Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Trump wants to open up libel laws and he'll likely have a SCOTUS majority that supports doing so, so they should be pretty afraid if they ever say mean things about politicians and/or rich people, especially Trump.

SCOTUS is an enigma until they get 5 Alitos.

Roberts, Thomas, and Kennedy are conservative as gently caress, but they are not party hacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Seams posted:

starting to believe that any candidate other than clinton would've beaten trump.
i'm also starting to believe things that cannot ever be proven, because it feels good and makes me seem smart

wait am i religious now

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

I think this piece of art explains whats going on with the average Trump supporter.

It's an important piece, a beautiful piece.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

bump_fn posted:

9i was on a depressed media blackout and missed the protest in chicago

going there now

quote this when im on trumps list

we're all on trump's list already

the :nsa: is swallowing the internet into datacenters :tinfoil:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

cams posted:

i'm also starting to believe things that cannot ever be proven, because it feels good and makes me seem smart

wait am i religious now

well yeah

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

Q: will rural whites vote democrat if the democrats help them the way they know how (government programs)

Covok posted:

Nope, they voted for the repeal Obamacare guy thinking it would bring their premiums down and got mad that Dems tried to give them health care.

To use this as an example:

Obamacare is bad policy. I don't want to debate the nuts and bolts here, but the Dems didn't "give them health care", Dems forced them to buy health care that they cannot afford. Granted, this wasn't all Obama's fault with Medicare expansion being optional and all the hoops that needed to be cleared for this giveaway to private insurers to pass but the reality is what it is. It has some great provisions (elimination of preexisting conditions) with some irritating to red staters provisions (allowing financial incentives to individually punish you for legal behaviors) and some absolutely bad ones (forcing the poorest people to use for-profit healthcare).

Above all though it still reeks of exactly the kind of elitism they would expect from Democrats. It's imposed on them completely, they cannot opt-out (reminder, this was a point of differentiation between Obama and Hillary in the '08 primaries with Obama saying his plan would be totally optional). It doesn't address the problems with rising costs at all except for the one-time benefit of having a bunch of new, healthy enrollees keeping down the global cost of insurance until rising medical costs catch up. And on top of that for a majority of these people it's something they simply can't afford at any cost.

Most incrementalist liberals would argue this two ways: 1) It's a foot in the door and while it's imperfect, it will be well-received enough to force future lawmakers to improve it rather than eliminate it and 2) at least you have health insurance now. The fact is when you're living paycheck to paycheck you don't care about either of those things but WELP you guys are dumb and don't know better so trust us this is best for you.

Obviously this is politicized beyond this and few people are well-informed about the nuances of the ACA but in my experience it boils down to the simple fact that they (correctly) feel that they are being told they are not to be trusted with managing their own health care needs so the government will force them to do it whether they like it or not or whether it works for them or not. While they're often missing a lot of the facts I can't help but feel they might have a point.

But to answer your exact question, I'm sure they'd vote for a Democrat who instead of bailing out the banks decided to, say, invest in massive infrastructure make-work projects in rural areas after the financial collapse. Worked for FDR and pretty much was responsible for dragging the south into the 20th century. This isn't complicated stuff, it's been done before and to great effect and the only reason it isn't done today is because no one cares.

Sorry if that got too long.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Montasque posted:

I think this piece of art explains whats going on with the average Trump supporter.

It's an important piece, a beautiful piece.

i'm a big fan of the random andrew jackson

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

cams posted:

wait am i religious now

it's ok, i'm religious now too

it just turns out that "god" is either evil (and boy was jesus wrong lmbo) or Trump is the anti-christ

maybe that's why he hates dogs. Because they sense the evil in him and attack first?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Schnorkles posted:

Not any, and Clinton probably could have taken out a normal GOP candidate. It's a complicated election like they usually are.

Dems needed a populist, Reps got one they don't know how to handle.

Bernie was the wrong kind of populist. Being honest and telling people their taxes are going to go up is a sure fire way to lose an election. Bernie needed to make big promises like Trump, "all of your dreams will come true" and lie about paying for things by closing loopholes and relying on economic growth to cover the rest.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
gently caress health insurance companies.

get rid of the for-profit middleman

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Fullhouse posted:

gently caress off

poo poo hit the fan after Brexit. This is relatively calm in comparison.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

TyrantWD posted:

Bernie was the wrong kind of populist. Being honest and telling people their taxes are going to go up is a sure fire way to lose an election. Bernie needed to make big promises like Trump, "all of your dreams will come true" and lie about paying for things by closing loopholes and relying on economic growth to cover the rest.

I'm not sure tbh. Bernie had weaknesses that people here like to ignore, but he was cut from the right stuff to do really well this election.

We've got a whole bunch of angry white midwesterners from best I can tell and god knows what to do about it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

Trumps poor white voting block lists terrorism, black people killing cops, and mexicans steeling jobs as what they care about most so idk wtf yall are thinking with this "these people will get on board if we go even farther left"

Noted low-information Hillary supporter telling us why classism is actually cool and good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Schnorkles posted:

I'm not sure tbh. Bernie had weaknesses that people here like to ignore, but he was cut from the right stuff to do really well this election.

We've got a whole bunch of angry white midwesterners from best I can tell and god knows what to do about it

Hard to say. I thought Bernie would be sunk on lack of international policy knowledge but obviously that wasn't important.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

I'm afraid you are correct. I loving hate guns too.

If you've never fired one before, you'll get over it. They can be fun if you have good targets (like old fruit). If you have some friends with land in the country its a good place to learn.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

so is Trump gonna do anything objectively good for the country or

He's going to make America great again, haven't you been paying attention?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

The only good thing about this terrible night is that Trump supporter meltdowns will be so, so, so much better now that they all have become certain of victory

A decidedly #unwoke post.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/xeni/status/796555372290973696

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pick posted:

Hard to say. I thought Bernie would be sunk on lack of international policy knowledge but obviously that wasn't important.

:same:

I voted him for primary even so. Have y'all refreshed yourselves with Trumps 100 day plan? Gonna be a shitshow.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Darkman Fanpage posted:

bernie sanders: maybe we shouldn't poo poo all over these people who have seen their communities fall apart as their jobs are shipped overseas.
hillary clinton: lol gently caress that poo poo #yolo #itsmyturn #fuckingdeporables

Yinlock posted:

NecroMonster posted:

you can treat rural whites as human beings without humoring their bigotry

this should be in giant bold letters in every thread

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TyrantWD posted:

poo poo hit the fan after Brexit. This is relatively calm in comparison.
Well, to be fair, we're still only in Day 1 of Year Zero.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
seems to me that trump, for all his populist appeal, didnt really mobilise that many more voters than usual for a GOP nominee. seems to be slightly lower if anything. he just won enough votes in the right areas.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fuckin magnet schools

how do they work

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

anyone other than hillary would have won, and it's not really hillary's fault she lost

this isn't really worth talking about

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

wow love this rural whites dont know whats good for them talk, you guys are really crackin the code here

imagine if you said black people instead lmao

come back to me when black people vote en masse for the idiot person

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

NecroMonster posted:

anyone other than hillary would have won, and it's not really hillary's fault she lost

I'm not sure Jim Webb would have won.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Am I going blind? Is that Teddy loving Roosevelt applauding Barack Obama standing on the constitution? How the gently caress

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

And I'm POSITIVE that Lincoln Chaffee had no chance of winning.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The Democrats should be withdrawing from the government completely and doing nothing but staging protests the next four years. Instead the biggest firebrands they have, Bernie and Warren are putting out statements about how they're so ready to work with Trump.

That's because they know that real, actual people are affected by politics and they want to do as much good as they can no matter the circumstances.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fullhouse posted:

it hasn't even been 24 hours

someone should make a thread to collect these for the next four to eight years. Like the terrible family emails thread but more gross

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

LastInLine posted:

But to answer your exact question, I'm sure they'd vote for a Democrat who instead of bailing out the banks decided to, say, invest in massive infrastructure make-work projects in rural areas after the financial collapse. Worked for FDR and pretty much was responsible for dragging the south into the 20th century. This isn't complicated stuff, it's been done before and to great effect and the only reason it isn't done today is because no one cares.

The answers are there and I'm hopeful with this loss we can wash away some of the Clinton stink and do it. Automation and technology is going to increase the number of people left behind in the economy so things like that are just what we need. Some people have a hard time understanding the mindset of those voting Trump, many had once voted Obama, but when you're drowning you grab any hand reaching out.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

And I'm POSITIVE that Lincoln Chaffee had no chance of winning.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Venom Snake posted:

Our fort has been made a Barony. Appreciate the congrats to our local Baron Squizzle

a good choice

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Hello fellow kentuckian. We are well and truly hosed now :smith:

how many exist

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

Hillarys number one problem is her campaign was all over the place and had zero focus

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
At this point all we can do is wait for the trump voters to prove themselves wrong when trump doesn't deliver, they certainly aren't going to listen to us, probably never would have anyway. It's kind of relieving, I guess. :(

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

there was a lot of like 'lol let the rural whites die theyre irrelevant' not so much here but esp. in d&d leading up to the election. clearly uh, that was the wrong approach. yeah i'm definitely thinking bernie's was better

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Studio posted:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

I love the metric system too OKAY!?!?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

someone should make a thread to collect these for the next four to eight years. Like the terrible family emails thread but more gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Zas posted:

there was a lot of like 'lol let the rural whites die theyre irrelevant' not so much here but esp. in d&d leading up to the election. clearly uh, that was the wrong approach. yeah i'm definitely thinking bernie's was better

biden knew.

biden knew.

• Locked thread