your time in Class E airspace and you do need to follow cruising altitude rules. But yeah I agree in general about using outside reference to hold altitude and course. Also, cruising altitude for direction of flight begins at 3000AGL. So be careful down low. Where I work, everyone is at 2500-3500MSL and the congestion is crazy.

Speaking of altitudes. The holidays are nearly here, and people who shouldn't be flying are dusting off their headsets and taking to the sky. Yesterday the local altimeter setting was 30.63. Which is pretty drat high. As ATC, I had 7 different aircraft confirm to me that they were flying with altimeter settings of 30.16. Pay attention folks. Some of these I caught on initial contact, some were handed to me by other controllers that failed to notice the reported altitude discrepancies while the aircraft was climbing to an assigned altitude.

Either way, everyone should know better. Yesterday was a harsh reminder that our pilot population is aging.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 20, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I honestly would rather ascend to 3500 and have to deal with the workload of dealing with YWG CTR than drop down below 3000' and only have see and avoid to keep me from running into another bugsmasher.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
My Aviation Medical Examiner has been a bit non-commital, but how long I am out you think with a sprained MCL? Already in physio, but I don't wanna gently caress with pressure, and have a knee spasm while trying to do a sideslip and cock it up.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Not sure how much I can say here because top sekret but I had a terrifying moment yesterday where a guy decided that my potty break was the BEST POSSIBLE TIME to start RUSHING LIGHTNING QUICK towards the front of the aircraft/cockpit door. I think he managed to get out "can I get a soda" as I managed to squeak out in my best *i will end you voice* SIR YOU NEED TO SIT DOWN RIGHT NOW. loving clueless people. Never been nervous like that before. I think I'll just start holding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

The Slaughter posted:

Not sure how much I can say here because top sekret but I had a terrifying moment yesterday where a guy decided that my potty break was the BEST POSSIBLE TIME to start RUSHING LIGHTNING QUICK towards the front of the aircraft/cockpit door. I think he managed to get out "can I get a soda" as I managed to squeak out in my best *i will end you voice* SIR YOU NEED TO SIT DOWN RIGHT NOW. loving clueless people. Never been nervous like that before. I think I'll just start holding it.

When I was a FFDO SOP was to stash the piece in the lock box when you went to the head. I never felt more vulnerable than at those times. I mean i guess I understand why they had that rule, but having a HK on my hip would have to act as an rear end in a top hat deterrent.

• Locked thread