Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Cardiac posted:

Yeah, and it is going to be interesting whether our political elite will learn anything from Brexit and Trump winning.
There is an obvious discrepancy between them (for many reasons) and the so-called silent majority.
In other words, pretty please can we avoid having SD at 25% and as largest party.

I think (hope) that SD has it's current roof at 20%. But gently caress America for giving them something to hope for. The loving idiots, you'd have to be insande AND stupid (i.e. SD) to welcome a Trump presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zudgemud posted:

What we first need to do is making voting mandatory with fines handed out to people who neglect their civic duty, because people not voting due to laziness just puts democracy in the bin.

On the other hand, australia

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

What we first need to do is making voting mandatory with fines handed out to people who neglect their civic duty, because people not voting due to laziness just puts democracy in the bin.

Like Australia then?

Edit: Beaten like Hillary

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zudgemud posted:

Problem with mandatory voting is that people who have no opinion will just roll a die to pick something, or troll vote or whatever.

I prefer the carrot method to the stick method, come up with some sort of reward or benefit for voting. Also change the voting system so that it feels more worthwhile to vote (Single Transferable Vote thanks) so you can vote for the party that actually aligns with your interests rather than having to choose the lesser evil.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

I think (hope) that SD has it's current roof at 20%. But gently caress America for giving them something to hope for. The loving idiots, you'd have to be insande AND stupid (i.e. SD) to welcome a Trump presidency.

Next out is probably LePen as French president if the trend keeps on going.

They are polling at 20% on average atm, but considering the deficits most municipalities will face in 2017-2018 due to the immigration crisis of last year, I am pessimistic.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Since young people don't really vote (see Brexit) but old ones do, I guess we should blame the schools in the 60-80s then?
It's gone on for a long time. I went to school in the 80s and it in retrospect it was pretty bad in terms of learning actual useful skills like finding and filtering information instead of just absorbing it without question.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Welp, at least Dansk Folkeparti are dropping in opinion polls due to various scandals, but who knows what they stand to gain from a Trump presidency.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It appears the best career move right now is to become a right wing politician.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

eightpole posted:

It appears the best career move right now is to become a right wing politician.

Probably, especially considering the other parties are pretty locked down by nepotism.
Well, islamism seems to be a winner within MP though.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Cardiac posted:

Probably, especially considering the other parties are pretty locked down by nepotism.
Well, islamism seems to be a winner within MP though.

Except you get booted if you are found sitting at the same table as Islamists.

Meanwhile, laughing at the idea of dead Jews ON CAMERA is kosher for other parties.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Zudgemud posted:

Is it laziness why people don't vote or is it that they have a feeling that their vote doesn't matter? All decisions are made in the cabinets anyways by unelected people which are then implemented by whoever wins the election.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Collateral Damage posted:

It's all an effect of neglecting the school for so long. Kids aren't taught fact checking and critical thinking any more, which has given us the fact-resistant generation who only trusts whatever their echo chamber on Facebook says. No matter how many actual truths you shove in their faces they'll ignore it if it doesn't match up with their preconceived world view.

Eeeeh. A contributing factor, maybe.

I read an article in Respons that I thought was pretty interesting (note: academic discussion, not really a pundit-authored thinkpiece). There were other articles in the same issue that also seemed interesting such as this one but I haven't read them all yet.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 9, 2016

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Except you get booted if you are found sitting at the same table as Islamists.

Meanwhile, laughing at the idea of dead Jews ON CAMERA is kosher for other parties.

While making hints about it is apparently fine, lex Reepalu.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Emetic Hustler posted:

Is it laziness why people don't vote or is it that they have a feeling that their vote doesn't matter?
The former follows the latter. It's hard to find effort to do something meaningless, isn't it? Doesn't even matter if cabinets or whatever else is voted in directly or indirectly. Plenty of people just have preconception of politics being decided at a plane remote from their existence.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The former follows the latter. It's hard to find effort to do something meaningless, isn't it? Doesn't even matter if cabinets or whatever else is voted in directly or indirectly. Plenty of people just have preconception of politics being decided at a plane remote from their existence.

Also not probably helped by the Swedish party system, where loyalty to the party matter the most and puts you on top off the nomination list and where parties are to 90% financed by the state.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

http://www.svt.se/opinion/article11011909.svt

A short little think-piece that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the future of the GOP in USA. I'm just sad that they'll make life harder for their perception of "untermenchen" (LGBT, muslims, women in general) before they crash and burn.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

http://www.svt.se/opinion/article11011909.svt

A short little think-piece that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the future of the GOP in USA. I'm just sad that they'll make life harder for their perception of "untermenchen" (LGBT, muslims, women in general) before they crash and burn.
As it looks right now, Trump administration is seeking to sign a few dozen executive orders to destroy Obama's legacy right in the first day of the office. Pence has confirmed full reversal on LGBT rights. And, as you may imagine, there will be a red Supreme Court, that may only get worse if one or more justices do die of old age during the Trump presidency. As it stands, even in for years they will be able to inflict decades of social and political damage, especially with the Supreme Court staffing. The most frightening part of all I have just mentioned? We are only in the early [American] morning of the first day after the election day.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As it looks right now, Trump administration is seeking to sign a few dozen executive orders to destroy Obama's legacy right in the first day of the office. Pence has confirmed full reversal on LGBT rights. And, as you may imagine, there will be a red Supreme Court, that may only get worse if one or more justices do die of old age during the Trump presidency. As it stands, even in for years they will be able to inflict decades of social and political damage, especially with the Supreme Court staffing. The most frightening part of all I have just mentioned? We are only in the early [American] morning of the first day after the election day.

You just had to come in here and make sense? :eng99:

I'm just interested to see if the rabid Trumpsupporters CAN be let down by their supreme leader, or if they'll eat up his inevitable lies and excuses as he fails on every major campaign promise.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

You just had to come in here and make sense? :eng99:
:confused: Just in case, I might be sorry.

BigglesSWE posted:

I'm just interested to see if the rabid Trumpsupporters CAN be let down by their supreme leader, or if they'll eat up his inevitable lies and excuses as he fails on every major campaign promise.
I saw this mentioned somewhere else on the forums - he might just do bunch of busywork that appears to be means to get A or B done. Either way, he was voted in for being a piece of poo poo, not in spite of that, so I can't say that there will be a sudden revolution against him. Turns out Americans, especially white middle+ class ones, do hate Hillary Clinton to an extent they will vote for candidate that they objectively find unfit for presidency.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:confused: Just in case, I might be sorry.

I meant that it was a very good post with some horrifying (but perfectly logical) assumptions. Meant nothing bad towards you, chum.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

I meant that it was a very good post with some horrifying (but perfectly logical) assumptions. Meant nothing bad towards you, chum.
Oh, I see. I wish all of those were assumptions, to be fair. There have already been official statements concerning the first day executive orders, and destruction of LGBT protections. The major assumptions I made are a long standing conservative majority in the Supreme Court after Trump is done with presidency, and the public in general regressing towards xenophobia. I'm afraid that either may be more likely than not.

At least you guys are not voting for SD any time soon (or ever at all), even though even SD would prove to be a major quality of political life improvement for me coming over from Latvia. While our right is not so overt with slandering "the others", they still are economically liberal. At least they can't possibly form a government without any of the two major parties taking the effective lead of the coalition.

Well, they couldn't. We're experienced sort of a political crisis right now with ruling party plummeting to being unpopular with everyone bar literally their friends and relatives, so it's hard to predict what will happen on the next elections.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hey, if we're lucky maybe the Chinese economy will noticeably wobble enough to make the average person panic before the year is up so we can finally blow the housing bubble. Maybe even get some Baltic refugees if Russia invades them once they figure out that they won't face any further consequences than a sternly written letter signed by most of the EU leaders (after they've argued for five months over which font to use). :toot:

Anyway, what is fi up to these days?

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BigglesSWE posted:

You're gay. The SD top has been lukewarm at best on Trump and the party leader is critical of him. Contrary to shitlib echo chamber propaganda, SD are as milquetoast and level-headed as nationalist parties get (because they're Swedes after all).

Trump's alleged raycism and seksism were reactions to the increasing identitarianism under the Obama years. Sanders vs. Trump would have been a more interesting if less entertaining election but Dem primary voters were oblivious to the zeitgeist and picked Mrs. Globalist instead. Had the election been Sanders vs. Hillary's counterpart among Republicans Jeb Bush, Dems could easily have won a third term even with the incumbent disadvantage. Now that they're in the underdog position and have the initiative, maybe American libs should try appealing to Trump voters instead of shitlisting them because they don't keep up with a dozen new genders every week.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Karpaw posted:

You're gay.
Is this some post-PC take on throwing around "fag" at people?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Huh, never realized the weather in Stockholm was so different. (Referring to the news that 30-40 cm of snow is more than it's had in a hundred years.)

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Stockholm is bad & only rural poor piece of poo poo towns are good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eightpole posted:

Stockholm is bad & only rural poor piece of poo poo towns are good

I see. Next time I'm in Sweden I'll have to visit some of those. Any recommendations?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

I see. Next time I'm in Sweden I'll have to visit some of those. Any recommendations?

http://ehrenstrom.se/Halindex2.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Tobo, I lived there for some time. Remember to visit the pizza place serving food poisoning, toilet paper, coffee, and cigarettes to the entire population of 800.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Tobo, I lived there for some time. Remember to visit the pizza place serving food poisoning, toilet paper, coffee, and cigarettes to the entire population of 800.

That doesn't sound good to me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

That doesn't sound good to me.

I think you're starting to get a good grasp of this whole rural thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have relatives in Sjöbo, I agree with the special bonus point for that town.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Jerry Cotton posted:

Huh, never realized the weather in Stockholm was so different. (Referring to the news that 30-40 cm of snow is more than it's had in a hundred years.)

A bit late, but it's more snow in one go in November than the last hundred years, not more snow in general.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

quote:

Institutionens hålmästare kan idag rekommendera besök i:
Hallstavik, Edsbro, Nykvarn (AB), Skutskär, Tierp, Tärnsjö, Skärplinge, Simtuna (C), Hälleforsnäs, Tystberga (D), Ljungsbro, Gusum, Skärblacka (E), Pauliström, Aneby, Sävsjö (F), Lessebo, Strömnäsbruk, Liatorp (G), Gullringen, Fårbo, Mönsterås, Trekanten (H), Slite, Hemse (I), Svängsta, Olofström (K), Everöd, Tollarp, Skånes Tranås (L), Sjöbo, Vollsjö, Klippan (M), Hyltebruk, Laholm, Ullared, Oskarsström (N), Stenungsund, Surte, Skee (O), Svenljunga, Vårgårda, Bengtsfors (P), Töreboda, Tibro, Lundsbrunn (R) Grums, Hagfors, Segmon, Deje (S), Hällefors, Röfors, Laxå, Pålsboda (T), Fagersta, Tillberga, Heby, Riddarhyttan (U), Fredriksberg, Fors, Långshyttan, Grycksbo, Evertsberg (W), Ljusne, Hofors, Iggesund, Holmsveden (X), Ånge, Torpshammar, Alby, Ljungaverk (Y), Åsarna, Undersåker, Hoting (Z), Hällnäs, Boliden, Fredrika (AC), Vidsel, Murjek, Glommersträsk (BD).

I've been to about a dozen of these and agree with the recommendations in all cases. Can contribute Björneborg (in Värmland, not in Finnish Österbotten).

Speaking of this though, quick poll: how many people of my own generation and younger (say, born after 1985?) actually know what a länsbokstav is, or even better actually know which letter(s) corresponds to which county? I know it because I have a knack for remembering obscure and pointless trivia and also because of all the officious historical texts I work with, but they're hardly in common use these days and I don't remember learning about them in school.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 10, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Younger and I have no idea what you're even talking about.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MiddleOne posted:

Younger and I have no idea what you're even talking about.

See those letters in parentheses after the town names in the text I quoted? Each county (län) has a shorthand designation, one or two letters, called "länsbokstav". Almost nobody uses them these days. Before 1973 these letters were used on license plates for cars - the registration number was the county shorthand followed by some digits. They were pretty ubiquitous especially in official documents during most of the 20th century (wordings like "Vidsel, BD län" were pretty common from what I've seen), but after they were removed from cars people stopped using them and I don't know if they're even officially recognized now.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A4nsbokstav

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 10, 2016

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

loving lol if your local pizzeria isnt also an illegal night club

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eightpole posted:

loving lol if your local pizzeria isnt also an illegal night club
It's so illegal it doesn't even work after dark. :smug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's some next level poo poo.

I got admit there was something charming to the one local pizza joint being the only place people socialized back when I was 10. Owner always having weird tales to tell as we waited and gossiped about whatever that weeks nonsense was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fader Movitz posted:

A bit late, but it's more snow in one go in November than the last hundred years, not more snow in general.

I guess I shouldn't trust lovely Tabloid 2 to report things accurately :doh: