Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

P.d0t posted:

I'm no expert or anything, but I think some of the talk a few pages back kinda has the right idea; the best way to mitigate Trumpism is to basically engage with people susceptible to it, in a meaningful way -- just actually address their concerns from your political angle.

This seems like a fair idea. A "don't let them be radicalized" approach. It would be nice if people could talk these issues out like reasonable people, and understand each others' concerns...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sure, nobody's saying it's enough. But people ITT, and I've been the first, have really consistently dismissed ONDP's broad strategy. I'm clumsily pointing towards the idea that ONDP is the only branch of the NDP that's actually talking to, and for, the kind of people who flipped the presidency yesterday, and that there's stuff we can learn from them.

I don't have a really greatly thought out thesis statement but I know that me, and most of a certain class of NDP activists with my background, would never trade Trinity—Spadina and Beaches—East York for Essex and Oshawa, but ONDP did just that last election (and that campaign was seen as a failure, despite increasing its overall seat-count!), and I think that might be important.

The ONDP never gained any ground in central Ontario though, and a lot of areas here mirror those in the southwest. I dont think it was done intentionally. I do wonder (hope?) that they realized it though and plan on capitalizing on it because the idea of Premier Patrick Brown is just as frightening as President Donald Trump (joke about both being sexual predators and entitled white males who have never heard "No" in their lives goes here).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

P.d0t posted:

Ok, so the (i.e.) Democrats should do nothing to win over (some/enough) white male voters and continue to lose elections? Like, that's really my overall point, you can't just discard people you don't like, as a politician, because your job is still to get enough votes to win. Saying "black people have had it bad for a long time, so gently caress you" is not going to win you votes.

My intent of trying to tie that in with CanPoli was that, say, the NDP for example could probably tap into that same demographic contingent to find a voter base they could never rely on before, and without just saying "y'know what, let's just be racist, that'll win them over." I actually want them to get out of the federal rut they're in by tapping into anti-establishment/disenchantment/whatever sentiment, just with using their own end of the political spectrum and not Trump's.

Like it's hilarious how this thread (rightly) shits on Niki Ashton for just expecting middle class guilt to shift voting patterns in their favour, but the idea that appealing to "trumpists" who just want change and possibly (some, not all) aren't actually bigots is absurd? :confused: This thread also talks about how PM Harper kept the SoCons under wraps; you can get people to vote for you and win you elections without enacting every dumb, regressive piece of legislation that they could dream up.

Do I actually sound that unreasonable? Admittedly I don't follow politics as closely as most people in here, but goddamn do I get jumped on anytime I say anything.

I do think that the NDP will have to tap into that voter base if it wants to make any progress especially after Trump's victory and that's the unfortunate fact when a majority group's racist views become condoned by a leader in a position of power. Politics is a dirty game and you have to be willing to deal with filth if you wanna get anything done.

However it doesn't change that it's hosed up that the natural and accepted reaction for a white person, being confronted with the idea that white people are still racist, is to get really mad and then vote for a guy who panders to white supremacists. "The left made me mad and uncomfortable about being white so I'm gonna spite them and vote the white supremacist however I'm not actually supporting racism." You're just accepting that white people are going to be racist or overly defensive about being accused of racism and that will forever be an immutable fact of political discourse and instead of changing that we just gotta work around it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

P.d0t posted:

I'm no expert or anything, but I think some of the talk a few pages back kinda has the right idea; the best way to mitigate Trumpism is to basically engage with people susceptible to it, in a meaningful way -- just actually address their concerns from your political angle.

Like, the poo poo I keep hearing about the NDP basically being a self-important party-job-creating apparatus that doesn't give a gently caress about poors is some poo poo that needed to change yesterday.

I'm still not sure how much of Trumps victory is actual KKK style racism vs panicked xenophobia from people who've seen their livelihoods decline year after year for decades. They have nobody to turn to and nowhere to go and so they pressed the big orange button. Calling them racists and bigots, while true to an undetermined extent, does gently caress all to change things. If you want to die with the rest of the world miserable and right it's a great choice though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GENDERED SLUR posted:

I'm still not sure how much of Trumps victory is actual KKK style racism vs panicked xenophobia from people who've seen their livelihoods decline year after year for decades. They have nobody to turn to and nowhere to go and so they pressed the big orange button. Calling them racists and bigots, while true to an undetermined extent, does gently caress all to change things. If you want to die with the rest of the world miserable and right it's a great choice though.

The problem lies in that Trump was telling them who was the cause of their livelihoods disappearing; minorities and the Democrats that protect them. The racism was always up front. Whether they chose to ignore it or go along with it doesnt matter.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nah. This was a cultural revolution and the proletariat are gonna start reeducating the intellectuals one at a time.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
A few Canadian authors I know on Twitter are wondering if it is possible to sign up for a Conservative Party membership in time for May 2017 just so they can vote against some of the really bad candidates from getting into power.

The idea being is that they don't trust Trudeau to be the effective alternative to fascism in a Canadian context, so a better way would be to just prevent it from happening in the first place by voting against it at the earliest opportunity. The best opportunity to do so would be a red tory candidate like Michael Chong or someone else that manages to be somehow inoffensive.

I'm curious what this thread makes of the idea.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2022

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
You can't have the plan without at least sending a few memos. If this is the plan, then we'd better organize so we know we're doing this correctly.

However, it's essentially another republican primary they have, so we can't simply vote against a given candidate since it isn't a one-or-the-other like in normal elections, but instead all of them at once. We need to make sure we're all appropriately behind the one who has promised to not be a fascist and to keep the fascist elements in the party down, regardless of their ability for the general election. And we need to do this in enough numbers to actually have any sort of impact.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 9, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2022

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Eej posted:

You're just accepting that white people are going to be racist or overly defensive about being accused of racism and that will forever be an immutable fact of political discourse and instead of changing that we just gotta work around it.

I had a whole long rant typed up, but :siren: tl;dr People can change but you can't just assume you can do that by talking to them however you want. You have to get them in a headspace where they'll listen, and coming out of the gate with "you're a white male and therefore racist so I don't want your vote" isn't going to get politicians electoral victories, nor will it make that person change. Find some common ground with the small stuff and then chip away at big problems, like racism. Attacking people won't make them listen and it won't make them change, and that's not a 'white' thing, it's a human thing.

Like the thing that the Atlanta Hawks and (I think?) some other NBA teams are talking about doing, where they're asking their fans in attendance to stand and link arms during the anthem? That's some good poo poo! They're coming at it from "we may not agree on everything, and we may not agree on the solutions, but we agree that we all have to start fixing this together." A simple gesture that finds some common ground, and hopefully gets people talking and making positive action.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Okay, I think that's fine.

It's still hosed up that we have to accept that white people are fragile faberge eggs that must be coddled into acceptance of other races because if you push them too hard they'll vote in a fascist to spite you (but they're totally not racist).

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Eej posted:

It's still hosed up that we have to accept that white people are fragile faberge eggs that must be coddled into acceptance of other races because if you push them too hard they'll vote in a fascist to spite you (but they're totally not racist).

racism isn't (edit) *exclusively* a white people phenomenon, hth

But seriously, yes, deprogramming racism isn't done with a cudgel.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 10, 2016

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Whenever I've been the subject of racial discrimination all I could feel was towering resentment and bitterness. Good for you if your reaction to being made uncomfortable for being in your own skin is, "boy let's sit down to talk about what we have in common so that your feelings aren't hurt" but I can't loving do it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

P.d0t posted:

racism isn't (edit) *exclusively* a white people phenomenon, hth

But seriously, yes, deprogramming racism isn't done with a cudgel.

Sure it can.

Luckily Canada doesn't have anywhere near as bad race relations as our neighbors down south have so we don't have to awkwardly explain to the mothers and fathers of kids who are still getting shot for their skin colour that we just gotta sit these white folk down and find some common ground so we can help them understand what racism is.

e: also racism as experienced by a minority class is very different from that experienced by the majority class which can express itself through discrimination at multiple aspects of society. I'm not angry or flaming you but come on man don't even try to equate the two

Eej fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 10, 2016

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Eej posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPDpcYEdiOg

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eej posted:

Luckily Canada doesn't have anywhere near as bad race relations as our neighbors down south have so we don't have to awkwardly explain to the mothers and fathers of kids who are still getting shot for their skin colour that we just gotta sit these white folk down and find some common ground so we can help them understand what racism is.

Tell it to the First Nations peoples.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea. Phone posting so I'm not gonna get you the graph, but scroll through this link and find the graph that compares Indigenous and Black statistics.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/out-of-sight-out-of-mind-2/

Our problem is worse, we just did a better job of hiding it. A happy side-effect of the reservation and pass system.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Is anyone considering joining the Conservatives for a year to keep Kellie Leitch away from controlling anything?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stickarts posted:

Yea. Phone posting so I'm not gonna get you the graph, but scroll through this link and find the graph that compares Indigenous and Black statistics.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/out-of-sight-out-of-mind-2/

Our problem is worse, we just did a better job of hiding it. A happy side-effect of the reservation and pass system.

Our problem doesn't affect a minority group of ~30 million people / 13% of our population. It might be worse in terms of how bad for the individuals but the numbers affected make a big difference here.

Anyway white people are so much of a majority in Canada that I think playing to the idea of "white people as a minority" like Trump did wouldn't be nearly as effective. It might work when you're at 60/40 but we're still 20 years away from that stage.

e: what's up with the aboriginal population numbers. From 799k in 1996 to 1400k in 2011. Did they change who qualified?

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 10, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Jesus loving Christ you people.

Combatting racism and sexism and all the other isms that plague the human condition effectively has nothing to do with coddling 'fragile white folks' and everything to do with combatting the us vs them mentality that is one of the strongest driving factors of prejudice.

You don't do that by immediately viciously attacking those that exhibit this behaviour. That only serves to drive the wedge further. Nobody should condone or excuse these actions but the response should be to point out that these differences that spawn prejudice are either non existent, inconsiquential or dwarfed by similarities that override these differences and strengthen the bond of commonality.

Or you can double down on the whole shouting 'You're all racist and evil and deserving of death! Eat poo poo cis white scum!' at people with megaphones from soapboxes, because that's definitely working as intended.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You can't win.

If you don't draw attention to racism nothing changes.

If you do draw attention to racism people get upset and vote for fascists.

There is no magic bullet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"The thing he said isn't a thing any leader should say" is a far cry from "He said this thing so that means you're all hillbilly klan hicks, shame shame shame on all of you for being such an awful basket of deplorables, now vote for me"

The Dems messaging on that was bizarre enough without the media and celebs and other talking heads pillorying the voters themselves for dumb poo poo their representative said.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 10, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hmm yes we need more dialogue with people like this guy to foster understanding and good feelings

https://twitter.com/BilalSpeaks/status/790397004685963266

hmm nah

marginalize all rurals till they have nothing but meth and coal rolling to pass the time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

go back to hindi

Precious.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
OMG there are RACISTS in CANADA :derp:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol dialogue peace and understanding you guys

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/ne...e-you-came-from

Kum bay yah my lord Kum bay yah

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Haha how the gently caress did I miss this one

http://globalnews.ca/video/2916480/shocking-racist-incident-in-downtown-edmonton-caught-on-camera

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

Hmm yes we need more dialogue with people like this guy to foster understanding and good feelings

https://twitter.com/BilalSpeaks/status/790397004685963266

hmm nah

marginalize all rurals till they have nothing but meth and coal rolling to pass the time

lol dude has an MMA shirt, flip flops, track pants, AND a raised truck

look at the terror in his eyes

how is this real

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
in conclusion, Canadians are morally superior to Americans in every way

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

You can't win.

If you don't draw attention to racism nothing changes.

If you do draw attention to racism people get upset and vote for fascists.

There is no magic bullet.

No, you can win. It's just difficult, and requires intelligence and putting aside your desire to lash out against the bad things in our society and combat them with tact.

quote:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, there were quite a few guys I work with who I lost a ton of respect for this morning as they crowed about this great victory and how awesome it'll be when we get embroiled in a full-on war under President Trump. Like, I understand being ready and willing to fulfill that aspect of this organization (it terrifies me, but I accepted it when I took the oath), but the bloodthirsty demand for it is incredibly off-putting.

The repeated claims that Hillary is a oval office/monster/evil bitch were really awful, too. Misogyny is alive and well in these Canadian Armed Forces, despite any claims to the contrary :smith:

EvilJoven posted:

Hillary is all of these things but if she were a man she would still be all of these things. Make sure these people hate her because she's a woman and not because she's a terrible human being before you label them misogynists.

yippee cahier posted:

Want to apply that same logic to homophobic or racist slurs?

You see this bullshit? This bullshit right here? This is the battle the left loses EVERY DAY

You think I suggested that to Blade_of_tyshalle because I'm a misogynist that doesn't like my ability to use sexist language without recourse being taken away?

No, you loving moron.

I suggested that because there are plenty of reasons to hate Hillary Clinton that are valid and do not include any form of prejudice. Finding out WHY those two armed forces members hate Hillary is the first step in a) correcting misogynistic language and b) possibly gaining two allies in the class struggle.

Do they hate Hillary because she's a woman? Yes? Then well poo poo they're actually misogynists and that's gonna be a tough nut to crack. No? Well look at that, probably with a very easy reminder you can correct that misogynistic language by saying that that yes Hillary is a loving terrible person but using that language makes everyone around you think you're a misogynist and not an anti corporatist. These two get their opinion validated, their language corrected and get another buddy to sit down with in the mess hall to share drinks with while talking about eating the rich and hey maybe we should all get involved in politics at the community level?

Instead, these two armed forces members get dismissed as misogynist and I get dismissed as defending misogynist language and it's suggested that I also defend homophobic and racist language and a handful of people who are quite possibly all leftists who should be on the same side are at best divided and half of us bitching at each other on the Internet.

GG left, you lose again.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 10, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

OMG there are RACISTS in CANADA :derp:

Watch out, you'll hurt EvilJoven's feelings by pointing out white people are racist.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

P.d0t posted:

Except in your example, the Rube is actually Just Another Bigot, since he explicitly agrees with the bigoted approach...? :confused:

Like, I'm a young-ish white male, I get blamed for everything; it's not a case of some bigot telling me that the other guy thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat, the other guy does a good enough job of making me feel like that, all on their own.

JFC, white males are whiny. How on earth did you guys manage to subjugate everyone else with such thin skin.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
The death of progressivism will be by the left and not the right. Those in rural areas have lost a lot in the past decade in terms of jobs and way of life and nothing has done to help them other than "if we do this then in 30 years we'll be back to where we need to be" when in reality the jobs have been lost in a third of that time. If the left does nothing to address this then the racist and bigoted manifestations that come from not living in diverse areas will become dominant.

Swallow your lumps, liberals and address these problems or what we won will be used against us. This is how Trump got elected.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Or we could starve them of education, healthcare and infrastructure. Cheaper and better IMO.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Starve the beast.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

OSI bean dip posted:

The death of progressivism will be by the left and not the right. Those in rural areas have lost a lot in the past decade in terms of jobs and way of life and nothing has done to help them other than "if we do this then in 30 years we'll be back to where we need to be" when in reality the jobs have been lost in a third of that time. If the left does nothing to address this then the racist and bigoted manifestations that come from not living in diverse areas will become dominant.

This is the real fundamental problem. Lots of rural jobs have simply been deprecated out of existence, and it's far easier for the people who once held these jobs to blame it on what they don't know (i.e.: immigrants and intellectual elites in their ivory tower) than to understand that these jobs aren't necessary anymore. So of course, Trump promising to bring back all those jobs (nevermind the lack of viability for these jobs in the first place).

The world needs to evolve away from this fixation on jobs being a central part of one's identity and life. Who knows what the post-industrial world looks like, quite possibly it implies basic income. Incidentally, this rural crowd would be too proud to accept these "government handouts".

Maybe education might help them see that the world is evolving and that it's not the fault of minorities. But that'd be drinking the kool-aid of the filthy elites.

More likely we can only wait until rural regions slowly die out.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Jan posted:

This is the real fundamental problem. Lots of rural jobs have simply been deprecated out of existence, and it's far easier for the people who once held these jobs to blame it on what they don't know (i.e.: immigrants and intellectual elites in their ivory tower) than to understand that these jobs aren't necessary anymore. So of course, Trump promising to bring back all those jobs (nevermind the lack of viability for these jobs in the first place).

The world needs to evolve away from this fixation on jobs being a central part of one's identity and life. Who knows what the post-industrial world looks like, quite possibly it implies basic income. Incidentally, this rural crowd would be too proud to accept these "government handouts".

Maybe education might help them see that the world is evolving and that it's not the fault of minorities. But that'd be drinking the kool-aid of the filthy elites.

More likely we can only wait until rural regions slowly die out.

The problem with basic income right now is that you need to remove the stigma that it is a form of welfare, which in itself isn't awful but there has been much done to deride that word. I agree with you that we need to move beyond the concept of a "job", but we're barely just getting started in terms of automation and for the foreseeable future we still need to work with that three letter word.

It won't be until I am in my retirement age that the idea of not working because I need to will be on the horizon. Right now that threat just looms for the jobs that are easy to already automate.

Just wait until the entire trucking industry starts to move towards self-driving vehicles in the next 10 years and we'll begin to talk about this more seriously.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jan posted:

Incidentally, this rural crowd would be too proud to accept these "government handouts".

Seeing as this is literally what small farms already live by the grace of, you'd think it might be an easier sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Imagine what's going to happen when entire logistics, accounting and legal departments are replaced by a tiny handful of people inputting data into a couple of servers racked up in the corner of some data center somewhere.

That's coming sooner than a lot of white collar workers realize and it's to be such a massive wake up call for the white collar world when it does.