Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hillarys word salad answers and lack of being able to convey positions made her unlikeable to me. And the wall st poo poo but that's the bernout in me talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
kanye west lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

"Yeah, I wanna take your coal mine job. I wanna take it and bury it at that bottom of the mine, where nobody ever has to work it again. And I'm going to replace it with a safe job in a solar/renewable/green energy plant, where you get benefits and a full lunch break and overtime, and you can go home and enjoy your family past age 50 instead of dying of black lung so this rear end in a top hat doesn't have to pay full rates on his power bill for Trump Tower."

loving this

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I feel like she might have done better had she been allowed to just be her boring self instead of her attempts to seem personable that everyone could see right through. Trumped Up Trickle Down? Jesus.

Yeah. When Hilldawg was being herself she came across as a huge geek rear end dork, but in a much more relateable way. The rest of the time you could tell it was all a carefully managed stage production, and when one of your biggest criticisms is that you seem fake maybe its time to drop the careful management.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

"Yeah, I wanna take your coal mine job. I wanna take it and bury it at that bottom of the mine, where nobody ever has to work it again. And I'm going to replace it with a safe job in a solar/renewable/green energy plant, where you get benefits and a full lunch break and overtime, and you can go home and enjoy your family past age 50 instead of dying of black lung so this rear end in a top hat doesn't have to pay full rates on his power bill for Trump Tower."

it's laughable how this never occurred to anyone lol
mining coal is loving terrible. you think those people liked that poo poo? it was all they had

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

*we'd probably only need < 10% of you to work at these places and I really doubt any of you would meet the job requirements without a 4 year degree.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
I think the left democrats should probably get in touch with groups like the guys who took over the UK Labour party. they could probably shed some light on unfucking a neo-liberal political party

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

resar posted:

I think the left democrats should probably get in touch with groups like the guys who took over the UK Labour party. they could probably shed some light on unfucking a neo-liberal political party

even i think corbyn is a little nuts.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Fullhouse posted:

mining coal is loving terrible. you think those people liked that poo poo? it was all they had

You'll never leave Harlan alive.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

basically i hold that retraining for those who can, fully subsidized in new industries, combined with BIG TIME incentives to move emerging business to these regions, combined with MASSSIVE infrastructure spending, and failing that, a GMI for these people, so they can live in comfort, above the poverty level, while the small town rural world just sort of slowly dies.

I think you get more on the mark when you talk about it like that, yeah.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Zythrst posted:

You'll never leave Harlan alive.

get the coal miners jobs in rocketry. make NASA great again

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fullhouse posted:

it would be even better if you used it to sell the smart grid too by going "oh yeah and the next time a big storm rolls through your state you won't lose power for weeks on end because you got these fancy utility batteries that are capturing your new solar panels."
but farttttttt

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

anime was right posted:

even i think corbyn is a little nuts.

Corbyn is a cool dude who buys his shirts from the co-op.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Obama seems like a real guy you could smoke a joint with. Clinton is such a constructed personality that Max Headroom is more relatable

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Like Democrats are such loving nerds we keep falling for the trap of thinking milquetoast debate club presidents are good candidates because they're so smart and their hearts are in the right place and voters will come around once they learn how good we are with spreadsheets. Gore, Kerry, now Clinton plus probably a dozen more from before I wasn't a child.

I fell for it again and now lots of bad poo poo is going to happen, none of which will land on me, a white dude with a high paying tech job in NYC.

"Good candidates are ones that get people excited about voting for them." If I ever loving forget that please smack me in the loving head until I learn it again.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

HannibalBarca posted:

It could have worked, but the campaign seemed reluctant to provide actual specifics on what a continuation of the Obama presidency meant. The Dems never seemed to make a coherent argument on the issues. We all saw the same Clinton ads over and over again of little kids looking at Trump on the TV, or whatever. And all those ads did nothing but ensure that we'll all be seeing Trump on the TV for a long time to come.

The problem is that a) informed voters knew continuation meant a gop held house wasn't gonna let poo poo though anyway, and b) uninformed voters were frustrated with rising healthcare costs and stagnated wages and decided to throw a brick through the window.

Barack Obama doesn't have a high approval rating because of the poo poo he's done, because he's been unable to do poo poo for the last 6 years. He has a high approval rating because he has a once in a lifetime personality for a politician. Clinton doesn't have that, and her Obama veteran team wasn't able to figure out that Obama's magic couldn't be rubbed off on Clinton.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HannibalBarca posted:

Did you ever meet people like Mook or Podesta? What was the impression you got from them? Because I am beyond furious with them now. I think this is at their feet in a lot of ways.

Iv met both but never talked to either on a regular basis ever. Mook was 100% certain in data and models which proved hilariously inaccurate and Podesta was more in that "we need to harness populism or were hosed" area. Both are done now though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
obama is one of the top 100 coolest people on the planet. obama won in part because he is einstein levels of cool.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

Venom Snake, I hope you're right the DNC will bend the knee to Sanders. I was basically a establishment backer (New York Yuppie liberal that donated every four years) my entire life, and holy poo poo, I want to run the Clinton's out of the country right now.

In all honesty, I mocked Sander's chances during the primaries, but he was absolutely right about everything so gently caress me. I'm not really alone either. There's just a complete collapse in faith in the DNC amongst the liberal professionals I know, and they backed Clinton 100% until the moment everyone realized they were taken for a ride.

If the Sanders faction makes a play for New York, DO NOT loving block him. You're risking open war with your ur-base.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Venom Snake posted:

Iv met both but never talked to either on a regular basis ever. Mook was 100% certain in data and models which proved hilariously inaccurate and Podesta was more in that "we need to harness populism or were hosed" area. Both are done now though.

hire me, i write posts on the internet and i'm right sometimes.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Venom Snake posted:

Mook was 100% certain in data and models which proved hilariously inaccurate

This is the impression I got, yeah. Christ, what a mess.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
How about the newly elected senators (Harris and Duckworth?) Do they have a chance of becoming a part of the leadership?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Necc0 posted:

love trumps hate was the dumbest loving slogan ever

but we go high when they go low though right????

There is nobody left at the helm to block him. Obamas hosed because his legacy just got flushed down the toilet. The Clintons have given up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shadowhand00 posted:

How about the newly elected senators (Harris and Duckworth?) Do they have a chance of becoming a part of the leadership?

i mean they can be involved but its way too early for them to think about a serious run for president

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

anime was right posted:

obama is one of the top 100 coolest people on the planet. obama won in part because he is einstein levels of cool.

He really is. You know I didn't actually dislike him until he 'both sides' Dapl. I was like yeah he's weak and corporate and I probably should have been looking for better people to support, but didn't loath him until then.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

resar posted:

said corbynists are getting crushed in the next GE so I wouldn't be too smug or anything

that being said Gabbard 2020?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean they can be involved but its way too early for them to think about a serious run for president

well you know what they say about first term senators

they know what they are doing

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Speaking of Robby Mook. One tip I'd have for future campaigns is to not have your staff go on cable news to lie their asses off while ginning like loving loons.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think enough time has passed to talk about how scapegoating Russia and painting Trump as an agent of the Kremlin was a dumb idea.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think enough time has passed to talk about how scapegoating Russia and painting Trump as an agent of the Kremlin was a dumb idea.

There was a moment in one of the debates where Clinton got asked point blank about something she said in the leaked emails and she immediately pivoted to Russia. I mean, personally, I think that Trump is a useful idiot for Putin and friends, but god drat it was stupid politics to make this a centerpiece of the campaign.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

he was absolutely russia's candidate of choice dude

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i mean it is true

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

maybe hillary shouldnt have hired a guy named Mook

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clinton did not lose because she pushed false narratives, she lost because she had no narrative for herself

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

maybe hillary shouldnt have hired a guy named Mook

Blistering Takes on my part tonight, all night

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

he was absolutely russia's candidate of choice dude

Did that resonate with voters though? I can't imagine anyone outside the intelligentsia in the big cities cared about that, and hey, guess what, we already had those. Maybe I'm wrong though, I dunno. gently caress it, there were so many mistakes, and this was just one of them.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

actually i think that worked pretty well. one of the few things that did work well, but yeah.

like assuming the polls got ANYTHING right at all, which is probably a safe assumption, trump took major hits for the russia stuff on several occasions

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That got a couple of army gently caress yeah conservatives I know to switch their vote to johnson. Pretty stupid to run with it as a major part of the campaign though

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this was their diversionary tactic for the leaks

but yes it was incredibly stupid

every stupid loving media organization including npr et al were fanning these totally unfounded russia conspiracy theories it was farcical

also there's a bunch of stupid loving articles today about russia celebrating the trump victory lmao you've lost you dont have to continue the stupid russian conspiracy theory you idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The trend of people going "It's not that America's racist, it's that she failed to court midwestern voters" is dumb. Yes, obviously in hindsight she should have done that. What people are ignoring is that it's Trump. It's a man who a month ago the sheer notion of becoming president was thought as impossible with numerous sexual assault claims. A person who called for banning the immigration of Muslim Americans. A person who openly mocked a disabled reporter. A person who showed profound ignorance every time he stepped on a debate stage.

Do you remember how the 47% tape or Dukakis in the tank or Dean's yell are remembered for helping tank their campaigns?

The shock is around the fact that none of that poo poo mattered whatsoever. The shock is around that Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio would have probably done just as well.

And like there are a dozen things you can nitpick about. If those campaign tanking moments actually were campaign tanking moments or the fact that the worst of the Trump presidency is probably going to be based on him being a Republican more than anything else or if people should've known better about who the people in our country are.

But people are shocked because they assumed that people would rise to the occasion or at least not vote for that guy. And that's not what happened. They voted for a guy openly hostile to women and people of color and Muslims and who was more than willing to destroy the premise of peaceful transfer of power if he didn't get his way and may very really pursue trying to jail his opponent. And going "WELL ACTUALLY..." and simply talking about Hilary's failure to assume almost every single poll that showed her strategy was working was wrong doesn't make you some amazing realist. It makes you a dummy who's failing to understand why actual real human beings are upset.

• Locked thread