Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lessail posted:

The media will crucify them no matter what as this election loving showed

And I'd rather them get crucified for a real reason rather than for some meaningless stand.

Like the whole "I will work with Trump" thing is stupid to complain about because it never means anything anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Sir Tonk posted:

If Flynn becomes SecDef or head of the VA all bets are off. That dude is a loving psychopath and a moron.

Jesus I forgot about that.

I really really hope Priebus is in charge of those nominations but that's a hosed up thing to say and a bridge too far.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Trabisnikof posted:

And I'd rather them get crucified for a real reason rather than for some meaningless stand.

The result will be the same: President Trump

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Without an actual ideology progressive will continue to eat their own like the people in this thread declaring Warren purgable due to her willingness to "work with Trump"
well if nothing else you can take this election as a referendum on the ability of somethingawful.com USPOL posters to know what the gently caress they're talking about

warren isn't getting purged - she's going to be one of the pillars of the party going forward

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lessail posted:

The result will be the same: President Trump

That's the same no matter what. So I would rather our progressive politicians use what limited power they have trying to help us rather than making a pointless stand against Trump.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/CatherineForNV/status/796262803082350592

That is uplifting, not "I will work with Trump"

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lessail posted:

The media will crucify them no matter what as this election loving showed

They are almost irrelevant in terms of ability to govern regardless. Better off having some small influence over the government than none at all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sir Tonk posted:

If Flynn becomes SecDef or head of the VA all bets are off. That dude is a loving psychopath and a moron.

Flynn can't become SecDef by law. I don't see any reason the GOP would change that one either.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

well if nothing else you can take this election as a referendum on the ability of somethingawful.com USPOL posters to know what the gently caress they're talking about

warren isn't getting purged - she's going to be one of the pillars of the party going forward

That's probably true, seeing how she already is a major player. Now you just need to convince your fellow "progressives" that she's worth saving from the cleaning fire.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lessail posted:

The left right now needs someone to guide the anger. If she can do that in a good way, we could be fine.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean their stated goals are to repeal Obamacare and all of his executive orders.

I don't mean people literally won't remember Obama but his legislative legacy is going down the drain.
his legacy will be the eight years he was President and what he does after leaving office, which will probably be a lot

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

The Democrats aren't dead, for gently caress sake. They survived 1860, they survived 1928, they survived 1988, and they'll survive this.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Warren working with Trump? People took that literally?

I wonder what policy they imagined these two tackling together.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Sir Tonk posted:

Top of the list for SecDef!

VA, right now, is only former Deputy Sheriff Jeff Miller.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lessail posted:

I have no idea how you can be optimistic anymore. Kudos to you

What other option is there, sit in the corner and complain? If you're upset Trump and the GOP control the government you can either cry about it and claim everything is hosed, or you can accept that it happened and then spend the next 2-? years working to reverse it.

I'd be less optimistic if his vote numbers weren't so bad, dude did really bad in the popular vote considering how "motivated" his base was and that isn't a hard number to overcome if the Dems can get their loving message straight.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

That's probably true, seeing how she already is a major player. Now you just need to convince your fellow "progressives" that she's worth saving from the cleaning fire.
is this like an actual thing I don't know about or just a handful of uspol posters you're concerned about

if warren is suddenly hot garbage among the progressive left then I don't know about it

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

iospace posted:

Flynn can't become SecDef by law. I don't see any reason the GOP would change that one either.

Where we're going, we don't need laws!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fansy posted:

Right? Everyone issues the boring "yes if the people who hate me magically agree with me I will work with them" and goons see them as traitors to the cause.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

iospace posted:

All it takes is a waiver. Why would they deny it?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lessail posted:

I have no idea how you can be optimistic anymore. Kudos to you

Yeah I'm done, democrats are their own worst enemy because they don't vote. Everything democrats are supposed to stand for were on the ballot and nobody showed up. gently caress the party, and gently caress everyone who didn't vote. I'm going to try and climb so far up my own rear end that I don't have political opinions anymore.......see you guys in 2 years maybe.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Right? Everyone issues the boring "yes if the people who hate me magically agree with me I will work with them" and goons see them as traitors to the cause.

nice try but nope

also i'm one poster you dipshit

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

What other option is there, sit in the corner and complain? If you're upset Trump and the GOP control the government you can either cry about it and claim everything is hosed, or you can accept that it happened and then spend the next 2-? years working to reverse it.

I'd be less optimistic if his vote numbers weren't so bad, dude did really bad in the popular vote considering how "motivated" his base was and that isn't a hard number to overcome if the Dems can get their loving message straight.

Fucker won by, what, 110k votes in three states? That those were supposed to be safe blue states is the thing, though.

But yeah, I agree. I want the Dems to use this poo poo to motivate people for state local elections.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SoggyBobcat posted:

The Democrats aren't dead, for gently caress sake. They survived 1860, they survived 1928, they survived 1988, and they'll survive this.

don't forget 2002 and 2004

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2gJbC66DWM&t=3218s

Keepin' it 1600 did a good recap and the end focuses on where to go from here. I'd suggest y'all watch the last twenty minutes or so, they have a good perspective on what Trump can accomplish and what the Dems need to do about it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Kilroy posted:

is this like an actual thing I don't know about or just a handful of uspol posters you're concerned about

if warren is suddenly hot garbage among the progressive left then I don't know about it

I think it's just this thread. Warren is still a pillar.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

kinda hosed up that 20 percent of americans can inflict president donald j trump on the other 80 percent, but hey, your vote doesnt matter so why bother

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean their stated goals are to repeal Obamacare and all of his executive orders.

I don't mean people literally won't remember Obama but his legislative legacy is going down the drain.

This would only work if the GOP was able to replace all the popular things he did with "better" options. We're talking about things that have 60-80% approval like gay rights and not allowing insurance to deny for preexisting conditions. There's no way they'll be able to pull that off and with Obama leaving under such high approval ratings he's already destined to be viewed very favorably by history.

That and the inevitable Ken Burns series.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Remember in 2002 the GOP gained seats because of 9/11 and war.

I think Trump can recreate those conditions.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lessail posted:

Sure, I'd say that's a fair statement from her. Much better than "my job is to ensure Barack Obama is a one term president"

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

That's the worst part of this. loving Republican assholes are going to cleanse the Obama legacy. It'll be like he was never even President. :suicide:

I teared up earlier at Obama's pledge to ensure a peaceful transition of power to Trump. That would have gutted me, knowing everything you worked for was gone. Yet he remained principled. Obama is unbelievably strong. It's so loving inspirational.

Tearin' up again fam.... we won't let you down!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fansy posted:

Wall St reform!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sir Tonk posted:

This would only work if the GOP was able to replace all the popular things he did with "better" options. We're talking about things that have 60-80% approval like gay rights and not allowing insurance to deny for preexisting conditions. There's no way they'll be able to pull that off and with Obama leaving under such high approval ratings he's already destined to be viewed very favorably by history.

That and the inevitable Ken Burns series.

I think you're very optimistic on what lines the Republicans won't challenge.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Admiral Ray posted:

I think it's just this thread. Warren is still a pillar.

Democrats thrive when they're in the minority, she's going to be more popular than ever against someone like Trump. People will cry forever when she refuses to run again in 2020.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Spoondick posted:

kinda hosed up that 20 percent of americans can inflict president donald j trump on the other 80 percent, but hey, your vote doesnt matter so why bother

Everyone love FPTP voting!

I've been seeing a whole bunch of people pushing compulsory voting, abolishing the EC, and public funding for elections today, but they do that every cycle and I don't expect any of those things to change.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fansy posted:

Remember in 2002 the GOP gained seats because of 9/11 and war.

I think Trump can recreate those conditions.

Ehhhhh, public opinion on Iraq is still underwater. I don't think it would get approved without us being attacked again first.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

*sigh* the more and more I think about this, the worse I feel.

Time to actually start being a productive member of society and volunteer and poo poo. Maybe that will make things better.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Telephones posted:

I teared up earlier at Obama's pledge to ensure a peaceful transition of power to Trump. That would have gutted me, knowing everything you worked for was gone. Yet he remained principled. Obama is unbelievably strong. It's so loving inspirational.

Tearin' up again fam.... we won't let you down!

Obama is going to rule as a former president.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Quadrapellegiance posted:

Time to actually start being a productive member of society and volunteer and poo poo. Maybe that will make things better.

If people are already saying this a day after the election, imagine the response once he starts rolling back all of Obama's executive orders. If we're able to keep RBG alive until 2020 then we might be able to recover with SCOTUS. Alito and Roberts won't live forever and Trump isn't going to nominate someone in his thirties.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Oh I forgot to mention I was obviously not able to buy my Hillary "Victory" cake. Then I got loving owned at work when one of my drivers came in today with a condolences card for me.

I took it in good stride at least. I started laughing my rear end off when I read it, because it is definitely funny.

Harton fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
haha that's awesome

we had a college republican intern at work bring in a couple boxes of celebratory donuts the morning after 2004

while free donuts are always appreciated we passed on hiring her

• Locked thread