Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Remulak posted:

All the 'not racist' people that didn't vote in all those states that were so close. Clinton wasn't perfect, but Jesus loving Christ, they all stood by and let this happen.

That's usually how awful things win.

People standing by and letting it happen because FYGM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

negromancer posted:

But I'm so glad that folks got to assuage their consciouses!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
From a couple pages back, but one thing about Latinx voters for Trump is that if anything, they hate illegals way more than anyone else does because 1) they're SO tantalizingly close to white passing now and 2) illegals give them a really bad rep by ethnic association. I don't know what it's like for black people but a lot of other minorities use recent immigrants of their group as punching bags for all the poo poo they get thrown by white people and the fact that undocumented immigrants are, well, illegal, emboldens them more. It's easier to deal with racism when you can just immediately think "lol silly white man, those negative stereotypes do not apply to me, a law-abiding member of society, he's just confusing me for those awful border hopping Mexicans" and somehow think their poo poo slides right off you like you're made of Teflon.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Remulak posted:

All the 'not racist' people that didn't vote in all those states that were so close. Clinton wasn't perfect, but Jesus loving Christ, they all stood by and let this happen.

Yep. They emboldened WS, ehich is kinda my point.

Also gently caress Gfsincere for running away and leaving me here :(

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Koalas March posted:

Uh.....

OwlFancier posted:

You might be able to salvage enough to win an election which is a better position to effect actual change from than having control of none of the branches of government, however.

As much as I enjoy the thought of punishing the deserving, it doesn't really do anyone much good to lose on that platform.

I really don't buy this. Economics be damned, the moment you entertain anything about minorities, people are going to be upset. This is that coddling thing I was talking about. There wasn't poo poo that was concrete in Trump's economic plan. NOTHING.

I guess you can just ignore minorities and their issues but that stirs up other problems.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 10, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Yep. They emboldened WS, ehich is kinda my point.

LMFAO I've ALWAYS had an exit strategy.

Let me tell you something: living in a country virtually all black, its such a transformative thing. You don't realize how oppressive white supremacy is until you don't have it anymore.

It's like poverty. When your poor and broke and robbing Peter to pay Paul, most of your thoughts are occupied with your poverty. But once you're financially stable, so much brain space is freed up.

Same thing. You get to live as your authentic black self, and its one of those things that is just amazing to do.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm sorry idk if this a joke or not anymore..

If it's not though..

Actually, all racists the chevrons are locked please go away and we'll bury our gate.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

drat it gf, didn't you know that you were my only last bastion against racism!? Fuuuuck

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

negromancer posted:

Yeah, but some German guy said that the march of progress is steady and you don't have to fight for anything because it's better than Imperial Romealaksdfasdlkfj!!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Meanwhile, I'm sure people in D&D will continue to tell us Trump's message was all about economics and not white nationalism

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/09/disturbing-acts-in-wellsville-at-canisius-college-follow-election-day/#link_time=1478728455

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ill be damned if I leave. This is my country too and I am not giving it up without a fight. gently caress that. Even if it is just supporting my friends and family, I am going to fight.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Ill be damned if I leave. This is my country too and I am not giving it up without a fight. gently caress that. Even if it is just supporting my friends and family, I am going to fight.

The thing is, it was never our country. Nor was it white folks country. All this poo poo is stolen, at the end of the day. Lowkey, we aren't even supposed to be here.

And that message is born out every day.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

You might be able to salvage enough to win an election which is a better position to effect actual change from than having control of none of the branches of government, however.

As much as I enjoy the thought of punishing the deserving, it doesn't really do anyone much good to lose on that platform.

We won with Obama and somehow we still got Trump. People don't suddenly start being less racist because they're more financially secure. That might, might, reduce conflicts, but that's only a bandaid until bad time come around again which they always will. We need to put our energy into efforts that specifically target ending racism and reducing the burden of oppression on black people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

there wolf posted:

We won with Obama and somehow we still got Trump. People don't suddenly start being less racist because they're more financially secure. That might, might, reduce conflicts, but that's only a bandaid until bad time come around again which they always will. We need to put our energy into efforts that specifically target ending racism and reducing the burden of oppression on black people.

You got trump because Obama did not deliver for the people who voted Trump today, and because Clinton didn't show any sign of wanting to.

Whether Obama didn't deliver because the democrats weren't overly concerned or because of the legislative deadlock is something someone with more knowledge of the minutiae of his political platform will have to decide, but a political party being elected on a promise of radical change, failing to deliver to a portion of their core demographic (in this case, the impoverished, particularly white) and then losing when promising more of the same in the face of a right wing populist adopting the same message of radical change is exactly how the UK went in the past two decades, to the letter, and the thing about it is there's gently caress all you can do about it without being in government. Because the power of the state is absolutely overwhelming and when it is pushing against you, you're going to lose.

Obama offered the promise of change and fought two superb campaigns on it. You can offer a change from poverty to poverty stricken white people without at all compromising any of the work that is owed minority groups, and I would argue that building common cause between both groups is a very very good idea, as well as being necessary if you're going to run a successful campaign without sacrificing what makes you worth voting for. We need to do it here as well.

gently caress racism and gently caress poverty, it makes no sense to me to say you have to pick one or the other.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 10, 2016

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I had to defriend a Facebook friend who is a West African, Muslim woman with a son and who is also a NYPD officer. She voted for Trump. I just can't take this.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Idia posted:

I had to defriend a Facebook friend who is a West African, Muslim woman with a son and who is also a NYPD officer. She voted for Trump. I just can't take this.

She thinks that shield will protect her.

I mean she was trash for joining the NYPD in the first place, so if anything this just confirmed your suspicions.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OwlFancier posted:

You got trump because Obama did not deliver for the people who voted Trump today, and because Clinton didn't show any sign of wanting to.

Problem is those people can and will continue to cheerfully gently caress themselves just because they know people of color are going to get it worse.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

Problem is those people can and will continue to cheerfully gently caress themselves just because they know people of color are going to get it worse.

"I'll tell you what's at the bottom of it," he said. "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."- LBJ

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Also not kidding I'll paypal folks a fiver so it costs some racist a tenner.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Congrats on the new title negromancer!

Also don't you have to be fluent in French to survive in Senegal? I assume you've already learned in preparation as part of your escape plan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Left to their own devices, or to the rhetoric of the populist right, yes they will, or at least they will vote credulously on the assumption that POC are the root of their problems, because they're idiots.

Which is why a key focus of the dems from now on needs to be ending this lie, by hammering into them the real reason they're being hosed, without reservation.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
"Quick, someone pay my black rear end to move to Africa..."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Looking at this in a historical perspective, it really wasn't surprising. Every time we get any progress in this country, the white supremacists come out in full force to slap it back down so they can feel better again. The Redemption, the airstrike of Black Wall Street, and so much more. After eight years of a black democrat having some success despite their best efforts has got them so pissed off that they rode out to make sure the loudest, dumbest ally they had out there to kill all that nasty progress so they can smack down us uppity non-whites hetero men having the gall step out of our place by pretending that we could have a say instead of failing so they look better by comparison.

If we had anything resembling decent education in the horrors of history or civics in general, we might have some buffer for this behavior, but no. We must whitewash the past so we can keep from admitting that white people might have done bad things.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I started reading D&D during election night and like, are the people here just genuinely racist?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

I started reading D&D during election night and like, are the people here just genuinely racist?

I still think the old subtitle was better.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

OwlFancier posted:

Left to their own devices, or to the rhetoric of the populist right, yes they will, or at least they will vote credulously on the assumption that POC are the root of their problems, because they're idiots.

Which is why a key focus of the dems from now on needs to be ending this lie, by hammering into them the real reason they're being hosed, without reservation.

How do you do that to people who are eager to swallow Drudge and Brietbart as the only trustworthy sources of news? They have been well trained to deny facts unless they come from their idols. He'll, even that isn't a guarantee since they're ready to turn on said idols when a louder liar comes up to tell them what they want to hear.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
You guys should defend yourselves in GBS.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Buschmaki posted:

"Quick, someone pay my black rear end to move to Africa..."

As racist as it is, if someone did I would be grateful lol

Eej posted:

Congrats on the new title negromancer!

Also don't you have to be fluent in French to survive in Senegal? I assume you've already learned in preparation as part of your escape plan.

Wolof, and I'm okay at speaking it. I have Senegalese friends here that I talk to and brush up on my poo poo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Buschmaki posted:

Those weren't the usual D&D crowd, if we're thinking of the same fuckwits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Geostomp posted:

How do you do that to people who are eager to swallow Drudge and Brietbart as the only trustworthy sources of news? They have been well trained to deny facts unless they come from their idols. He'll, even that isn't a guarantee since they're ready to turn on said idols when a louder liar comes up to tell them what they want to hear.

With difficulty. We have the same problem with the press here.

Broadly, given that history didn't start 20 years or so ago and the left in our respective countries have actually won things sometimes, you use all your resources to hammer home the message. This year Clinton seemed to spend most of her funding on portraying the message of being the heir to Obama, a perfectly reasonable position to appeal to any reasonable voter, but not, ultimately, as effective as Trump's bombastic stream of endless populist bullshit.

Basically it's entirely possible for otherwise fairly mundane people to vote for some absolutely idiotic poo poo because it sounded like a good idea at first glance. See: Brexit, last UK general election. But populism isn't inherently bad, it's entirely possible to say actual correct things in a populist way, it's just the only people really using it right now are the right, the centre/left are the status quo at the moment, they're the conservatives, the stagnant, hated old order that is holding us all down, the right is the party of change and hope assuming you don't have the perspective to see how loving stupid their policies are and how many people they're willing to gently caress over to enact them. Or maybe some people do have that perspective and don't care, because poverty and punishment are not conducive to empathy and fellow feeling, it makes people vicious and spiteful more than not.

But the democrats do still have resources, and they can use them to say "You and POC have common cause, you both suffer at the hands of the same people, the wealthy and powerful will exploit and throw away you both the moment it suits them, and they will turn you against each other and laugh all the way to the bank. If you want to be free of oppression, look to everyone else who suffers at the hands of the people who hurt you, and fight them together, with us." And that's entirely true. Hating and lusting for the pain of your enemies is 100% fine as far as I'm concerned, you don't need to stop people from doing that, just point them at the right enemies.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Or, and this is a really compelling notion, we could not venture into a cesspit.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress racism and gently caress poverty, it makes no sense to me to say you have to pick one or the other.

We always pick poverty and for some reason racism never seems to go away. That's the point. Too many discussion about fixing racism seem to end up in this spiral of making things better for poor whites so they'll perhaps stop being so lovely. That's a dead end since so much of their worth is poised on being better than POC, and black people specifically. Full communism now could come, and the Trumps of the world would still be able to leverage themselves into power by suggesting that black people are getting more and that they can put a stop to it. I'm willing to try and unpack that sociopathy on a individual basis with people I think I might be able to change, but as far as policy goes, I'm done trying to convert the unbending.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Policy wise it's rarely both, and usually neither, and that's criminal, the sooner politicians realise the need for both the better.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Buschmaki posted:

People really want it to be okay to be super racist toward white people for some reason.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Secular Humanist posted:

People really want it to be okay to be super racist toward white people for some reason.

:gb2gbs:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaunab posted:

Nah, GBS should come here.

And get banned. :getin:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Secular Humanist posted:

Wait what?

Is that a typo?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

negromancer posted:

Wait what?

Is that a typo?

It's not. His username is actually ironic.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Secular Humanist posted:

luckily thats impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Secular Humanist posted:

Hey, so gently caress off.

Or you're welcome to stay and gamble on a ban.

• Locked thread