Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Also I hate estates.

I esthates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Wow. You got me good, but the AMG reveal was top notch.

Pm me your address so I can mail you your keytag, you're gonna need it.

Edit: Goddammit that's not gonna work, I bet it has keyless start too

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 10, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

keyless start, lock, and unlock :getin:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Also I hate estates.

I esthates.

Wagons own and you should feel bad.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

Also I hate estates.

I esthates.

You hate.......The Gorester?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sl1me posted:

You hate.......The Gorester?

The Gorester is an abominable beast of its own kind, not content to tolerate the insult of lesser name or mere description.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot came over with his Swedish Murder Machine:

I worked on the E30's top while he replaced an RF LCA and brake pads/rotors all around:

Lol:

Still only about halfway through the install, but here's what it looks like stretched:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Interior/top shenanigans left to do:

Finish installing top (maybe 4 or 5 hours left depending on how much of a PITA the weatherstripping wants to be)
Install glovebox
Install center consoles. I cleaned them earlier.
Fix driver's seat back. It's crooked currently.
Install seats
Install headlight panel
Find & install plastic rivets for interior running boards

Not too much left to go. After that I'm gonna try some new gas and see how it likes that. The rough running is probably due to the ~4 year old gas :downs:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Waiting for you to paulish the krautenvagen. :colbert:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Waiting for you to paulish the krautenvagen. :colbert:

This weekend, per your recommendations :getin:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

Terrible Robot came over with his Swedish Murder Machine:

That doesn't seem like it'd be safe to drive on.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for letting me use the lift man, made that job go a lot smoother than it would otherwise. Volvo drives super nice now, those upgraded sway bar endlinks really tightened up the handling a lot.

CharlesM posted:

It looks much worse than it really is, I promise. I bought the car that way, it hasn't lost an ounce of air in almost a year of heavy use and doesn't shake at any speed.

A new wheel is $600-850, if you can find one, so uh, welp.

I've got a full set of Columbas (16" 850 wheels) that are getting wrapped in snow tires for the winter, going to find a wheel repair shop during the off season.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 15, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CharlesM posted:

It's not that heavy hitting of a beer.

That wheel looks pretty hosed however.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
IT'S FINE. IT SEES 100MPH OR BETTER EVERY SINGLE GODDAMNED DAY.

gently caress OFF ABOUT THE WHEEL.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You seem upset

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dagen H posted:

You seem upset

Usually happens when you're dealing with death daily.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You guys sure are adamant about dude needing a rimjob.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

cursedshitbox posted:

You guys sure are adamant about dude needing a rimjob.

Maybe it would relax him?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dagen H posted:

Maybe it would relax him?

:wink:
:wmwink:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The only thing more crooked than her smile is that wheel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Someday I'll bring the Trash Audi down. Someday.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

CommieGIR posted:

That's redundant :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Please do I love old Audis!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hey you

Yeah you reading this dumb thread instead of working

GET IN ON AISS 2016 YOU JERKS

:colbert:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Lighting is currently garbage in the garage but

:siren: O PIMPER OF ONLY THE FINEST QUALITY MEATS, WITNESS ME :siren:

Definitely needs a clay bar treatment and the back bumper has some scuffs but wow I'm amazed at how much it really did for the shine!

Also, anyone have a good method for taking the carmax sticker off the trunk without loving the paint up?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
For that carmax sticker use a heat gun on low and plastic razor baldes or any plastic scrapper. Heat it up and then use the plastic to get the corner up a little. Just try to keep the sticker and sticky goo hot or it will make it a nightmare. But if you do it right the sticker should peel of in one nice piece but then you may notice a paint difference where the sticker was. I once spent 30 minutes explaining to an owner of a newused BMW that it wasnt the porters fault there was a paint differnce under the sticker some other dealer put on. But it really depends how long it has been on there. If it hasnt been long it should be ok. But seeing how you went ham sammich on the detail you should be able to fix it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

:siren: O PIMPER OF ONLY THE FINEST QUALITY MEATS, WITNESS ME :siren:

You rang?

White balance on the pictures is :barf: , but looks good!

Goo Gone, used sparingly, has worked for almost every sticker issue (and tar and road paint) issues I've had. Test first, though, because I have had a couple bicycle frame paints that Goo Gone softened. Just peel the sticker, apply the product, wait 15 seconds to a minute and start wiping off. If you do it with a clean microfiber, you'll probably have to pitch the microfiber, but it'll grab the old adhesive very well.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Badger looks rather uncertain of the Benz. I think that's because it's too new and he can still smell the adhesives.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh right... BMW interior is here currently:

Never popped a picture up of it. There's a couple wires I believe go to the heater controls that I didn't plug in. I've got the wiring diagram but I don't have the loving radio keys to get it back out. Got it out last time because the clips to the holder weren't on there very well, but I fixed that this go around so I definitely need the dumb radio puller doodads.

UGH GET OUT OF MY LIFE ALREADY

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I actually rather appreciate the utter lack of replies to anything having to do with this E30. It's how I feel about it too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

I actually rather appreciate the utter lack of replies to anything having to do with this E30. It's how I feel about it too.

It's a 'vert, even the E30 nerds don't care about 'em because without the roof it's like driving a block of cheese.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's
Doll, there are plastic scrapers and pry bars in my tool box. Not sure what your radio key set up is like, but I have a lock pick set that might could help. And once you drain the old gas out, just pour it over the interior and set that poo poo on fire.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I really like 3M's adhesive remover, but I think you have to be more cautious with it vs. goo gone for damaging paint (I still use it on painted stuff frequently). I'd just stick with heat and hope all the adhesive comes off with the sticker. If it ghosts a bit in that spot, just polish it and it won't be noticeable.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Doing this. Will report back with pictures.

MrsAdiabatic posted:

Doll, there are plastic scrapers and pry bars in my tool box. Not sure what your radio key set up is like, but I have a lock pick set that might could help. And once you drain the old gas out, just pour it over the interior and set that poo poo on fire.

Thanks babe.

So the wife's sister has been driving the MR2 for about a week now, and two people have inquired about buying it. Like, in its ratty, high idle, dead valve seals, dented, poo poo paint state.

Should it stay or should it go?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
You've already started on this journey of purging. may as well finish it, clear your head and find the right next step/project.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Doing this. Will report back with pictures.

If it's a cut vinyl sticker, do like clam ache said first, heat it up a bit, grab each letter with your fingernail and it should pull up. Quick buff with Goo Gone and you're done.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Beverly Cleavage posted:

You've already started on this journey of purging. may as well finish it, clear your head and find the right next step/project.

:agreed:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

So the wife's sister has been driving the MR2 for about a week now, and two people have inquired about buying it.
Well,

quote:

Like, in its ratty, high idle, dead valve seals, dented, poo poo paint state.
I mean it's better than fixing all that poo poo, right?

Also, unless that Carmax sticker was on there for a while, try some regular soap/water first. I've removed a few Carmax stickers and they never left anything too bad behind.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Oh right... BMW interior is here currently:

There's a couple wires I believe go to the heater controls that I didn't plug in.

Yup. Just confirmed on the wiring diagrams it's the hot water cutoff switch and A/C control light wiring. I feel like I really took my time on most of this and tried to keep an attention to detail that the wife would be proud of, but I admit I was rushing the center controls.

Ordered some of the radio doodads for like 7 bucks. Super overpriced for small bits of sheetmetal but whatever time to quit stalling and get the top/interior all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Ordered some of the radio doodads for like 7 bucks. Super overpriced for small bits of sheetmetal but whatever time to quit stalling and get the top/interior all done.

Do you mean like those C-shaped guys that you use to pop the radio out?

For VWs I just cut up a coat hanger.