Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New teaser for the Valerian trailer. Not much, but you can see how their ship looks like.

https://twitter.com/ValerianMovie/status/796405846116745216

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool. Was worried they were going to shy away from the original design to avoid Millennium Falcon comparisons.

Still super cautious with my optimism.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

feedmyleg posted:

Great, replace one hack with another. At least Singer only hosed up one franchise.

Does Superman count?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

New teaser for the Valerian trailer. Not much, but you can see how their ship looks like.

https://twitter.com/ValerianMovie/status/796405846116745216

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Does Superman count?

I don't think he can take credit for killing a franchise that's already dead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Does Superman count?

Superman Returns is legitimately great, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

Superman Returns is legitimately great, though.

And yet it's still the final nail in the coffin that Superman IV built. A coffin it had to dig up from the cold ground, at that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Singer tried to resurrect a dead body with a defibrillator, which made it jump and show promising signs of life. It was a noble effort but an impossible task.

Trying too hard to tie it to the original films sunk it. If he's had a better script that wasn't obsessed with nostalgia, plus just a touch more action it could have been great.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Freeze those knees, my chickadees, 'cause Valerian is on the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o2XWgjCTjc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can someone who knows something about cinematography explain to me why Captain America: Winter Soldier was compared to 70s thrillers? I see some superficial similarities to the Bourne films, and I suppose some similarities to 60s-70s Italian crime films, but I'm not seeing any similarity to Three Days of the Condor or Get Carter or Raid on Entebbe in how it was filmed.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Can someone who knows something about cinematography explain to me why Captain America: Winter Soldier was compared to 70s thrillers? I see some superficial similarities to the Bourne films, and I suppose some similarities to 60s-70s Italian crime films, but I'm not seeing any similarity to Three Days of the Condor or Get Carter or Raid on Entebbe in how it was filmed.

The comparison is in the story, the themes, and some scenes which reference 70s thrillers. It doesn't look like those movies; it looks like the Bourne Legacy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A plot pillar of a "70s political thriller" is that the protag discovers his own agency is compromised/working against him, and he's cut off without support from them. So yes, Winter Soldier has that going for it.

Politically, Winter Soldier is about as far from the 70s mold as you can get.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, it's believable that 70s political thrillers were one of their inspirations, but it's clearly not an attempt to reproduce them, not that anyone involved with the making of the film claimed that it would be.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

The comparison is in the story, the themes, and some scenes which reference 70s thrillers. It doesn't look like those movies; it looks like the Bourne Legacy.

There's also the Robert Redford thing, which had people drawing ham-fisted comparisons to stuff like Three Days of the Condor.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It also helps that Winter Soldier features Robert Redford, star of Three Days of the Condor and All the President's Men.

Edit: beaten like a dickless bureaucrat
Edit2: even though the timestamp shows my post was earlier...?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 10, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

There's also the Robert Redford thing, which had people drawing ham-fisted comparisons to stuff like Three Days of the Condor.

Definitely, he's one of the references. I can believe things like the elevator scene were inspired by the similar scene in Three Days of the Condor, though obviously Joe Turner didn't escape through the wall of a glass elevator after an elaborate martial arts brawl involving future-tech gadgets.

Lobok posted:

Edit: beaten like a dickless bureaucrat
Edit2: even though the timestamp shows my post was earlier...?

Yeah, it's something the Comic Book Movie thread is doing to promote Doctor Strange.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 10, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, it's something the Comic Book Movie thread is doing to promote Doctor Strange.

On an old message board I used to go to we would do "reverse" threads every now and then. You would post something like "wow that's the worst movie opinion I've ever heard" and the next user would post something that fit as if their post had come first and they would also include some kind of response or reaction so someone else could continue the chain.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone have a game we could play together in this thread? Old forums used to be full of them.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

In defense of The Winter Soldier, I'm not sure it actually was compared to 70's political thrillers a whole lot. It's an easy and satisfying line to rag on because, as others have pointed out, the similarities are superficial at best and it's a comparison that makes Winter Soldier look wanting, but I think there were like one or two interviews where a Russo mentioned the term, and then a handful of reviews that cited it, but at this point I've been more people mock the comparison than make the comparison

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alehkhs posted:

Still no Shingouz...

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Halloween Jack posted:

The camera was pointed at Robert Redford for several whole minutes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jenny Angel posted:

In defense of The Winter Soldier, I'm not sure it actually was compared to 70's political thrillers a whole lot. It's an easy and satisfying line to rag on because, as others have pointed out, the similarities are superficial at best and it's a comparison that makes Winter Soldier look wanting, but I think there were like one or two interviews where a Russo mentioned the term, and then a handful of reviews that cited it, but at this point I've been more people mock the comparison than make the comparison
Well, I was entertained either way. I want to see the Russo brothers remake The Eiger Sanction next.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/LZyBtp2.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/VGyz5h4.gifv

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jenny Angel posted:

Marvel‘s Kevin Feige posted:

"We hired our directors on Cap because they loved our explanation that we really want to make a ’70s political thriller masquerading as a big superhero movie,"
Over time the Russo's started to just say 70's thriller s were an inspiration, rather than being in the genre itself.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this quote by the Russo's from earlier this year - made during a Q&A session somewhere:

The Russo's posted:

“…’Winter Soldier’ was a political thriller. We think of ‘Civil War’ as a psychological thriller.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 10, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it was after that bullshit that the mocking of it renewed with a fever

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Bourne movies are political thrillers, so hard to take fault with the Russo quote.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
By contrast, Beavis is both a political and psychological thriller, but looks like an apocalyptic sci-fi epic.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still no Shingouz...

They're in.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Anyone have a game we could play together in this thread? Old forums used to be full of them.

Summarize your favorite comic movie with 3 screenshots.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Electromax posted:

Summarize your favorite comic movie with 3 screenshots.
I was actually just trying to play his game, but it didn't work :(

In fairness, I'm not sure it was gonna be a very fun game.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alehkhs posted:

They're in.

Yesss!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Alehkhs posted:

Awesome! I have been itching for a sequel to Jupiter Ascending!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alehkhs posted:

:flashfap:

edit:You also can't have a Valerian movie (or Valerian anything really) without Shingouz.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 11, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If BvS is beavis, then who is butthead?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Freakazoid_ posted:

If BvS is beavis, then who is butthead?

Suicide Squad

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

K. Waste posted:

Suicide Squad

Only took one post, lol.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Reminder that Civil War's directors compared it to The Godfather and Seven.

Fuckin' Wolverine 2 was compared to Chinatown, Black Narcissus, The French Connection, and basically a good chunk of the Criterion Collection.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Reminder that Civil War's directors compared it to ... Seven.

Well that explains where Pepper Potts was during it, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cyborg is gonna take inspiration from T2, Robocop, and Killer of Sheep.

• Locked thread