Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

who wants to start a pool to see how long it takes trump to get to a single-digit job approval rating? id be sporting and give him 90 days to get settled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Convergence posted:

Bob Corker as Sec of State is at least not catastrophic. Just not great.

He certainly seems reasonable compared to Newt.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

So white working class people want:

1). Bring me my factory job with high wages and benefits/pension back
2). Deport all of the immigrants
3). Kill free trade

And they don't care about policies like college, infrastructure, healthcare, minimum wage...

So... how do we cater to them without being racist? And what do we do if we make empty promises and they vote us our after a term?

Like this plan is so dumb lmao white working class people are gone forever Jesus.

They;re fine if you just offer them 1+3. Also if they were gone forever then Obama nor Clinton would have won them. Seriously take some time off. Also sorry about your healthcare.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 10, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

That's highly unlikely because I was already depressed.

Too bad I'm gonna lose my healthcare when they kill the ACA! :smithicide:

If you join the military you get socialized medicine.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

imo this is why we're hosed. Massive voter suppression by the Republicans will kneecap the minority and poor vote and working. class whites will still think the Democrats are toxic regardless of our platform because what they want is "we will magically make it 1955 again."

The Democratic Party is dead.

Stop being a stick in the mud. Politics is a pendulum, the swings are getting more extreme. So if this is the right wing pushback there will be reckoning in the future one way or another. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and plan for the future. Your self pitying horseshit is getting annoying.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

To be honest, several people have tried to cheer me up and each time it has just reminded me of a new facet of why this situation is loving awful. I don't even have hope for the country eight years from now.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Polygynous posted:

Don't you get it Hillary would have had this if she just lied and said "jobs" a lot.

There is of course no conflict between this and her being "untrustworthy".

Almost like the dems should have went for the populist candidate and not the wonky pragmatic one

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem with the brogressive narrative isn't that we hate poor white people or that we don't empathize with them, the problem is that the solutions they want are impossible and no amount of messaging can fix that. We can't win their vote if Republicans can effortlessly undermine us with them from the right.

I admit that I don't have a solution for you right at this moment. I just hope to convince a few people that this is more complicated than "half the country is racist", because we have to at least understand the problem first.

As for white privilege not being a media narrative (or at least a millennial narrative that's picked up on many social media networks and also conservative news networks), I don't think it's very hard to find occurrences. Here's a million results: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=white+privilege&safe=off&tbm=nws

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

pocket pool posted:

Haha what the gently caress does that even mean?

it means that he can backpedal as soon as all the numbskulls who left him cause he was/is #nevertrump return to watching his show

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Crowsbeak posted:

They;re fine if you just offer them 1+3. Also if they were gone forever then Obama nor Clinton would have won them. Seriously take some time off.

1 is impossible and 3 is a really really bad thing for the global economy including white working class people try again.

Flopsy posted:

Stop being a stick in the mud. Politics is a pendulum, the swings are getting more extreme. So if this is the right wing pushback there will be reckoning in the future one way or another. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and plan for the future. Your self pitying horseshit is getting annoying.

Global warming. Doesn't matter if leftists win in 10 years the damage will be catastrophic.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

They;re fine if you just offer them 1+3. Also if they were gone forever then Obama nor Clinton would have won them. Seriously take some time off. Also sorry about your healthcare.

For real. It's right there in their faces and they just refuse to see it :allears:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There is a chance that by deregulating the EPA and pushing new coal along with aggressive infrastructure spending we could see a economic up tick.

Like those are only 50% insane ideas.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Convergence posted:

I admit that I don't have a solution for you right at this moment. I just hope to convince a few people that this is more complicated than "half the country is racist", because we have to at least understand the problem first.

As for white privilege not being a media narrative (or at least a millennial narrative that's picked up on many social media networks and also conservative news networks), I don't think it's very hard to find occurrences. Here's a million results: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=white+privilege&safe=off&tbm=nws

So you have absolutely nothing and are talking from your rear end in an attempt to excuse racism

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Helpimscared posted:

How easy/hard is it going to be for the Trump administration to accomplish this anyway?

It depends on whether they want to repeal it and replace it with another (inferior) health care system, or if they just start yanking out supports willy-nilly. It'll be easy for them to cut subsidies and uninsured fines without repealing the no-underwriting mandate, which would destroy the system but who knows if anyone in Trumpland can comprehend that.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Nah, the "Replace" part has always been smoke. They'll repeal it in the first week, and tell everyone to blame Obama for dangling affordable health care in front of them before suggesting they find real jobs. Trump's election has literally just taught the Republicans that nothing has consequences if you're willing to flog white nationalist sentiment. In 2018 we're going to see a whole crop of Trump imitators, and they're going to make the Tea Party look like diginified statesmen.

See: Kentucky

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Almost like the dems should have went for the populist candidate and not the wonky pragmatic one

So the system rewards bullshit instead of people who know what they're doing? Awesome.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

But I thought the Dems were a dumb and dead party? How could a populist who has never done any movement building turn that around in just one year?

If we were going to have a populist revolution in 2016 the populists would have been better served by organizing and building a coalition before the primary started.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

Lessail posted:

So you have absolutely nothing and are talking from your rear end in an attempt to excuse racism

I would be delighted if you offered something of substance yourself!

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

I am really struggling to find any semblance of hope today. My mom tried to cheer me up by saying "at least your generation will come out and fix things" and it just made me think about how that won't be for a good 20 years and in the meantime we'll enjoy every single voter suppression technique imaginable get worked into the foundation of our country by all three branches of government.

I don't really get why America sucks so bad about this. Parties getting to draw their own electoral zones is really stupid.The supreme court is really stupid, too. Any other Western country you'd be like "oh well, it's just a term or two of a kinda bad centre-right government." In America it's like you've elected cartoonish villains who'll gently caress poo poo up as badly as possible and make it as hard as possible to reverse it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Polygynous posted:

So the system rewards bullshit instead of people who know what they're doing? Awesome.

No nobody knew what the gently caress Hillary was on about for a year because nobody voted, and she was humiliated in a historic defeat.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Convergence posted:

I would be delighted if you offered something of substance yourself!

You first.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

There is a chance that by deregulating the EPA and pushing new coal along with aggressive infrastructure spending we could see a economic up tick.

Trump said he wanted to spend new infrastructure spending on mostly toll based infrastructure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

negromancer posted:

This is a really good read for people just not understanding how people in the rust belt seemingly voted against their own interests, even with all the evidence.

http://verysmartbrothas.com/i-will-never-underestimate-white-peoples-need-to-preserve-whiteness-again/

not sure how its really good when he never mentions nafta at all and spends the whole time talking about how hot a dead woman was 70 years ago.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

But I thought the Dems were a dumb and dead party? How could a populist who has never done any movement building turn that around in just one year?

If we were going to have a populist revolution in 2016 the populists would have been better served by organizing and building a coalition before the primary started.

You sound like one of those elitist jerks who think candidates should know what they're doing. It's 2016, politics is just about walking around yelling opinions at people, not policy or governing, man.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Trabisnikof posted:

Trump said he wanted to spend new infrastructure spending on mostly toll based infrastructure.

Specifically he wants to give construction companies an $8 billion tax cut which they will magically use on toll roads that will pay for themselves.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Coal is not really economically viable anymore when compared to natural gas. I don't think we need to worry about it unless they literally subsidize production specifically from coal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Trabisnikof posted:

Still any Infrastructure spending is probably going to have a positive effect. Also, with the deregulation of the energy companies we may see a expansion in jobs in that area.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

The dems are now dead. In the begging if of the general election they had a real chance. It's about the working class. The Democratic establishment missed this and now here we are.

Yea, the populists could have done a better job, but maybe the reason why it was difficult was because Because everyone in the DNC expected and wanted Hillary to run for president again.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

For real. It's right there in their faces and they just refuse to see it :allears:

Its more we have aot of people here who have good reason to be angry, not knowing when to take some time off. I did this once too and it just ended bad for me as my week long probation proved. When you;r down and mad you have to walk away from DnD and do something productive.

The dems are now dead. In the begging if of the general election they had a real chance. It's about the working class. The Democratic establishment missed this and now here we are.

Yea, the populists could have done a better job, but maybe the reason why it was difficult was because Because everyone in the DNC expected and wanted Hillary to run for president again.

Well the DNC is dead.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 10, 2016

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Sir Tonk posted:

If you join the military you get socialized medicine.

:lol: VA is going to go private. Didn't you hear?

e: Charter docs.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Flopsy posted:

I can keep posting this until it sinks in

https://twitter.com/ZachStafford/status/796487996405063680

Some ambiguous future reckoning does absolutely zero to help the people for whom the future right now consists of an increase in harassment, violence, and sexual assault among a group who already faces it way out of proportion to the rest of the population. It isn't self pitying when some of us have legitimate fear for our livelihoods and/or our very life itself, and I think people should be forgiven for being emotional about this the day after the loving election.

e: Not saying this is directly relevant to LK's situation as I do not know them, but trans people are not the only group who are at risk of being targeted even more than they already are by hate crimes over the next several years because a bigot got elected to the highest office in the country and legitimized the toxic attitudes of a swath of the country.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The entire political left is dead. We're all sitting on the sidelines watching the Trump Show now. Optimistically we'll be sitting here until 2020.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Convergence posted:

Coal is not really economically viable anymore when compared to natural gas. I don't think we need to worry about it unless the literally subsidize production specifically from coal.

President Donald J. Trump. Do you really doubt he'd do something really loving stupid?

Skanker posted:

I don't really get why America sucks so bad about this. Parties getting to draw their own electoral zones is really stupid.The supreme court is really stupid, too. Any other Western country you'd be like "oh well, it's just a term or two of a kinda bad centre-right government." In America it's like you've elected cartoonish villains who'll gently caress poo poo up as badly as possible and make it as hard as possible to reverse it.

I'm very sad tha "the leader of the free world" was ever associated with this poo poo country.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Convergence posted:

Coal is not really economically viable anymore when compared to natural gas. I don't think we need to worry about it unless they literally subsidize production specifically from coal.

I can see a Trump administration spending money propping up a lovely fuel source as "public works"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

PerniciousKnid posted:

You sound like one of those elitist jerks who think candidates should know what they're doing. It's 2016, politics is just about walking around yelling opinions at people, not policy or governing, man.

Let me know how pragmatism is working out for ya

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Hollismason posted:

Still any Infrastructure spending is probably going to have a positive effect. Also, with the deregulation of the energy companies we may see a expansion in jobs in that area.

Not if all the "infrastructure spending" comes in the form of magical tax cuts.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

voters too, it's like everyone is in on this conspiracy

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So when ACA is repealed is that going to fall on the states or is stuff like in e.g. MA going to be dead and buried as well? Basically I'm wondering what the options are for blue states to shore up their health care systems in the aftermath of detonation of the ACA at the national level. Have the GOP made any noise about, like making state exchanges illegal or whatever?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hollismason posted:

The problem is that Trump is an incompetent buffoon so there's no reason to think he'll do it correctly if he does it at all.

PKJC posted:

Some ambiguous future reckoning does absolutely zero to help the people for whom the future right now consists of an increase in harassment, violence, and sexual assault among a group who already faces it way out of proportion to the rest of the population. It isn't self pitying when some of us have legitimate fear for our livelihoods and/or our very life itself, and I think people should be forgiven for being emotional about this the day after the loving election.

All these whiny LGBTQs need to stop self pitying about being killed by homophobes, it's just an election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kilroy posted:

So when ACA is repealed is that going to fall on the states or is stuff like in e.g. MA going to be dead and buried as well? Basically I'm wondering what the options are for blue states to shore up their health care systems in the aftermath of detonation of the ACA at the national level. Have the GOP made any noise about, like making state exchanges illegal or whatever?

They want to do block grants. It's just a flat amount and blue states won't be able to afford to cover everyone. The temptation to use the funding for other things will also be omnipresent. It's a system designed to destroy public healthcare through attrition.

• Locked thread