Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

we did repeal Prohibition

apples and oranges, sure, but yeah an amendment repeal could happen. Trump is 70 and his dad lived to be in his 90s. just sayin

further clarification; I always assume the very absolutely worst possible

lol democracy

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

babypolis posted:

the most stupid and ignorant people in the world were right. im still in shock
America deserved 11/9

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
did the hillary toxxes really not get enforced? if trump lost do you think the mods would let them off?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

babypolis posted:

the most stupid and ignorant people in the world were right. im still in shock

The one thing this election proved for sure is that there is no shadowy cabal or global conspiracy pulling the strings behind everything, because they would never have allowed Donald Trump. Admittedly most of the crowd who really went in for that kind of stuff was voting for Trump already in order to strike a blow against the establishment, but I think we can safely say now that America is actually controlled by its democracy and voting actually does control who will run the country.

Of course, in practice Trump is all the more vulnerable to being a pawn of others' agendas, even if he can't be completely predicted or controlled. But it'll be obvious and clumsy manipulations like Trump gifting Putin all of Ukraine because Putin went to Trump's birthday.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LmaoTheKid posted:

Can confirm. My subway ride was so quiet it got creepy.

Same. My NYC day included dead subways and people weeping at the office. All politics talk at the bar after. poo poo is bad and we are shook.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Harald posted:

America deserved 11/9

among other things

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Be happy that you at least have a democracy Americans, don't take it for granted.

It's democracy the same way a supermarket frozen microwavable cheeseburger is a cheeseburger, I guess

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'm gonna say it, we deserve president Trump. Everyday we suck money out of rural communities and send it to the cities either in the form of bank fees, cable bills, media you name it. Everything i own is made overseas, the only things I buy from the Midwest is food, $1.99 per pound for chicken. It's not sustainable. Trump may be a conman who can't help them but at least he tried. Clintons plan was to pretend they don't exist and rely on the blue wall, which Obama was holding together with duct tape and wire ties. The rest of us just call them racists, which turns out is not how you win votes. We deserve this, the DNC deserves this. Maybe they'll learn their lesson for 2020.

we may deserve it but blacks, gays, immigrants, etc don't

when marx envisioned the working-class revolution, did he realize that it would operate solely to the detriment of the working class?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

frozen white-castles is actually as good as the real thing, way more expensive tho

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dolash posted:

The one thing this election proved for sure is that there is no shadowy cabal or global conspiracy pulling the strings behind everything, because they would never have allowed Donald Trump. Admittedly most of the crowd who really went in for that kind of stuff was voting for Trump already in order to strike a blow against the establishment, but I think we can safely say now that America is actually controlled by its democracy and voting actually does control who will run the country.

Of course, in practice Trump is all the more vulnerable to being a pawn of others' agendas, even if he can't be completely predicted or controlled. But it'll be obvious and clumsy manipulations like Trump gifting Putin all of Ukraine because Putin went to Trump's birthday.

This is a unique observation that I'm actually going to parrot. Thanks.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

NecroMonster posted:

further clarification; I always assume the very absolutely worst possible

lol democracy

if someone on the left wasn't a cynic before this election, they are now

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Augus posted:

we may deserve it but blacks, gays, immigrants, etc don't

Yeah the deserve it sentiment is gross.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

among other things

im still trying to wrap my head around how a steak-hocking con artist finegaled his way to controlling all 3 branches of the US government .

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Augus posted:

when marx envisioned the working-class revolution, did he realize that it would operate solely to the detriment of the working class?

no. Marx was smart as gently caress, but he made mistakes and failed to foresee a bunch of stuff.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

nachos posted:

Same. My NYC day included dead subways and people weeping at the office. All politics talk at the bar after. poo poo is bad and we are shook.

Went to a brewery with co-workers for lunch and of course a couple grandma and grandpas sat next to us and I made zero effort of toning poo poo down and one of the old shits just laughed and shook his head when we made our points

Old white people are truly terrible and have no stake in the future decades they hosed over

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

If the left stays cynical and detached then the left will continue to get gently caress all accomplished.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

El Hefe posted:

Be happy that you at least have a democracy Americans, don't take it for granted.
Hillary Clinton literally received more people's votes last night than Trump.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To be honest, after going out today, I've calmed down. I mean, this is bad, but it probably will just be Bush minus the war. Apocalyptic talk is fun, but it's just talk.

We just need to do what we did under Bush: protest, mock, rally, and fight. It's what we always do.

Leftist media like the Daily Show and the Colbert Report thrived because, under a conservative government, we needed people to take a leftist opinion and tell it like we see it. Expect that to come back as right wing media falters.

The reality is that Trump is bad and will abuse his power somewhat and none of this good, but that just means we need to protest, parody, and vote.

The fact is that the Republican congress and the American people still want a democracy. Trump may love power, but even he wants a democracy. American democracy survives because we truly put the concept of democracy as part of morality. Doesn't mean we are pure about it -- gerrymandering, voter suppression, claim poo poo is rigged to cover your rear end --, but we still have votes and all the rigging in the world has not stopped us from kicking a lot of people out when we were unhappy.

All this election was was yet another reminder to not get complacent, remember an election is never over till it is over (I was constantly telling people not to be complacent), and that conservatism is alive and well and therefore liberalism must be ready to fight it.

For most of us, life will go on just fine. For some us, life is going to be very, very rough. The job of the lucky ones is make sure that stops: protest, stand-up for people, get the word out, etc.

The fact is that the majority of Americans did not want this. This was not the President we wanted. Remind people of this reality. Keep people fighting.

Most importantly, however, remember that liberalism is not just about helping oppressed races, sexual orientations and other identities. It is also a battle against the rich. Rural whites may hold views we find abhorrent, but they're victims of the same system that oppresses us all and, therefore, we need to unite and fight together. We need to remember that we must remain united against out real enemy: those who abuse power and oppress. That is what liberalism fights and that is what we must fight. We can't make this country vs city, we have to make this oppressed vs oppressor.

I guess what I'm saying is, is that I feel okay because I know I am lucky enough to live somewhere where I probably won't have to worry about things going forward. I know that makes me privileged. That's why I will make efforts to help those not as lucky. That's why I will make sure to stand up for what I believe in in the face of this conservative way. That is why I will use this election to remind people what happens when we don't vote, when we get complacent, and when we forget what our real battle is.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

nopants posted:

Even in Defeat, Hillary Clinton Was Still Presidential as Hell.

A great president, and appeareth in a flame of fier, but having taken mans shape, he maketh one marvelous in astrologie, and in all the liberall sciences, he procureth excellent familiars, he bewraieth treasures preserved by spirits, he hath the government of thirtie six legions, he is partlie of the order of angels, partlie of potestats, he hopeth after a thousand two hundreth yeares to returne to the seventh throne: which is not credible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Do it ironically posted:

did the hillary toxxes really not get enforced? if trump lost do you think the mods would let them off?

People were given the opportunity to avoid getting banned if they made a donation to RAINN instead.

Or rather, it's money you would have spent to re-reg yourself if you were banned, except it gets directed to charity instead of to Lowtax.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Harald posted:

im still trying to wrap my head around how a steak-hocking con artist finegaled his way to controlling all 3 branches of the US government .

it's because the left failed the lower and middle classes in a whole lot of different ways in part to a whole lot of obstruction

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

i was cynical before and now im extremely mad and going to get involved

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Harald posted:

America deserved 11/9

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
So lots of protesters across the USA.

Will the left have their own 'tea party' type group?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's easy to blame Hillary alone, but she wasn't writing her own speeches. There was an entire apparatus that probably hired too heavily from NYC.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
why did we have to send dong lover for pizza?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Louisgod posted:

Went to a brewery with co-workers for lunch and of course a couple grandma and grandpas sat next to us and I made zero effort of toning poo poo down and one of the old shits just laughed and shook his head when we made our points

Old white people are truly terrible and have no stake in the future decades they hosed over

i was on the phone w/my dad and he basically said the same thing. old people like my grandparents voting trump are in their 80s and will most likely be dead within 5-10 years so they don't give a gently caress

what's telling is that they do not give a gently caress about their grandchildren or great grandchildren

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
like I've read my Plato so I know democracy is hosed but I wasn't sure I'd live to see it in action

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

gradenko_2000 posted:

People were given the opportunity to avoid getting banned if they made a donation to RAINN instead.

Or rather, it's money you would have spent to re-reg yourself if you were banned, except it gets directed to charity instead of to Lowtax.

And this is why this forum is dying. Enforce the Toxx, keep the forums alive. They took the risk, I say let them burn.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

NecroMonster posted:

tax and budgetary policies that would send money back, past what the remains of the social safety net manage, have been systematically blocked by the republican party, and their base, for years and years at this point

I know your right, but this ain't your daddy's GOP anymore, it's the Trump Party and he is the unquestionable leader: anyone who still thinks we're gonna get 4 years of Bush2.0 is in for a rude awakening. We are so far into uncharted waters now that we can't see the shore.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Montasque posted:

No, because they would first have to agree on what to fight for.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i don't blame any on individual or group alone, and i'm not even mad, i'm too god damned sick and defeated at this point

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Hillary Clinton literally received more people's votes last night than Trump.

And it turns out there is a system in place that allows for the balancing of power between population centers and rural areas because that is historically the divide that causes internal strife, with disconnected and disinterested effete rulers in the city lord over the common folk in the hinterlands.

Turns out one party was aware of that in this election.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i don't care if it was already posted

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
dernal tremp mis real dumb and bad

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Harald posted:

like I've read my Plato so I know democracy is hosed but I wasn't sure I'd live to see it in action
You didn't, Trump received like 200k fewer votes than Clinton. This election was a lot of things, but "democracy in action" wasn't one of them.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

triple sulk posted:

i was on the phone w/my dad and he basically said the same thing. old people like my grandparents voting trump are in their 80s and will most likely be dead within 5-10 years so they don't give a gently caress

what's telling is that they do not give a gently caress about their grandchildren or great grandchildren

literally brexitesque

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

Trump could never happen until he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

LastInLine posted:

And it turns out there is a system in place that allows for the balancing of power between population centers and rural areas because that is historically the divide that causes internal strife, with disconnected and disinterested effete rulers in the city lord over the common folk in the hinterlands.

Turns out one party was aware of that in this election.
Oh no poo poo??? Just don't call it a loving democracy

• Locked thread