Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'd like to add I attempted to watch an episode of Full Frontal but I had to stop five minutes in. It is terrible and Samantha Bee is not funny and has non-insightful opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd like to add I attempted to watch an episode of Full Frontal but I had to stop five minutes in. It is terrible and Samantha Bee is not funny and has non-insightful opinions.

I like to call this the Larry Wilmore effect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like Full Frontal but I feel exactly that way about Daily Show now. Trevor Noah seems like a good guy but holy hell his presentation is abysmal. Even the commercial they showed for tonight's episode was just so poor.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Full Frontal is way loving better than current Daily Show

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember when I pointed out this could happen in this very thread, citing the reasons behind Brexit being just as applicable here and was immediately shut down. Turns out paying attention to relevant things that happen in other parts of the world is actually important, who could have guessed.

You weren't the only one.

But I have faith that I was still wrong somehow. Any minute now, Trump's shtick will stop resonating with the Republican voting base, and he'll lose the election retroactively. It's going to happen, I can feel it.

Any minute now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tarlibone posted:

You weren't the only one.

But I have faith that I was still wrong somehow. Any minute now, Trump's shtick will stop resonating with the Republican voting base, and he'll lose the election retroactively. It's going to happen, I can feel it.

Any minute now.

This will happen when they realize they can't get free 'beetus medications anymore, and Medicare won't cover their replacement HoverRound and portable oxygen generator.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

She's desperately trying to copy Jon's shtick down to his delivery so much it's painful to watch. As unfunny and bland as Trevor is at least he's just being himself.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trevor likely has greater appeal to people outside of America as he is not just another white person. I don't think anyone can't match Stewart's incredibly high bar it was always going to be an extremely tough act to follow. But his outsider status allows him to do things Stewart couldn't and to a greater extent than John Oliver. Trevor goes right to the line every time he pulls an Africa joke, it makes me laugh as it is funny and I like watching you guys squirm every time.

Definitely not a fan of Bee though, she is trying way to hard and it has stripped her into product.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This will happen when they realize they can't get free 'beetus medications anymore, and Medicare won't cover their replacement HoverRound and portable oxygen generator.

I read Trump's 100 Days check sheet and hahaahaha you Rust Belt fuckers are so hosed. Enjoy dying from treatable illness. Those jobs aren't coming back. Just try to sell all that unpicked rotten fruit. Keep that Red Hat to throw up in from the poison that is going to taint the land. Great job.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mulva posted:

No it didn't, it's effectively the same strategy Trump used. It worked perfectly for him. Actually doubling down and saying "These people are monsters and we will make a list and murder them in their sleep" might have fired up the Democratic base more by that logic. Certainly no more combative than "All Mexicans are rapists and thieves and I will build a wall to keep them out". Christ, that line got 30% of Latinos to back him.
That's exactly the point. Hate is universally toxic. Social progress, human decency, and empathy are good things. But getting angry and hating people that you perceive to not share those values the way you want them to doesn't accomplish anything positive. It backfired. Hard.

It's not okay to dehumanize and hate someone that has hateful or regressive views, it doesn't solve anything, and as we can see with the election results, its made things worse.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Wow, that's one of the smartest things I've ever seen in these dead gay forums.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ausmund posted:

That's exactly the point. Hate is universally toxic. Social progress, human decency, and empathy are good things. But getting angry and hating people that you perceive to not share those values the way you want them to doesn't accomplish anything positive. It backfired. Hard.

It's not okay to dehumanize and hate someone that has hateful or regressive views, it doesn't solve anything, and as we can see with the election results, its made things worse.

I don't think it's as simple as that though. For example, see Black Lives Matter whose message is mainly "stop stereotyping and killing black people over trivial poo poo" to which the response is that they're somehow "encouraging racism" and are "a terrorist hate group" that some people see fit to compare to the loving Klan. All for the audacity of not wanting to be treated as less than human.

The most interesting example was one I saw today where, in comparing BLM to the KKK, referred to them instead as "Thug Lives Matter."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Solvent posted:

Wow, that's one of the smartest things I've ever seen in these dead gay forums.

It's also completely wrong. Hate is a useful emotion. It can be bad when overindulged in, and if you can't put it behind you.....but it can be a *profound* motivator for action. And action is a value neutral proposition. It can get bad people out to do bad things, or good people out to do good things. The pretense that there is something you can say, some kind step you can take, some olive branch you can offer to make terrible people better is profoundly dangerous. You can help a lot of people, but not everyone. And when that "not everyone" is millions of people who are absolutely willing to drag you and the rest of the world into an unloved grave with them? You still have to do something about it. If hate is what is needed to get people to oppose them, well, one side is pretty fine with funding the mental health services needed to deal with the aftermath.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 11, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing is, letting horrible, horrible things and lies go by without calling them out can be a tacit agreement with them. If you don't call out these things in every instance, they can go by with a pass. That's why a couple of media outlets finally let it all bubble over and picked a side, all too late.

That genie got out of the bottle, and it isn't going back in any time soon.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hate is a very strong tool to send people to polls. Fear is not. Trump used hate. Hillary used fear. While turnout was down for Republicans, it was obvious why as Trump was a radical who alienated humongous chunks of their base, but for Dems it free fell.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 12, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Just going to leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCSMyFWTjRc

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What fear did Hillary use to get people voting out of interest? I didn't pay nearly as much attention to her side of things, since Trump was so entertaining and I'm not part of the vote so it wasn't important to me. Just fear of Trump himself?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

tsob posted:

What fear did Hillary use to get people voting out of interest? I didn't pay nearly as much attention to her side of things, since Trump was so entertaining and I'm not part of the vote so it wasn't important to me. Just fear of Trump himself?

Fear of Trump, fear of trump supporters "the deplorables".

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

tsob posted:

Pretty much.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

tsob posted:

"Trump is a monster Hitler who's views on women are from 1950s and wants to put minorities in concentration camps."

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Trump is a monster Hitler who's views on women are from 1950s and wants to put minorities in concentration camps."

Also surprisingly fear doesn't work on people who don't quite have as much a stake in the fear.
Its easy to just not vote when while you know its bad to vote for trump because of these 'fear' reasons, its not a personal motivator.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cerepol posted:

Also surprisingly fear doesn't work on people who don't quite have as much a stake in the fear.
Its easy to just not vote when while you know its bad to vote for trump because of these 'fear' reasons, its not a personal motivator.

Even when you do have a stake it doesn't matter much. See the drop off in minority votes, including Latinos.

I seem to remember way back in the Venezuela elections thread about how Venezuelans kept complaining how MUD kept using losing strategies against the PSUV which involved fear of Chavez and his crew rather than campaigning on hope and how they will change the country. Despite those fears being justified, not enough people went to the polls to vote for MUD. Whether it is left or right, poor or rich, fear doesn't bring people to the polls.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Trump is a monster Hitler...."

OK... this made me giggle, and then I started having bad thoughts.

I mean, "monster Hitler." Is there a different kind of Hitler?

And then... well, wouldn't that be a good Goldmine or Phriday? The many different flavors of Hitler! We all know Monster Hitler, but most of us don't acknowledge Vegetarian Hitler, and I'd like to see Artist Hitler dealt with in a way other than ridicule. And if there's Vegetarian Hitler, well, imagine how annoying Vegan Hitler would be, pork pie hat and all. Then there's Runner Hitler, who runs for fun and you know this because the moment you added him as a Facebook friend, your timeline exploded with notices about 5K's, 10K's, half-marathons, marathons, charity races, and fancy sock advertisements. What about Vegan Runner Hitler? Which thing would he tell you about first??

There's probably an I Don't Even Own A TV Hitler out there somewhere, and who knows, maybe a Reads To Little Kids At The Library On Saturdays Hitler. Or Ironic Jewish Hitler?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Monster Hitler better have a bitchin' breath weapon. I'm thinking at least two elements at once

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Would Hitler gain his powers by various items like Mario, or by consuming his enemies whole like Kirby?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Would Hitler gain his powers by various items like Mario, or by consuming his enemies whole like Kirby?

I have a feeling it would be mostly accidental. Like, if he bumps into a douchebag hipster at a party, he becomes Douche Hipster Hitler. A trilby appears out of nowhere and lowers itself to his head, his mustache stays the same but a pair of ridiculous mutton chops instantly grows, and his uniform morphs into a tweed jacket with a plaid pattern and patches on the elbows. Corduroy pants and thrift store loafers complete the metamorphosis. Then, he can't stop talking about IPAs and crochet bombs until he bumps into another person.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Has there been anything from John Oliver since election day?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ausmund posted:

Not for Donald Trump and the minority of the American electorate who voted for him, it didn't.

Quit being an apologist wimp.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Our political commentator here said that that a lot of the Trump voters were "Normal" people but forgot to mention ignorance being the "Normal" state. One statement that stood out was "The messenger isn't perfect but the message is". What an absurd statement to make. makes my head hurt trying to think like that. gently caress these people, go get angry.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

The thing is, letting horrible, horrible things and lies go by without calling them out can be a tacit agreement with them. If you don't call out these things in every instance, they can go by with a pass. That's why a couple of media outlets finally let it all bubble over and picked a side, all too late.

This video I think is relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

There is a difference between calling out something/debating about it, and actively shaming the person behind the thought or reducing him to a brainless caricature.

One of the most loving incredible things I remember about Sanders for example was him actively debating any point or view in a subject. When in the end the other person had enough, Sanders used to say.."ok, we disagree. But go vote! Vote for what you believe in!".

I remember witnessing that, with him going to Liberty University, and talking there amid a crowd of people that would never, ever support him or even aknowledge him. I don't think that he won any voters from that crowd that day, but the image was powerful enough to move a lot of others.

I mean, read this. This is how the left should react and engage people that have diametrically different views about life and the world. Using fear and hate against them is not the correct way. And that was profoundly evident in this election.

quote:

Thank you, President Falwell and David. Thank you very much for inviting my wife, Jane, and me to be with you even this morning. We appreciate the invitation very much.

And let me start off by acknowledging what I think all of you already know. And that is the views that many here at Liberty University have and I, on a number of important issues, are very, very different. I believe in a woman's rights....

And the right of a woman to control her own body.

I believe gay rights and gay marriage.

Those are my views, and it is no secret. But I came here today, because I believe from the bottom of my heart that it is vitally important for those of us who hold different views to be able to engage in a civil discourse.

Too often in our country -- and I think both sides bear responsibility for us -- there is too much shouting at each other. There is too much making fun of each other.

Now, in my view, and I say this as somebody whose voice is hoarse, because I have given dozens of speeches in the last few months, it is easy to go out and talk to people who agree with you. I was in Greensboro, North Carolina, just last night. All right. We had 9,000 people out. Mostly they agreed with me. Tonight, we're going to be in Manassas, and have thousands out and they agree with me. That's not hard to do. That's what politicians by and large do.

We go out and we talk to people who agree with us.

But it is harder, but not less important, for us to try and communicate with those who do not agree with us on every issue.

And it is important to see where if possible, and I do believe it is possible, we can find common ground.

Now, Liberty University is a religious school, obviously.

And all of you are proud of that.

You are a school which, as all of us in our own way, tries to understand the meaning of morality. What does is mean to live a moral life? And you try to understand, in this very complicated modern world that we live in, what the words of the Bible mean in today's society.

You are a school which tries to teach its students how to behave with decency and with honesty and how you can best relate to your fellow human beings, and I applaud you for trying to achieve those goals.

Let me take a moment, or a few moments, to tell you what motivates me in the work that I do as a public servant, as a senator from the state of Vermont. And let me tell you that it goes without saying, I am far, far from being a perfect human being, but I am motivated by a vision, which exists in all of the great religions, in Christianity, in Judaism, in Islam and Buddhism, and other religions.

And that vision is so beautifully and clearly stated in Matthew 7:12, and it states, "So in everything, do to others what you would have them to do to you, for this sums up the war and the prophets." That is the golden rule. Do unto others, what you would have them do to you. That is the golden rule, and it is not very complicated.

Let me be frank, as I said a moment ago. I understand that the issues of abortion and gay marriage are issues that you feel very strongly about. We disagree on those issues. I get that, but let me respectfully suggest that there are other issues out there that are of enormous consequence to our country and in fact to the entire world, that maybe, just maybe, we do not disagree on and maybe, just maybe, we can try to work together to resolve them.

Amos 5:24, "But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream." Justice treating others the way we want to be treated, treating all people, no matter their race, their color, their stature in life, with respect and with dignity.

Now here is my point. Some of you may agree with me, and some of you may not, but in my view, it would be hard for anyone in this room today to make the case that the United States of America, our great country, a country which all of us love, it would be hard to make the case that we are a just society, or anything resembling a just society today.

In the United States of America today, there is massive injustice in terms of income and wealth inequality. Injustice is rampant. We live, and I hope all of you know this, in the wealthiest country in the history of the world.

But most Americans don't know that. Because almost all of that wealth and income is going to the top 1 percent.

You know, that is the truth. We are living in a time -- and I warn all of you if you would, put this in the context of the Bible, not me, in the context of the Bible -- we are living in a time where a handful of people have wealth beyond comprehension. And I'm talking about tens of billions of dollars, enough to support their families for thousands of years. With huge yachts, and jet planes and tens of billions. More money than they would ever know what to do with.

But at that very same moment, there are millions of people in our country, let alone the rest of the world, who are struggling to feed their families. They are struggling to put a roof over their heads, and some of them are sleeping out on the streets. They are struggling to find money in order to go to a doctor when they are sick.

Now, when we talk about morality, and when we talk about justice, we have to, in my view, understand that there is no justice when so few have so much and so many have so little.

There is no justice, and I want you to hear this clearly, when the top one-tenth of 1 percent -- not 1 percent, the top one-tenth of 1 percent -- today in America owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent. And in your hearts, you will have to determine the morality of that, and the justice of that.

In my view, there is no justice, when here, in Virginia and Vermont and all over this country, millions of people are working long hours for abysmally low wages of $7.25 an hour, of $8 an hour, of $9 an hour, working hard, but unable to bring in enough money to adequately feed their kids.

And yet, at that same time, 58 percent of all new income generated is going to the top 1 percent. You have got to think about the morality of that, the justice of that, and whether or not that is what we want to see in our country.

In my view, there is no justice when, in recent years, we have seen a proliferation of millionaires and billionaires, while at the same time the United States of America has the highest rate of childhood poverty of any major country on Earth. How can we? I want you to go into your hearts, how can we talk about morality, about justice, when we turn our backs on the children of our country?

Now you have got to think about it. You have to think about it and you have to feel it in your guts. Are you content? Do you think it's moral when 20 percent of the children in this country, the wealthiest country in the history of the world, are living in poverty? Do you think it is acceptable that 40 percent of African American children are living in poverty?

In my view, there is no justice, and morality suffers when in our wealthy country, millions of children go to bed hungry. That is not morality and that is not in my view ... what America should be about.

In my view, there is no justice when the 15 wealthiest people in this country in the last two years -- two years -- saw their wealth increase by $170 billion. Two years. The wealthiest 15 people in this country saw their wealth increase by $170 billion.

My friends, that is more wealth acquired in a two-year period than is owned by the bottom 130 million Americans. And while the very, very rich become much richer, millions of families have no savings at all. Nothing in the bank. And they worry every single day that if their car breaks down, they cannot get to work, and if they cannot get to work, they lose their jobs.

And if they lose their jobs, they do not feed their family. In the last two years, 15 people saw $170 billion increase in their wealth, 45 million Americans live in poverty. That in my view is not justice. That is a rigged economy, designed by the wealthiest people in this country to benefit the wealthiest people in this country at the expense of everybody else.

In my view, there is no justice when thousands of Americans die every single year because they do not have any health insurance and do not go to a doctor when they should. I have talked personally to doctors throughout Vermont and physicians around the country. And without exception, they tell me there are times when patients walk into their office very, very sick and they say, why didn't you come in here when you're sick? And the answer is, I do not have any health insurance or I have a high deductible or I thought the problem would get better. And sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes they die because they lack health insurance.

That is not justice. That is not morality. People should not be dying in the United States of America when they are sick.

What that is, is an indication that we are the only major country on earth that does not guarantee health care to all people as a right, and I think we should change that.

And I think -- I think that when we talk about morality, what we are talking about is all of God's children. The poor, the wretched, they have a right to go to a doctor when they are sick.

You know, there is a lot of talk in this country from politicians about family values. You have all heard that. Well, let me tell you about a family value.

In my view, there is no justice when low income and working class mothers are forced to separate from their babies one or two weeks after birth and go back to work because they need the money that their jobs provide. Now I know everybody here -- we all are, maybe in different ways, but all of us believe in family values.

Jane and I have four kids. We have seven beautiful grandchildren. We believe in family values. But it is not a family value when all of you know that the most important moments and time of a human being's life is the first weeks and months after that baby is born. That is the moment when mothers bonds with the baby; gets to love and know her baby -- dad is there as well. That is what a family is about. And those of you -- at least those of you who are parents -- more parents back here than there I suspect. You know what an unforgettable moment that is. What an important moment that is. And I want you to think, whether you believe it is a family value, that the United States of America is the only -- only -- major country on earth that does not provide paid family and medical leave.

Now in English, what that means is that all over the world when a woman has her baby she is guaranteed the right because society understands how important that moment is. She is guaranteed the right to stay home and get income in order to nurture her baby. And that is why I believe when we talk about family values that the United States government must provide at least 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave.

In my view there is no justice in our country when youth unemployment exists at tragically high levels. I requested a study last month from a group of economists. And what they told me is that 51 percent of African American high school graduates between the ages of 17 and 20 are unemployed or underemployed -- 51 percent.

We have in this country sufficient amounts of money to put more people in jail than any other country on earth. The United States has more people in jail than China; a communist authoritarian country.

But apparently we do not have enough money to provide jobs and education to our young people. I believe that's wrong.
I am not a theologian, I am not an expert on the Bible, nor am I a Catholic. I am just a United States senator from the small state of Vermont. But I agree with Pope Francis, who will soon be coming to visit us in the United States.

I agree with Pope Francis when he says, and I quote, "The current financial crisis originated in a profound human crisis, the denial of the primacy of the human person," and this is what he writes: "We have created new idols. The worship of the ancient golden calf has returned in a new and ruthless guise in the idolatry of money and the dictatorship of an impersonal economy lacking a truly human purpose," end of quote.

And the pope also writes, quote, "There is a need for financial reform along ethical lines that would produce in its turn an economic reform to benefit everyone. Money has to serve, not to rule," end of quote.

Now those are pretty profound words, which I hope we will all think about. In the pope's view, and I agree with him, we are living in a nation and in a world, and the Bible speaks to this issue, in a nation and in a world which worships not love of brothers and sisters, not love of the poor and the sick, but worships the acquisition of money and great wealth. I do not believe that is the country we should be living in.

Money and wealth should serve the people. The people should not have to serve money and wealth. (APPLAUSE)

Throughout human history, there has been endless discussion. It is part of who we are as human beings, people who think and ask questions, endless discussion and debate about the meaning of justice and about the meaning of morality. And I know that here at Liberty University, those are the kinds of discussions you have every day, and those are the kinds of discussions you should be having and the kinds of discussions we should be having all over America.

I would hope, and I conclude with this thought, I would hope very much that as part of that discussion and part of that learning process, some of you will conclude that if we are honest in striving to be a moral and just society, it is imperative that we have the courage to stand with the poor, to stand with working people and when necessary, take on very powerful and wealthy people whose greed, in my view, is doing this country enormous harm.

Thank you all very much.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/09/14/bernie-sanders-liberty-university-speech-annotated/

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 12, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sander's message is great, if you "Think" about. But it doesn't sound bite unless you are like Obama and spam "Hope". Also could have adopted more of Sanders platform or brought him in as VP. Hillary's ability to get it done matched with the fire of Sanders. If Sanders could work with her, so can you. It would have stopped the massive amount of friendly fire and help bring in the mistaken third party voters which were through the roof this year.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Grouchio posted:

Has there been anything from John Oliver since election day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJBqhhzcguM

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dante80 posted:

This video I think is relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

There is a difference between calling out something/debating about it, and actively shaming the person behind the thought or reducing him to a brainless caricature.

That's a very good video, but I'd argue that to some degree, "rising above" being dirty is disengaging from the debate. The media, out of courtesy, barely ever mentioned how Trump's business career was a series of horrible failures, and it humored so many of his outright lies.

I would absolutely agree though that the onus for losing the election is on the democrats, because they hosed up their whole strategy and approach.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

oohhboy posted:

Sander's message is great, if you "Think" about. But it doesn't sound bite unless you are like Obama and spam "Hope". Also could have adopted more of Sanders platform or brought him in as VP. Hillary's ability to get it done matched with the fire of Sanders. If Sanders could work with her, so can you. It would have stopped the massive amount of friendly fire and help bring in the mistaken third party voters which were through the roof this year.

Picking either Sanders or Warren for VP would have been a bad choice. If you actually care about the policy goals of either of them you want them in the Senate, not in a glorified do nothing position like VP.

However, she definitely should have found someone from the Progressive wing of the party that she could both get along with for 8 years and was a big enough name that it meant something. Perez would have been a good choice, since it would not only give a nod toward the Progressive wing but also reassure Labor that Clinton had their back. It would have been using the symbolic nature of the position to the full effect without doing anything to the Democratic Bench other than making you find a new AG/Labor Secretary/Whatever job Perez would have had in Hillary's administration.

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's a very good video, but I'd argue that to some degree, "rising above" being dirty is disengaging from the debate. The media, out of courtesy, barely ever mentioned how Trump's business career was a series of horrible failures, and it humored so many of his outright lies.

I would absolutely agree though that the onus for losing the election is on the democrats, because they hosed up their whole strategy and approach.

The basket of deplorables comment was a decent start down this path, but then they never followed up on it. They let the media and Trump run with it being a condemnation of all of Trump's voters until it died down and was forgotten. It should have been a center point of the attack strategy. It lets you pump up the fear and anger that they seem to have wanted while also letting you immediately pivot into a conciliatory and positive argument for the vote of the other half of Trump's base. It lets you call out all the racism, bigotry, hate and disgusting acts of Trump's side while simultaneously telling Trump's voters "But, I know that's not YOU. That's those other guys. You're reasonable and I want to listen to you."

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

raditts posted:

I don't think it's as simple as that though. For example, see Black Lives Matter whose message is mainly "stop stereotyping and killing black people over trivial poo poo" to which the response is that they're somehow "encouraging racism" and are "a terrorist hate group" that some people see fit to compare to the loving Klan. All for the audacity of not wanting to be treated as less than human.

The most interesting example was one I saw today where, in comparing BLM to the KKK, referred to them instead as "Thug Lives Matter."
Those feelings are appropriate and justifiable, but how does getting angry and hating them accomplish anything? People don't really think about it... they just react. It's just an endless cycle of hate and it's ripping the country apart. It's not helping.

Mulva posted:

It's also completely wrong. Hate is a useful emotion. It can be bad when overindulged in, and if you can't put it behind you.....but it can be a *profound* motivator for action. And action is a value neutral proposition. It can get bad people out to do bad things, or good people out to do good things. The pretense that there is something you can say, some kind step you can take, some olive branch you can offer to make terrible people better is profoundly dangerous. You can help a lot of people, but not everyone. And when that "not everyone" is millions of people who are absolutely willing to drag you and the rest of the world into an unloved grave with them? You still have to do something about it. If hate is what is needed to get people to oppose them, well, one side is pretty fine with funding the mental health services needed to deal with the aftermath.
Trump won, why would anyone listen to you? Maybe hating terrible people for being terrible doesn't make them better. Maybe you can't MAKE people better. You can't force people to have correct opinions. But that doesn't mean it's not worth believing in either. It's a complicated situation with no easy answer. But hate, even used as a tactic for good has been proven not to work and is incredibly destructive.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So why isn't calling them out working? Then what? I think it really lies in the approach of how they're called out. Instead of punishing and shaming people, the focus should be on rehabilitating them and informing them in non-confrontation, non-aggressive way.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Not for Donald Trump and the minority of the American electorate who voted for him, it didn't.

Quit being an apologist wimp.
I didn't say it backfired on Trump. It backfired on his oposition because they became the thing they were against. People need to learn from this election instead of reacting angrily.

Also no need for name calling, friend.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hate is a very strong tool to send people to polls. Fear is not. Trump used hate. Hillary used fear. While turnout was down for Republicans, it was obvious why as Trump was a radical who alienated humongous chunks of their base, but for Dems it free fell.
Trump got less votes than Romney. All the hate and fear just made people disenfranchised and they stayed home. It's not a tool at all. It's crap.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Washington DC, the city you think so little about less than a half of you even bothered to vote last Tuesday.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
James Comey, or the neighbor's kid who plays with matches next to a pile of dry leaves on a windy day. Put down the matches Jimmy! I want to believe you that you're not intentionally trying to set the neighborhood on fire but you keep playing with them next to the dry leaves and... oh, now the entire neighborhood is on fire. Well done Jimmy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do kind of hope that John brings up the people who are trying to convince-by-protest enough liberal-leaning electors to 'install' Hillary. I despise Trump, and even *I* think these people need to shut the gently caress up and take their medicine, because even if they persuaded them, she'd have *no* authority or mandate whatsoever. None. Part of being an American means eating poo poo once in a while, if only to keep your immune system busy.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Would McMuffin be better or worse than Trump?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do kind of hope that John brings up the people who are trying to convince-by-protest enough liberal-leaning electors to 'install' Hillary. I despise Trump, and even *I* think these people need to shut the gently caress up and take their medicine, because even if they persuaded them, she'd have *no* authority or mandate whatsoever. None. Part of being an American means eating poo poo once in a while, if only to keep your immune system busy.

No, the protests are playing a vital role in setting the tone for the next 2 years of policy before the mid-term election. At face value they're an impotent gesture but they do have a political meaning much more important than simply, 'no lol Hillary should have won'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

No, the protests are playing a vital role in setting the tone for the next 2 years of policy before the mid-term election. At face value they're an impotent gesture but they do have a political meaning much more important than simply, 'no lol Hillary should have won'.

I realize this, but it's getting things started on the wrong foot. I'm tired of seeing 'the opposition' tire themselves out on something that has no hope of succeeding, then letting apathy set in. As it stands they'll be howling about a never-going-to-happen Hail Mary until December 19th, and they'll tucker themselves out and get all butthurt and discouraged when they 'fail.' For all the horrible the right wing did in 2008 and 2012, I do not remember them ever advocating this.

The right wing has coalitions and megachurches. The left has, what, MSNBC? That needs to change - the 'cathedrals' of the left cannot be rallies held every four years. This is as much our fault as it is Hillary's campaign just assuming she was going to win - Obama got elected and most of liberal America reacted with "cool, you got this, bro?" and hosed off into ambivalence for eight years. The ACA would have been unassailable if even 1-5% of his voters personally advocated and called Congress in favor of it, but we didn't. Left-wing white America liked a black guy doing all their work, and then had the audacity to call him a "lame duck" when he didn't have the mandate that they themselves could have given him.

It's not "the liberal left" anymore, it's "the *lazy* left," and that poo poo needs to change. Say what you want about the right wing, their platform might be abhorrent, but they have *focus*. The left has millions upon millions of 'pet issues' that consistently spoil the overarching narrative. You don't beat them by joining them, which is what I'm afraid the Democrats will do, because it's what they've been doing by inching further and further to the right since Billy ~embarrassed~ them and 9/11 cowed them all into abandoning their ideals and voting against civil liberties lest they be seen as being soft on terror and 'responsible' for a follow-up attack.

poo poo's burning/burned down, but the energy doesn't need to be focused on impractical and impossible measures. Every iota of it needs to be harnessed towards rebuilding something starting *now*.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 13, 2016

• Locked thread