Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I, alone in the world, am not a product of circumstances, but a being willed into existence through its own subject. I am the sole arbiter of all causes and effects, and I can tell who is found lacking in the face of my pure essence of humanity. And it's not my job to answer your questions, I sneer at your pleas, I spit at your imperfections. I am here to judge you and to be disgusted by you. Every second of my existence among you hurts me like a thousand hot coals, every moment is an insult to my majesty, but I shall bear it all because there must be a judge ready to count your sins.

- the winning platform

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

afeelgoodpoop posted:

The only group other than woke twitter that patriates strangers opinions as if they're true is the alt right. Both of them have created ridiculous fake racial myths. Only with woke twitter allys have to swallow any common sense and act as though hearsay is true.

It is incredibly toxic to leftism at large.

I'm sorry, but if someone is telling me about some awful poo poo that happened to them and my first thought were, "they're probably lying, it's common sense that stuff like that doesn't happen." I'd worry that I was off my meds for too long or on them too long or something because that's lacking in basic decency.

It's not easy to talk about awful stuff that happens to you. A large part of it is because of people like you.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
None of the independent voters voted for Trump because of his racism or sexism. No democratic voters stayed home because of Hillary's progressive views. None of this was about bigotry, and the failure of the democratic party to realize that is exactly how that happened.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

John_A_Tallon posted:

You're threatening them with the great white god?

oh i thought stern swirly was some kind of milk-based drink. sorry

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.

MiddleOne posted:

Within 3 hours of Trump becoming the winner of the election Danish medical company Novo Nordisk gained 7% on the stock market within 5 minutes of it opening. This is a company that announced that it was going to cut hundreds of workers just a month ago citing price falls in the US market. So why the quick turnaround? Crushing Obamacare means medicine prices going back up again.

I looked at the same strange pattern with biotechs, a lot of companies that I find are pretty much ready for bankruptcy unless a miracle happens like Uniqure and Zafgen have gained good solid 5-10% too. Almost as if there's expectation that there would be more lax regulation...

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bad Decision Dino posted:

None of the independent voters voted for Trump because of his racism or sexism. No democratic voters stayed home because of Hillary's progressive views. None of this was about bigotry, and the failure of the democratic party to realize that is exactly how that happened.

this is wrong.

"none of this was about bigotry"?

are you loving serious?

(also :ssh: there's no such thing as independent voters)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Lol I bet Ted Cruz can't wait to campaign for Trump again in 4 years. No one's saltier.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

eightpole posted:

oh i thought stern swirly was some kind of milk-based drink. sorry

It's made from milk, toast, and served on the stern of your yacht of course.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I think a lot of people in this thread can take a lesson from Bill Maher:

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/watch-bill-maher-sum-up-trump-a-racist-a-liar-a-tax-cheat-a-deadbeat-a-sexual-predator/

quote:

“It’s not funny,” Maher said of Trump’s presidential candidacy. “This is a different thing. I did a whole mea culpa on my show Friday night, I talked about Mitt Romney, George Bush, Reagan, McCain like it was the end of the world. It would never have been the end of the world with those guys. This is different. This guy is different.”

I couldn't find any article that had another important part, but we he went on to talk about how it's hard to connect with people even who already are against Trump, but are apathetic or still leaning Republican in general, and convince them to do something when you've so overused sensationalized and over the top statements in the past about people and now you actually really mean it.

It's too late by this point, but maybe you'll all remember that in four years.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Smart Car posted:

I don't think all republicans would support that.

E: Keep in mind a lot of them want to become president at some point themselves, declaring someone president for life goes directly against that interest.

Yeah but I think that any republican who goes against Trump will get purged, they don't matter. As far as the other bit goes are there no people with ambition in despotic governments? I don't see a reason to assume that the ambitious are unique to democracies.

People who say that this is impossible don't sound any different to the people who said that Trump winning was impossible and look what happened there.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

None of the independent voters voted for Trump because of his racism or sexism.

They did despite it, which is quite bad.

Any discussion of how Trump 'had a winning economic message' or whatever also needs to grapple with the fact that this economic message went hand in hand with behavior and words that, until a year and a half ago, most Democrats and Republicans would have assumed would destroy any Presidential candidacy immediately.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

kartikeya posted:

You know how right after things were getting called, posters were all 'haha, dumb Democrats will now run to the right'? That's what's going on in this garbage thread. A whole bunch of self described progressives are scared because Trump won, and some of them voted for Hillary and some of them sat out or went third party, so now it's run run run to the safe white 'not actually racist really guys' end of the pool and call all the minorities grifting liars while demanding they should have done more to save us all' time. There was also a legit freakout about women in the other thread and how they can't be trusted as candidates or to vote properly...you know, despite the majority of Trump's voters being men.
A handful of posters in USPOL != the Democratic party.

I've seen no indication that the lesson the Democrats are taking from this is that they need to run to the right. I know you are hell-bent on equating any talk of refocusing on class issues to be proof of some renewed racism on the left... but that is not the case.

While we're on the subject I think we're really, really lucky that Bernie Sanders ran and that he had the success that he did. If he had not then the liberals in the DNC would be able to make a much more convincing case that the answer is more triangulation. It's because of his primary run that they absolutely can not make that argument now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You've gone off the deep end man. Did you hear the poo poo Trump supporters were yelling at his rallies?

To claim none of this is about bigotry is burying your head in the sand.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I'm sorry, but if someone is telling me about some awful poo poo that happened to them and my first thought were, "they're probably lying, it's common sense that stuff like that doesn't happen." I'd worry that I was off my meds for too long or on them too long or something because that's lacking in basic decency.

It's not easy to talk about awful stuff that happens to you. A large part of it is because of people like you.

yeah this. if my approach to someone telling me (or reading on twitter or whatever) was "they're lying lol" then I would become deeply concerned about my capacity for good

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Waffles Inc. posted:

this is wrong.

"none of this was about bigotry"?

are you loving serious?

(also :ssh: there's no such thing as independent voters)
Racists and sexists will never vote Dem, no matter how much you shame them. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Looking at how the DNC has been doing poorly in pretty much every facet of American elections this was only a matter of time. The idea that congress was basically ceded to the Republicans (until another wave election and who can predict that) and that the President would be the Dem's forever was stupid and it was only a matter of time until eventually someone hosed up and the Republicans snuck someone in and then it would be the same nightmare of them going crazy. I don't think any of us really thought it would be Trump but it was an irresponsible and arrogant strategy and could only last until people got uninterested in voting which happened quicker than they thought.

Kilroy posted:

A handful of posters in USPOL != the Democratic party.

I've seen no indication that the lesson the Democrats are taking from this is that they need to run to the right. I know you are hell-bent on equating any talk of refocusing on class issues to be proof of some renewed racism on the left... but that is not the case.

While we're on the subject I think we're really, really lucky that Bernie Sanders ran and that he had the success that he did. If he had not then the liberals in the DNC would be able to make a much more convincing case that the answer is more triangulation. It's because of his primary run that they absolutely can not make that argument now.

Yeah without Bernie there would probably be a lot more "well all labor is racist so gently caress 'em" sentiment from upper class Democrats.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 10, 2016

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Racists and sexists will never vote Dem, no matter how much you shame them. Sorry you had to find out this way.

yeah, good thing too

i don't see your point

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

This is such an odd denial, I mean nobody reasonable is saying it was the ONLY reason but here you are saying that it played ZERO part in the candidate people chose which just flies in the face of both common sense and the eyeball test.

Are you like 13?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

You're just thick and obtuse, that's obvious now.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BarbarianElephant posted:

I wouldn't be so happy. When they realise that President Trump couldn't do what he said, they will not think "Gosh! We were wrong about far right politicians! We were wrong to blame minorities for our economic problems! We should all work together to build a healthy society." No. They will say "Trump tried to bring the jobs back, but those traitorous liberals, lying Jewish media, and terrorist Muslims worked together to prevent him and things got worse! We need to see people die for this! Vote President NeoHitler!"

Well if the other party just calls them racist, and only promises welfare they won't vote for the other party. Really this election is like the election of Law and Justice in Poland. You cannot just get to power and maintain power by saying you're the status quo when the status quo isn't helping. You have to be very clear you offer something new if the status quo sucks. You cannot just say "we're already great". You cannot just use celebrity endorsements to get people out, you have to find common causes for your disparate groups to come together.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

What if your first thought is, "That's too bad. I hope they're not lying. Well, I'm going to go back to my life now. Maybe I'll hear more about it later."? Because I'd say that is a more accurate description of how many people approach news about victimization that doesn't affect them or someone they have a vested interest in.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

WampaLord posted:

You've gone off the deep end man. Did you hear the poo poo Trump supporters were yelling at his rallies?

To claim none of this is about bigotry is burying your head in the sand.
I am not saying that none of Trumps supporters are racist. I am not saying that I do not believe every racist, sexist and bigot in the country did not vote Trump. I am saying that this was lost on failing to appeal to non-racist people who are deeply concerned about their jobs. This wasn't about racism.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

I wouldn't be so happy. When they realise that President Trump couldn't do what he said, they will not think "Gosh! We were wrong about far right politicians! We were wrong to blame minorities for our economic problems! We should all work together to build a healthy society." No. They will say "Trump tried to bring the jobs back, but those traitorous liberals, lying Jewish media, and terrorist Muslims worked together to prevent him and things got worse! We need to see people die for this! Vote President NeoHitler!"

Probably not.

If things go to poo poo under Trump's presidency, Republicans will lose elections. They did under Bush.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I am not saying that none of Trumps supporters are racist. I am not saying that I do not believe every racist, sexist and bigot in the country did not vote Trump. I am saying that this was lost on failing to appeal to non-racist people who are deeply concerned about their jobs. This wasn't about racism.

If you voted for trump you implicitly endorsed a racist and racist policies, making you complicit in racism, which is a form of racism

hth

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Waffles Inc. posted:

If you voted for trump you implicitly endorsed a racist and racist policies, making you complicit in racism, which is a form of racism

hth

What if I voted for Jill Stein? Or that libertain fucker, whoever that was?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I, alone in the world, am not a product of circumstances, but a being willed into existence through its own subject. I am the sole arbiter of all causes and effects, and I can tell who is found lacking in the face of my pure essence of humanity. And it's not my job to answer your questions, I sneer at your pleas, I spit at your imperfections. I am here to judge you and to be disgusted by you. Every second of my existence among you hurts me like a thousand hot coals, every moment is an insult to my majesty, but I shall bear it all because there must be a judge ready to count your sins.

- the winning platform

I think the discussion more is about how targeting trump voters specifically isn't really necessary, this seems like its attacking a point I'm not seeing discussed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Trump got less votes than Romney (and Hillary). He's absolutely hated by a large part of the country and that won't change after 4 years of loving the country. The GOP Congress will now be on the defensive, especially after repealing Obamacare turns out to not be the panacea they promised. They'll overreach and probably gut Social Security or some poo poo too.

In the meantime, we'll purge the worthless Clinton wing. The Lost Cause of the Berniebros will grow as a bitter myth. In 2020 Tulsi Gabbard will run on an economic leftwing platform. She will win. But only if you stop whining and start working.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

Well if the other party just calls them racist, and only promises welfare they won't vote for the other party. Really this election is like the election of Law and Justice in Poland. You cannot just get to power and maintain power by saying you're the status quo when the status quo isn't helping. You have to be very clear you offer something new if the status quo sucks. You cannot just say "we're already great". You cannot just use celebrity endorsements to get people out, you have to find common causes for your disparate groups to come together.

Yeah the Democrats deluded themselves into thinking that most Americans are cool with the status quo as their jobs are shipped overseas or replaced with robots. There may be no getting some of those jobs back but don't act like people complaining have no legitimacy. There was too much hubris that the voters would follow the party and anyone that didn't should be cut loose as "undependable."

Mantis42 posted:

Trump got less votes than Romney (and Hillary). He's absolutely hated by a large part of the country and that won't change after 4 years of loving the country. The GOP Congress will now be on the defensive, especially after repealing Obamacare turns out to not be the panacea they promised. They'll overreach and probably gut Social Security or some poo poo too.

In the meantime, we'll purge the worthless Clinton wing. The Lost Cause of the Berniebros will grow as a bitter myth. In 2020 Tulsi Gabbard will run on an economic leftwing platform. She will win. But only if you stop whining and start working.

Heard on the radio some Trump supporters are excited because when the GOP undoes the ACA (which they actually liked somewhat) they are gonna get a great replacement! Lots of America just has no clue how bad the GOP has gotten in eight years and are in for a shocking surprise when it starts affecting them. The Clinton wing has been a problem for years but no one had the power to push them out but now it's crystal clear they aren't wanted so anyone allying with them is a fool.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 10, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trump-associated hate crimes are already occurring.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/a-black-church-burned-in-the-name-of-trump/506246/
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/clout/400560361.html
https://twitter.com/Anthony19145/status/796405156006989824

I'm also seeing multiple first-hand accounts (and of course they can't be photographed) of people yelling threats at visibly non-white people.

I don't recall all of that happening after any Presidential election in my lifetime.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

John_A_Tallon posted:

It's made from milk, toast, and served on the stern of your yacht of course.

i was thinking mainly a mcflurry with vodka but this works as well

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

- the winning platform

This, but unironically.

So then what's the harm in shaming them?

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm also seeing multiple first-hand accounts (and of course they can't be photographed) of people yelling threats at visibly non-white people.

I don't recall all of that happening after any Presidential election in my lifetime.

Uh, I'm not sure if you got the memo but race played no part in this election. I read it here.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Probably not.

If things go to poo poo under Trump's presidency, Republicans will lose elections. They did under Bush.

So what you're saying is the thing he said would happen after things go to poo poo under Trump already has precedent?

quote:

Bush tried to bring the jobs back, but those traitorous liberals, lying Jewish media, and terrorist Muslims worked together to prevent him and things got worse! We need to see people die for this! Vote President Trump!

Not that people are really convinced Bush tried to revitalise the economy, but the general sentiment is the same.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

John_A_Tallon posted:

Are either of their policies racist? If not then you're good? I still think it's incredibly damaging to vote third party in the face of Donald Trump but hey

I don't understand why that's relevant

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 10, 2016

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
We literally had Dylan Roof and lynchings but but but people lie

Lmao get the f u c k o u t

Armani fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 10, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Waffles Inc. posted:

hth

Yes, to an extent, but then what do yo do, to you shame them? Or do you try to get them on your side? Also Waffels what about the 7 million who chose not to vote this time?

Radish posted:

Yeah the Democrats deluded themselves into thinking that most Americans are cool with the status quo as their jobs are shipped overseas or replaced with robots. There may be no getting some of those jobs back but don't act like people complaining have no legitimacy. There was too much hubris that the voters would follow the party and anyone that didn't should be cut loose as "undependable."

Yeah I think we need to really focus on working with Fight for Fifteen to start taking over local parties and just appeal from there, rather then by trying to expect the DNC to get its head on straight. Yes we should have a goal of destroying the DNC clintonites, just don't plan on it.

Mantis42 posted:

This.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

John_A_Tallon posted:

Libertarians are packed to bursting with white supremacists and neo-confederates, they just have a thin veneer of intellectualism over their bigotry. So you tell me.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/a-black-church-burned-in-the-name-of-trump/506246/
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/clout/400560361.html
https://twitter.com/Anthony19145/status/796405156006989824

Sorry, but that's not good enough. You need to have it video'd from at least three different angles of the vandalism itself being done in order for any posters here to trust this is real.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

sumie posted:

I looked at the same strange pattern with biotechs, a lot of companies that I find are pretty much ready for bankruptcy unless a miracle happens like Uniqure and Zafgen have gained good solid 5-10% too. Almost as if there's expectation that there would be more lax regulation...

The markets have no idea what to do so they are switching to the default 'Republicans control 3 branches of government' plan.

An unknown but huge amount of risk has been injected into every facet of the global economic system - large enough and unquantifiable enough to make it impossible to react properly. So they are just cruising along until something terrible happens and will react then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
My reflection since the outcome:

As a disappointed progressive liberal, I'm a well-wisher, in that I don't wish him any specific harm. My primary concern with his presidency is not even policy-based. It's two-fold; one, he doesn't strike me as a very curious individual, which I consider a necessary characteristic in a leader, and two, he has by all accounts (including his own people) about a 20 minute attention span and the issues his working class supporters need him to fix are complex. If he delegates to Paul Ryan, whose signature issue is the Ryan Budget, which has as one of its tentpole features widespread and dramatic cuts to the social safety net, he'll betray his base. Rural white America heavily depends on Medicare, food stamps, social security, even Planned Parenthood and community health clinics.

• Locked thread