Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SoggyBobcat posted:

Why not? Turnabout is fair play. Republicans weren't electorally punished for it, why would Democrats?

It didn't help Republicans and when you let Republicans gently caress over the functioning of government you play into their narrative the government can't work.

Meanwhile real people who need their government get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Trabisnikof posted:

The question is, where would benefit Russia if we got involved militarily?

South China Sea looks ready for some fun doesn't it?

I'm sure Russia would love revenge for the Crimean War.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the democrats will show that they stand for ineffectually flailing at the gop while they remove the filibuster

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Imapanda posted:

So i'm guessing the left is gonna take an example of the right from the past 8 years and democratic obstructionism is gonna begin fullswing against Trump once he begins passing legislation? We've complained about it so much over the past few years, but I cant help to see the irony, even when its probably for an actual better good to fight against whatever vile policies he wants pushed forward.

Can we expect Trump to become more bipartisan in policy eventually, or do we just expect him to just be as disgustingly right wing as possible with zero compromise? Trumps gonna be a man who has no idea what he's doing, we should probably fear the influence of his cabinet more than the orange man himself.

I mean, it literally doesn't matter. The Republicans have 51 in the Senate and control of the house. To get rid of the Fillibuster takes 51 votes.

If the party is properly whipped Democrats can do gently caress all. The only hope is that a few idiots like Cruz or Graham try to play the Leiberman card and drag poo poo out on pet issues or refuse to play ball on things like roaming immigration sqauds.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

It didn't help Republicans and when you let Republicans gently caress over the functioning of government you play into their narrative the government can't work.

In this case, though, obstruction is trying to stop the government from getting worse.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

You show your party you stand for something.

Stand for what exactly?

You'll have to cave eventually, just like the Republicans did. Meanwhile you've given them more ammo in the fight against "bad government."

If you don't cave then Republicans will gain enough popular opinion to remove whatever filibuster or legislative trick you were using.

Pretty much this:

corn in the bible posted:

the democrats will show that they stand for ineffectually flailing at the gop while they remove the filibuster

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Either way people who need their government are hosed cause the game plan laid out by Trump today is :laffo:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

negromancer posted:

This would make sense if pussygate hadn't happened.

As it stands they voted for a rapist, so basically white women gave the green light on sexual assault.

It's gonna be real interesting watching white women who voted for a rapist try to talk about how rape is a bad thing and those who do it should be punished.

Oh wait, it's not a bad thing if it comes from a successful white male, a la Brock Turner.

But I'm sure these same women will be talking about nothing BUT solidarity once the poo poo they rely on starts getting taken away and sexual assaults go up.

Me too, I'm so happy that people I don't like are going to get raped now! I'm a well adjusted human being!

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

That's why you shift the narrative to the Democrats fighting back against Trump and keeping Dems energized.

gently caress, I don't know. I just wish the Dems would get angry and show some spine and fight.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

In this case, though, obstruction is trying to stop the government from getting worse.

Ah yes the "suffocate the patient until Trump & Republicans approves Obamacare again" method.

SoggyBobcat posted:

That's why you shift the narrative to the Democrats fighting back against Trump and keeping Dems energized.

gently caress, I don't know. I just wish the Dems would get angry and show some spine and fight.

But you don't shift the narrative in a positive way by walking into a fight you can't win.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SoggyBobcat posted:

And do what?

There are no rhetorical or legislative tricks to pull. They're all gone. Republicans rule the bureaucracy utterly for a minimum of 2 years and can do whatever the gently caress they can get all Republican Senators to agree to.

whole lot of people are going to die. horribly.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

SoggyBobcat posted:

Why oh why didn't the Dems nominate Howard Beale? =(

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

It didn't? They just won the Presidency.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Zore posted:

And do what?

There are no rhetorical or legislative tricks to pull. They're all gone. Republicans rule the bureaucracy utterly for a minimum of 2 years and can do whatever the gently caress they can get all Republican Senators to agree to.

The only people that are going to die are those who can't handle the mental strain of someone they disagree with winning an election.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Zore posted:

And do what?

W Bush but more overtly racist

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Me too, I'm so happy that people I don't like are going to get raped now! I'm a well adjusted human being!

Man that's cool how you read that into someone saying female Trump voters are likely hypocrites. Good job telling off that guy who totally said he hopes those women get raped.

edit:

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

The only people that are going to die are those who can't handle the mental strain of someone they disagree with winning an election.

https://twitter.com/ZachStafford/status/796487996405063680

Hey you know what actually just go gently caress yourself, some people are facing the prospect of increased violence when they are already among the most disproportionately targeted groups for violence and sexual assault and among the highest for risk of suicide. It's definitely just them being weak and not that the VP is on record as being extremely anti-LGBT and there is a very real possibility of many of these people not being able to afford, or in some areas not being allowed to get the drugs needed to start/continue their transition.

PKJC fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 10, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

btw democrats will never win another election again

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/796478231398465536

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Zore posted:

I mean, it literally doesn't matter. The Republicans have 51 in the Senate and control of the house. To get rid of the Fillibuster takes 51 votes.

Is there a large chance of that even passing? The split is almost straight down the middle. Couldn't it just be a big slapfight with a chance of it going nowhere?

I have a gut feeling they're gonna get rid of it immediately though. :smith:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Imapanda posted:

So i'm guessing the left is gonna take an example of the right from the past 8 years and democratic obstructionism is gonna begin fullswing against Trump once he begins passing legislation?

You joking? Of course they won't.

I've kind of been telling myself that I'm glad the people who voted for Hillary aren't going full VOTER FRAUD DEAD PEOPLE ILLEGALS like the GOP would have done if the election went the opposite way, and that now it's time for Trump and his supporters to either put up or shut up. He says abhorrent things and his 100 day document is mostly awful but he hasn't done anything aside from being a terrible person yet so all we can do is wait and see.

Also alcohol. Lots of alcohol. Good thing wine is like $4 here.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

corn in the bible posted:

btw democrats will never win another election again

This was said every day everywhere on this very forums about the GOP up until yesterday.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

PKJC posted:

Man that's cool how you read that into someone saying female Trump voters are likely hypocrites. Good job telling off that guy who totally said he hopes those women get raped.

Saying that sexual assault will go up because a republican got elected is nothing but a reflection of the inner state of the one making the assertion.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Imapanda posted:

This was said every day everywhere on this very forums about the GOP up until yesterday.

i didn't say it, because i wasn't loving stupid

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

also the people who's medicaid gets cut because the state moves to a block grant and 'whoops' looks like we can't fund all those patients so some of them are cut.

and then they die.

or the people with pre-existing conditions who lose their healthcare and can't afford the new plans. And then can't get a new plan because no one will insure them.

they die

or the hosiptals that literally cannot afford to stay open with taxes and government spending cut to the bone

all the people relying on them die

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

So, lying to them, I guess? Those jobs aren't fuckin' coming back.

Worked for Trump, didn't it?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

It didn't? They just won the Presidency.

Lol you don't really think the government shutdowns under Obama is why Trump won and Republicans did well.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Saying that sexual assault will go up because a republican got elected is nothing but a reflection of the inner state of the one making the assertion.

It's not because he's a Republican it is because he brags about sexually assualting women.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Nah it's actually because of the environment created by the Trump campaign itself but thanks for playing. An open bigot who was caught on tape bragging about sexual assault being voted president will definitely not embolden the types of people who would commit those crimes, no sirree.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

How in the ever living gently caress did you parse this as what was posted?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zore posted:

also the people who's medicaid gets cut because the state moves to a block grant and 'whoops' looks like we can't fund all those patients so some of them are cut.

and then they die.

or the people with pre-existing conditions who lose their healthcare and can't afford the new plans. And then can't get a new plan because no one will insure them.

they die

or the hosiptals that literally cannot afford to stay open with taxes and government spending cut to the bone

all the people relying on them die

This has already happened in Arizona under Jan Brewer:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/News/arizona-transplant-deaths/story?id=12559369#.UaOZIJXEJz9

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Stand for what exactly?

You'll have to cave eventually, just like the Republicans did. Meanwhile you've given them more ammo in the fight against "bad government."

If you don't cave then Republicans will gain enough popular opinion to remove whatever filibuster or legislative trick you were using.

Pretty much this:

You don't think their going to do that, day 1. How cute.

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol you don't really think the government shutdowns under Obama is why Trump won and Republicans did well.

Did it hurt them? NO.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

The only soldiers who are affected by PTSD are the weak :downs:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

PKJC posted:

Nah it's actually because of the environment created by the Trump campaign itself but thanks for playing. An open bigot who was caught on tape bragging about sexual assault being voted president will definitely not embolden the types of people who would commit those crimes, no sirree.

Oh come on. I'm as far left as you can get without being a jar of patchouli oil but a bigot being elected president is not going to flip a switch in people's minds to go out and grab some strange pussy.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

A sexual predator got elected. Read the comments today on my sister's Facebook wall where her coworkers (Coast Guard) joke about grabbing pussies to MAGA. This is real poo poo and as a country we've just enabled the gently caress out of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

and trans people i guess

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Or people with pre-existing health conditions, I suppose.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Who said I was happy? I'm saying they will receive no support from WoC when they inevitably get things like birth control removed from things like workplace health insurance, which would affect their group more than any other, but WoC will remember they voted for a rapist who was going to do just that and will receive no help from them. White feminists left WoC out to dry, so the same will probably occur now that they've basically written it into stone that solidarity was a myth.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

You don't think their going to do that, day 1. How cute.

Did it hurt them? NO.

Then why argue Democrats should do something then say "oh sweetie they won't even be allowed to do it" when it is pointed out to be a bad idea.

Republicans are arguing "government bad" so sabotaging the government helps their argument and hurts Democrats.

mintskoal posted:

Oh come on. I'm as far left as you can get without being a jar of patchouli oil but a bigot being elected president is not going to flip a switch in people's minds to go out and grab some strange pussy.

The Klan is out celebrating, the Trump effect is well documented in school and you think it won't have any effect on the culture even as he smugly dismissed it all as "locker room talk"?

PKJC
May 7, 2009

mintskoal posted:

It would be cool if you were correct but I wasn't referring to people not already disposed to do so. Some crimes are crimes of opportunity and guess what will happen if the types of people who would be willing to assault someone in the first place feel like the chances of them getting called on it have dropped significantly.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Get ready liberals

The Trumpster is on the loose :smugdon:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SoggyBobcat posted:

Why not? Turnabout is fair play. Republicans weren't electorally punished for it, why would Democrats?

Democrats are loving poo poo at messaging and their voters don't turn out for midterms, unlike Republicans, who are both and will be energized as gently caress to punish the Democrats for preventing the Republicans from MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah this is most certainly embolden the far right white nationalist. It may usher in a culture of misogyny as well.

• Locked thread