Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

The entire political left is dead. We're all sitting on the sidelines watching the Trump Show now. Optimistically we'll be sitting here until 2020.

The political left is dead? Did BLM get arrested? Did fight for 15 get crushed? Yeah the political left is not dead. The neoliberal political left is gone though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

All these whiny LGBTQs need to stop self pitying about being killed by homophobes, it's just an election.
Eh, we saw an increase in hate crimes after Brexit. There's no reason to think lovely people won't feel emboldened now after this win.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Crowsbeak posted:

The political left is dead? Did BLM get arrested? Did fight for 15 get crushed? Yeah the political left is not dead. The neoliberal political left is gone though.

A tiny handful of states might pass laws in favor of these groups. The federal government is now actively hostile to them. We have Republicans calling for abolition of the minimum wage.

The left is dead as a meaningful force.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

The neoliberal political left is gone though.

We can hope Clinton is likely gone, but her roots run deep. Also the opposition is neutered if Chuck Schumer truly is the face of the opposition.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Let me know how pragmatism is working out for ya

I'm just hearing Homer Simpson try to coach mini-golf. "Okay, that didn't work. This time, move your head and don't follow through."

Skanker posted:

Eh, we saw an increase in hate crimes after Brexit. There's no reason to think lovely people won't feel emboldened now after this win.
I was being sarcastic, I don't blame you for not catching it because the world is beyond parody.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Polygynous posted:

voters too, it's like everyone is in on this conspiracy

It all comes back to the simple fact that here was a lot of inertia that Bernie had to go against in the DNC. Getting a campaign running with no corporate fundraisers, true grassroots efforts, new ways to raise money from many constituents and voters instead of a few rich people are all tough things to do.

Hillary was just poised to vacuum up more votes in the general. Many people predicted this would happen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm scared of dying.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

Not if all the "infrastructure spending" comes in the form of magical tax cuts.

I have hope here that his ego will demand things actually get built. It plays along with his business career in real estate and is a very tangible legacy for him to cling to.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

The Ninth Layer posted:

The entire political left is dead. We're all sitting on the sidelines watching the Trump Show now. Optimistically we'll be sitting here until 2020.
Eh the Democratic party is "dead", not the left. And, the Democratic party may have an actual future if it manages to purge the DLC types for good.

On the other hand if Chuck Schumer is still King poo poo of the DNC next year then the Democratic party is turbofucked.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Republicans control all three branches of government and will for at least the next four years. They'll pick up more seats in 2018. They'll set up for even more voter suppression, which was their explicit strategy this year.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

A tiny handful of states might pass laws in favor of these groups. The federal government is now actively hostile to them. We have Republicans calling for abolition of the minimum wage.

The left is dead as a meaningful force.

Yes its so dead it won the election through the popular vote. Once again I think you need to take a break. All it is is :qq: we're hosed :qq: :qq: America is doomed :qq: . We've had the GOP before and we can get through this to. Its about organizing.

Yeah ninth layer mostly it wasn't voter supression, it was people choosing not to vote. Also lol if you think that the left is dead due to this, The USA was far worse 96 years ago. Guess what? The Left elected FDR then.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kilroy posted:

So when ACA is repealed is that going to fall on the states or is stuff like in e.g. MA going to be dead and buried as well? Basically I'm wondering what the options are for blue states to shore up their health care systems in the aftermath of detonation of the ACA at the national level. Have the GOP made any noise about, like making state exchanges illegal or whatever?

Obamacare is just a flipmode Romneycare, which will continue to fly in Massachusetts, hopefully buoyed by sweet weed tax money. There's nothing stopping other states from doing their own version if ACA gets hosed, which is really the rallying cry for the Trump administration. Hope there are less blanket federal actions, and more "Leave it to the states" ones. That would leave some states very hosed, but other states with a chance. Which sure as hell beats every state universally hosed on every issue.

e: And to be fair betting on the laziness of Donald Trump and the hyper focus of the Republicans on disenfranchising women, minorities, and homosexuals isn't a terrible bet.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 10, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Helpimscared posted:

How easy/hard is it going to be for the Trump administration to accomplish this anyway?

This depends heavily on how badly the House/Senate GOP want to keep their jobs. If they get rid of all of the PPACA then many will risk losing their next election once people realize what they're losing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

PKJC posted:

I can keep posting this until it sinks in

https://twitter.com/ZachStafford/status/796487996405063680

Some ambiguous future reckoning does absolutely zero to help the people for whom the future right now consists of an increase in harassment, violence, and sexual assault among a group who already faces it way out of proportion to the rest of the population. It isn't self pitying when some of us have legitimate fear for our livelihoods and/or our very life itself, and I think people should be forgiven for being emotional about this the day after the loving election.

e: Not saying this is directly relevant to LK's situation as I do not know them, but trans people are not the only group who are at risk of being targeted even more than they already are by hate crimes over the next several years because a bigot got elected to the highest office in the country and legitimized the toxic attitudes of a swath of the country.

Don't talk to me like I wasn't emotional. I had a panic attack when PA was called, chewed my fingers bloody and started violently dry heaving to the point I threw up bile so don't talk like I'm not invested. I'm now on anti-anxiety meds and I'm going back into therapy. And I'm not down paying the horror that trans peope are feeling nor am i saying you don't get to grieve the poo poo hand we've all been dealt. My point is this: Have your moment of grief then bunker down and get ready to give the fuckers absolute hell. No quietly into the night business, take to streets, write letters, scream yourself hoarse if you have to. But at very least make an effort to push back however you can until we can get where we need to be.

And I'm aware of global warming and right's take on it and that's where you can start.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Mulva posted:

Obamacare is just a flipmode Romneycare, which will continue to fly in Massachusetts, hopefully buoyed by sweet weed tax money. There's nothing stopping other states from doing there own version if ACA gets hosed, which is really the rallying cry for the Trump administration. Hope there are less blanket federal actions, and more "Leave it to the states" ones. That would leave some states very hosed, but other states with a chance. Which sure as hell beats every state universally hosed on every issue.

Yeah, til the DEA cracks down on pot. Then we'll have a nullification crisis on our hands.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

This. Sorry, lovely neoliberalism clothed as progressivism was buttstroked in the jaw by Trump and then he shot it 3 times in the chest.

Voters are tired of the Clintons policies. They want something new and fresh. I know it's hard to believe that someone would reject Abuelas wonky policies over some blustering realtors pie-in-the-sky ideas. But it happens sometimes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes its so dead it won the election through the popular vote. Once again I think you need to take a break. All it is is :qq: we're hosed :qq: :qq: America is doomed :qq: . We've had the GOP before and we can get through this to. Its about organizing.

Not just organizing, but articulating clear progressive ideas. Min wage is a good start but we need more than that. And it has to be easily explainable on a bumper sticker and not obviously as good for blacks than whites.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Seriously, now is the time to buy, buy, buy stock in UnitedHealthcare which, totally coincidentally, runs the HSA servicing company OptumHealth. Honestly shocked it didn't spike up today.

Insurance companies are going to continue to spike premiums while you bank all of your co-pays to their subsidiary with their debit card that you'll use at the doc. The insurance company will gamify all benefits ("if you record your steps today we'll contribute another $50 to your HSA!") and you'll get a 2% return if you're lucky, healthy, and keep a couple of grand in the account at all times.

Trump will increase yearly pre-tax HSA contribution limits to like $10k for families and say "yup, that replaces Obamacare."

The only upside is at least the drat HSA banks are FDIC insured, but lets see if that holds up.

Have fun paying for your diabetes and c-sections, America!

fosborb fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 10, 2016

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

There is a chance that by deregulating the EPA and pushing new coal along with aggressive infrastructure spending we could see a economic up tick.

Like those are only 50% insane ideas.

I posted this in the election thread, but from personal experience, a good bit of the ground work that the EPA does is actually carried out by private companies. This ranges from everything to monitoring, reporting, regulatory compliance, etc.

If the EPA is whittled down to a bare-bones department and industry has no economic incentive (or regulatory one, for that matter) to keep paying these private companies, then those jobs will be lost.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Eh the Democratic party is "dead", not the left. And, the Democratic party may have an actual future if it manages to purge the DLC types for good.

On the other hand if Chuck Schumer is still King poo poo of the DNC next year then the Democratic party is turbofucked.

As far as political power goes the left as a force is dead. I'm sure people will keep protesting and making noise, but in the meantime all the people that were actually elected will have no reason to listen to our political voice. They control the high ground now.

I'd be happy to see some light at the end of this tunnel. But it's a long loving tunnel and all I'm seeing right now is darkness.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Sir Tonk posted:

This depends heavily on how badly the House/Senate GOP want to keep their jobs. If they get rid of all of the PPACA then many will risk losing their next election once people realize what they're losing.

It's gone, and there will be no consequences.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

The Ninth Layer posted:

Republicans control all three branches of government and will for at least the next four years. They'll pick up more seats in 2018. They'll set up for even more voter suppression, which was their explicit strategy this year.
We are in uncharted territory at this point and you have no actual reason to be this sure about the future after this week. I do think you're probably right, but I will also say that Democratic control of the House and Senate in 2018 will surprise me a hell of a lot less than Donald loving Trump being elected the 45th POTUS.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Spoondick posted:

who wants to start a pool to see how long it takes trump to get to a single-digit job approval rating? id be sporting and give him 90 days to get settled

He won't go below thirty unless he betray's his base. They want him to be their champion and will stick with him for quite a while.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

This. Sorry, lovely neoliberalism clothed as progressivism was buttstroked in the jaw by Trump and then he shot it 3 times in the chest.

Voters are tired of the Clintons policies. They want something new and fresh. I know it's hard to believe that someone would reject Abuelas wonky policies over some blustering realtors pie-in-the-sky ideas. But it happens sometimes.

Yes, new and fresh ideas like white nationalism.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Crowsbeak posted:

To be fair, I understand the sentiment. Trump's presidency is a complete loose cannon and people are anxious about what is coming, and if how/if there is a path out for the DNC. Since one really isn't obvious it is pretty easy to give in to anxiety and despair.

I'm having a difficult time seeing the path out.

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 10, 2016

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mulva posted:

Obamacare is just a flipmode Romneycare, which will continue to fly in Massachusetts, hopefully buoyed by sweet weed tax money. There's nothing stopping other states from doing there own version if ACA gets hosed, which is really the rallying cry for the Trump administration. Hope there are less blanket federal actions, and more "Leave it to the states" ones. That would leave some states very hosed, but other states with a chance. Which sure as hell beats every state universally hosed on every issue.

Oh right. Those dispensaries are going to get raided so hard now by the feds. TOUGH ON CRIME

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

Not just organizing, but articulating clear progressive ideas. Min wage is a good start but we need more than that. And it has to be easily explainable on a bumper sticker and not obviously as good for blacks than whites.

Universal basic income is probably something they should think about.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

PerniciousKnid posted:

And you're still whining. Amazing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flopsy posted:

Don't talk to me like I wasn't emotional. I had a panic attack when PA was called, chewed my fingers bloody and started violently dry heaving to the point I threw up bile so don't talk like I'm not invested. I'm now on anti-anxiety meds and I'm going back into therapy. And I'm not down paying the horror that trans peope are feeling nor am i saying you don't get to grieve the poo poo hand we've all been dealt. My point is this: Have your moment of grief then bunker down and get ready to give the fuckers absolute hell. No quietly into the night business, take to streets, write letters, scream yourself hoarse if you have to. But at very least make an effort to push back however you can until we can get where we need to be.

And I'm aware of global warming and right's take on it and that's where you can start.

I wish I could afford therapy and anti-anxiety meds. :smith:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well college students of all shades of skin color would love some bailouts on our loans.

Also perhaps make them the cornerstone rather then just saying you're not Trump. Like say. FREE COLLEGE, HIGHER WAGES, HOLIDAY PAY! Gets some peoples attention.

Also alot of people here need to take a break.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Skanker posted:

Universal basic income is probably something they should think about.

UBI will get cratered as soon as someone mentions all those fake social security numbers that illegals use to siphon benefits Mexico.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

The Ninth Layer posted:

As far as political power goes the left as a force is dead. I'm sure people will keep protesting and making noise, but in the meantime all the people that were actually elected will have no reason to listen to our political voice. They control the high ground now.

I'd be happy to see some light at the end of this tunnel. But it's a long loving tunnel and all I'm seeing right now is darkness.
What I'm getting at is that "Progressives" (which are about the best we can do wrt to having a left in the US right now) stand a reasonable chance of really seizing control of the Democratic party. The DLC and Clintonite Third-Way bullshit might actually be on the way out for good, which is a silver lining I take from this otherwise awful week. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to be watching Chuck Schumer's career very carefully now - if he's the de facto leader then the Democratic party as it stands is lost and the only hope for it will be primary challenges in 2018. And, if that doesn't happen, then at that point I will agree that the Democratic party is lost to the left, and also probably that no other leftist party will be able to rise up to take its place nationally. At that point we'd have no hope for a leftist choice - even a compromise faux-leftist one, for a generation.

poo poo's bleak. All hope is not lost, though not much is left, either.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fosborb posted:

:lol: VA is going to go private. Didn't you hear?

e: Charter docs.

yeah good luck with that one, I'm not sure even Trump and a GOP Congress can pull that off.

and there's zero chance it happens for active duty, DoD would never allow it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
can we at least all agree that all these democrats giving into trump and talking about putting aside their differences need to be voted out? Because gently caress them and their spinelessness

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

It helped, but the fact he offered protectionism and said he'd bring their old jobs back helped. That and RHC's husband led to alot not voting as they blamed him for helping bring the worse parts of NAFTA.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I wish I could afford therapy and anti-anxiety meds. :smith:

I wish you could too man. I'm struggling to keep my head up on this too y'know? I ain't gonna lie it's going to be a shitshow but so was the bush administration and we lived with that poo poo. The left as ideology is not dead but the democratic leaders need to get their poo poo together again. Now's a good time to start.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Ya'll, start organizing.

You are underestimating the motivation that people have right now. Stop complaining, start organizing, or perish.

Defeatism helps nobody. I feel loving alive and ready to fight.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Sir Tonk posted:

yeah good luck with that one, I'm not sure even Trump and a GOP Congress can pull that off.

It's school vouchers all over again. Don't like the VA? Here's your check to go see the doc you want. Freedom for our freedom fighters!

This is all laid out in Trumps 100 days.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Flopsy posted:

I wish you could too man. I'm struggling to keep my head up on this too y'know? I ain't gonna lie it's going to be a shitshow but so was the bush administration and we lived with that poo poo. The left as ideology is not dead but the democratic leaders need to get their poo poo together again. Now's a good time to start.

We might want to replace the leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Sir Tonk posted:

You say that like President Trump and SecDef Sessions really care.

Also, the Navy is going to get so many boats. So many boats. You won't believe how many boats.

• Locked thread