Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I started playing this against my better judgment, but it's kinda neat. I'm so early in the game (i.e., auto-battle still wins basically every non-boss fight with zero casualties) that most deeper strategic considerations are probably beside the point, so I'll limit it to 3 things that've piqued my curiosity.
  • Does the difficulty number represent a recommended level or is it just kinda its own thing?
  • Upgrading equipment: pointless below 5-6 stars, or what? I tried it on a run of the mill dagger and wasn't impressed, but even the 5-star Zantetsuken it gave me from the free draw didn't seem to improve much going from level 1 to 10. That leaves Augments and combining, apparently?
  • Will a generalist like your Record Keeper or the generic mages continue to pull their weight or should you trade them in for a named hero at the first opportunity? Rydia at least seems 'like a Black Mage but better in every way.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Rangpur posted:

I started playing this against my better judgment, but it's kinda neat. I'm so early in the game (i.e., auto-battle still wins basically every non-boss fight with zero casualties) that most deeper strategic considerations are probably beside the point, so I'll limit it to 3 things that've piqued my curiosity.
  • Does the difficulty number represent a recommended level or is it just kinda its own thing?
  • Upgrading equipment: pointless below 5-6 stars, or what? I tried it on a run of the mill dagger and wasn't impressed, but even the 5-star Zantetsuken it gave me from the free draw didn't seem to improve much going from level 1 to 10. That leaves Augments and combining, apparently?
  • Will a generalist like your Record Keeper or the generic mages continue to pull their weight or should you trade them in for a named hero at the first opportunity? Rydia at least seems 'like a Black Mage but better in every way.'

• Its own thing.
  • It's a smaller boost, but it's worth it, and matters more with synergy. Eventually you will hit a point where you are drowning in upgrade materials anyway.
  • The Keeper has some really good relics and while his stats are mediocre, his ability to equip and use ANYTHING is useful. Every other core character should immediately be removed from the party ASAP.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Rangpur posted:

I know you didn't really ask for this sort of advice, but I would suggest at your first opportunity to use the 50 Mythril you get (you should actually get a bunch in the item box due to the Halloween campaign that just ended) and pull on Keeper's Choice 2. Pretty much every item from that would be a huge boon to a new player, doubly so if you managed to get either Platinum Sword or Sentinel's Grimoire.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You'll be missed Black Mage.

Not much mind you. If it's any consolation, the only reason White Mage is still around is to make up for Rydia's lack of ability slots. Do you ever get more than 2?

Nephrite posted:

I know you didn't really ask for this sort of advice, but I would suggest at your first opportunity to use the 50 Mythril you get (you should actually get a bunch in the item box due to the Halloween campaign that just ended) and pull on Keeper's Choice 2. Pretty much every item from that would be a huge boon to a new player, doubly so if you managed to get either Platinum Sword or Sentinel's Grimoire.
No, I'm actually glad you said something since I'd thought about pulling on... whatever the current 25-cost Relic pull is, but I'll hold on to them for now. How often does Keeper's Choice 2 come around?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Two half price 11x draws, keepers 2, and all of the half price single draws, and I ended up with:

2 flame shields
Blank blade
Mace of Zeus
Sentinel grimoire
Ashe's defence

If only I had any of those character's (besides tyro). But if I understand, just getting that grimoire means I should be happy, right? And I only ended up spending $2, everything else was mythril or gems that I apparently had but don't know why

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Until about difficulty 60 or so the difficulty is pretty much a recommended level for your party. Once you start getting to the higher difficulties, it becomes more about what skills and relics you bring to fights. You can definitely do stuff that is significantly higher than your party level. It just takes more effort or some really good relics.

Imo it's not really worth upgrading equipment unless it's four stars or better with maybe some three stars if you have a lot of dupes and they have good bonus effects. Upgrading relics not only gives them stats but also increases the bonus they get from synergy. Relics that have a higher rarity have higher max ranks that they can achieve, so they have better synergy bonuses as well as stats. Also it's worth noting that ten points in attack from ten levels or whatever is a significant increase that will make a difference in your damage. It's also better because buffs are percentage based, so you get more mileage out of them with higher stats.

The generic classes are awful and have awful stats but can get some good record materia when you break their caps. Tyro(Record Keeper) on the other hand still doesn't have very good stats other than mind,, but he can use any equipment and any ability making him pretty versatile. He can also get some really good record materia when you break his level caps and has a decent burst soul break and the potential to cast wall which is very useful for a lot of endgame fights. I'd say get him to 65 and get his record materia and then ditch him unless you get his good relics or you need a specific role filled that no one else can do.

Also yeah totally draw on keepers choice 2 at some point. It won't go away for a while so don't worry needing to draw on it asap. Though you probably should after you do your lucky draw.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Rangpur posted:

No, I'm actually glad you said something since I'd thought about pulling on... whatever the current 25-cost Relic pull is, but I'll hold on to them for now. How often does Keeper's Choice 2 come around?

Keeper's choice will stick around for like... 11 months? Basically it'll be available for so long, that power creep will eventually obsolete it before it actually goes away. :v:

Definitely hit the 25 mythril 11-pulls whenever you can, unless you're really well off. That discount is real nice. I'll just quote a relic advice post I did yesterday:

Attestant posted:

Half price banner coming later today is a good start, always pull on those when you're new. Then I'd recommend keeper's selection 2, the key items being Platinum Sword (FFT, Ramza) and Sentinel Grimoire (Tyro). Having one or both is pretty vital for late game content.

Besides those, there is a notably strong FF3 banner coming in a few weeks, that is very much worth pulling on. Or just pull on whatever game you like, since early on having any 5* items is a huge upgrade in power. Take note of AoE cure and Haste effects in particular, since those are very valuable effects to have.

Important thing is to always do an 11-item pull, since that guarantees at least one 5* relic. Avoid 3-pulls completely, and 1-pulls are only worth it if you spend a dollar on the single discounted pull you can get.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Imo it's not really worth upgrading equipment unless it's four stars or better with maybe some three stars if you have a lot of dupes and they have good bonus effects.

This isn't quite true, since combined & reforged 3* gear (5*+++) is still great with realm synergy. I'd highly advice holding on to pretty everything 3* and above when you're starting, just to build up realm synergy. Daggers, swords and rods are especially useful, since they're commonly used DPS character weapons. For armor, hats and bracers are the best things in the 3/4* item pool, since they offer bonuses to offensive stats.

Also good to keep in mind is that The Vault is a good place to store crappy dupes until you can fully combine three items.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 9, 2016

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Lucky Draw gave me a Twin Lance (Squall BSB), which is actually pretty great! That's a considerable boost to my VIII physical synergy. I had no need at all for V or VII stuff, so this went pretty well.

It also means that I can now field a full physical team where everyone has an BSB. That would be Gilgamesh, Vaan, Squall, Tyro, and Eiko. Since I have native SG, that's basically Shout RW forever and ever and ever.

But Kain is my bro and I dived the hell out of him and honed Dragoon Jump to R3, so there's a good chance he joins the team and Gilg/Squall becomes a wildcard depending upon the demands of battle.

I also really, really hope I can get Kain's BSB.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

I just asked the webmaster. He said "That's because the latest update borked my backend. I've been working like a madmen to figure out the new encryption and get it back. I'm working on it as we speak. Reverse engineering is fun (not)." He says he's close to figuring it out, though, so fingers crossed.
Good to know, then. The primary concern I had on that end was that we wouldn't have access to the elite dungeon stats. This doesn't matter so much for me (considering that I can easily smack most of the new ones around), but for someone who's invested less I'd imagine it would be more of an issue.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

Important thing is to always do an 11-item pull, since that guarantees at least one 5* relic. Avoid 3-pulls completely, and 1-pulls are only worth it if you spend a dollar on the single discounted pull you can get.

Extra reminder though: after 29 of those you'll have spent exactly as much money as you would for an 11 pull, just spread out over time and likely without picking up a 5*. So it's whichever version of the math you prefer.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mithross posted:

Two half price 11x draws, keepers 2, and all of the half price single draws, and I ended up with:

2 flame shields
Blank blade
Mace of Zeus
Sentinel grimoire
Ashe's defence

If only I had any of those character's (besides tyro). But if I understand, just getting that grimoire means I should be happy, right? And I only ended up spending $2, everything else was mythril or gems that I apparently had but don't know why

Sentinel Grimoire is super good. Basically what it does, is give +200% to both Defense and Resistance, making it a massive defensive buff. One of the best in the game, that power creep has never really caught up on. It won't feel too amazing right now, but it'll be a godsend in difficulty 99 and higher content.

Basically: :toot:

Now that you have SG, you can probably leave that banner alone. The other important chase relic on it is the Platinum Sword and its Shout, but that you can get from a roaming warrior easily enough.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 9, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Schwartzcough posted:

I just asked the webmaster. He said "That's because the latest update borked my backend. I've been working like a madmen to figure out the new encryption and get it back. I'm working on it as we speak. Reverse engineering is fun (not)." He says he's close to figuring it out, though, so fingers crossed.

I have no idea what he's talking about because there is no encryption on the JSON on either the global or Japanese clients. I just loaded up a stage in the FFX event to be sure and it's 100% pure unencrypted data.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zurai posted:

I have no idea what he's talking about because there is no encryption on the JSON on either the global or Japanese clients. I just loaded up a stage in the FFX event to be sure and it's 100% pure unencrypted data.

Yeah, I couldn't tell if the issue was the 'real' encryption people had been getting worried about, or some other change that resulted in his automated back-end data collection not getting the data correctly anymore. :shrug:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I suppose it's possible they changed the format somewhere, but FFRK Inspector still pulls up enemy data automatically so it can't be that.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Decided to do a triple on the Smol banner with the Whack-A-Monster mythril because hey my mage meta team is getting stacked as hell might as well try to stack it more.

Didn't get anything mage relevant but I did get Relm's Luminous Robe. That Hastega + 50% Crit will be delicious on my physical team. Also means I'm totally ditching Ramza for Quina or Leon. A good day indeed.

KingReploid
Jan 18, 2013

"X" possesses great risks as well as great possibilities.
A few weeks ago I was complaining about not getting Plat Sword.

:smuggo:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I almost didn't pull on the DU Lucky draw, but I had already allocated the mythril for the purpose in my planner and I wasn't entirely mentally stable last night, so I went ahead and did it.

Two shinies, Strange Vision and Masamune-Shinuchi. Way, way, way better than I could have hoped for. Seph's burst is absolutely future-proof and Strange Vision, while not a stellar healing burst, actually has a lot of potential as an attacking burst.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

just Lenna's Sage Staff on the Lucky Draw.

It's a medica w/heavy regen, which is okay, but I already had sheepsong so it's not a tremendous help. I don't think any future CM is possible given my lack of good FFV relics, those two and moore branch are my only realm SBs. Need more FFV pulls :(

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pander posted:

just Lenna's Sage Staff on the Lucky Draw.

It's a medica w/heavy regen, which is okay, but I already had sheepsong so it's not a tremendous help. I don't think any future CM is possible given my lack of good FFV relics, those two and moore branch are my only realm SBs. Need more FFV pulls :(

Actually a SSB-level medica, a hastega/faithga/regen, and a runic effect are all really solid relics, and I've done CMs with much worse. It's all you really need for a great mage team if the boss has a weakness you can exploit with a RW magic BSB. Plus all the physical V characters can self-buff themselves if you can get a 4*+++ weapon or something (Steal Power for Faris/Bartz, Meteor Crash for Galuf, and Mirror of Equity for Gilgamesh).

Really, most CMs can be done if you have a couple honed 5* abilities. You're significantly better off than that.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
So what was the recommended procedure for the Witch Hats? Combine them into a 8+++, or have two 6+'s? I don't run mage teams very often as I don't have many good mage SB's, all I have off the top of my head (that aren't complete poo poo) are Rinoa BSB, TERROR Magitek Missiles, Serah SSB, and Exdeath Grand Cross. I have plenty of gil so I'm not really worried about reforge costs.

(okay Magitek Missiles really aren't that powerful but still)

Shock Trooper fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 10, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Japan had a Dungeon Update today as well (#32), so I grabbed the relevant data/guessed my way through Google Translate to put up the new stuff and turn off some filters for DU 26 in the dungeon summary. I've decided not to bother putting up event data for one-time things, but I will reconstitute the recurring events (Nightmare and Mote dungeons) in some form or another.

Should I fiddle around with the side branches at all? Currently there are seven of them, but I'm not sure quite how to arrange the set.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

LornMarkus posted:

Extra reminder though: after 29 of those you'll have spent exactly as much money as you would for an 11 pull, just spread out over time and likely without picking up a 5*. So it's whichever version of the math you prefer.

Actually you would be extremely unlucky to pull 29 times in a row without getting a single 5*. That's about a little less than a 1% chance of happening. There's no question that statistically the dollar draws are the most efficient at least in terms of pure 5* per dollar spent over a long period of time.

What you do lose out on with dollar draws is that you are spreading those pulls out over multiple banners which likely dilutes your pulls into less powerful banners. You might be better off doing an 11 pull on something like onion knight 1 for example. BUT this all depends on your synergy needs.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

edit: wrong goddamn FF thread again, sorry guys

edit 2: to clarify I thought I was in the FFBE thread, where pulling any 5* character from the gatcha is 1%, and therefore a really terrible idea to chase those units.

Benthalus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 10, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

flowinprose posted:

Actually you would be extremely unlucky to pull 29 times in a row without getting a single 5*. That's about a little less than a 1% chance of happening. There's no question that statistically the dollar draws are the most efficient at least in terms of pure 5* per dollar spent over a long period of time.

What you do lose out on with dollar draws is that you are spreading those pulls out over multiple banners which likely dilutes your pulls into less powerful banners. You might be better off doing an 11 pull on something like onion knight 1 for example. BUT this all depends on your synergy needs.

This is correct. The dollar pull is actually about twice the return as a single (paid) 11-pull. The most common result from an 11-pull is about 2 5 star relics; the expected return from 29 single pulls is just over 4 5 star relics.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 10, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Benthalus posted:

Uh, no. The rate of any 5* is 1% or 0.01. The change of a single pull not giving a 5* is 99% or 0.99. The probability of 29 consecutive independent events of 0.99 likelihood is 0.99^29 = .7471, or about 75% to pull no 5*. So really you'd be lucky to get a 5* in those 29 pulls since it is only a 1/4 chance.

I think you're thinking of the rate to get a SPECIFIC 5* relic, which I seem to remember being 1%. The rate of ANY 5* relic was closer to 12% or 13%, I thought.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
I wish the old 5 star relics would go away from banners even if it's the bargain bin lucky banner that cost 10 mithril

I'm salty cuz I got a Buster sword (lame that it doesn't have a unique sprite) and irvine's first sb are the 5 stars I got on the lucky draw

superloosegoose fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 10, 2016

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

flowinprose posted:

I'm an extremity, but I'm on 100 gem #32 since a 5*.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Koobes posted:

Hard to say the odds without knowing exactly what you drew on, but assuming a 14% odds of 5*, that's around 0.8% chance. (I think it's around 3.5~ at 10%. The actual value is, thanks to banner shifts, somewhere in the middle.)

So you know, not nearly impossible, but at the same time you're pretty unlucky. It's basically the same rate as the people that 11 pull and successfully dredge out 1/11 off-banners!

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtxFmzEt1o&list=PLthPnWFrfb-H7a6qO0tymSO9P2hFMMxQf&index=52

I had not seen Shantotto's BSB until now, and now I desperately need to own it.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Koobes posted:

Well that's the thing, there are going to be cases where people get unlucky. On the other hand, there's also some people out there that have gotten eleven 5* items in the same number of draws (which is approximately the same likelihood as getting zero 5* relics in 32 pulls).

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

SageAcrin posted:

It's basically the same rate as the people that 11 pull and successfully dredge out 1/11 off-banners!
Speaking of which, I decided to pull an 11 on the Keepers Choice 2, since all of the relics looked really handy, except Excalibur V since I already have Bartz BSB.
I got one 5*. Guess what it was!?
At least I was able to get a ice-resist armor and some elemental weapons.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Speaking of which, I decided to pull an 11 on the Keepers Choice 2, since all of the relics looked really handy, except Excalibur V since I already have Bartz BSB.

The Excalibur is still pretty useful, really. It has the +20% Holy damage that most Excaliburs have, and the SSB is very good. Relatively high non-elemental damage, and a +% Def bonus. I'd argue that it's stronger than his BSB if you're not hitting weakness.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Bartz can use lifesiphon.

Why not use both?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Following the XI event in JP, it's

FFT: Introducing Rapha and Marach, or Rafa and Malak if you prefer.
FFXII: A Penelo-focused event.
FFX: More Tidus.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My Lucky Draw gave me all 3* except for Lenna's full party cure SSB.

This is my 7th white mage full party cure.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
FF13 event doesn't start until Friday? Guess today is Dungeon Update day.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hogama posted:

Following the XI event in JP, it's

FFT: Introducing Rapha and Marach, or Rafa and Malak if you prefer.
FFXII: A Penelo-focused event.
FFX: More Tidus.

Huh, kind of expected to get Meliadoul before those two, but oh well.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Here's a video of how chain soul breaks work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D4BqOTgq9w

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Penelo is seriously getting another event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
X and XIII are the new VI and VII, I guess

Shoenin posted:

Penelo is seriously getting another event?

Probably a USB for her, like how Aeris just got one in the most recent VII event in Japan. We won't be getting the Vayne event in Global for almost four more months still, so I'm cool with two XII events relatively close together.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 10, 2016

• Locked thread