Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Now they just need to build a bigger one. Right now I have a C7 on a 65W 5775c, but it wasn't so great on a 4790K. A taller version would hopefully perform even better than the C7. The engine 27 is in a strange place market wise because people who generally have <70W CPU's usually use stock coolers. On top of that, people like to use the biggest coolers possible for the space they have, and the engine is very short which is not a common cut off point, even for SFF builds. So they should scale up to cover bigger TDPs even if it means a little more height, because almost every build can support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I just have a 65W 6500 with the stock cooler, it's fine...although I can hear the fan spin up under load so I guess I kinda have a reason. But still as mentioned, it'd be primarily just cause it's neat and looks cool.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Wait, the C7 is supposedly rated for 100W TDP chips. Should I be looking at buying the Engine 27 over the C7, in spite of the lower wattage rating?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Grundulum posted:

Wait, the C7 is supposedly rated for 100W TDP chips. Should I be looking at buying the Engine 27 over the C7, in spite of the lower wattage rating?

If you can fit the C7, you should probably just get that. Supports a higher tdp and is cheaper.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Grundulum posted:

... no?

I honestly don't understand why you'd even ask. As the guy above me said you would only get something like an Engine 27 when you can't fit anything bigger.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

So Newegg has a bunch of be quiet coolers on sale. I'm debating between these two:

be quiet Shadow Rock LP for $30: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V2TR2312
be quiet Dark Rock LP for $60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V32N4373

My case has the clearance for the Dark Rock LP, but would it be overkill for a i5 4690 that isn't overclocked? I don't need -extreme- cooling since I'm currently running a H100i, but I'd prefer something quieter at idle. Intel says that it's TDP is 84W, so the Shadow Rock LP should do the trick, right?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

kimcicle posted:

So Newegg has a bunch of be quiet coolers on sale. I'm debating between these two:

be quiet Shadow Rock LP for $30: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V2TR2312
be quiet Dark Rock LP for $60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V32N4373

My case has the clearance for the Dark Rock LP, but would it be overkill for a i5 4690 that isn't overclocked? I don't need -extreme- cooling since I'm currently running a H100i, but I'd prefer something quieter at idle. Intel says that it's TDP is 84W, so the Shadow Rock LP should do the trick, right?

If you're just looking for something quieter at stock speeds then both of those are overkill. You'd be fine with a Cryorig M9i.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
be quiet! do make some daamn nice cold-rear end coolers though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Found a review of the Engine 27...in Japanese:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/wisteriear/archives/1062342852.html

Going through a translator, they tested it on a 6700K, and did a lower voltage/speed or something to simulate 65W. They also tested with the protective film on the cooler on accident, which is that first table with temps around 100°C :v:

If I'm reading it right it maxed out at 69°C and 1560 RPM at the lower voltage/speed, and 88°C/2450 RPM for the 6700K running normally, and I guess noise is about 35 and 47db around those speeds according to those two pics with the mic. The text around there seems to say min/max is 1500-2500.

japtor fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 11, 2016

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I'm getting ready to completely redo my office and current setup soon, and really want to build a mini-itx setup so I can hide it easily up under the desk. My only current hesitation with going the mini-itx route is loosing out on the extra expansion slot which I am currently using for my Xonar Essensce STX sound card, which I have been really happy with when paired with my DT990 Pro headphones, plugged directly into card. I also have some crap speakers which I am running via onboard optical cable to my receiver, which I want to get rid of when I upgrade. I pretty much just use these speakers now for alerting me to skype notifications for work, but plan on getting some nicer ones that actually sound good, so I am not forced to use my headphones all the time.

What is going to be my best way to proceed, Just from looking I assume I am going to have to get a USB Dac and AMP combo, I've been looking at the Schiit stuff as it seems to be pretty popular. Would I be able to run the external speakers off of the DAC/Amp?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I'm not sure what you're asking. Would a motherboard with a built-in sound card meet your needs?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qsX2FT/asus-motherboard-maximusviiiimpact

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You could also get an external soundcard or interface. Even something like a used low-end Saffire would be more than enough I/O.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Grundulum posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Would a motherboard with a built-in sound card meet your needs?

After using the Xonar, the built in sound card on my Asus Maximus sounds terrible when using anything other than optical, granted its a version 5, all sorts of background noise.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

niss posted:

After using the Xonar, the built in sound card on my Asus Maximus sounds terrible when using anything other than optical, granted its a version 5, all sorts of background noise.

Usb Fiio DAC and headphone amp?

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Bit of niche question but hopefully someone here might be able to help:

Does anyone know what the cheapest currently available NUC-type device is that has a TPM included in it? We initially got a Brix BXBT-1900 in for testing on a project we're doing, but there's no TPM. I have an Intel NUC5PPYH at home which specifically states in the specifications that there's no TPM, but it does have one.

Any ideas?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think anything that advertises vPro will have a TPM. Alternatively there's the Dell OptiPlex Micro series, or HP's 'Mini' form-factor in their business PC range.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Grundulum posted:

Speaking of this motherboard, is it still the one to get for high-performance Mini-ITX builds?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Mung Dynasty posted:

Speaking of this motherboard, is it still the one to get for high-performance Mini-ITX builds?

I've got this: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170I-PRO-GAMING/

and it's really really good. don't know about that one tho

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Course it's not like there's a whole lot of options when you're talking about Z170 ITX boards:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=110&f=8

Also from the PC building and Intel threads, Micro Center is doing CPU/mobo deals for anyone that has one nearby.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What do you guys like for cases these days

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If you're going with the Microcenter deal, the Asrock Z170 Gaming ITX is a good choice. Right now there is a $30 rebate with it, plus $30 bundle savings with processor.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/452369/Z170_Gaming_ITX-AC_LGA_1151_mITX_Intel_Motherboard

signalnoise posted:

My case pics are in the second post of this thread. Not much has change since I wrote it, unfortunately.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

signalnoise posted:

still waiting on that dan a4 lmao

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'm using the Ncase M1, I like it but I made the mistake of moving my system to it w/o double-checking my GPU width. I tried for a long time to get it inside, and I was able to fit it inside the case, but there was no way for me to insert the card into the motherboard while inside. I could put in an older (smaller) card I have laying around, but I enjoy the absurdity of this setup.

Current plan is to replace the card with a stock 1080, put a hybrid cooler on it, and finally be able to close my case. The EVGA step-up queue can't last forever... right?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Actuarial Fables posted:

I'm using the Ncase M1, I like it but I made the mistake of moving my system to it w/o double-checking my GPU width. I tried for a long time to get it inside, and I was able to fit it inside the case, but there was no way for me to insert the card into the motherboard while inside. I could put in an older (smaller) card I have laying around, but I enjoy the absurdity of this setup.

Current plan is to replace the card with a stock 1080, put a hybrid cooler on it, and finally be able to close my case. The EVGA step-up queue can't last forever... right?

I finally got processed for mine after 3 months of waiting, and sent it out the other day. But I went for the ACX3.0 cooler version.

Whch video card did you have? I'd imagine its the FTW or Classified if its too wide. I thought the lower level EVGAs were just barely wider than the bracket itself.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 17, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Here's my Ncase from however many pages back:

...still waiting for Black Friday or some other deal to get a short 1060 (I know I don't need it, I just like the gobs of space). And I still want that spinny heat sink CPU fan for the hell of it. Custom short cabling would be nice but I'm too cheap for that for now at least, when I get the GPU I'll probably just try to tidy up the wires a bit. Might hook up a spare drive or two I have laying around for the hell of it, I don't really need the storage space but eh those drives aren't doing anything else and I got a crapload of room left in the case. Er actually I forget if I even have an SATA port exposed for it, there's a bunch but most are blocked by the PSU there.

I had routed the wifi/BT antenna from outside to inside and back out, along with putting an Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter inside, but got screw on antennae for wifi/BT, and just moved the 360 adapter outside cause the range was predictably poor inside the case. It'd actually be fine if I were playing at a desk, but I have this hooked up to a TV so it got spotty at the viewing distances there.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

VulgarandStupid posted:

I finally got processed for mine after 3 months of waiting, and sent it out the other day. But I went for the ACX3.0 cooler version.

Whch video card did you have? I'd imagine its the FTW or Classified if its too wide. I thought the lower level EVGAs were just barely wider than the bracket itself.

980ti Classified. Bought it for the step-up while I still was using this thing so size wasn't really a consideration.

I should have opted in for the "downgrade" to the stock clock version, not like the SC gives that much of a difference since it's easy to OC these cards.

-

My GPU runs (on) The Orange Box flawlessly

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone interested in purchasing a Fractal Design Node 304? Have to move from my itx to a mid size tower for more hdd space.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Anyone interested in purchasing a Fractal Design Node 304? Have to move from my itx to a mid size tower for more hdd space.

Can you buy an external enclosure with multiple bays? Building a whole new computer seems extreme given that USB 3 options exist that allow you to connect many (4+) drives using a single USB port. (I guess you'd lose the parallelism of having each drive connected individually to your motherboard, but it doesn't look like that would be a problem until you're dealing with 4 or more bays seeing simultaneous use.)

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
It sounds like they're just buying a new case, not new components. You can put a mITX motherboard in a mATX case, or even a mid-size ATX one! :)
--
Dunno if you've bought the larger case yet, but I have a Node 804 if you'd like to do a trade. 8 + 2 3.5" drive capability. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352047

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 17, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FCKGW posted:

6 drives isn't enough? What setup are you running?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If 6 is not enough, it might be time to start considering a NAS TBH.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

It sounds like they're just buying a new case, not new components. You can put a mITX motherboard in a mATX case, or even a mid-size ATX one! :)
--
Dunno if you've bought the larger case yet, but I have a Node 804 if you'd like to do a trade. 8 + 2 3.5" drive capability. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352047

Already bought a new Fractal Define R4 and migrated the parts. The mobo is swimming in this case.

well why not posted:

If 6 is not enough, it might be time to start considering a NAS TBH.

This was my NAS. Had to finally sacrifice size for more HDD bays.

I still have another ITX system though :)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Seriously, for anyone considering a fractal nano s, just get it. It's so high quality and utterly quiet. I couldn't be happier with it.

I still find myself thinking my rig is turned off weekly.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I don't do well with just 6 bays because I'm all about RAIDZ2 with a total of 8 drives and a couple old SSDs living out their days of slavery retirement as cache or remote boot devices. Beyond 8 drives, things tend to spiral out of control with 12, 16, and 24 bays now becoming your typical choices and now you're trying to price out how much you're willing to spend on blank hotswap bays and caddies insted of more sweet, sweet storage.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I don't do well with just 6 bays because I'm all about RAIDZ2 with a total of 8 drives and a couple old SSDs living out their days of slavery retirement as cache or remote boot devices. Beyond 8 drives, things tend to spiral out of control with 12, 16, and 24 bays now becoming your typical choices and now you're trying to price out how much you're willing to spend on blank hotswap bays and caddies insted of more sweet, sweet storage.

Just how important is your anime collection? I used to back up to a of TV shows and movies but after a while I just realized I don't watch things more than once. Now I'm trying to slim down to just 2 1TB SSDs.

Also it seems like a single SSD is still safer than HDDs in RAID.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I prune TV shows regularly in a cron job (really, sent to a queue for deletion) and have other needs for mass storage besides media such as some analytics projects I'm working on as well as my VMs and containers I juggle. Then there's backups / archives from things at work. Personal entertainment media is like... 40% of my disk consumption I think.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Already bought a new Fractal Define R4 and migrated the parts. The mobo is swimming in this case.

This was my NAS. Had to finally sacrifice size for more HDD bays.

I still have another ITX system though :)

neat. are you gonna do the ODD > HDD caddy thing?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

:lol:

That mobo looks adorable in that case

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

well why not posted:

neat. are you gonna do the ODD > HDD caddy thing?

Maybe. I would have to change the mobo to add another HBA card for more ports though.

I'm hoping the 7x 8tb drives hold me over for a while.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The Ncase guys are floating a new concept. It's basically a Dan Case A4 with an integrated handle. Seems a bit silly to me, but the best part of their design is they're trying to source a cheaper and better engineered PCIE riser card/cable.

https://hardforum.com/threads/project-sidearmd-undecided-ncase-project.1917978/